Samsung Ps59d8000 Quick Review - Sub 100 Hours

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got mine all set up last night....How loud would you consider as noticable buzzing? I can hear mine but it's probably because I'm focusing on it.

Is your wall mounted Gregors? I'm taking delivery of the 64" this weekend so will be hoping mine isn't much of a buzzer. My Pioneer buzzes a little but it's below the threshold to be annoying.

hey mate, you say 100" these days? what is that?

I have a 100" projector, and recall you had a 70" SXRD in past threads, when i thought a 50" was big haha.

I watch my projector at 3.7m and yeah could definitely be bigger. I think if i get a scope lens it would retain the height, but widen to 120" or so, and I think that might be the sweet spot.

just wondering what you got, as you never liked projectors, so either you changed and gave up on OLED coming out, picked up the Pana plasma (HOLY) or got some laser or DLP tv from that states??

My SXRD was failing and was sent away for repair. I purchased a JVC X3 projector as an experiment to see how I liked it as I did not expect the SXRD to be repairable and I have no interest in any flat panel.

The JVC is exceptionally good and I really like the 100" screen at 2.8 metres, but it quires a totally dark room which is not always convenient.

The SXRD was eventually repaired after 2 months but is was not right so I sent it back, still awaiting a final outcome.

The JVC projector is here to stay but will only be used for serious movie watching.

Edited by Owen
My SXRD was failing and was sent away for repair. I purchased a JVC X3 projector as an experiment to see how I liked it as I did not expect the SXRD to be repairable and I have no interest in any flat panel.

The JVC is exceptionally good and I really like the 100" screen at 2.8 metres, but it quires a totally dark room which is not always convenient.

The SXRD was eventually repaired after 2 months but is was not right so I sent it back, still awaiting a final outcome.

The JVC projector is here to stay but will only be used for serious movie watching.

ahh all good mate. yeah i know you love the high contrast of old school CRT type tv's, SXRDs etc. I remember many previous threads about tvs around the pioneers and the 70" sxrd being mentioned regularly. thought i should ask, and i know a few 103" pana's float about, although outragously priced.

yeah i have a higher lumen infocus projector and can watch it with a few lights on, although generally all the lights go off. of course, not the jvc black levels and contrast etc, but also not the jvc price category and very watchable picture none the less. i'm just sitting low key the last few years and waiting for some new technology to come out and settle on the performance for price now, not get too obsessed. i just measured now and im 3.1 metres from screen and could definitely go closer to give the bigger screen feel. just limited placement at the moment.

ahh well, good to hear you still enjoy the big screens and good luck with the sxrd repair B)

Is your wall mounted Gregors? I'm taking delivery of the 64" this weekend so will be hoping mine isn't much of a buzzer. My Pioneer buzzes a little but it's below the threshold to be annoying.

Nah mate, just on the (HUGE) stand. I will give it a few weeks/months, if the volume is at a decent level I cant hear it...I've got the 5 year warranty so I've got plenty of time to get it sorted if I need to.

Nah mate, just on the (HUGE) stand. I will give it a few weeks/months, if the volume is at a decent level I cant hear it...I've got the 5 year warranty so I've got plenty of time to get it sorted if I need to.

Seems to have all but disappeared now. Good times! :D

I would recommend all D8000 owners regularly check their screen at all corners for bubbling.

Saw a D8000 in store which when it first arrived had no bubbling but now a few weeks later the bubbles(in excess of 4) are clearly evident.

Not good...not good at all..

I would recommend all D8000 owners regularly check their screen at all corners for bubbling.

Saw a D8000 in store which when it first arrived had no bubbling but now a few weeks later the bubbles(in excess of 4) are clearly evident.

Not good...not good at all..

I had a little bit at the top of mine the other day, thought I'd left a film on the screen haha. Pushed it back down and seems to be ok.

Has anyone downloaded the latest update yet? I had an alert come up for it but I heeded the warnings you guys on here have put out, and have skipped it for now. I think the number was #001013 or something?

Has anyone downloaded the latest update yet? I had an alert come up for it but I heeded the warnings you guys on here have put out, and have skipped it for now. I think the number was #001013 or something?

1013.3 has been out since June. No ill effects reported to date. 1016 should be out soon with some improvement to reduce flicker when using 3D in 120hz mode.

fw1016 Description:

-This firmware will decrease flickering problem on 3D mode. (only 3D model)

-change the way to get out of Store Demo Mode

-change the type of information of Info banner

-prevent escaping issue when pressing volume button on video apps(Netflix, Vudu,..)

Andys.

Edited by andys

Looks like you have joined the 3D revolution after all :D

Saw one of these demonstated in a ht store and was gobsmacked by the clarity and black levels it produced when playing the Avatar scene where the spacecraft is in the black of outerspace.

Edited by Crist

Owning a 3D display does not mean I have joined the 3D flop, ;) more a case of not having any other choice in a JVC projector. After 3 months I have not used the 3D functionality and I dont expect I ever will.

A guy from Whirlpool had his 59" D8000 calibrated, heres his post.

Last week my Samsung PS59D8000 has been professional ISF Calibrated by Aaron Rigg from Avical.

