Samsung Ps59d8000 Quick Review - Sub 100 Hours

Hey Andys nice to see you stuck with samsung! Are you just using the stock standard 3d settings?

I must say mine still has a bit of a buzz but i dont notice it and my old panasonic 42" is probly louder anyway.

As for brightness fluctuations I'm pretty sure it is a design "feature" which basically is implemented to reduce the risk of your plasma melting from running the phosphers so hot for lack of a better nerd explenation. On bluray if it bothers you enough, I simply switch on Cinema Smooth which eliminates the fluctuations but does slightly increase black levels. If your watching in a slightly lit environment then it shouldnt matter too much, but in a dark environment you will notice but which bothers you more is up to you, it's all about trade offs.

As for PQ I'm still more than happy. I was a little sceptical using the whirlpool guy's settings as his calibrator didn't seem to take full advantage of the Colour Management System, but it has proved to be a winner on my set as I still think it's as good as any other settings I've dialled in.

And just quickly we all know the THX recommended seating distance is 2.5 - 3 times the height of the picture. Well the height of my 59" watching Battle of Los Angeles in "scope" format is about 55cm I think. Multiply that by 3 and you get a viewing distance of around 1.65m. I tried sitting at this distance watching the movie and I must say I just didn't enjoy it and also felt abit sick after a while. As I've said, different people have different perceptions. Also the THX recommendation doesnt really translate too well to a home setting as seating to screen size ratio is so different that the many fantastic ideal viewing areas in a cinema are greatly reduced as you move one seat to the left or right in your home and your are moving greatly away from the sweet spot. Great if you watch movies alone, but not for me :)

Still more than happy!!

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Andys nice to see you stuck with samsung! Are you just using the stock standard 3d settings?

I actually wasn't looking to buy after I sold the C7000, but a local retailer had a 30% sale for 3 hours one night a little while back and it was simply too good a deal to pass up!

As I said I'm more than happy with no issues and overall a better TV than Panasonic's offerings in my books.

As for 3D, atm I'm just using Standard mode which does a nice job. Will play more when time permits. For 2D I do use Cinema Smooth and with a little bit of light in the room the RBF does a great job of keeping blacks inky. I can't say I've ever really noticed the brightness flucuations and I have been looking. It must be pretty subtle at best, at least on mine. (It was very obvious on the Pannys though).

The D8000 is without a doubt the best plasma to date from Samsung.

Edit: There is a fw update available (1016.3) for those who are game enough!

Andys.

Edited by andys

So I have these brightness fluctuations. They are definitely real and I'm starting to find them annoying. They are basically unnoticeable on a full screen image. I didn't seem to see them originally.

However when watching a DVD or other non 16:9 format program, the black bars often change in brightness. Very noticeable and quite annoying for me at least.

It is definitely related to the current picture. The brightness changes according the picture. In one case the brightness change occurred exactly when a reasonably large credit text (white) was displayed.

Anyone have an idea if the new firmware might fix it?

edit:

I have all the power saving, dynamic contrast etc type settings switched off and I'm running the settings from the thread linked here.

Edited by Shonky*

So I have these brightness fluctuations. They are definitely real and I'm starting to find them annoying. They are basically unnoticeable on a full screen image. I didn't seem to see them originally.

However when watching a DVD or other non 16:9 format program, the black bars often change in brightness. Very noticeable and quite annoying for me at least.

It is definitely related to the current picture. The brightness changes according the picture. In one case the brightness change occurred exactly when a reasonably large credit text (white) was displayed.

Anyone have an idea if the new firmware might fix it?

edit:

I have all the power saving, dynamic contrast etc type settings switched off and I'm running the settings from the thread linked here.

Yea sorry the only fix I know of is engaging Cinema Smooth when it is selectable, unfortunately not with DVD. From what I remember reading is that the brightness fluctuations occur to stop the plasma from over heating. Producing a bright white image makes plasma work hardest. That's why people have demonstrated showing a small completely white window from their pc on the plasma screen, then slowly increase the size of the white screen window. You will notice the screen dims and the white becomes almost a shade of grey. Basically to prevent your plasma from burning up. I have actually seen it really bad on older LG plasmas aswell.

So my only tip is to watch blu rays with Cinema Smooth engaged, small increase in black levels but no brightness fluctuations :)

I see there is a new 1016.3 firmware released October 7 too. To try or not to try...

Maybe have a look over at the AVS forum & see if there's any references to the 1016 fw there. There's been about 3 fw updates to date with no-one reporting any issues. I think Samsung learnt a lot about stuffing around too much with fw last year with the C7000. Up to you though. I'm not updating atm as I have no issues and would prefer to know exactly what the fw update is addressing. I think os they're actually up to about version 1020. Samsung Australia is a little behind, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

Let us know how you get on.

Andys.

Has anyone successfully enabled the advanced calibration features on the D8000? I keep reading about 'cal-day' and 'cal-night' options, and from what I can tell the way to enable these is to bring up the advanced calibration menu. From reading AVS, it appears that the way to do this is to turn the panel off, and then hit mute-1-8-2-power. I've tried that, and the menu doesn't come up for me. I'm using the most recent firmware. Is there a trick to this?

Has anyone successfully enabled the advanced calibration features on the D8000? I keep reading about 'cal-day' and 'cal-night' options, and from what I can tell the way to enable these is to bring up the advanced calibration menu. From reading AVS, it appears that the way to do this is to turn the panel off, and then hit mute-1-8-2-power. I've tried that, and the menu doesn't come up for me. I'm using the most recent firmware. Is there a trick to this?

I'm pretty sure the cal day/night settings are only for US models. I can't remember but to get in the aus service menu, when the tv is in standby mode (already switched off) off the top of my head I think you press maybe info menu mute and then the power button. When the tv switches on the service menu should be onscreen.

I would strongly suggest not going in there but if you do definately don't change anything. You can easily brick your tv. Pretty sure from memory it resets all your picture settings too.

I'm pretty sure the cal day/night settings are only for US models. I can't remember but to get in the aus service menu, when the tv is in standby mode (already switched off) off the top of my head I think you press maybe info menu mute and then the power button. When the tv switches on the service menu should be onscreen.

I would strongly suggest not going in there but if you do definately don't change anything. You can easily brick your tv. Pretty sure from memory it resets all your picture settings too.

Thanks for that.

I found the service menu only to also find that the 'expert' menu is greyed out and not accessible, and this is the one you need to access to enable cal-day and cal-night. Such is life. You're right, about reset - once I exited the service menu all my picture settings had to be re-entered. No big deal though.

I have said this before, you dont need any special settings, just calibrate the "Standard" mode for day viewing and the "Movie" mode for night.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if the Samsung qwerty remote RMC-QTD1 is compatible with the PS59D6900 Samsung plasma ???

Cheers, Jason

No. The only plasma it's compatible with is the D8000.

Andys.

• 2 months later...