Mr Antenna - Not Recommended

I write after 2 weeks terrible frustration at the hands of Mr Antenna

Shame on me for naively thinking that a company like this would be able to get me TV reception in the Dandenongs and would do a professional job

They failed miserably and put me through a week of crap before I could get a refund

The first installer got on my roof an simply placed a 2m extension pole on the existing mount. The pole was smaller in diametre than the mount, so he wedged 2 x screws in there to stop the pole waving in the wind. He then affixed the amp to the masthead with gaffer tape. $600 later and my signal fails with the first flutter of wind

The supervisor then comes to fix his work and just changes the gaffer tape for a plastic cable tie. He doesnt bother to point the UHF antenna they sold anywhere else or even away from the densely leaved evergreen tree just 5m from the antenna mount

So, I called in SatPro. for $400, the replaced the antenna and mount with a VHF one, moved it to the correct location, rewired professionally and removed the old ****. Perfect reception and professionally done

I rang Mr Antenna 5 times and emailed twice to get them to come back, collect their crap and refund me my money.

I then took a day off work and waited 7.5 hrs for them to come and collect the stuff. No one showed and I received no phone call to say the tech wasnt coming after he was booked in

The supervisor came back to inspect the work and said that the signal strength was still weak. He also stated that his State Manager (name withheld) told him therefore not to take the equipment back. So he left and did not take the equipment back

I was fuming

Only after finding out the National Operations manager's name by sleuth did I get through to him via the switchboard. A simple refund had become a nightmare. Anyhow, they collected their stuff and refunded me my money after I dumped the story on him

Tech fails

Supervisor Fails

State Manager Fails with no concept of customer service and ignores my calls and emails

National Operations Manager gets me my money back

Lesson....use a professional

Mr Antenna suck

Mr Antenna is owned by BSA Ltd ...

If you have time you can read 20+ pages about this company and its management on another thread on DTV forum on this Link here.

Using Mr Antenna for antenna installation work is the wost choice ever

Edited by Sidor

Assuming Mr Antenna is a franchise business then there is no guarantee of the credentials or level of experience of the franchisee who rocks up at your place. Your problems were compounded by more than one level of poor decisions beginning with the installer.

Shame on me for naively thinking that a company like this would be able to get me TV reception in the Dandenongs and would do a professional job

They failed miserably and put me through a week of crap before I could get a refund

The first installer got on my roof an simply placed a 2m extension pole on the existing mount. The pole was smaller in diametre than the mount, so he wedged 2 x screws in there to stop the pole waving in the wind. He then affixed the amp to the masthead with gaffer tape. $600 later and my signal fails with the first flutter of wind

The supervisor then comes to fix his work and just changes the gaffer tape for a plastic cable tie. He doesnt bother to point the UHF antenna they sold anywhere else or even away from the densely leaved evergreen tree just 5m from the antenna mount

So, I called in SatPro. for $400, the replaced the antenna and mount with a VHF one, moved it to the correct location, rewired professionally and removed the old ****. Perfect reception and professionally done

I rang Mr Antenna 5 times and emailed twice to get them to come back, collect their crap and refund me my money.

I then took a day off work and waited 7.5 hrs for them to come and collect the stuff. No one showed and I received no phone call to say the tech wasnt coming after he was booked in

The supervisor came back to inspect the work and said that the signal strength was still weak. He also stated that his State Manager (name withheld) told him therefore not to take the equipment back. So he left and did not take the equipment back

I was fuming

Only after finding out the National Operations manager's name by sleuth did I get through to him via the switchboard. A simple refund had become a nightmare. Anyhow, they collected their stuff and refunded me my money after I dumped the story on him

Tech fails

Supervisor Fails

State Manager Fails with no concept of customer service and ignores my calls and emails

Mr Antenna suck

I rectified a Mr Antenna installation the other day. Antenna was incorrect for the location as it was very close to the towers. It was also pointing in the incorrect direction in a poor attempt to reduce DCP and at the incorrect height. 300mm of lowering height of antenna improved SNR by 10db. Slight antenna direction change and correct antennuation installed customer now has no problems. Installer also told customer that they were getting the best antenna on the market which they did not it was a Digitek. I can think off the top off my head of 4 more reputable brands to use.

