Is My Elektra Theatron Dead!?

Hi guys, long time no post...

I just turned on my setup at home and my power amp made a loud pop! I noticed a red LED inside the case and then it popped again so I quickly turned it off. I could smell burning.

So is it toast? Is it an easy fix or an insurance job?

Cheers in advance,

skin.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was the noise from the speakers or the amp itself? Loud pop's or crack sounds from the amp itself are often a capacitor blowing, but I certainly wouldn't call it "dead" or go writing it off. It will most certainly be able and worthy to be repaired and even if it's out of warranty it's unlikely to be costly. As the person above suggested it would be wise to give Arthur (or the place of purchase) a phone call and have a chat.

If for some reason it was something external that lead to it being faulty/damaged you will still need to have the damage and cause assessed by someone qualified to do so for a successful insurance claim to be made.

The pops were definately from the amp.

I have Arthur's contact details so I will ask him what happened.

All the best... And when arthur gets back to you, can you tell me what's wrong? How long did you have your amp for before this?

All the best... And when arthur gets back to you, can you tell me what's wrong? How long did you have your amp for before this?

I just sent him an email and he replied within minutes.

He said it can be fixed and asked me to send it to him. Worse case $120 to fix.

I bought my Theatron secondhand from these very forums (from Curious) in December 2009. It has been faultless since then and never skipped a beat.

I am guess it is just a couple of blown capacitors or fuses. It didn't catch on fire or anything, it just popped twice.

Edited by skinXBWAU

I just sent him an email and he replied within minutes.

He said it can be fixed and asked me to send it to him. Worse case $120 to fix.

I bought my Theatron secondhand from these very forums (from Curious) in December 2009. It has been faultless since then and never skipped a beat.

I am guess it is just a couple of blown capacitors or fuses. It didn't catch on fire or anything, it just popped twice.

That a pretty good price. As you know here in Adelaide most electronic repair shops want about $65 to look at it.

Sorry to hear about the drama Skin, let me know if you want me to pick up for you or drop off anywhere :)

Cheers,

Curious

Thanks for the offer but it isn't costing that much to freight. To be honest, I could not be happier with it.

It has served me faultlessly up to this point and I haven't gone easy on it. A lesser amp would be a smouldering pile of junk by now.

Really - or joke?

I've had a few things wrecked by mouse p*ss but no f'n cat is getting near my HT gear.

Yep, cat piss. We have a male and a female and the male sometimes sprays if there are strays outside at night. I guess he was claiming the Elektra for himself.

shizenhousen.....I know what i'd be doing with any animal that pissed on my gear ;)

I know what I would be doing with the gear a cat pissed on. It must pong :huh: . Knowing Arthur he is a very delicate petal :) He will probably pass out as soon as he pops the cover. Stale pussy juice YUK!! :D

Edited by Crist