High End Audio System - System update!

Had a quick listen to the the new (upgraded) Audio Research REF3SE Phono.

Initial thoughts: Lower noise floor, FAR more of a blacker background, more "clarity" to the music, less "hash" - smoother perhaps. 

VERY impressed so far. More listening to do.

And yes, alas, more upgrades coming as well....! Stay tuned!

Will it EVER end?!

Upgraded system specs and system pix below.

Equipment:

Vandersteen Model Seven loudspeakers
dCS Puccini SACD/CD player & DAC
dCS Puccini U-Clock

Bauer dps 3/Ayre Turntable

Lyra Atlas cartridge
Ayre KX-R Twenty Pre-amp

Audio Research REF 3SE Phono stage
Ayre MX-R Twenty Monoblock amps
Audioquest Niagara 5000 Power Filter
Melco N1ZH Network Streamer

Cables:

Audioquest Hurricane High Power, Hurricane Source and Thunder 72V DBS power cables  
Audioquest FireBird Mythical Creatures 72V DBS speaker cables in bi-wire configuration (FireBird ZERO and FireBird BASS)
Audioquest WEL William E Low Signature Cable balanced interconnects 72V DBS
Audioquest Diamond 72V DBS USB cable
Audioquest Wild Blue Yonder 72V DBS 75 Ohm digital cable

Audioquest Eagle Eye 72V DBS BNC 75 Ohm digital cable  

Misc:

Solid Tech Rack of Silence equipment racks with suspension shelves

Finite Elemente Pagode turntable wall shelf
Ayre myrtle wood blocks used under all equipment and also under interconnect and power cables to ensure they are raised above floor
Silent Running Audio "Ohio Class" Audio isoBASE custom made amp stands for the Ayre MX-R Twenty Monoblock amps
Cardas XLR and RCA caps on unused inputs/outputs
Audioquest Edison 20A AC duplex power outlet connected to dedicated 20Amp circuit

Audioquest Jitterbugs

Home Theater (in addition to above):

Equipment:

Denon AVR-3312 surround sound receiver

Panasonic DMR-BW750 Blu-Ray player/recorder
XBOX ONE
JBL in ceiling surround loudspeakers
Pioneer PDP-LX509A Plasma monitor (ISF calibrated)

Cables:

Audioquest King Cobra balanced interconnects
Audioquest HDMI cables, rear speaker cable

6_zpseu8njqlo.JPG

14_zpsfxyza1nj.JPG

15_zpsuv7e1uau.JPG

16_zpsholhog9e.JPG

IMG_0230.jpg

IMG_0251.jpg

IMG_1248.jpg

IMG_1260.jpg

IMG_1295.jpg

IMG_1297.jpg

IMG_6033.jpg

IMG_0230CROP.jpg

Edited by darthlaker
  • Like 10

Just received the most beautiful box set I have ever seen.

Keith Richards Talk is Cheap super deluxe box set.

The presentation and the thought that went into the box makes this a unique work of art.

Some details about the box:

They are unique, hand-built and aged by Fender, using the same technique and materials as Keith Richards' Vintage Telecaster "Micawber".

This 2CD and 2Vinyl reissue, in addition to the remastered album 'Talk Is Cheap', also includes 6 additional and unpublished tracks.

The boxed formats "Super Deluxe" and "Deluxe" also include special sheets with the tour, handwritten lyrics, posters, signed metal pick, extensive notes by Anthony De Curtis, which tell the story of the production, release and cultural impact of the album, unpublished photos and exclusive rarities.

It takes 37 Fender employees to make each box, plus 11 other suppliers of additional parts and services: from special wooden boxes to graphics on the chrome control board, to the sawmill that cuts and adapts it. It takes 2 weeks to produce each box. However, the first box took approximately 4 months and 20 different prototypes to correct every detail.

Finally, aging on the brass nameplate is done in a high temperature metal tempering furnace (temperature, time and exact process are trade secrets). The final wood finish is a multi-step process that is also patented, but is different from the one we use on old guitars, due to the precision required to age the appropriate areas that are required for their use.

The book cover even replicates the fabric used in the old famous Fender amps.....

Just beautiful!

Pics below.

IMG-6866.jpg

IMG-6865.jpg

IMG-6868.jpg

• Like 4

On 16/11/2020 at 9:11 PM, darthlaker said:

more upgrades coming as well....! Stay tuned!

About time you upgraded those speakers!!!

?

• Haha 1

On 18/11/2020 at 11:55 AM, darthlaker said:

They are unique, hand-built and aged by Fender, using the same technique and materials as Keith Richards' Vintage Telecaster "Micawber".

I hope they don't relic the vinyl ?

• Like 1

Some more serious listening over the last few days....and a quick session with @Cello Sweet.today to have a listen to the upgraded phono (Audio Research 3SE).

It has had some more time to "burn in".

Heard more transparency and a MUCH blacker background. Sound just came from thin air - which it does anyway but I hope you know what I mean! :)

Very happy camper at the moment!!! More upgrades to come.....stand by! :)

Yes,  lifting of another veil with the SE version of AR Ref 3.

I was able to hear very low level background drum sounds on one of my favourite Elvis records  which I've never picked up before and this is a record which i am very familiar with.  Easier to judge system set up accuracy too. Cartridge loading for the Lyra was definitive and reproducible . All aspects of the turntable set up were obvious and easily set with this new version in Mark's system.

Where to from here Mark???

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cello Sweet. said:

Yes,  lifting of another veil with the SE version of AR Ref 3.

I was able to hear very low level background drum sounds on one of my favourite Elvis records  which I've never picked up before and this is a record which i am very familiar with.  Easier to judge system set up accuracy too. Cartridge loading for the Lyra was definitive and reproducible . All aspects of the turntable set up were obvious and easily set with this new version in Mark's system.

Where to from here Mark???

Thanks for the write up @Cello Sweet.!

Where to indeed Professor.....where to indeed.....!

Couple of upgrades still to come!  ;)

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, gemini07 said:

“Seems like women can still tell the difference between a PS5 console and an air purifier.”

I don't know which is the more remarkable - the achievement or the statement....

LOL

They are getting smarter.....

:D

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, blakey72 said:

@darthlaker Is there a reason you went with all Audioquest cables? Are you happy with them? I'm thinking about doing the same myself. Have a few cheaper ones (Type 4 speaker cables, Big Sur RCA).

Cheers

Blake.

Hi Blake,

AQ are the best I have heard....or not heard...as they allow you to hear MORE!

ESPECIALLY their new power cables and speaker cables.

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's not often people take the time to build high end systems and then enjoy changing small things which in turn allows for a much better understanding of what is going on.

So I was just looking at your thread and thinking how modestly priced the Ayre mono's  are in comparison.

I see you have the AR pre, do you think you would get  much more moving up the amp chain, perhaps in the AR direction.

I think that once you get to a certain price point any real increase becomes so negligible.

But clearly the pre upgrade has giving good rewards that the amp and speakers allowed to show up.

Or do you just think the Ayres are that good and able to compete with more expensive amps.

• Like 1