I do not see how they cannot do an installation correct if they have the correct meter.Only if that can't read it and then they should not be doing the job. I suspect that they are using one that only reads DCP not BER/MER & SNR.

Digitek. I can think off the top off my head of 4 more reputable brands to use.

I use Digitek band 3 antennas all the time. Solid construction, both 6 and 10 element antennas from out of the bag to ready- to -go in under 2 minutes. Seem to be a direct 'copy' of the Matchmaster (DR3010) but half the price.

I was fuming

Tech fails

Supervisor Fails

Mr Antenna suck

Should have used an installer qualified in digital set up in the first place.....Have only been in the game a short while but have learnt that just replacing an existing antenna does not always work.

Using the right meter, walking the roof , finding the sweet spot, and using the best components is the only way to supply a quality job.

So beware there are a lot of Tom, Dicks and Harrys out there and some are linked to reputable companies

• 5 weeks later...

Huh? How many warranty claims do most customers make over 10 years? I've been in the industry and have never heard of Australian Fusion Antennas, ten year warranties are a marketing gimmick in my opinion. Why was Hyundai the first to offer a 5 year unlimited km warranty and then KIA and not Toyota? debruis mentioned Bitek, looking at Melbourne TV antennas site I'd say with a high degree of certainty that the antennas offered by that company are bitek.

Next time go with a company that actually backs there installation with a proper warranty and don't use franchise installers.

I would recommend Melbourne TV Antennas they have a 10 year warranty and use Australian Fusion Antennas ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Huh? How many warranty claims do most customers make over 10 years? I've been in the industry and have never heard of Australian Fusion Antennas, ten year warranties are a marketing gimmick in my opinion.

Usually the installer won't come back, or return phone calls, often out of business or in some of the cases we see they send out incompetents that just make matters worse and costs the customer more money!!! Every week I get a call from someone saying i've had so and so out and I need the problem fixed.

A properly installed antenna should last 20+ years so you're absolutely right a 10 year warranty is just a gimmick

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, i have noticed a few comments regarding the Melbourne Tv Antennas 10 year warranty. They do more than Antennas so the warranty is actually very good.

I have just seen that they have partnered with Big Brown Box so i can't see issues with repairs in the distant future. :)

And the Fusion Antenna is new i was told, that's why i got it cheaper because they just started using them.

Sorry to bring this up again but i hate it when i see competitors slandering a good company for no reason.

People need to know there facts before commenting like that.

Edited by David Kosonen

Hi all, i have noticed a few comments regarding the Melbourne Tv Antennas 10 year warranty. They do more than Antennas so the warranty is actually very good.

I have just seen that they have partnered with Big Brown Box so i can't see issues with repairs in the distant future. :)

And the Fusion Antenna is new i was told, that's why i got it cheaper because they just started using them.

Sorry to bring this up again but i hate it when i see competitors slandering a good company for no reason.

People need to know there facts before commenting like that.

your repeated remarks are very much like that of a troll ... sure you're real name isn't jason mccarren?? pardon me for being cynical but when a user gets on two different websites (dtv and homeone) and only posts a recommendation for a product and service and no other posts I get somewhat cynical.

Not saying their fusion antennas are no good or not but I've been in the business a long time and never heard or seen them. Who actually manufactures them and where? The bulk of the "Australian Made" antennas are actually manufactured in other parts of the world and assembled in Australia getting around the australian made reqs...

Beeblebrox i suggest you call Melbourne TV Antennas if you have any issues, i am sure they would love to hear your comments.

My name is David not Jason but i do know that is the owners name.

Forums i thought were for letting people know about your good experiences so others would have an easy way to make a decision based on previous customers opinions, i have posted on a few forums because of how they treated me when in the past i have had less than happy experiences.

This forum is not hear for you to make comments like you have when i am positive you don't actually have any facts behind your remarks.

People will look more favorable towards using you when you stick with helping people rather than resorting to that type of behavior.

Sorry David, but I'm sticking with beeblebrox on this one, I've never heard of Fusion antennas either, & if the Fusion antennas they use, are same ones they have on their web site, then sorry, they are DigiTek antennas. You can see the DigiTek label on a couple of them. If you look closely at the Melbourne antennas, Caravan Wide Band Cross Polarisation antenna, & the DigiTek CMX11CA antenna on the DigiTek site, you'll see they are the exact same antenna, including the DigiTek label on the boom. Pretty sure all DigiTek antennas are fully made in China too. Also, how come if you search for Fusion antennas, they are unable to be found, (doesn't seem to exist)?

