Nas + Media Centre Together?

I'm tired of a mish-mash of technology (PVR, NAS, TVs with inadequate DLNA) and would love a single unit that will play everything.

I don't want to have to buy a media player to connect to every TV either. Just one media player to serve all TVs - all file formats... oh my kingdom for universal acceptance of FLAC and MKV!

Is this but a dream?

:)

I'm tired of a mish-mash of technology (PVR, NAS, TVs with inadequate DLNA) and would love a single unit that will play everything.

I don't want to have to buy a media player to connect to every TV either. Just one media player to serve all TVs - all file formats... oh my kingdom for universal acceptance of FLAC and MKV!

Is this but a dream?

:)

I have qnap nas using twonky and after the initial pia to set it up has been working perfectly with jailbroken apple tv2. All formats covered both audio and video

I have qnap nas using twonky and after the initial pia to set it up has been working perfectly with jailbroken apple tv2. All formats covered both audio and video

B)

Is that to a TV? My Sony TV won't even see the mkv files :(

Just curious, does the jailbroken apple tv2 also plays rmvb and rm files??

As sold, I believe that ATV only does 720P and does not support HD sound codecs. What are you able to achieve by jail breaking?

MythTV runs Linux, Linux can be setup to be a NAS. MythTV is a PVR and so far seems to do a pretty good/decent DLNA task.. It is a one box solution for recording and serving, and multiple boxes for playing...

That's what i do. It can actually be done in a single unit, but I prefer 2+.

• 4 weeks later...

i read that the next appletv will output 1080p, not 720p like the present one

i like my thecus nas, and beyonwiz and wdtv live, but the new appletv could be fun, plus it links the ipad and iphone to the tv for games, etc

Edited by larry

Jailbroken atv2 plays 1080p ripped blurays no worries.

Although it only plays them at 720p, this is a hardware limitation of the device. Still looks fantastic on the 58" 1080p plasma.

I'm running a Synology NAS, which has sabdnzb, sickbeard and couchpotato running directly on the NAS. I also have a mySQL database running on the NAS so that all my xbmc instances can share a common library.

I'm currently running xbmc on a jailbroken ATV2 and also on my macbook pro. Will but another ATV2s once a few teething problems with the xbmc implementation are sorted out.

Definitely the closest I've yet come to NAS/Media-streaming nirvana.

Although it only plays them at 720p, this is a hardware limitation of the device. Still looks fantastic on the 58" 1080p plasma.

I'm running a Synology NAS, which has sabdnzb, sickbeard and couchpotato running directly on the NAS. I also have a mySQL database running on the NAS so that all my xbmc instances can share a common library.

I'm currently running xbmc on a jailbroken ATV2 and also on my macbook pro. Will but another ATV2s once a few teething problems with the xbmc implementation are sorted out.

Definitely the closest I've yet come to NAS/Media-streaming nirvana.

+1 for jailbroken atv 2 running xbmc.

As mentioned, only outputs at 720p (but still decodes 1080p) but should still look pretty good on full hd panels (mine are 720p anyway so no issue for me). I have this linked back via wired connection to main pc which I still use as nas. In my case I was really looking for replacement for much used xbox1 that was still wife friendly. Since you can run xbmc via jailbroken atv2 the move was seamless once I had the jailbreak sorted.

There are still a couple of issues with using for audio etc (music playback) but I dont really use this function and will be corrected going forward with future builds of xbmc anyway. As mentioned above, airplay works with the latest ios version on the atv2 so you can transfer video output from ipod/iphone/ipad to tv if wanting to.