Samsung Ps58c7000

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Wait for the tv to develop the purple banding when a mostly white image is displayed, then go through statutory warranty

and get it replaced by the latest model.

2. pick up a cheap 2nd hand or new xbox 360 it has basically the same package.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest T_double_U

1. Wait for the tv to develop the purple banding when a mostly white image is displayed, then go through statutory warranty

and get it replaced by the latest model.

2. pick up a cheap 2nd hand or new xbox 360 it has basically the same package.

Thanks for the advice i just did a white screen test and yer it's got a 6'' thick purple band just above the middle,a second lighter 5'' thick band directly above it and a 1'' thick band across the top.

I purchased it in October 2010 through the Good Guys with 2 years extended warranty (Horizon),with regards to who i should claim through who am i most likely to receive a new updated model from? keeping in mind i bought before 01/01/2011 so my statutory rights are less in my favour.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the advice i just did a white screen test and yer it's got a 6'' thick purple band just above the middle,a second lighter 5'' thick band directly above it and a 1'' thick band across the top.

I purchased it in October 2010 through the Good Guys with 2 years extended warranty (Horizon),with regards to who i should claim through who am i most likely to receive a new updated model from? keeping in mind i bought before 01/01/2011 so my statutory rights are less in my favour.

Thanks in advance.

I've dealt with GG/Horizon on this exact same issue before, with the exact same TV, and although it took a while (mis-diagnosis by the technicians on the first couple of attempts), I did get a nice and new 60" E8000 as a replacement. It was all pretty straight forward, and I was not out of pocket. I purchased the original set in 2010 as well.

The technician will first try to adjust the voltage, and if the purple band hasn't been there for long, then this might actually solve the problem (although it might still come back slightly at a later stage). If they do adjust the voltage, be very thorough in trying to see if the problem has gone away completely (I found the Google Map app pretty good for spotting the problem), and do not be satisfied unless there isn't a single spot of purple visible (if purple shows up after voltage adjustment, it means the panel has been permanently damaged, and only a full panel replacement will solve the problem).

I suspect the smoothness of the process mostly relies upon how good the repairers are at diagnosing the problem and recommending a course of action (you can give them some hints via photos and forum posts of people with the same problem and how it was resolved). Hard to say if the repair or a replacement set option will be given to you, since the repairer I had did manage to source a replacement panel for the repair option, and if Horizon had chosen that course of action then I wouldn't have gotten the E8000.

Edited by HTPCFreak

Guest T_double_U

I've dealt with GG/Horizon on this exact same issue before, with the exact same TV, and although it took a while (mis-diagnosis by the technicians on the first couple of attempts), I did get a nice and new 60" E8000 as a replacement. It was all pretty straight forward, and I was not out of pocket. I purchased the original set in 2010 as well.

The technician will first try to adjust the voltage, and if the purple band hasn't been there for long, then this might actually solve the problem (although it might still come back slightly at a later stage). If they do adjust the voltage, be very thorough in trying to see if the problem has gone away completely (I found the Google Map app pretty good for spotting the problem), and do not be satisfied unless there isn't a single spot of purple visible (if purple shows up after voltage adjustment, it means the panel has been permanently damaged, and only a full panel replacement will solve the problem).

I suspect the smoothness of the process mostly relies upon how good the repairers are at diagnosing the problem and recommending a course of action (you can give them some hints via photos and forum posts of people with the same problem and how it was resolved). Hard to say if the repair or a replacement set option will be given to you, since the repairer I had did manage to source a replacement panel for the repair option, and if Horizon had chosen that course of action then I wouldn't have gotten the E8000.

Thanks for the reply mate,when you say ''since the repairer I had did manage to source a replacement panel for the repair option, and if Horizon had chosen that course of action then I wouldn't have gotten the E8000.'' am i reading that as they couldn't get a replacement panel at the time so they just gave you the E8000?

No, the repairer did manage to find a replacement panel (after a short search), and were ready to go ahead with the repair as long as Horizon agreed. But Horizon decided not to go ahead with the repair, and instead, offered the E8000 as a replacement. They could have easily just went with the repair though, so my point is that it is hard to tell whether you will get a new set or not, as the decision is totally up to Horizon.

I have noticed that during adverts with a white background we have purple banding happening across the screen.

Is this what owners are referring too? I'm not worried because we took out a +4yr extended warranty with Myer.

Yeah, that sounds like it. This is a recently posted pic by someone on WP forums showing up the problem quite clearly:

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii314/antilagGTR/IMG_20120901_161552.jpg

But you might want to touch base with Myer regarding your extended warranty though, since the company they buy it from (United) have gone into liquidation.

Yeah, that sounds like it. This is a recently posted pic by someone on WP forums showing up the problem quite clearly:

http://i267.photobuc...0901_161552.jpg

Thanks. That's what ours looks like but only when the screen is white. I'm not going to worry about it for now though unless it gets worse.