The PQ results are stunning, it produces deeper blacks and the 2D looks to have more depth, almost 3D without wearing glasses (hehe). He also told me that the picture quality is a lot better then last years Panasonic VT20 but he has not been calibrating a VT30 yet

I can recommend everybody to let your expensive TV's be calibrated by a professional.

He calibrated my HTPC (2D+3D) and the internal HDTV tuner.

Anyway, I would like to share the perfect settings for my TV. Please note that this will perhaps not be the best settings for your screen but it can help you improve your Picture Quality:)

Windows 7 Media Center 2D Settings:

http://s1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd495/...ionReport-1.jpg

NVIDIA Color Desktop Settings:

http://s1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd495/...ionReport-2.jpg

Windows 7 Media Center 3D Settings:

http://s1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd495/...ionReport-4.jpg

HDTV Tuner Settings:

http://s1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd495/...ionReport-3.jpg

Those are some strange settings. Warm1 with Blue gain cranked up?? To me, that suggests an issue with his Windows/graphics card settings.

The internal tuner calibration settings look more like what I would expect.

I haven't had a pro calibration (yet) but I found it very difficult to get rid of the orange face syndrome. The controls just seemed a bit too subtle to completely eliminate it. I tried some of the AV forums guys' settings and still get a little bit of orange skin tones.

At the moment, I'm watching everything through HTPC using a calibrated colour profile and skins tones look perfect. That doesn't help if I want to watch Foxtel/external Blu-ray player though...

With everything reset to default, I measured 2.2 Gamma and ~6500K colour by setting gamma to -1 and using Movie mode, Warm 2. That's a starting point - just need to tweak it from there.

Edited by AndrewWilliams

I think you mean rising blacks XLR8.

Correct rising blacks.

It's such a shame such a great panel has these other flaws. Looks like Samsung try to fix one thing in the new series but invariably affect/cause another.

Maybe next years generation will be spot on?

I just gave David from CNet's settings a go and they're quite well balanced. They're a lot more conservative than some of the other settings I've tried. The picture doesn't really "pop" but it never really offends either, even when watching some dodgy TV. The whites almost look a little grey. Probably ideal if you mostly watch TV but I don't think they show Blu-ray at its best.

There is also info coming in that the black levels become worst with time:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet...amp;output=html

Looks like this years samsung is suffering from last years panasonic floating blacks.

Cnet did not recalibrate between tests which they should had done, and since the particular Samsung is the only one I know of to ever show rising blacks its certainly not conclusive. Time will tell.

The results for the Panasonic's look encouraging after two or three generations with rising blacks, pity they had to screw it up with excessive brightness fluctuations and dynamic gamma.

It seem no manufacture is interested in providing a flat Panel TV that caters to the fussy owner by performing the way it should without being deliberately crippled in one way or other. -_-

Does anyone else notice "rainbow" effects with the D8000? It's very noticeable when you move your eyes quickly - much like a DLP projector except that instead of a "rainbow" it's mostly blue and yellow effects. It doesn't bother me much since I can't see it when my eyes are still but I haven't seen it before.

Is this common on modern plasmas?

Does anyone else notice "rainbow" effects with the D8000?

Can't say I've noticed it myself Andrew though only had the TV a week. My inital impressions of the 64D8000 are extremely positive. It rivals my 4 year old Pioneer LX608 in many PQ areas and I reckon it actually surpasses it in a couple of them. In real world watching I reckon colour saturation, motion processing and HD clarity are all a notch above my Kuro. Haven't watched enough dark scenes to make a discerning judgement on black levels and contrast but the D8000 certainly doesn't embarass itself in these areas (compared to my former TV) from what I've seen thus far.

Thankfully no buzzing or the dreaded peeling/bubbling at this early stage. The Pioneer produced a slight buzz when showing bright scenes in a quiet room but my Sammy is dead silent for viewing purposes unless I get right up (<30cm) from the display and then there's the faintest of faintest buzzes.

I'm sure the latest range of Panasonic TVs are fantastic too but I'm very happy with this selection of flat panel and it sure looks mighty purdy on the wall with the slim brushed aluminium bezel. On the shopping list for next year is a JVC projector and drop down screen but this fine TV will certainly keep me going til then. :D

Has anyone noticed any issues with the viewing angle? I noticed this review http://www.televisioninfo.com/content/Sams...ing-Effects.htm that suggests that by plasma standards it's a bit ordinary.

If it's correct I would assume it's due to the real black filter especially when the d6500 series seems to have a killer viewing angle http://www.televisioninfo.com/content/Sams...ing-Effects.htm

Cheers

Ant

Does anyone else notice "rainbow" effects with the D8000? It's very noticeable when you move your eyes quickly - much like a DLP projector except that instead of a "rainbow" it's mostly blue and yellow effects. It doesn't bother me much since I can't see it when my eyes are still but I haven't seen it before.

Is this common on modern plasmas?

If you are one of the unfortunate few who see rainbows with single chip DPL projectors you are suitable to see issues on Plasma's.

Some people can even see rainbows on Plasma's but most can only see occasional phosphor lag.