Digital Radio Stations List

GoForMoe

The SBS has released a confusing press release announcing a new digital radio service called SBS Arabic24, which is due to start on 7 March 2016.

SBS Arabic24 seems to be a internet streaming service that will simulcast the Arabic programs on DAB+ radio stations SBS Radio2 and SBS PopAraby, as well as the BBC Arabic language service. There will apparently be a new Arabic language Drive Time Show between 4 pm to 6pm

The press release also mentions that SBS Arabic24 will be broadcast on Digial Television as a audio stream in a few months time.

The SBS is not the only broadcaster confused by the term "digital radio". The ABC has in the past issued similar confusing press releases.

• 2 weeks later...

Unlike the ABC, the SBS does reply to complaints.

i received the following reply to my complaint:

"Our new service is a digital radio station - available on DAB+ digital radio. It will be replacing the current channel you see on digital radio 'SBS PopAraby'. You can re-scan and find SBS Arabic24 on your digital radio from March 7 (SBS PopAraby name will change over to SBS Arabic24 when the new station starts broadcasting).

And indeed will will also simulcat this digital radio station on our website and via our mobile app. The Arabic breakfast show is also available on Am/FM."

As SBS PopAraby is not currently broadcast to Canberra on either DAB+ or digital tv, SBS Arabic24 will only be available to Canberra listeners through the internet.

• 4 months later...

Are the two commercial Melbourne multiplexes currently down? I am not getting any commercial or community stations on DAB+, but ABC & SBS are fine.

ABC Radio National and ABC Local radio are off the air on AM, but this is part of a planned outage.

Are the two commercial Melbourne multiplexes currently down? I am not getting any commercial or community stations on DAB+, but ABC & SBS are fine.

ABC Radio National and ABC Local radio are off the air on AM, but this is part of a planned outage.

• 4 months later...

I see that  several years' worth of posts are missing from the beginning of this thread. For reference, there was a predecessor thread to this one, the last post of which was this: 

Tonight, in Brisbane, I performed a rescan with my Roberts ecologic 4 DAB+ radio. Below are the service names, together with the nominal bitrate for each service, as displayed by the radio. (I found the three Coles services at 16kbps interesting. I had not heard such low nominal bitrates before on DAB+.)

9A: 202.928MHz

Nova1069 – 64kbps

Coles Radio – 40kbps

Koffee – 40kbps

SmoothFM - 64kbps

Coles TAS - 16kbps

Coles CBD – 16kbps

Coles WA – 16kbps

4TAB ONE – 64kbps

4TAB TWO – 64kbps

97 3 Brisbane – 48kbps

4KQ Classic Hits – 48kbps

The Edge – 32kbps

The 90s – 32kbps

CW Remix – 32kbps

The 80s – 32kbps

Elf Radio – 32kbps

EON Sports Radio - 32kbps

Global – 48kbps

96 FiveDg – 48kbps

4AAA 989 – 64kbps

4 RPH Digital – 64kbps

Christmas Hope – 48kbps

9B:204.640 MHz

hit105 – 56kbps

Triple M – 56kbps

Classic Rock - 56kbps

OMG ! - 48kbps

Easy Radio – 48kbps

Buddha Radio - 48kbps

TheRange – Country - 32kbps

Oldskool – 48kbps

Kinderling Kids – 48kbps

4BC1116 NewsTalk - 104kbps

Magic 882 – 104kbps

News Talk Sport – 48kbps

1116 4BC – 104kbps

* Magic 882 * - 104kbps

ZedDigital – 64kbps

Switch Digital – 64kbps

MBS light – 64kbps

9C: 206.352MHz

612 ABC Brisbane - 64kbps

ABCRadioNational - 64kbps

ABC Classic FM - 80kbps

ABC Grandstand - 40kbps

triple j - 80kbps

ABCNewsRadio – 48kbps

Double J – 80kbps

ABC Jazz – 80kbps

ABC Country – 80kbps

ABC Extra - 72kbps

triplejUnearthed - 72kbps

SBS Radio 1 - 40kbps

SBS Radio 2 - 40kbps

SBS Chill - 56kbps

SBS PopAsia - 64kbps

SBS Arabic24 - 48kbps

SBS PopDesi – 48kbps

SBS Radio 3 – 40kbps

SBS Radio 4 - 48kbps

• 1 month later...

