Beyonwiz Australian Importer In Receivership?

Hi All,

I have heard from two seperate sources over the last two weeks that the Australian importer for Beyonwiz has now gone in to receivership.

One source was a dealer who rang to try and source a product and the phone did not connect. Apparently the web link he has states above.

Also GG store near me the local sales bloke mentioned the same.

So what it the go with Beyonwiz? Is it also the parent company or only the local importer? Who will honour any BW gear being sold? I had my heart set on a DP-P2 2TB - should I look for something else now?

Interested in people's views.

Ben

Edited by Bennyt

This has been discussed a bit on the Beyonwiz website but seems those posts have been deleted/lost in the trasition when their forum was down for a few days/week? There was discussion on this DTV thread about the financial stability of the importer too

ASIC

EDIT: My only concern is that we will not see the new generation model that they are working on make it here. I hope it does, as I am very happy with my two Beyonwiz PVRs. If they can use one of the newer Sigma Designs chipsets to support 1080p, IPTV and have the XMBC GUI which reportedly Sigma Designs are porting onto their systems, that will be a win/win in my books.

Edited by diesel

Digital Products Group (Australian importer for Beyonwiz) is under external control. This seems to be more a restructuring of the company than a complete shut down, however its hard to know exactly what is happening.

IMO as its primarily an import company (and the brand is well respected for its PVRs), I'd be surprised if Beyonwiz didn't continue with new products. As for existing products, well the restructure might mean DPG aren't around to service warranty claims from prior sales, although again many companies in this situation do continue to honour claims despite not legally having too (otherwise the retailers get stuck with the responsibility).

In the end its the place you buy the PVR that has to ensure its fit for its purpose (statutory warranty) so if for example the PVR broke down after 6 months or a few years you could require them to either repair, replace or refund (their discretion which). Its a bit more hassle than using the (1 year?) Beyonwiz warranty if the store doesn't understand its obligations, however the Office of Fair Trading can usually set them straight.

Aparently BeyonWiz might effectively become DealSpace.

On the PVR itself, not sure if a 2Tb unit is all that good value for money although a reconditioned unit from above is only $400.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Is it...the parent company or only the local importer?

Who will honour any BW gear being sold?

I had my heart set on a DP-P2 2TB - should I look for something else now?

Interested in people's views.

I think it is the Australian importer. In terms of Warrenty, I wouldn't be too worried, because they are very reliable machines, and the retailer should help you out. If you've got your heart set on a DP-P@ 2TB then I'd say buy it, just don't expect it to still do everything you want from a PVR in 5 years' time. At $400, I'd be bying one, but I already have two PVRs in the house, and can't bring my frugal nature to part with more hard earned cash.

Edited by CarlR

I think it is the Australian importer. In terms of Warrenty, I wouldn't be too worried, because they are very reliable machines, and the retailer should help you out. If you've got your heart set on a DP-P@ 2TB then I'd say buy it, just don't expect it to still do everything you want from a PVR in 5 years' time. At $400, I'd be bying one, but I already have two PVRs in the house, and can't bring my frugal nature to part with more hard earned cash.

Glad to see that you guys all think it should be fine to go ahead and get one. I too think that it is only the importer and not the parent company in Korea so we should expect some more models to come.

I am waiting for a good deal to come up and am in no rush as still finishing off the rest of my rennos before the TV and stuff goes in.

Cheers

Ben

... I too think that it is only the importer and not the parent company in Korea so we should expect some more models to come.

Why would ASIC be reporting about a Korean company being in administration?

After my recent experience with repair on warranty, which took nearly 6 weeks, and resulted in a replacement yesterday which didn't work, and I had to return the replacement for another replacement which now works, my advice is for anyone who buys a Beyonwiz-lite to get the guy to plug the machine in at the shop to make sure it works (blue light stays on rather than keeps blinking) before you take it home. It only takes a couple of minutes and is well worth it.

It may well be that since going into receivership (or whatever is going on) the distributor has not been interested/able to support their products as well as one would like. Possibly they have let most of the staff go, or maybe just trying to drag things out to see what plays out and let the new owner/administrator deal with the issues.

