Rear Surround-speaker Positioning In 5.1 Set-up.

I am moving into a new house and the positioning of the rear surround speakers is giving me a headache.

I won't be able to put them in the ideal spot which is on each side of the listening position. The rear wall is about 2m from where I will be seated. I read on one site that it is OK to mount the speakers on the rear wall, facing forward.

I'm wondering if anyone has done that and how successful it has been, and how high they have been mounted? I will be doing the Audyssey set-up but the Denon manual makes no mention of this alternative positioning for the speakers.

Thanks.

I am moving into a new house and the positioning of the rear surround speakers is giving me a headache.

I won't be able to put them in the ideal spot which is on each side of the listening position. The rear wall is about 2m from where I will be seated. I read on one site that it is OK to mount the speakers on the rear wall, facing forward.

I'm wondering if anyone has done that and how successful it has been, and how high they have been mounted? I will be doing the Audyssey set-up but the Denon manual makes no mention of this alternative positioning for the speakers.

Thanks.

didn't read

Edited by Spewka

Thanks.

Are they the rear surrounds in a 7.1 system or the surrounds / side-surrounds in a 5.1 or 7.1 system?

If they are the surrounds then they should be mounted at 90 to 115 degrees if at all possible. If the back wall places them at 115 degrees or less then it is fine. If not ; but there is no choice, then there is no choice.

Would then try to get them in the corners of the back wall as that would hopefully get them as close to 115 degrees as possible.

Re height, about 2 metres up should be fine and slightly pointed down ( 15 degrees'ish) towards the main listening position given they are direct firing speakers.

The speakers are Mission 7DS surround speakers, used as the rears of a 5.1 system. Audyssey and Dolby say they should be to my right and left, facing me at that 90-115 degree angle as mentioned.

Maybe I could put them on the rear walls on some sort of swivel bracket to try to get the right angles.

Anyway, thanks for the replies.

my rear speakers are setup where my SL is about 2m further from listening position than the SR

ill see if i can get a pic to show you, but audessy did an ok job at sorting it out

Edited by tomee

Are they facing forward or at an angle?

the missons are pretty wide dispersion, and being bi-pole/dipole not so demanding in location. I have used similar speakers in richter hydras in a rear location for a 5.1 setup. picture a couch with the surrounds located on wall behind facing forward and about 1.5-1.8m apart.

as suggested let the denon do all calibration and should end up with satisfactory result :)

Are they facing forward or at an angle?

Facing forwards but at the extreme edges of the rear wall which is 4m wide. The speakers are too heavy to find a bracket capable of angling them in AND keep them above the windows. I have to lift them higher soon for block out curtains and a pelmet to fit underneath. See a photo of the rushed set up for this years AFL GF.

I guess everybody's preferences are different but to my ear having them wide and behind is less distracting than closer and more to the sides. I still get localised effects when required but it gives what I consider a more lifelike and natural sound. Dipoles would also help in that situation too I guess.

Edited by blybo