G'day All,

That Brisbane list is interesting and confusing. How can 4BC and Magic be using 464kbps in total, isn't their limit 256kbps? I'd be guessing 208kbps is really a redirectional shortcut

I've seen references to Coles having an additional 3 services heard in Brisbane, it doesn't happen here in Melbourne, and I haven't heard any other city claim it either, but it is strange

I did a scan on 2nd of October, this is what I found

202.928MHz - Melbourne 9A

1377 3MP - 56kbps

1116 SEN - 56kbps

Aussie - 56kbps

KOOOL - 56kbps

RSN Carnival - 48kbps

RSN Carnival 2 - 24kbps

RSN - 64kbps

TAB Live - 24kbps

Coles Radio - 40kbps

Koffee - 40kbps

Nova 100 - 112kbps

Smoothfm - 64kbps

3MBS - 64kbps

3RRR - 64kbps

3ZZZ - 64kbps

Light Digital - 32kbps

IRIS Melbourne - 32kbps

Rythmos - 32kbps

204.640MHz - Melbourne 9B

3AW - 96kbps

Magic - 64kbps

NTS - 64kbps

Buddha Radio - 48kbps

Easy - 48kbps

Kinderling Kids - 48kbps

Oldskool - 48kbps

OMG! - 48kbps

Triple M - 56kbps

Fox - 56kbps

CW Remix - 32kbps

EON Sports Radio - 32kbps

Gold 104.3 - 48kbps

KIIS 101.1 - 48kbps

The 80's - 32kbps

The 90's - 32kbps

The Edge - 32kbps

3CR Digital - 64kbps

3Kool 'n' Deadly - 64kbps

VAR - 32kbps

PBS Digital - 64kbps

SYN - 64kbps

206.352 - Melbourne 9C

774 ABC Melbourne - 64kbps

ABC Classic FM - 80kbps

ABC Jazz - 80kbps

ABC Country - 80kbps

ABC Extra - 72kbps

ABC Grandstand - 40kbps

ABC News Radio - 48kbps

ABC Radio National - 64kbps

SBS Arabic 24 - 48kbps

SBS PopDesi - 48kbps

SBS Radio 1 - 40kbps

SBS Radio 2 - 40kbps

SBS Radio 3 - 40kbps

SBS Radio 4 - 48kbps

SBS PopAsia - 64kbps

SBS Chill - 56kbps

triple j - 80kbps

triple j unearthed - 72kbps

Double J - 80kbps

Edited by McDigital

McDigital,

Not only that Magic is in the list twice on the same transmitter.

The total bit rates for 9A = 896 kbit/s, 9B = 1096 kbit/s and 9C = 1144 kbit/s shows that there is plenty of spare capacity on the commercial/community transmitters. The ACMA did relax the rules about bit rate per program. They are more worried about the equity between broadcasters.

MLXXX stated previously "Well the two classical music stations I might be interested in listening to, are not at an adequate bitrate for my hearing. On the other hand, there is a pop music service at a reasonable bitrate here in Brisbane: Magic 882 (formerly 4BH882 BestSongs) at 104kbps nominal [about 85kbps for the audio stream, as now revealed with the Gsinn player]."

I suspect that the extra data may be a slide show.

Alanh

5 hours ago, McDigital said:

How can 4BC and Magic be using 464kbps in total, isn't their limit 256kbps? I'd be guessing 208kbps is really a redirectional shortcut

Yes, I'd say so.  On previous lists for Brisbane,  I notated which services appeared to be duplicates. I'm not in Brisbane to check now. However 4BC and Magic are almost certainly duplicated, i.e. where there are similar names and the same bitrate it is probably one and the same service, with two "handles".

