Sign in to follow this  
miro

Recommendation: Best Tv (50inch - 60inch)

Gentlemen

I am after your collective wisdom. I am moving my relatively new 50 inch Panasonic plasma downstairs and am after your recommendations for the best screen I can buy for the main room. Things you need to know:

1. Already have a 50 inch so it should be bigger than that, but 60 inch is probably too big.

2. The room is quite bright, in fact probably very bright, and I hate not being able to see the picture due to massive reflections!

3. I have no desire to have 3D, but if the 3D screen is the best around for 2D then don't let that worry you

4. Dont let price limit you, after the best screen not the best screen at a price

5. I have no preference in the LCD,LED,Plasma debate

Any and all personaly opinions are welcomed!

Thanks

Miro

Sony 55HX925 without doubt the best ever LCD to date.

Sony 55HX925 without doubt the best ever LCD to date.

+1 here

Was looking into 55" TVs

Basically it comes down to the Samsung 55" D7000/8000 or the Sony HX925

Assuming you want LCD

Unfortunately, for me, the 55" Sony is just a tad too big for the space allocated, because its by far the best LCD on the market at the moment

mmm, this comment from the Sony review had me a little worried as well:

"its biggest strengths certainly being its local-dimming-assisted contrast performance and its impressive viewing angle quality; with colours retaining a good amount of richness even when the TV is viewed from the sides. However, even these impressive attributes still aren’t on the level of considerably less expensive Plasma TVs."

Keep the suggestions coming!!

Any views on the new Panasonic TH-P55GT30A or the VT -and what is the difference between them anyway??

I've seen the new Pana plasmas and I'm not a fan. They may not perform very well under bright lights.

I've seen the new Pana plasmas and I'm not a fan. They may not perform very well under bright lights.

Agree, the GT30 is impressive at night but struggles for daytime viewing in my setup.

No TV is 100% perfect -you probably never will see 100% perfection, however this set is the best out there at the moment.

As I said, I can't be sure of how often or how serve the halo's are, but IMO, they're defects on any TV's let alone one of the most expensive TV's.

Screen uniformity is a constant problem, it's not like poor motion handling which may only affect some programming, screen uniformity will affect nearly all programming......but at least it's a "smart" TV, LOL.

Agree, the GT30 is impressive at night but struggles for daytime viewing in my setup.

Is this a light controlled room?

Gentlemen

I am after your collective wisdom. I am moving my relatively new 50 inch Panasonic plasma downstairs and am after your recommendations for the best screen I can buy for the main room. Things you need to know:

1. Already have a 50 inch so it should be bigger than that, but 60 inch is probably too big.

2. The room is quite bright, in fact probably very bright, and I hate not being able to see the picture due to massive reflections!

3. I have no desire to have 3D, but if the 3D screen is the best around for 2D then don't let that worry you

4. Dont let price limit you, after the best screen not the best screen at a price

Thanks

Miro

Can I enter this debate with an issue of my own but hopefully also assist with your enquiry.

I have a 55" LG 200htz LED (6500) which I wish to get rid of. Not that there is anything majorly wrong with this unit. Its just that it produces all the usual well publicised features of an LED/LCD, ie struggles with standard def pics, doesn't control the motion blur judder as much as I would like despite the 200 htz, and has less than optimal performance on dark scenes. Having said that, if you put a good quality high def picture (BR or Foxtel) it really comes into its own.

My main requirement is picture quality so I am looking for a top end 50" plasma that will iron out some of imperfections associated with FTA terrestrial, but is also able to deliver accross the other broadcast formats. I have experimented with a range of units in the larger sizes, ie 58 Samsung Full High Def Plasmas, LEDs and the like but wish to move down a cog in size to optimise picture quality.

I have heard that Panasonic plasmas are well regarded but have no previous experience with them. What about the new range of Samsung plasmas?.

Miro69,

You did not mention your viewing distance but if its much over 2.5 metres a 60" is not big enough.

