Samsung Ps59d8000 Quick Review - Sub 100 Hours

I have only got 15 hrs on it so need to use calibrate settings first, but from what I can notice so far it looks the same to me as the C7000.

What do you mean by sliding door effect?

When you have a panning image (from left to right or visa versa) there, the image jutters.....and ins't smooth, like a sliding door accross the screen...

The other issue I have with the C7000 is horizontal image bleeding, where with a light background with a dark image on the boundaries of the dark image will bleed horizontally all the way across the screen. I have have/had this problem with all my THREE 63c7000's!

Edited by Blackone

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The other issue I have with the C7000 is horizontal image bleeding, where with a light background with a dark image on the boundaries of the dark image will bleed horizontally all the way across the screen. I have have/had this problem with all my THREE 63c7000's!

I had the same problem on my 58C7000, though less noticable in Movie mode & I really only noticed it on some TV commercials.

Andys.

When you have a panning image (from left to right or visa versa) there, the image jutters.....and ins't smooth, like a sliding door accross the screen...

The sliding door effect is easily removed by turning motion judder canceller to OFF. That is what I did and I never saw that again.

Horizontal line bleed is common plasma fault from what I have read on the forums. It can vary on had bad it is from tv to tv.

My old C7000 had it also but the new D8000 is only minimal so it dont bother me at all because you would hardly notice it.

Thanks, Tiles...because I had my 63c7000 replaced multiple times because of buzzing, the retailer said I could return the 63c7000 and pick another set.....I was thinking on waiting on the Panna VT30 as opposed to Samsung again as the really ticked me off with the c7000......is the d8000 of a top end spec like the VT30 or should i wait??

That's a tough one mate.. for me I could not justify to the mrs spending the extra cash on the panasonic otherwise I probly would have bought last years panna.

But with the D8000 I basically got the tv I should have had last year with 3d working the way it should.

They are all gonna have their problems including the samsungs and panasonics. Yea the samsung still has judder with panning shots but I think most plasmas this size will be fairly noticable with this problem (the panasonic also I believe). But sports and fast motion look great. As automan said the line bleed is fairly minimal but is inherant of plasma technology and is on the panasonic too.

Just depends what problems are really going to annoy you most. Overall though the samsung is a great television with definately improved blacks (especially under lights - hello real black filter), 3d that works and the usual very accurate colours from samsung when dialled in properly ofcourse. And a great (in my opinion) looking bezel which really sets it off. Just try and camoflage the spider stand :)

Most reviews have both sets very close with most edging the VT30 in front slightly because of barely darker black levels. But many have the D8000 in front in a few other areas. Either set should make you happy. I've have actually had a few moments lately when I've been watching something and gone "Geez that looks bloody unreal!!", and I haven't done that in a while with tv (especially watching free-to-air).

Tiles,

I dialled in these settings from a guy in the uk forum and I am very impressed, I have tried all the other settings from the us forum and I think this look best.

settings: http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-tvs/...ion-thread.html

Good to hear buddy. I haven't got around to trying smurfin's settings yet as I remember seeing he calibrated his "popcorn" machine (some type of set-top-box I think) which has different settings inbuilt which he had changed which would ultimately again change the settings against a bluray player. But then again each bluray player probably is different to the next brand anyway.

Without doing a proper calibration ourselves this is the next best thing and all we can do is keep trying different people's until we find one that suits.

Glad you did!!

By the way, what size D8000 do you have automan?

There is only one standard for video and players with digital outputs should not alter video in any way.

Therefore in most cases settings are universal, regardless of source.

Quote from "Smurfin" who posted the Calibration Settings Automan was referring to:

"By playing back the test patterns used to calibrate from each specific source, you're calibrating the panel to source itself. As you'll notice from my posts above, my popcorn hour has various different colorspace and brightness/contrast settings within the device itself, so by calibrating just the popcorn hour, it may mean the other devices on the same input will not be as accurate." - http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-tvs/...n-thread-2.html - post #47

Just meant sometimes different machines have inbuilt settings which have been changed from the default as was the case in smurfin's settings.

Which would obviously throw out these same settings when applied to our sets connected to a bluray player for example.

But in the end as we said every panel is different and these settings are just starting platforms which in automan's case have worked very well :)

Source devices should never be adjusted, at default settings they should deliver industry standard output.

