Sign in to follow this  
larry42

How Are Tv Sales In Australia Going ?

i dont think tv sales are doing so well overseas

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/TECH/gaming.ga...lump/index.html

i think that 3D hasnt really been pushing sales, and now many consumers have 720/1080 tvs

its going to take consumers getting more positive about the future before they keep upgrading...

how are tv sales in australia going over the past 6 months ?

the economy seems to be going pretty well here in WA, and lots of spending still going on with mining money moving around, with nearly everyone i know going on overseas trips, or renovating houses ,or buying new cars etc in the past 6 months, but how are the other states ?

Edited by larry

i dont think tv sales are doing so well overseas

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/TECH/gaming.ga...lump/index.html

i think that 3D hasnt really been pushing sales, and now many consumers have 720/1080 tvs

its going to take consumers getting more positive about the future before they keep upgrading...

how are tv sales in australia going over the past 6 months ?

the economy seems to be going pretty well here in WA, and lots of spending still going on with mining money moving around, with nearly everyone i know going on overseas trips, or renovating houses ,or buying new cars etc in the past 6 months, but how are the other states ?

[VIC] my wife works in retail in a massive shopping center[ in center management]. she says this year is better than last but its still quiet compared to a few years ago. so i guess its rebounding and may just get better.

but with the dollar so high at the moment. a lot of people i know are going overseas on holiday or buying a lot of their products from overseas, i know i have been spending more online recently because im buying because the exchange rate has been so damm good. its nice to buy something in American currency and when i look at my credit card i see the amount is actually less. it makes me feel on top for once.instead of feeling raped because of exchange rates

retailers in australia have been trying though. i bought some games recently and i couldn't even match the price online. so it does show some retailers are trying to win the battle and give Australians a fair go with prices

but still on big ticket items we still lose out. i think Australians are tired of being ripped off at local brick and mortar stores and are now very careful how and what they purchase. or they wait for the sales that are too good to miss

sorry im not talking exclusively about TV's but i guess this information goes hand in hand

Edited by Hardy

IMO most people have upgraded to flat panels now, and 3D just doesn't have the content to push folks to upgrade their newish set for a gimmicky glass wearing 3D experience. That's why this year, the major manufacturers are pushing 'smart' TVs with internet access, apps and networking capabilities.

Having said that, like Hardy, most of my friends are going overseas on holidays instead and buying stuff off the internet

IMO most people have upgraded to flat panels now, and 3D just doesn't have the content to push folks to upgrade their newish set for a gimmicky glass wearing 3D experience.

The new Samsung smart TVs... For some reason that's the only 3D TV that worked for me, I could never see any real 3D with any other TVs except that model... I was pretty impressed, so was my wife. Seeing it worked so well I don't really mind the weight of the glasses or the dimmed brightness.

The problem? Sales cannot be found! Now I am not really interested in buying a TV, however, if the sales is good enough, recognise the opportunity and know how to work it, I could well be buying one...

The problem now as it always is is the poor investment retailers made in training and keeping their sales staff.... That is the single most important asset a retailer should do as it's the direct face a customer sees.

Bad experience from poor customer service do add up. This is the first time since last Christmas since we stepped into a electronics store and browse (it was raining so we stopped and duck for cover).

That's why this year, the major manufacturers are pushing 'smart' TVs with internet access, apps and networking capabilities.

Didn't even know about those features, it's 3D I'm very impressed with... :lol:

More or less my home setup is 3D ready (I'm using a HTPC and I can split 3D video to TV and audio to my AVR).. So it will be very straight forward swap for me.. All I need is a nudge from a sales...

Overreliance on walk in customers, whinging about online sales, etc... At the end of the day, it's the retailers fault for looking at the bottom line (profit, turnover, etc) instead of looking at the long term and sustainability of their current business model. Ironically their one dimensional mind will be their downfall.

"Three-D as a technology wasn't necessarily a primary driver for why a customer would want to buy a TV."
:rolleyes:

The last decade has seen a stupendous amount of money poured into almost everyone going through CRT=>Panel upgrades and then possibly another one or more Panel => better Panel upgrades as the technology has matured. On a mass consumer level the picture quality of the sets have improved about as far as they're needed.

So the industry should naturally return to most homes looking at 5-10 upgrade patterns. The difficulty is that consumers can now plug in a $100 media player that does all the latest 'smart' stuff and can be upgraded (both in firmware) and just buying a new model next year. Replacing a $1500 TV to get similar (and actually less) capabilities that will in itself become obsolete in a few years doesn't make any sense.

