High End Audio System - System update!

Yes,  lifting of another veil with the SE version of AR Ref 3.

I was able to hear very low level background drum sounds on one of my favourite Elvis records  which I've never picked up before and this is a record which i am very familiar with.  Easier to judge system set up accuracy too. Cartridge loading for the Lyra was definitive and reproducible . All aspects of the turntable set up were obvious and easily set with this new version in Mark's system.

Where to from here Mark???

• Like 1
  • Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A new addition to the Death Star.....   I hope they don't fight over The Wiggles record!   Introducing Max Phillip Hoepfl, born 10th June at 7.03 am and weighing 3.33 kgs. We are b

Some of you may have been wondering why it has taken me soooo long to set my system up....   Well, Michelle and I had our Engagement Party yesterday and had a surprise wedding......so surprise!!  

After a (long) year, my system is finally set up in it's new home!    Sounds even better (!) than previous digs due to room size/layout and carpet/concrete floor.    Quite an improvement!   I h

1 minute ago, Cello Sweet. said:

Yes,  lifting of another veil with the SE version of AR Ref 3.

I was able to hear very low level background drum sounds on one of my favourite Elvis records  which I've never picked up before and this is a record which i am very familiar with.  Easier to judge system set up accuracy too. Cartridge loading for the Lyra was definitive and reproducible . All aspects of the turntable set up were obvious and easily set with this new version in Mark's system.

Where to from here Mark???

Thanks for the write up @Cello Sweet.!

Where to indeed Professor.....where to indeed.....!

Couple of upgrades still to come!  ;)

• 2 weeks later...

“Seems like women can still tell the difference between a PS5 console and an air purifier.”

I don't know which is the more remarkable - the achievement or the statement....

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, gemini07 said:

“Seems like women can still tell the difference between a PS5 console and an air purifier.”

I don't know which is the more remarkable - the achievement or the statement....

LOL

They are getting smarter.....

:D

• Like 1

@darthlaker Is there a reason you went with all Audioquest cables? Are you happy with them? I'm thinking about doing the same myself. Have a few cheaper ones (Type 4 speaker cables, Big Sur RCA).

Cheers

Blake.

59 minutes ago, blakey72 said:

@darthlaker Is there a reason you went with all Audioquest cables? Are you happy with them? I'm thinking about doing the same myself. Have a few cheaper ones (Type 4 speaker cables, Big Sur RCA).

Cheers

Blake.

Hi Blake,

AQ are the best I have heard....or not heard...as they allow you to hear MORE!

ESPECIALLY their new power cables and speaker cables.

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...
On 01/01/2021 at 10:00 AM, darthlaker said:

ED3E9D04-818D-403F-AD5C-48942B9CD21C.jpeg

Thats a good deal to keep harmony.lol

• Like 1

When I was in Singapore some of the guys just dropped a digit from the price (!) if their Mrs asked them what their new toy was worth!!!! 

:D

• Haha 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's not often people take the time to build high end systems and then enjoy changing small things which in turn allows for a much better understanding of what is going on.

So I was just looking at your thread and thinking how modestly priced the Ayre mono's  are in comparison.

I see you have the AR pre, do you think you would get  much more moving up the amp chain, perhaps in the AR direction.

I think that once you get to a certain price point any real increase becomes so negligible.

But clearly the pre upgrade has giving good rewards that the amp and speakers allowed to show up.

Or do you just think the Ayres are that good and able to compete with more expensive amps.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, russell66 said:

It's not often people take the time to build high end systems and then enjoy changing small things which in turn allows for a much better understanding of what is going on.

So I was just looking at your thread and thinking how modestly priced the Ayre mono's  are in comparison.

I see you have the AR pre, do you think you would get  much more moving up the amp chain, perhaps in the AR direction.

I think that once you get to a certain price point any real increase becomes so negligible.

But clearly the pre upgrade has giving good rewards that the amp and speakers allowed to show up.

Or do you just think the Ayres are that good and able to compete with more expensive amps.

Thanks Russ.

It’s great to have a transparent system that allows me to hear changes and the degree of the change – and if the result is better than before…..fortunately the results have been!

I have an Ayre pre-amp (KXR-20) and my AR is the REF3 Phono. I also have Ayre MXR-20 mono blocks.

Being in little old Adelaide it would be a large expense for me to try an AR pre-amp and AR mono blocks. Plus the time to do it!

Richard Vandersteen – the designer of my Vandersteen 7 speakers makes his own amps specifically tailored to his higher range of speakers.

One amp is solid state, the other flagship model is tubes.

I emailed him about amps and he said the best amps he has heard with a pair of his model 7 speakers, with the exception of his flagship tube amp, is the Ayre mono blocks.

I was pleased to hear this considering Richard has heard a lot of amps in his time – including AR.

From what I have personally experienced and from what others say (people I trust), the Ayre pre and mono blocks can certainly compete against more expensive amps.

Expensive of course does not mean better. Sometimes it’s a flavor thing. Sometimes it’s a synergy thing. Sometimes it’s flat out average! 😊

Oh of course, i didn't look closely and saw your post on the SE upgrade and assumption did the rest😃

I'll go have a read on some of the Vandersteen amps, i didn't know he made some.

Thats a good recommendation for the amps though. He's a great speaker designer.

Thanks for the reply.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, russell66 said:

Oh of course, i didn't look closely and saw your post on the SE upgrade and assumption did the rest😃

I'll go have a read on some of the Vandersteen amps, i didn't know he made some.

Thats a good recommendation for the amps though. He's a great speaker designer.

Thanks for the reply.  

Richard is a clever cookie.

Took him 10 years of R&D to design his pistonic drivers.

Details and video below:

https://www.vandersteen.com/news/the-truth-about-pistonic-driver-cones

• Like 1