Playstation 4

I've been toying with the idea of grabbing a PS3 while I'm in the States. I don't have any games, but would obviously like to get some of the AAA titles to play. If you follow the evolution of the Playstation consoles, they started with CD style media (PS1), moved to DVD style media (PS2) and now Bluray type media (PS3). I have not upgraded from a DVD player to a Bluray player as I pretty much keep all my stuff on my NAS and have skipped the whole Bluray disc format.

Given this transition in media types, what holds for the future for PS4??? Only DLC or will it have a disc drive for loading optical media? Or maybe move towards flash media like SDXC cards etc???

Are there any projections on a possible replacement to the PS3??? i notice in Japan they have released a newer 'slimmer' PS3 slim. Does this mean we are 1+ years away from a replacement?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been toying with the idea of grabbing a PS3 while I'm in the States. I don't have any games, but would obviously like to get some of the AAA titles to play. If you follow the evolution of the Playstation consoles, they started with CD style media (PS1), moved to DVD style media (PS2) and now Bluray type media (PS3). I have not upgraded from a DVD player to a Bluray player as I pretty much keep all my stuff on my NAS and have skipped the whole Bluray disc format.

Given this transition in media types, what holds for the future for PS4??? Only DLC or will it have a disc drive for loading optical media? Or maybe move towards flash media like SDXC cards etc???

Are there any projections on a possible replacement to the PS3??? i notice in Japan they have released a newer 'slimmer' PS3 slim. Does this mean we are 1+ years away from a replacement?

PS4 coming soon? Don't think DLC will work properly, because game retailers will not allow this to happen... But then again, dunno...

The curent ps3 is crippled with 3D. There has to be a ps4 or updated ps3. Its just a matter of time :)

Why crippled? It can do 3D can't it? I would have thought just a new PS3 that can do both 3D and Hi-Def Codecs at the same time.

Why crippled? It can do 3D can't it? I would have thought just a new PS3 that can do both 3D and Hi-Def Codecs at the same time.

3D cripples it, Yep can't do 3D and hd audio at same time, 3D limits gaming to 720p. It's not hdmi v1.4 the platform is starting to show its age. As mentioned will have to either be an updated ps3 or a ps4. Will just be a matter of time. ...

Only one version of the original fat PS3 was BC. The 60Gb.

Thats the PS3 I've got - and you know what, regardless of how much EVERYONE ****es and moans about lack of BC, I used it for about 6 months (I got my PS3 on launch) which was the only useful period of it. There was a very small amount of PS3 games coming out, and the ones that were coming out where complete crap, there was a few good PS2 games still coming out so its was useful for that - I played GTA Vice City Stories in upscaled 1080i (coz my TV wasnt 1080p at that time!). I've only ever played this game on the PS3.

As for the future of media for the PS4 - look to the Vita. If the storage cards that Vita games come on end up being secure, hack/pirate free, big enough and cheap enough to produce, I think we'll see the PS4 using that. Think of how much small the device will being using media that size. Thats the future.

Thats the future.

Yep I think that's definitely the way forward. These optical drives are going to go the way of the tape...wear and tear, noise, speed and capacity (not a big deal yet but not long it won't be enough). Possibly a chance for interoperability between the Vita and the next PS unit.

We can't forget that Sony put up a fierce battle to see the Bu-Ray format win. I don't think they will be giving up the Blu-Ray format in the gaming platform any time soon!

We can't forget that Sony put up a fierce battle to see the Bu-Ray format win. I don't think they will be giving up the Blu-Ray format in the gaming platform any time soon!

Yes and as much as Sony believe that they are "all that" when it comes to designing and innovating they also need to be aware of what the public want. The era of the digital disc format needs to come to an end (or start its way out the door).

considering how much a fail the psp go was and now the vita is using cartridges

im thinking they will stick with blue ray for next gen console, with flash or ssd hard drives.

and much better encryption similar to whats happening to the xbox360 with the new disks that are actually somehow 1gb bigger so that you cant rip and burn.

i think seeing how anal sony have become that it will be pretty much a total locked down console,

sonys format is never game changing its just advanced and sticks to the same format. using disks and more powerful hardware than the competition

and much better encryption similar to whats happening to the xbox360 with the new disks that are actually somehow 1gb bigger so that you cant rip and burn.