But you might want to touch base with Myer regarding your extended warranty though, since the company they buy it from (United) have gone into liquidation.

A Myer manager has stated that they will wear the cost and honour the warranty themselves if something should happen.

My neighbour proved this with a faulty Sony PVR, which was into the EW period, and she was given a brand new and better spec'd Panasonic replacement.

Edited by Geforce

Guest T_double_U

Well the extended warranty tech has been and gone..i told him politely i wasn't interested in a voltage adjustment and he seemed a little puzzled as to why and told me that always fixes the problem and he's never had to replace the panel for this problem,he also said Horizon will more then likely get him to come back to adjust the voltage.

Fun fun.

If the purple is as far along as in the pic below, then I doubt a voltage adjustment will actually completely remove all the purple, at which time, a panel replacement will be required to repair the problem (or if that's too expensive/too much trouble, a new replacement set):

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii314/antilagGTR/IMG_20120901_161552.jpg

You will probably have to let the technician adjust the voltage first, as that's what a technical bulletin from Samsung (I think) tells them to do first for this particular problem.

You have to try and look for the purple after the voltage adjustment very carefully, and do not accept the line that it will go away in time, because it won't. Might have to arm yourself by printing or pointing out posts made by others with this very common problem, and how most if not all eventually had to have the panel replaced. Here are some posts on WP about people's experiences with this problem:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1786127

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1675370

Guest T_double_U

That is actually my tv in that picture.

If they adjust the voltage and manage to remove all the purple would there be any permanent damage done to the panel that will compromise picture quality or longevity? and how likely is it the problem will return 3,6 or 12 months from now? i just don't like the idea of waiting for the problem to recur..

My guess is that, based on the size of the purple areas on your TV, no amount of voltage adjustment will remove all of the purple, which means you'll need a new panel or a new TV. After my TV was initially adjusted, I would say 95% of it went away, the rest was very hard to spot, but still noticeable if you knew where to look. If after setting the voltage to the correct value (apparently, the larger Samsungs C7000s had the voltage set at the rate which only the smaller ones were supposed to be set at, or at least that's what I was told), and some purple remains, this indicates permanent panel damage has occurred and the purple will never go away. Can't say for sure if it will become worse over time though, but I wouldn't bet against it.

Edited by HTPCFreak

I bought mine in November 2010 without extended warranty, and contacted Samsung a couple of months ago,

about getting a repair under Statutory Warranty because the purple haze.

I hadn't read the forums on Whirlpool and they got me to pay for the assessment, about $125

but if you stand firm and polite and say I am not paying for you to assess a common problem with your tv they will talk to supervisor and pay for the assessment.

The assessor said it needed a new panel, samsung offered to replace parts and labour, I had evidence from Whirlpool forum of this issue coming back in replacement panels months later, so I told them I wanted my money back or a replacement.

They sent me a PS60E8000 as a replacement.

Extended warranty is a con, especially after the legislation changed on 01/01/2011

Edited by kopthat

Extended warranty is a con, especially after the legislation changed on 01/01/2011
I think you might have that backwards. The old statutory warranty laws let the consumer decide if a repair, replace or refund was appropriate. The new laws leave that up to the seller. So if you had bought your TV in 2011 Samsung could have told you you're getting a repair and that's the end of the discussion.

FWIW Statutory warranties are usually most effective when a unit breaks down completely (eg unfixable purple haze across screen). If your TV blows a $200 capacitor and has another $200 repair fee, then in most cases companies won't fix your TV out of warranty (at least not without an extended battle).

Regards

Peter Gillespie

If you read the ACCC website

http://www.accc.gov....l/itemId/815360

• on or after 1 January 2011 are covered by the new consumer guarantees regime.
  • before 1 January 2011 are covered by the old implied warranties and conditions regime.

the rights of the consumer were more clearly defined, and for a major fault like this the customer gets to

choose the refund, replacement of repair. I have been through this with Samsung and they tried it on because I purchased in November just before the new legislation, but under the old you still have rights.

There is also a page somewhere for Goods and services after 1st Jan 2011 which I couldn't find

Edited by kopthat

• 2 weeks later...
Guest T_double_U

Update: I gave Horizon a call just now and was told i have a $2100 voucher waiting for me and when i asked what happens with the old tv i was told to speak to the repairer about that,so i rang them and was told i could keep the old one :)

A massive thanks to you kopthat for making me aware of the issue :)

Edited by T_double_U

Guest T_double_U

Strictly hypothetically speaking since Horizon let me keep the old tv what is legally stopping me from claiming my statutory warranty as well? just seems like a loop hole those with low morality could exploit.

Edited by T_double_U

• 1 month later...

Samsung PS58C7000 – bought june 2010. I too have been very happy with this TV but noticed earlier this year a strange purple band when any explosions happened in movies and the screen went white in the flash.