Hi GlennP

I can't talk about something i have no idea about, but i can assure you that the antenna i had installed is most definitely Australian made, it has the Australian made green stamp on it. I was offered choices of Antennas when i booked and chose the one they had the special on because it was made here.

Again i suggest you call them instead of making comments based on no facts.

Just because they have a new Antenna that you don't know about does not mean that they don't exist.

And i also want to applaud there complete transparent way of working, they have a lot of there prices as well as pictures of a lot of the items they use plus they give what i see as the largest warranty i have ever seen. And you may think that a 10 year warranty is "gimmicky" but i would like to see MR Antenna come out and do a repair 9 years later LMAO. I would like to see more of this way of doing business but i know that it is very rare. After all this i went and had a look at various other websites and not 1 was anywhere near as informative, most just said what they could do and that's it. If you don't believe me i suggest you check out there website www.melbournetvantennas.com.au and compare it to any other site that has anything to do with audio visual.

Thank you Beeblebrox for your apology :)

Edited by David Kosonen

• 3 months later...

Hi David by implication your statement is anyone not offering a ten year warranty is not offering a proper warranty. Those who have worked in the industry for more than ten years know what a warranty is: a contract to service the customer's equipment at the installer's cost for any hardware or workmanship faults. Unless you have had problems with their materials or workmanship by definition you couldn't know what their warranty service is like. :lol:

Beeblebrox i suggest you call Melbourne TV Antennas if you have any issues, i am sure they would love to hear your comments.

My name is David not Jason but i do know that is the owners name.

Forums i thought were for letting people know about your good experiences so others would have an easy way to make a decision based on previous customers opinions, i have posted on a few forums because of how they treated me when in the past i have had less than happy experiences.

This forum is not hear for you to make comments like you have when i am positive you don't actually have any facts behind your remarks.

People will look more favorable towards using you when you stick with helping people rather than resorting to that type of behavior.

• 1 month later...

I am sorry to hear some people having bad experience with Mr Antenna.

I am in the Northern suburbs of Melbourne and I had an antenna installed by them recently.

The guy showed up on time, went straight to his work and an hour later job finished and perfect tv reception the end result.

He even discounted his quote by about thirty dollars because I gave him a bit of a hand and a couple of beers for his work.

Aussie made antenna too.

He also gave me his bussiness card to contact him directly if I had any problems in the future regarding the installation.

Top bloke and highly recommended.

Edited by softel

I am sorry to hear some people having bad experience with Mr Antenna.

I am in the Northern suburbs of Melbourne and I had an antenna installed by them recently.

The guy showed up on time, went straight to his work and an hour later job finished and perfect tv reception the end result.

He even discounted his quote by about thirty dollars because I gave him a bit of a hand and a couple of beers for his work.

Aussie made antenna too.

He also gave me his bussiness card to contact him directly if I had any problems in the future regarding the installation.

Top bloke and highly recommended.

Must have been one of the easiest installations on record.

I'd spend at least an hour just performing a site signal survey before any of the installation work.

It's pleasing to hear you are a satisfied customer though.

I'd spend at least an hour just performing a site signal survey before any of the installation work.

Parts of the Northern suburbs.. very often the signal is so strong it doesn't matter what you put up you can get a result. in no time at all.. :)

Off my barbed wire fence next to my shed I get 65-75dBuV on every channel and pretty reasonable BER too..

There's some good installers out there.. then there are the rest that have no business doing it... We did a fix job last Friday, new antenna not working properly, installed by joe blogs poor signal and BER on all vhf channels, uhf non existent... Can't get the installer back has disappeared. Another company goes out recommends a booster but can't make it work so shrugs his shoulders packs up and goes home. Anyway we get the call .... Well a change antenna for a log, and nothing else, fixes all the ber issues, with vhf good strength but uhf lowish ... then move the antenna 1.5mtrs (after site test) and uhf improves by 10dBuV.. gee it's amazing what happens when you do a site test... I never cease to be amazed by the crud out there.

I'll tell a lie.

He was there for at least 2 hours as we were chatting about this/that while he was working.