Huh?

There's no new discs - they are the same as normal, however they've had the 1Gb that was partitioned for security removed to allow for bigger games

Huh?

There's no new discs - they are the same as normal, however they've had the 1Gb that was partitioned for security removed to allow for bigger games

opps it may be my mistake, i was reading about it yesterday, so source may have been wrong. something about the new disks coming in September.. ill try find the info i read and post it here. it may be that i misread it, if so i apologies. but it sounded pretty smart tbh.

almost like an overburn .. so that people at home could not fit the information on a disk being burnt at home you know... lol... he mentions dual layer DVD9 so that rules out using those to make it work

quote from a different forum

"One a side note about the comment of the 360 I heard that starting this fall they found a new way of stamping games discs so a DL will hold 12+ gigs of data which might bring the 360 community to a halt also"

and the reply

"where did you hear 12gigs i heard it will be 1gig bigger than original size of a dual layer, and the 360key will be out by then "

what i wrote in my original reply to this thread is what i interrupted this to mean, its also mention some other places but this is the only source i could find right now

Edited by Hardy

Sony has so much invested in blu-ray and cell technology plus the extension of the PS2 lifecycle I do not think that the PS3 will come to an end any time soon.

I would hate it though if there games only came in software format (read only downloadable).

my two cents

I've started to use those stupid comparison video review things to see which version of a particular game is better on which system. What a waste of bandwidth. There are so few (if any) these days that the exclusives are really the only differentiation.

I've started to use those stupid comparison video review things to see which version of a particular game is better on which system. What a waste of bandwidth. There are so few (if any) these days that the exclusives are really the only differentiation.

Oh come on man! Isn't it so worth knowing that one version has 0.0001 frame per second different in a static cutscene over the other, while another sports 3254351345XAA and the other only supports 234231423XAA??

This is ground breaking **** man

Oh come on man! Isn't it so worth knowing that one version has 0.0001 frame per second different in a static cutscene over the other, while another sports 3254351345XAA and the other only supports 234231423XAA??

This is ground breaking **** man

spot on DansDans my thoughts almost exactly.

the only difference is media storage, one is dvd and one is blueray. both have the same fricken files!

and in no way does one magically produce a better result because of the gamma luma adjustment from porting blah blah blah blah ect ect

Frankly I'm in no hurry for a console refresh from either M$ or Sony and am extremely happy with the quality of gaming experiences on both systems. Skyrim, Uncharted 3 and Bioshock Infinite look incredible!

Before the current generation consoles I was exclusively a PC gamer but haven't played a PC game in years now. I used to be fanatically devoted to upgrading my system components every 9-12 months and spending countless hours researching online reviews whether the latest benchmarks meant that I should go with an nVidia or ATI GPU in a particular year.

Then going through all the rigmarole of ensuring all drivers and software were compatible, possible circumventing anti piracy measures where necessary and then finding after all that the game still didn't play as it should or there were some weird graphical artefacts or some other reliabilty crap to either endure or endlessly troubleshoot over, even though I ticked all the boxes in the game's recommended specs. :rolleyes:

It's just so much easier to put a disc in one of these consoles, kick back on the sofa in front of a big ass flat panel and know it will work just fine at least 95 of the time. In fact I'm waiting for The Witcher 2 to be released on the 360 even though I could source a graphically superior PC version right now let's say 'on the cheap'. :P

Perhaps Diablo III may get me back in front of a keyboard and mouse but there probably isn't much else that would. Some rumours have a major announcement on a console refresh next year but my hunch is that we are still a couple of E3s away and that's just fine with me.

Yeah, I haven't jumped onto any current gen platform yet...just had other priorities, but looking for some free time coming up so certainly keen to explore the kits. Certainly there's enough AAA titles around to me that don't mean I have a preference for $ony or M$

I'd forgotten that $ony had the whole Bluray disc format war thingy, so yeah, I guess they would like to squeeze more out of that format for a while yet. As for the Cell processor, didn't they sell that to Toshiba??