Sony Kdl55hx925

Hi all,

Spent an hour or so in the Sony Shop today looking at an upgrade to my 46" XBR and have almost settled on the KDL55HX925, but can't find any threads here on this TV yet, other than a mention here or there. Is there a reason for this? Yes, I did search the sub forums.

I am after blacker blacks and a better picture (if possible), as the prime reason. All of the 3D and Internet stuff really isn't of interest to me.

The look I had seemed to indicate that the KDL55HX925 was a winner here. Comments anyone?

Edited by SimonB

Yes it is very surprising that everyone has ignored this set on this forum, I have one & I am very happy with it, most people here seem to favour the Samsung or Panasonic

I am not entirely sure why.

Because it's not Plasma and most people prefer Plasma for larger TVs?

That about sums it up.

There are reasons to buy an LCD, I have one myself, but picture quality is not one of them.

Professional reviews of the 55HX925 do not indicate this theory at all, there are marginal differences between the best Plasmas & this set.

Clearly a sweeping statement such as yours is not shared by the professional reviews of this particular set which is not an average LCD.

Professional reviews of the 55HX925 do not indicate this theory at all, there are marginal differences between the best Plasmas & this set.

Clearly a sweeping statement such as yours is not shared by the professional reviews of this particular set which is not an average LCD.

If you like it don't let the haters get to you. You are never going to convince Owen of anything that goes against what he already believes, so don't try ;)

Many so called "professional" reviewers miss obvious problems with TV's, either because they are not observant, don't know what to look for or just don't care.

Personal preference of the reviewer also plays a big part, what appeals to them my not appeal to you or me.

The way Plasma produces light is totally different to LCD as are the dynamic characteristics of the two technologies so they will never look the same even when they measure similarly in the basic tests that are used.

Don't put to much weight on what a reviewer says, get out and have a look at the TV in as many different environments as possible with a range of source material, preferable that you know. Play with the settings and make your own assessment.

If you like the look of LCD's in general this Sony should appeal, however if you prefer the Plasma look this Sony LCD is not likely to alter your opinion, nor will any other LCD.

Edited by Owen

• 1 month later...

Mine is on order and I will be getting it within about 3 wks - it is actually in the shop waiting for me to finish my rennos.

I think IMHO that it is the best LED TV out at present but I am sure that others will disagree. I have seen it running next to a Samsung 8000 and I know what picture I liked better - the PQ was close but there was a slight difference and the Sony met my PERSONAL taste better.

The reviews are quite good and it won the recent European awards for LCD for the equivalent overseas model. I have seen it in the shops and I am glad that I checked it out.

@ RObertR as an owner I would like to know what you think of it - honestly as I know it has some small faults.

Cheers

Ben

Edited by Bennyt

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to like the 925, I really did... but I just couldn't get past the blooming... it was like looking at a hazy chessboard every time I watched the credits to a movie...

In that respect, the Samsung D8000 looked better... and with the amazing bezel on the Samsung... I think that's the way to go...

Plasma... phft. If I wanted to look at dithering maybe.

I wanted to like the 925, I really did... but I just couldn't get past the blooming... it was like looking at a hazy chessboard every time I watched the credits to a movie...

In that respect, the Samsung D8000 looked better... and with the amazing bezel on the Samsung... I think that's the way to go...

Plasma... phft. If I wanted to look at dithering maybe.

This is the "haloing" around whites on black background?......sounds like too few LED zones, of course, at 55in, the basic deficiencies of a panel is magnified.

It's quite annoying that they haven't increased the LED zones.....whatever, it means that I can never buy a large LCD as I hate screen uniformity problems more than any other issue.

My understanding is the new Sharp Kuro doesn't have this problem but comes at an obscene cost, but rather than this level of tech be the norm, they're going to keep it in niche products whilst constantly moving from 100-200-400hz and other BS on the regular TV's.

• 2 weeks later...
This is the "haloing" around whites on black background?......sounds like too few LED zones, of course, at 55in, the basic deficiencies of a panel is magnified.

It's quite annoying that they haven't increased the LED zones.....whatever, it means that I can never buy a large LCD as I hate screen uniformity problems more than any other issue.

My understanding is the new Sharp Kuro doesn't have this problem but comes at an obscene cost, but rather than this level of tech be the norm, they're going to keep it in niche products whilst constantly moving from 100-200-400hz and other BS on the regular TV's.

Yes, haloing.

The microdimming zones on the 55" seem to be about 10cm or so wide/high. On the Samsung D8000 i could see the lack of uniformity across the picture, but i don't think that was as annoying as seeing halos around blue/white objects on dark backgrounds

Yes, haloing.

The microdimming zones on the 55" seem to be about 10cm or so wide/high. On the Samsung D8000 i could see the lack of uniformity across the picture, but i don't think that was as annoying as seeing halos around blue/white objects on dark backgrounds

The HX925 is a beautiful TV in just about every other aspect, but the haloing just kills it. SD DTV didn't look that great either on the Sony. I thought the Samsung D8000 did a bit better job. Like others I wanted to like the HX925, but the D8000 just seemed to give better all-round performance.

Andys.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, haloing.

Big plasma FTW!!!