Each AM and FM commercial broadcaster was allocated 128 Kbps per licence.  Brisbane has 8 commercial stations so this accounts for 8 of the 14 128Kbps slots available for commercial broadcasting in Brisbane.  As for the six remaining slots, the capacity was auctioned off among the existing broadcasters, so it is possible for a broadcaster with two licenses to obtain more than 256 Kbps of DAb+ capacity.  Community radio has 512 Kbps allocated to it in Brisbane and the ABC and SBS share a multiplex among themselves.

Another possibility is that it is possible for a multiplexes to have more than the 1152 Kbps it would be expected to have from the 9 x 128 Kbps slots that it is supposed to have.  The extra capacity can be obtained by skimping on the error correction.

As for doubling up, I don't know the situation in Brisbane, as i'm in Melbourne, but there was a time when 3AW had two different channels, 3AW and 3AW+ which was just a repeat of 3AW, but with a different bitrate.  So it's possible that some stations are repeated in Brisbane.

Edited by Ron12

I haven't bothered correcting Alan for some time, but just feel in the mood to do it now.

Alan, what does the Australian technical specs say for our DAB+ terrestrial transmissions? Answer: Use transmission mode I, so the new ETSI specs makes no difference to our DAB+ transmissions as far as that's concerned.

Also don't let the facts get in the way of a good story, the new ETSI standards haven't been fully approved, adopted & publicated yet, the work schedule doesn't expect full approval & adoption to happen till the end of June, & Publication of the standards not until mid July 2017, so everything still operates under the current standards. https://portal.etsi.org/webapp/workprogram/Report_Schedule.asp?WKI_ID=50097

As Ron says, yes even within those standards you can get more than 1152 kbit/s by reducing the error correction, (it's done in Sydney, by various stations at various times), though it's not really worth it. I've heard quite a few people comment negatively about the increased drop outs, when a station is using error correction level 4 instead of level 3.

RFBurns,

It was approved a few days ago. The work schedule is not upto date, you need to look at their news page.

What does it have to do with us? The Europeans are the biggest market for DAB+ radios and manufacturers comply with ETSI standards which is the European Technical Standards Institute. So manufacturers will no longer need to make radios to decode transmission modes 2 - 4. Since we have no radio manufacturing, then if the broadcasters use Modes 2 - 4 some radios will not work.

https://www.saiglobal.com/PDFTemp/Previews/OSH/AS/AS4000/4900/4943.1-2009.pdf shows extensive referencing to ETSI standards, however this latest modification will not be shown as the Australian standard was written in 2009.

Alanh

Alan, did you even read the work schedule at the link I posted?

Of course it's up to date, that link is on the ETSI web site.

Approved, yes. Formally adopted & put to publication, NO.

As for DAB+ radio manufactures not making receivers with transmission modes 2-4 any longer, it's insignificant to us, we don't use any of those modes, it's in our standard to use mode 1.

Why the hell would any broadcasters, now start to use modes 2-4, when it's not in our standards & we only use DAB+ terrestrially?

Of course our standards use/reference ETSI standards, but dropping transmission modes 2-4 out of the ETSI standards has no affect to us in Australia because they're not used here.

RF Burns,

I had already read the work schedule. As well as the amended standard.

Regardless, it is irrelevant, because Transmission mode 1 gives the highest bit rate anyway. The reason broadcasters don't want to use modes 2 - 4 is because the maximum data rate is lower so they can transmit less program streams. The other transmission modes give more protection from sound breakup particularly if single frequency networks are to be used. There is only 8 of those available in the populated areas of Australia, because TV is using the other possible DAB+ channels.  In current full time broadcasting there is 3 channels used in Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne with a pair in each of Adelaide and Perth. With a minimum spacing of 336 km between 50 kW erp transmitters this severely limits growth of new transmitters in adjacent areas, where non identical programming is used.