IMO thank goodness, as environmentally the level of disposability we are engaging in is frightening. Hopefully next up will be the mobile phone industry where instead of everyone simply getting a new phone every 24 months they start hanging onto them for a while longer.

Peter Gillespie

i think that 3D hasnt really been pushing sales

not when people look at what 3D content is available, and at what prices the 3d movies are sold for, then to add the cost of the shutter glasses (for those that require them). I know it's relatively new tech, but I still don't see why they need to price gouge 3d bluray movies over non-3d bluray.

I can say I didn't buy my panel last year necessarily because it's a 3D tv...and if I was buying again today, I wouldn't be wanting to pay more for 3d, when the support is lacking. If you were to ask everyone who bought a panel towards the end of last year, whether they still would have done it if the bonuses weren't on offer, you would probably get a few people who would not have bought the promo 3D panels, or just bought 2D instead, or not bought at all.

It would be interesting to see if there was any major difference between areas which have just had analog turned off and those still with it.

I know a lot of people in this area have bought new TV's who would not normally do so. I had to set up a STB for a friend's second TV, and they had just bought a new main one. They had never heard of a Harmony remote.

I suspect there are a lot of happy salesmen in non analog areas.

JB

I wonder how the various sizes of screen are going. The initial attraction, even in the days of those appalling 42inch 480 displays, was "ooh look at dat biiigg screen". So a big sales driver until recently was the ever increasing screen sizes. Then the next push was the full HD screen resolution, along with Blu-Ray, then LED as a bit of a mini-upgrade. However if you think back to the old CRT days, most people were happy with a 22 inch screen with a little 14 inch in the bedroom or kitchen. Everyone was at total liberty to go out and buy a bigger screen only a "subset" went for the larger screens and RP sets, big Loewes etc.

I would guess that that same "subset" are still chasing size but now that the smaller screens are full HD It strikes me that 32 to 42 inchers seem to have settled down as being the new 22 - 26 inch. We have a 28 inch sonic on the wall of the tea room at work, and you know what it doesn't look too bad if just watching Neighbours etc. The final flush of people into the market are mainly analog refugees, I would guess they are mostly older folk who are quite happy with a 32 or less to replace the old Teac black box and their standard DVDs look just fine on it. And once they have bought it, then end of story for the next few years just like it was with the old TEAC.

Many of the smaller older houses these people live in just don't accommodate bigger screens anyway - come to think of it, the shrinking new city apartments as well. For example I offered to buy the Stepdaughter a 42 inch last year for Christmas but she went for a 32 as she lives in a skinny townhouse and she said a 42 would literally make her feel woozy that close up in the lounge room.

Edit: memory getting a bit fuzzy - IIRC 68cm eventually bacame the fairly default standard CRT which would be more like 26 inches?? I know in the 70s, 19 inches was entry level lounge room with 21-24 being what most people watched, so that's over 30 years of more or less the same screen size and resolution.

Edited by BribieG

Suspect a lot of punters are a bit confused.Too many options.Most people just want to watch TV........and DVDs...... PVRs even.

Quite a number of people interested in new sets actually walking out with STBs.Talkin' Geelong here.

Soniq,ViVo,etc seem to be what many are buying TV wise.Then you have the Panny/Sammy brigade.

A significant number of people simply do not want a 50" Plasma because they find them invasive.Of course we know different!

There is a bit of everything out there.Here in Hillbilly Heaven the diversity is amazing.Only real change being the non "AV in" TVs have been put in the sheds ready for where ever they are supposed to go.The kitchen TV has often taken their place in the living room c/w STB.

One friend often watches his VCR on an 80cm plus CRT;he also has a good collection of DVDs (with a nearby library) and his son downloads online......no FTA at all.Don't laugh....he is in the movie industry!

Strongly suspect the TV market is very,very slow right now and will remain that way until November/Xmas/New Year.

retail in NSW is down accross the board. I'm in sporting goods and were down about 10-15% but some others in this industry are down by as much as 40%.

Looking at the amount of discounts and sales harvey norman, good guys and bing lee seem to be having i'd say they are doing it tough too.

NSW may be worse than other states due the hugh hike in power prices in the last 12 mths including another rise on july 1.