I looked it up online in Google and imagine my surprise to see this thread and and others on the AVS forums and the DTV forums.

In June I contacted Harvey Norman and after a bit of a discussion they agreed to look at the problem, the TV was picked up and gone a week and when it came back the problem was gone. When the TV was returned I was phoned by HN to arrange for me to be home when it returned, I asked what they did and was told they reset the settings...when the TV arrived the worksheet simply had the word "voltage" on it so assume they did the voltage trick.

Now 2 months later on doing the white image on a USB stick I can see pinkish bands (3 in total) and some pinkish discoloration so I think this is the issue coming back and this time I call Samsung to organise a tech to look at it.

A young Samsung guy arrives last Friday morning...I am out in the country so I have no idea where he came from or how far he has travelled, he plugs in a USB stick whith a white background and squints at the screen like he can't see it. (To be fair it is faint but after your eyes adjust to the white the bands are there...even my wife sees them...they were not there when the tv came back from repair) He says there is nothing wrong with the set and it goes downhill from there, at first I can not get him to admit the bands are there, then after a bit of heated discussion yes there are bands but the set is operating within proper tolerances. More heated discussion and the bands are "image retention" and he sets the TV through the menu to a gradient vertical white to black that sweeps across the screen and he tells me to leave that on for a few hours and after that it should be gone, which of course it wasn't.

He was rude and confrontational from the moment he turned the television on and it really caught me off guard, I have a RRP$3999.00 Television which I payed 3200.00 for and I would like the problem fixed. I should have phoned up Samsung head office and complained about him...but I didn't, I should have though.

Yesterday I was phoned by a Samsung rep to see how my repair went and the poor guy got an earful, he has rebooked a service call with a different tech (though I am assuming it will be from the same service center) and am waiting to hear when that will happen.

Couple of pics...

http://i.imgur.com/x3mZa.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/uhhID.jpg

An update on what has happened with mine...received a phone call yesterday (Wednesday) that another technician would be out today (Thursday) between 10 and 2pm.

He rocked up just after 12:30 and was a friendly older gentleman who had brought a new panel for my TV. He never brought up the other techs visit and didn't even look at the telly he was there to replace the panel.

I helped take it upstairs to our cinema room and watched as he removed the panel (The whole screen) out of mine and tool a few boards and parts off my old one and put them on the new panel.

So I would say that around 80% of the insides of my TV are new. I noticed before he put the back on he plugged it in and adjusted the voltage using a multimeter then he finished reattaching the back plate.

The TV seems to be alot brighter now and a quick test of a 3D movie seemed to be alot clearer (was a bit of crosstalk, ghosting on my other panel) and no pink bands on a white image so I am very happy, though will keep an eye on it as I have seen that it can come back even with a new panel...fingers cross it doesn't.

• 1 month later...

hi all,

I had my panel replaced earlier this year for the purple banding issue, the 2 technicians did the replacement on my lounge room floor and all was good (screen was approx 12mths old at the time).when i mentioned the voltage tweak fix the tech here in brisbane said they never used that method.

Now (approx 12mths later) it appears i have another issue, in mid tones and greys the colours look very pixellated, I'm not sure if its just me being too picky, and of course i am far from an expert here. Also i put on a blu-ray of fantastic 4 and the top bottom black bars are not solid black but more like rgb flashing pixels, looks pretty black from a distance but move closer and its not solid at all.

I have extended warranty from Myer but first i am curious if anyone has heard of these "issues" before.

i have re-entered the recommended settings from tweak tv and the firmware is 3011

Another thing there is also one stuck pixel, i think you need a few more to claim warranty for that though? couldn't find any solid info online regarding that.

Any comments would be appreciated.

• 1 month later...

I bought mine in November 2010 without extended warranty, and contacted Samsung a couple of months ago,

about getting a repair under Statutory Warranty because the purple haze.

I hadn't read the forums on Whirlpool and they got me to pay for the assessment, about $125

but if you stand firm and polite and say I am not paying for you to assess a common problem with your tv they will talk to supervisor and pay for the assessment.

The assessor said it needed a new panel, samsung offered to replace parts and labour, I had evidence from Whirlpool forum of this issue coming back in replacement panels months later, so I told them I wanted my money back or a replacement.

They sent me a PS60E8000 as a replacement.

Hi Buddy,

I just joined this forum as I have the same annoying issue with the same TV. I've just sent you a private message as I am in the exact same situation as you and was hoping you could assist me with some advice.

If you can respond, that will be great.

Hi Buddy,

I just joined this forum as I have the same annoying issue with the same TV. I've just sent you a private message as I am in the exact same situation as you and was hoping you could assist me with some advice.

If you can respond, that will be great.

Actually, I just released that I cant yet send private messages :(

Hence I'll do that as soon as its enabled.