Alanh

On 1/9/2017 at 3:09 PM, McDigital said:

That Brisbane list is interesting and confusing. How can 4BC and Magic be using 464kbps in total, isn't their limit 256kbps? I'd be guessing 208kbps is really a redirectional shortcut

MDigital, I'm back in Brisbane now. Here are the start addresses for the various program streams on channel 9B, as shown tonight by SDR software controlling a USB stick radio:

Brisbane DAB+ 9B      

Name Start address Length Bit rate
hit105 86 42 56

Triple M 138 42 56
Classic Rock 138 42 56

TheRange-Country 180 24 32
OMG ! 204 36 48
Buddha Radio 240 36 48
Easy Radio 276 36 48
Oldskool 312 36 48
Kinderling Kids 348 36 48

4BC1116 News Talk 384 78 104
1116 4BC 384 78 104

Magic 882 462 78 104
* Magic 882 * 462 78 104

News Talk Sport 540 36 48
Switch Digital 576 48 64
ZedDigital 624 48 64
MBS light 672 48 64

(I've sorted by start address, and highlighted the duplicate program stream pairs using bold font.)

G'day MLXXX,

That's all solved then, but I wonder if there's a reason for doing that?

Ron12, 3AW's additional service 3AW+ (at a much poorer bitrate) was eventually used for "The Buckle" - so no "shortcuts" in that one, it was just reserved until that came along, which eventually would become NTS when The Buckle closed

As for SCA's problem with bitrates, somehow The Range disappeared a LONG time ago in Melbourne because there's not enough space for them. How come other cities are still able to broadcast it? Did they get outbid in Melbourne for extra spectrum?

1 hour ago, McDigital said:

That's all solved then, but I wonder if there's a reason for doing that?

I don't really know - marketing related perhaps.

However I do recall another scenario. At one stage in Brisbane there was a duplicate stream (I cannot recall which service it was) with different parameters - a lower protection setting. Perhaps the broadcaster was testing the lower protection stream to see the extent to which the usable coverage area was reduced. (A lower protection setting will free up bitrate, but at the expense of a less robust signal.)

15 minutes ago, MLXXX said:

However I do recall another scenario. At one stage in Brisbane there was a duplicate stream (I cannot recall which service it was) with different parameters - a lower protection setting.

BC, I think, a couple of years ago...

• 3 months later...

DAB+ services broadcast in Brisbane as at 17 April 2017

as displayed by the user interface for SDR software (by Andreas Gsinn) operating in conjunction with an RTL2832U USB dongle.

Note re bitrate

The nominal bitrate for a each DAB+ service was reduced by an overhead associated with error correction of about 10%, resulting in a net bitrate. That net bitrate was in most cases allocated at least in part for PAD (program associated data) of text and a slide show image. What remained was used for the actual audio.

The column marked Audio Bitrate shows the approximate mean of what I saw the graphic user interface  displaying for the actual audio bitrate for the service. For example if the displayed audio bitrate alternated between 34.1kbps and 35.1kbps, I approximated that as 34.6kbps.

Listing of the services for the three ensembles:-

9A 202.928MHz CODEC Nominal Audio Comment
DAB+ Brisbane 1   bitrate bitrate  
4AAA 989 Country HE-AAC v1 64 46.5  
4KQ Classic Hits HE-AAC v2 48 34.6  
4RPH Digital HE-AAC v1 64 57.9 nil PAD
4TAB ONE HE-AAC v1 64 33.7 large PAD
4TAB TWO HE-AAC v1 64 40.7  
96Five Digital HE-AAC v2 48 38.7  
97 3 Brisbane HE-AAC v2 48 34.6  
CW Remix HE-AAC v2 32 28.1 small PAD
Christmas Hope HE-AAC v2 48 42.8 small PAD
Coles CBD MONO AAC-LC 16 13.1 nil PAD
Coles Radio HE-AAC v1 40 35.5 small PAD
Coles TAS MONO AAC-LC 16 13.1 nil PAD
Coles WA MONO AAC-LC 16 13.1 nil PAD
Eon Sports Radio HE-AAC v2 32 28.1 small PAD
Global HE-AAC v2 48 37.4  
Koffee HE-AAC v1 40 27.3  
Nova1069 HE-AAC v1 64 50.3  
Smooth FM HE-AAC v1 64 50.3  
The 80s HE-AAC v2 32 20  
The 90s HE-AAC v2 32 20  
The Edge HE-AAC v2 32 28.1 small PAD