There was certainly a run of refurbed units being sold off on a myriad of 'discount' sites and what I thought to be a higher than normal level of new owners complaining their units weren't working well on various forums. I understand that forums tend to be where owners in trouble may go looking for help so there is a higher proportion of "my device is not working" reports, but there just seemed to be a spike of these at the same time as the 'fire sale' was going on. Coincidence or something else....?

I wish DPG well. They used to be located in the next factory unit to ours in the Topfield and BW days and they were always working on Product improvment, the service staff were always busy but got back to you.

its not Korean, DPG the Australian importer of Beyonwiz is an australian company

I was replying to Bennyt's comment about the manufacturer, which is indeed a South Korean company.

Oh Yeah! I forgot. When my first replacement didn't work, I tried to call the number for Beyonwiz technical support yesterday and I was told there was nobody there - they ere off for product training. So they took my number and said they would call me back today. Nobody has called so far, and I really do not anticipate anyone will - but I promise to let you guys know if tech support does call me back.

Edited by Valve Bounce

I have been keen on Beyonwiz after some research so will hold off until their situation is clearer and I can find out if the machine will do what I want. I sent them an e-mail and it bounced back. Not a good sign.

I was going to post a new topic but as a new DTV member I can't "yet" until I reply enough times. But as I don't know much I can only ask questions. Maybe someone can repost this as a new topic for me.

I wanted to ask them if they have a product that does;

From what I can work out, I want a PVR machine that can;

Allow me to watch free to air digital on my analogue TV.

record terrestrial hi-def digital with multi tuners (and in the mean time record satellite) and preferably skip adds.

be backed up over the network to networked hard disk drive (using built in wireless n and wired) or local HD (say via USB).

have a networked player in another room (say Panasonic DMP-BD75) play content stored on the PVR or content that this PVR has copied to the networked HDD. My network is currently DLNA all round.

have rf modulation capabilities or have outputs (composite or component) for an external rf modulator (for plugging back into my coaxial system allowing content from the PVR to be viewed via coax in other rooms. My TV system is set up to do this)

have sound sent to amplifier, tv and rf modulator at the same time. Multiple audio out.

access my music (using say twonky media software that comes packaged with my QNAP NAS) on the network and play it on the amplifier.

Provide some internet content (not a major requirement)

record in formats that are readily compatible with most players or PCs.

copy home movies playing on a DVD or VCR (yes I still have a VCR).

copy from PVR internal HDD to R/W DVD. (not a major requirement and probably via PC)

play content downloaded off you-tube to my network HDD or PC. (generally FLV files that can be converted to MP3, WMV, AVI or MP4)

thanks in advance knowledgable people

Allow me to watch free to air digital on my analogue TV.

- Yes. All PVRs are essentially STBs with harddrives.

record terrestrial hi-def digital with multi tuners (and in the mean time record satellite) and preferably skip adds.

- 4 user define ad skipping buttons that work very well

- Unit won't record satelite (assume you have another box for that?) if so then yes you can record 2 FTA channels, watch a previous FTA recording and record the satellite channels all at once.

be backed up over the network to networked hard disk drive (using built in wireless n and wired) or local HD (say via USB).

All yes (best to use wired or external drive rather than wireless for transfering shows).

have a networked player in another room (say Panasonic DMP-BD75) play content stored on the PVR or content that this PVR has copied to the networked HDD.

- Most other devices will not play BW recordings directly (they need to be converted, which is easy enough but a bit time consuming)

- No device will play content

- Note you could get an additional BW H1 pretty cheaply (this is essentially a STB that can stream content from another BW)

Have rf modulation capabilities or have outputs (composite or component) for an external rf modulator (for plugging back into my coaxial system allowing content from the PVR to be viewed via coax in other rooms. My TV system is set up to do this)

- Not sure

have sound sent to amplifier, tv and rf modulator at the same time. Multiple audio out.

- Not sure

access my music (using say twonky media software that comes packaged with my QNAP NAS) on the network and play it on the amplifier.

Can link to directories on NAS (no need for twonky) but using a PVR as a MP3 player is usually cumbersome - better to get a IPOD or some such.

Provide some internet content (not a major requirement)

-Not really

record in formats that are readily compatible with most players or PCs.

-As above, need to apply some simple conversion

copy home movies playing on a DVD or VCR (yes I still have a VCR).

