New Antenna Any Good?

I recently had a new TV antenna and RG6 cabling installed by a local antenna installer in the Northern Suburb of Thomastown Melbourne.

The antenna he installed is a ten element yagi type.

This antenna is a much smaller version and has shorter elements than the pevious analog one I had.

He explained to me that the new digital frequencies that are in use now don't require the longer elements used in the analog antennas.

i have checked my street address on the governments my switch website and it says that the coverage for my area is good.

The antenna model p/n is HG-636 digital only and locally made in Geelong Vic.

It seems to be working okay but I want to ask an installer on this forum of their opinion of this type of antenna.

Here is the link below to images of the antenna.

Cheers.

http://www.higainant...mages-Page1.jpg

Edited by softel

I want to ask an installer on this forum of their opinion of this type of antenna.

From the pic, it's a combination VHF/UHF.

There are no specifications shown on the website to determine exactly which bands it's designed for, but likely to be bands 3, 4 and possibly 5 as well.

Combination antennas are fine for use in good signal areas.

Can't really see much from the photo but it certainly looks like it's cut for Ch6 and above ( ie band 3,4,etc) which is what you want. As for it's mechanical construction my preference would be a full clamshell rather than just underneath element supports but if it's installed properly and is of good quality material it should hopefully last you 10-20 years.

Normally don't have too many problems with signal in Thomastown.

Cheers gents and thanks for your replies.

The pics it displays are pretty descent on my panasonic plasma tv.

I have noticed that none of my neighbours or surrounding areas have got this type of antenna and instead are all running the old big element types.

That is why I was curious in asking the question to you proffesionals as i was not familiar with the new smaller shorter element types.

It looks descently constructed and locally made so hopefully should last me many years.

Edited by softel

The very long elements on older antennas are only intended for ABC analogue Ch2. (and some include the FM radio band)

As digital TV only uses channels 6 and above, those longer elements are not required.

The picture quality of digital will not vary with different antennas, unlike how it can with analogue, providing there is sufficient signal strength and more importantly, signal 'quality'.

With digital, there are basically three states of reception... perfect, breaking up and none.. and there can be a very fine line between all three in poor reception areas.

As mentioned, Thomastown is generally a good reception area, so almost any antenna should work well for you there.