Wizott

Hi,

I already have a BeyyonWiz DP-S1 unit at home, and would like to play its recorded content on another TV.

Will the newly released WizOTT device play this for me? Is there an easy way to make the WizOTT wireless?

If not, which Beyonwiz product would be best for this application?

Thanks,

Rob.

I already have a BeyyonWiz DP-S1 unit at home, and would like to play its recorded content on another TV.

Will the newly released WizOTT device play this for me?

Not with the current standard firmware.

In theory, it would be possible to either get an updated firmware that supports streaming from a Beyonwiz PVR or an enterprising third party developer could provide an Android app for the WizOTT that enables this.

Is there an easy way to make the WizOTT wireless?

Very easy. Just plug in a USB WiFi dongle and configure. I tested an Edimax 150N WLAN USB - it worked.

Any of DP-H1, DP-P1, DP-P2, DP-S1, DP-Lite(i).

DP-H1 is the cheapest at $149. If you add a USB HDD you can also use it to record.

Ok - What is your recommendation to make any of the above BeyonWiz units wireless? Would the DP-H1 accept a USB based wireless dongle and still work on my network?

Ok - What is your recommendation to make any of the above BeyonWiz units wireless? Would the DP-H1 accept a USB based wireless dongle and still work on my network?

Generally, streaming broadcast SD and HD over wireless is not recommended (its technically a stretch of wireless capability). If possible lay an Ethernet wire between the two rooms. If you do that then any of the BW products will network with each other (the H1 being very cheap).

Regards

Peter Gillespie

As Peter (G) suggests, wired connection is best. If that is not possible, wireless n works for me with SD content between my BWs - may not work for all. Just make sure the the Wiz with the recording on it isn't doing much else at the time - best to leave it in file player mode.

I'm pretty sure you can't use a generic dongle with BW PVRs. I've had success using wireless ethernet bridges - multiport models can be had for <$100 nowadays.

The fact that WizOTT doesn't play seamlessly with other BW equipment is a real disappointment.

You need a wireless bridge - something that connects to you wireless LAN and has ethernet to plug into the ethernet port on the wiz. You can't use a USB dongle as the only thing a wiz expects to see plugged into its USB ports is a disk.

I use an Apple Airport Express - but any wireless N bridge should give pretty good results (depending on interference, the number of other wireless networks in the houses nearby and the load on your LAN).