-If you get a BW with analogue inputs then yes. Note better to transfer DVDs direct to a PC using PC software and also note most people find VCR transfer quality is too low and cumbersome to be much point.

copy from PVR internal HDD to R/W DVD. (not a major requirement and probably via PC)

No. Transfer file to PC then burn to DVD using software.

play content downloaded off you-tube to my network HDD or PC. (generally FLV files that can be converted to MP3, WMV, AVI or MP4)

No

Regards

Peter Gillespie

No

While a Wiz can't play an FLV file it can play most MP3, WMV, AVI, MP4.

If you use a converter such as Freemake Video Converter or Video Downloader to convert Youtube to MP3 or AVI then the Wiz seems to play them fine whether locally or via a network.

pgdownload,

thanks for the info.

It could record satellite via RCA inputs surely on a manual basis?

Does RCA input from DVD player or satellite box flow through to HDMI output and/or TV or audio receiver.

My VCR's are all home movies that I want to copy before mould takes over.

Yes to all your questions, but ONLY the DP-P2 has RCA inputs. It also records the files in a H.264 format as opposed to the typical .tvwiz format of all regular FTA recordings.

Again, only the DP-P2 has RCA inputs in the Wiz range.

Yes to all your questions, but ONLY the DP-P2 has RCA inputs. It also records the files in a H.264 format as opposed to the typical .tvwiz format of all regular FTA recordings.

Again, only the DP-P2 has RCA inputs in the Wiz range.

Could also buy a LiDiC for other Wizzes

I wish DPG well. They used to be located in the next factory unit to ours in the Topfield and BW days and they were always working on Product improvment, the service staff were always busy but got back to you.

Yeah,had a bit to do with them in the early days of the 5000,older Forum members will remember Jai was always extremely helpful with advice and sad to see them survive the 7000 debacle only to go down the gurgler with BW a few years later.

http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Home_Cinema/Industry/M4U8N9K9

• 2 weeks later...

I am still keen on the DP-P2 in the 2TB although I was in Canberra last week and the JB guys had a 1TB model on sale for $449 I think it was, so I questioned should I just buy it and leave the majority of my storage in the NAS at 4Tb or stick with the 2TB BW? Result? I still have not bought it yet as don't need straight away and can wait to see what is happening with the importer.

I noticed that ICETV have the 2TB new at $569 now where it was $649 about 2 wks back. Keep going down my friends!

Just a quick comment on the H264 (?) format, why does every other BW record in TVWIZ files and this one records differently? Does the Wiz software convert to AVI or is it even necessary? Won't an app like VLC play an H264 encoded track?

I basically would send my stuff to NAS for long term keeping and playback via a twonky type setup over the network when required and pump it across to the TV from the NAS share. Hope my plan works and is all compatible!

Ben

I basically would send my stuff to NAS for long term keeping and playback via a twonky type setup over the network when required and pump it across to the TV from the NAS share. Hope my plan works and is all compatible!

Ben

Can I ask Ben what type of NAS you have and through what type of router set up it is networked. I am looking to do the exact same thing you seem to be describing and I am also yet to get a PVR and seriously thinking the Beyonwiz DP-P2. I have a QNAP TS239 Pro II+ with 4TB and a Netgear WNDR3700 Wireless router. PVR will be wireless connected via a Netgear ethernet adapter WNHD3004. Direct line of site 10 metres from router to adapter.

What has your research told you so far about having the DP-P2 in this arrangement.

Spade

Just a quick comment on the H264 (?) format, why does every other BW record in TVWIZ files and this one records differently? Does the Wiz software convert to AVI or is it even necessary? Won't an app like VLC play an H264 encoded track?

It actually records in exactly the same way as every other Beyonwiz. It records digital broadcasts as they are broadcast, in MPEG2 Transport Stream (the TVWIZ format is a folder containing a bunch of 32MB MPEG2 TS files and some header files), and it records from its analog input in MPEG4/H.264 (not AVI). Other Beyonwizes (except the DP-H1) record broadcast TV in the same way and analog inputs in MPEG4/H.264 if you add a LiDiC to them. The Beyonwiz can't recode broadcast MPEG2 into other formats.

ETA: This discussion is getting slightly off the topic title :)

Edited by prl