High End Audio System - System update!

Very nice clean setup Darthlaker. You got very capable marantz processor. Do you run any center channel at all ? Turntable is absolutely right. I bough 2 turntables for last couple months. These are best upgrade for my system

I am lucky enough to have heard Darthlaker's excellent room. Had trouble convincing myself to leave behind that great imaging and surround - like imaging. If I could only afford those amps !

Hi audioguy, thanks for your kind words.

No center channel at all.

In my opinion (pause for controversial drum roll) center channels are vastly over-rated and more often than not just cause your soundstage to collapse.

They have their uses in large rooms (particularly people with projectors) and/or if people watch movies off center axis.

Try telling your processor you have no center channel. You will still hear dialog dead center if everything is set up well.......!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

i've done a setup of some pipedreams and their equilizers are also very good,if i remember right they, like the van 5's use a q filter amongst other things,although ive got some wilson watts i would love to have that q in my system,

we(where i used to work) were making some filters for some hi end customers at 1 stage ,we analised the room got the lo freq bad spot and made a filter to suit ,worked out good ,mainly they were genesis 1 or 2's and a couple of the smaller models

you would think they'd have that in their system !! but then again they are really only a new irs beta setup,

too much energy in the room with 12 by2 subs

Paul, LOL.....the diffusers look like some dipoles!!

colinm1, yes, the Vandys have a Q filter and a few other controls for bass. It's a very neat little idea and very well thought out and designed. The subs play fast and go very deep as well....it's great to have a full range speaker system! :))

Guest Bodhisattva

Hi Darth, you're obviously a passionate audiophile. Congratulations on a well thought out rig. I like Ayre gear which is very organic & smooth sounding, and always good value. I'm familiar with your racks which look & work great. Also your Furutech room diffusers are basically Acoustic Revive RWL-3's. Bottom line; they work & are a good choice for stand alone room tuning devices. The Ultrasonic amp stands look well made as well. I thought i'd seen those things on AG; seems they made the glowing VAC stands & rack. I think your choice of Vandersteen 5a's are a good choice in their dual role as home theatre & 2 channel speakers. It's a shame you live in Adelaide :) If I get down there on holiday i'll make a point to pm you!

Cheers,

David.

Thanks Melbguy1 for your kind post.

Yes, I am very passionate about music and love to listen and be taken away.....

Yes, Ayre products are very organic and smooth, and very neutral. Amazing company actually.....

Drop me a PM if you ever get down south!

Cheers

• 1 month later...

darthlaker was kind enough to invite me for a listening session today as he's only 5 minutes from my office.

He's a really nice guy who obviously knows his stuff and has a refreshingly eclectic music collection.

The system is very impressive indeed. Probably the best I've heard. Those Vandersteen's certainly command authority, both in appearance and sound. A thoroughly enjoyable and enlightening experience!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats Darthlaker,

Great gear you have there, and very neat indeed, amplifier stand and the spider rack looks very solid.

Infact I am currently looking for amp stand and send a request for quotation to trinicom, no response from them so far.