Interesting that the smart features can be bought for so little the apple tv is based around the premise of almost giving a product away, but we'll charge 1-6 dollars a movie. It also has frequent software updates and can be controlled from an iphone. It's a very clever business model, profiting from the sales of each movie rather than directly profiting from the unit itself. It does more and more with each release. As for what will make people spend more money, I'd say a little certainty about the future of Australia. The world is a different place to five years ago.

Edited by andrewlace

its nice to buy something in American currency and when i look at my credit card i see the amount is actually less. it makes me feel on top for once.instead of feeling raped because of exchange rates

How true :-)

i just bought a tv :D

going to pay for it on the weekend

but yeah, i guess sales are a little slow, i don't plan on upgrading ours any time soon and still undecided on if i want one for the other room

Interesting that the smart features can be bought for so little the apple tv is based around the premise of almost giving a product away, but we'll charge 1-6 dollars a movie. It also has frequent software updates and can be controlled from an iphone. It's a very clever business model, profiting from the sales of each movie rather than directly profiting from the unit itself. It does more and more with each release. As for what will make people spend more money, I'd say a little certainty about the future of Australia. The world is a different place to five years ago.

It does even more if you install XBMC on it ;)

To hell with that, been using a HTPC for 11 years and have had 2 in daily use for the last 6. Cant stand media center type interfaces and much prefer to use a mouse, keyboard and conventional Windows interface, much faster and more efficient then any remote and media center interface can ever be.

The local council has just done a curb side pickup in our area. There was lots of old CRT out on the street. When I have put out an old CRT in the past, a scavenger would have picked it up within a day or so. This time an old widescreen CRT sat there for weeks until the council collected it. So, judging by the number of CRT out, there has been a substantial upgrade of the TV fleet in the last 12 months. (And it they are too low brow for even the scavengers.)

The problem for retailers is that people tend to keep their TV's a long time so if most people have now upgraded from their old CRT its going to be a long time before they buy another TV.

How many old LCD or Plasma TV do you see sitting on the side of the road?

Edited by Owen

My brother and I were discussing the downturn a few nights ago. He lives across the road from a HN and when he bought his 50" plasma about 18mths ago, it was hard to get a sales person's attention in HN. Now, you walk in on a Saturday afternoon and there's virtually no customers around and sales persons aplenty. I guess all the generous bundles got the customers in the door, but now there's nothing really to attract customers in the door.

Forget the ordinary 3DTV, the next TV panel innovation to attract consumers to upgrade will be the 3D 'smart' CinemaScope display, as there is really nothing left for panel manufacturers to innovate.

Such 2.37:1 panels are said to be introduced by the end of this year, though possibly not for another year here in Australia from the major manufacturers. These obviously are going to be expensive initially but as we have seen with 16:9 panels prices can fall dramatically over a few years.

Then of course the 2.37:1 video disc format will need inventing, it couldn't be that hard unless Sony and Toshiba start another format war.

Thus the industry re-invents itself once again and we'll happily buy it just as we have been conditioned to do.

C.M

Edited by Tweet

They wont sell one to me. I have no interest in a 1.37:1 (scope) screen, I prefer a larger 16:9 screen.

I agree Owen.

16:9 is good enough AR for me. The flat panel boom days of 2008/2009 are over. The sooner retailers realise that it was a time when flat panel prices met consumer demand at the right price (with some help from stimulus $), and now just about everyone who wants a flat panel has one. Maybe another 5-7 years there may be another boom as technology shifts, and ageing panels need replacing, but retailers must realise that we are now back to 'normal' TV sales volumes.

All,

Note there are no SD resolution screens in the major retailers anymore. Except for the very odd STB there is no SD receivers anymore

Most analog TVs are being replaced by digital TVs not upgraded with STBs.

DBCDE Digital Tracker Reports

From the very high percentage of receivers capable of HD reception, it would be feasible for the main program of each network to be in HD after analog is completely switched off leaving the present HD streams to transmit in SD which is what most of their program content is.

AlanH

Allan, can you run that past me again? I don't understand the point you are making in relation to the point of this thread

:unsure:

diesel,

From the tracker data most people converting from analog buy digital TVs rather than STBs.

Secondly the sales of TVs will increase, because the analog switchoff is moving in to higher and higher population areas. Regional Vic and SA are already off, at the end of this year regional but not remote Queensland. Next year is regional NSW and for 2013 the biggest stimulus to sales is the capital cities with WA regional, Tasmania and remote Australia.

Next July the census results will contain the number of dwellings. With that information for any sized region and the percentage not converted from the digital tracker you can estimate the minimum number of DTVs which will be sold.

AlanH