For picture quality you dont have a choice it's Plasma all the way. I recommend the Panasonic 65" VT30 or Samsung 64" D8000, both have good screen filters and are anti reflective so will work well in a reasonably bright environmnet.

The Sammy has a slight edge in bright room performance but if there is sun shinning directly into the room it wont cope, only LCD has the required brightness for a sun lit room but picture quality will never be much good.

Better to control light then put up with LCD IMHO.

......but at least it's a "smart" TV, LOL.

I think that you are referring to Samsung with that statement, I dont believe that Sony have ever advertised their sets as being smart.

Edited by robertr

Miro69,

You did not mention your viewing distance but if its much over 2.5 metres a 60" is not big enough.

For picture quality you dont have a choice it's Plasma all the way. I recommend the Panasonic 65" VT30 or Samsung 64" D8000, both have good screen filters and are anti reflective so will work well in a reasonably bright environmnet.

The Sammy has a slight edge in bright room performance but if there is sun shinning directly into the room it wont cope, only LCD has the required brightness for a sun lit room but picture quality will never be much good.

Hi Owen,

I can understand your criticism of LCD not being up to it in the past & indeed you are correct, however the Sony 55" HX925 is a very good LCD & holds its own against a Plasma, I am not going to debate the Plasma v LCD rivalry as everyone has their own opinions.

Hi Owen,

I can understand your criticism of LCD not being up to it in the past & indeed you are correct, however the Sony 55" HX925 is a very good LCD & holds its own against a Plasma, I am not going to debate the Plasma v LCD rivalry as everyone has their own opinions.

U don't think halo's might put someone off?

U don't think halo's might put someone off?

Well it has not put me off, plus if you have the set correctly calibrated it is not an issue.

The only fault with this set is the crease problem which may put some people off ( mine is on the right side).

Getting back to my earlier post that there is yet to be a Plasma/LCD made that rates 100%.

They all have one issue or another.

Miro69,

Owen

Thanks for the opinion.

Firstly, gotta say I was on the D8000 bandwagon for the past few weeks, but have recently been reading about what appears to be significant quality control issues with the current Samsung range. That has turned me off the Samsung product -even though the physical design of the screen is magnificent (and almost enough to make me role the dice and the picture quality issues). What is your view of the current negative press about these quality issues?

Viewing distance is probably going to be 2.5 - 4.0m depending on what you are sitting on in the room. Not sure I will get a 60inch or more through parliament, and we also have a purpose built home cinema (projecter etc) downstairs if we want to go really big picture size.

Once again thanks for the input.

miro

Is this a light controlled room?

No, which is why it struggles.

Hi Owen,

Local dimming is no cure for LCD picture quality issues. Once upon a time I thought it might be but not now.

Wait on the new plasmas.

Gentlemen

Thanks

Miro

Owen

Thanks for the opinion.

Firstly, gotta say I was on the D8000 bandwagon for the past few weeks, but have recently been reading about what appears to be significant quality control issues with the current Samsung range. That has turned me off the Samsung product -even though the physical design of the screen is magnificent (and almost enough to make me role the dice and the picture quality issues). What is your view of the current negative press about these quality issues?

Viewing distance is probably going to be 2.5 - 4.0m depending on what you are sitting on in the room. Not sure I will get a 60inch or more through parliament, and we also have a purpose built home cinema (projecter etc) downstairs if we want to go really big picture size.

Once again thanks for the input.

miro

I pay no attention to negative press as long as the TV performs well. I would much rather have a TV that does what I want will a small chance of reliability issues than a TV that does not do what I want and lasts for ever, that's just me. I spent over $6k on TV that had known reliability issues and have never regretted it. It did fail 4 years on and is covered by extended warranty, they must fix or replace it.

You have a better than 90% chance of getting a problem free TV and if you want extra peace of mind get an extended warranty.

There is a high likelihood you will be disappointed in a smaller TV and want to replace it, especially if it has to be viewed from anywhere near 4 metres. 65" is small at that distance.

Wait on the new plasmas.

Are you talking about next years' models??

Or the year after that?

You could be waiting forever...if you are waiting for the perfect TV.