There is only one colour space for SD and one for HD, they are auto selected and should never need altering.

Source devices should never be adjusted, at default settings they should deliver industry standard output.

There is only one colour space for SD and one for HD, they are auto selected and should never need altering.

Yea good advice owen, i would never dream of changing the default settings on a bluray player or similar. I just wanted to point out the calibrator "smurfin'" had changed the settings on his "popcorn hour" machine from the default and that was why i had not tried his settings on my tv.

But in the end these settings were an improvement for automan and thats all that matters!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if you guys have already covered it, but I keep getting reminded about firmware upgrades on my new PS51D8000FM.

Should I apply them or keep ignoring it? I have reception issues but Samsung say the firmware wont help.

Sorry if you guys have already covered it, but I keep getting reminded about firmware upgrades on my new PS51D8000FM.

Should I apply them or keep ignoring it? I have reception issues but Samsung say the firmware wont help.

Ignor unless you have a good reason to "update".

I have also had my C7000 replaced with the D8000 as i had my C7000 repaired 2 times and i refused to have it fixed the 3rd time

i only took delivery of the TV last friday so havent got many hours on it.

But i must say the PQ is better then the C7000, i have put simular setting to what i was using with my C7000.

Automan can you post the setting of Tiveohd so i can have a play with them cheers

I also have abit of horizontal line bleed but my C7000 was much worse so i can live with that.

Also reading through the AV & AVS forums alot of people were talking about the peeling issue on the corners of the screen i have checked mine and its fine i hope it doesnt start after i get more hours on the tv as alot of people peeling issies started later on down the track.

P.S my size is 64"

Edited by sr20

Taycon i have the same issue with my reception and i found by deleting channels that are doubles and the radio chanels have helped my reception issue heaps try that and see how you go

Also i have upgraded to the latest firmware without any issues, but i mite hold off on the next one like Owen stated.

Taycon i have the same issue with my reception and i found by deleting channels that are doubles and the radio chanels have helped my reception issue heaps try that and see how you go

Also i have upgraded to the latest firmware without any issues, but i mite hold off on the next one like Owen stated.

Thanks, my Dick Smith splitter amp seems to have solved the problem, also I mainly watch via TiVo & Foxtel anyway.

No problems with the firmware upgrade, didn't notice any difference.

Just a quick one guys, looking at picking up the 64" version in a few weeks. What's the power consumption like on these? I understand it's going to be worse then the Series 8 LED's...But I'm wondering if the power saving technology is at a point in the Samsungs now where it will be comparable to a 4 year old 42" LG LCD? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

haha that's my thoughts as well. i been looking to get a 59-64" for the bedroom and i think 59" will be the biggest to fit in nicely.

hope you enjoy the set

I had the tape measure out in the bedroom and was like " Jesus, 64" is PRETTY big. " and after seeing the 59" in the store, I was convinced it would be ample, as we all know they look bigger at home then they do in the store. :D

Ordered the 59" version today...Was going to get the 64" but I felt it would be a touch big to be sitting 4 foot from the end of my bed haha. Looking forward to setting up when it arrives on Thursaday :D

If its 4' from the end of the bed it will be over 3 meters from your eyes. A 70" is ok at that distance but a 100" is better for scope movies.

I view from 2.8 meters and have gone from 43" to 57" to 70" and now 100" at the same distance, every step up has been a significant improvement.

If its 4' from the end of the bed it will be over 3 meters from your eyes. A 70" is ok at that distance but a 100" is better for scope movies.

I view from 2.8 meters and have gone from 43" to 57" to 70" and now 100" at the same distance, every step up has been a significant improvement.

I wish you didn't say that, now I'm doubting myself. I think the 59' is still gunna do the job nicely. I'm looking forward to having some decent blacks and not just very very grey ones.

hey mate, you say 100" these days? what is that?

I have a 100" projector, and recall you had a 70" SXRD in past threads, when i thought a 50" was big haha.

I watch my projector at 3.7m and yeah could definitely be bigger. I think if i get a scope lens it would retain the height, but widen to 120" or so, and I think that might be the sweet spot.

just wondering what you got, as you never liked projectors, so either you changed and gave up on OLED coming out, picked up the Pana plasma (HOLY) or got some laser or DLP tv from that states??