9B 204.640 MHz CODEC Nominal Audio Comment
DAB+ Brisbane 2   bitrate bitrate  
* Magic 882 * / Magic 882 AAC-LC 104 85.2 Two logical names for the one service
1116 4BC / 4BC1116NewsTalk AAC-LC 104 85.2 Two logical names for the one service
Buddha Radio HE-AAC v2 48 38.7  
Easy Radio HE-AAC v2 48 38.7  
Kinderling Kids HE-AAC v2 48 34.6  
MBS light HE-AAC v1 64 49.3  
News Talk Sport HE-AAC v2 48 38.7  
OMG ! HE-AAC v2 48 38.7  
Oldskool HE-AAC v2 48 38.7  
Switch Digital HE-AAC v1 64 49.3  
TheRange-Country HE-AAC v2 32 24.1  
Triple M HE-AAC v1 56 46.1  
ZedDigital HE-AAC v1 64 49.3  
hit105 HE-AAC v1 56 46.1  

9C 206.352MHz CODEC Nominal Audio Comment
BR abc&SBS RADIO   bitrate bitrate  
ABC BRISBANE HE-AAC v1 64 49.3  
ABC Classic FM HE-AAC v1 80 63.8  
ABC Country HE-AAC v1 80 47.6 large PAD
ABC Extra HE-AAC v1 72 56.6  
ABC Grandstand MONO HE-AAC v1 40 27.3  
ABC Jazz HE-AAC v1 80 47.6 large PAD
ABCNewsRadio MONO HE-AAC v1 48 34.6  
ABCRadioNational HE-AAC v1 64 49.3  
Double J HE-AAC v1 80 47.6 large PAD
SBS Arabic24 HE-AAC v2 48 37.5  
SBS Chill HE-AAC v1 56 45  
SBS PopAsia HE-AAC v1 64 49.3  
SBS PopDesi HE-AAC v2 48 36.7  
SBS Radio 1 HE-AAC v2 40 34.2 small PAD
SBS Radio 2 HE-AAC v2 40 34.2 small PAD
SBS Radio 3 HE-AAC v2 40 34.2 small PAD
SBS Radio 4 HE-AAC v2 48 40.8  
triple j HE-AAC v1 80 47.6 large PAD
triplejUnearthed HE-AAC v1 72 49.6 large PAD

• 2 months later...

There have been some changes to DAB+ stations in Melbourne, and presumably, most of these apply to Sydney, Brisbane and Adelaide.

First off, EON Sports has disappeared completely from DAB+ and the RadioPlayer app, and although the website still exists, the player doesn't work (continually tries to load the stream).

Meanwhile, there are three new Triple M stations (actually, 2 new, one has made a comeback:

• Triple M Modern Digital (MMM Modern)
  • Triple M Classic Rock Digital (MMM Classic Rock) (yes it's back)
  • Triple M Greatest Hits Digital (MMM Greatest)

Meanwhile in Melborune, Light FM joins Light Digital on DAB+, however currently it's just a rebroadcast of Light Digital.

5 hours ago, Ron12 said:

There have been some changes to DAB+ stations in Melbourne, and presumably, most of these apply to Sydney, Brisbane and Adelaide.

First off, EON Sports has disappeared completely from DAB+

• Triple M Classic Rock Digital (MMM Classic Rock) (yes it's back)

Perth too for the above.
EON has been off for a while and MMM Classic has been on for a couple or few weeks.