Great Buys On Ebay, Gumtree, Marketplace etc.

True. I did however just check out how much a pair of emotiva t1 would cost with shipping from the US and still close to 20% cheaper than best price I found locally. This is more a global marketplace thing since the supplier dropped their price but obviously if the vendors have already paid a higher rate it's difficult to pass on additional discounts.
I do wonder if comerial sellers of hifi work the same as say car dealers, who actually purchase stock outright and need to move it quickly or if they can sit on it for 6-12 months without distress.
I assume the import duty on ebay is just the standard rates imposed by the government - over $1000

And there is often a hidden extra in a lot of international listings. Gst and import duty gets applied to all imported items in ebay. It's often not listed in the sale so when you go checkout you suddenly get hit with about 13 percent extra. I lodged a complaint with the accc to get them to make ebay display the extra charge on all sales and auctions. I didn't get a response but I expect they'll get similar complaints from other ebay users. 

Guest scumbag
5 minutes ago, Snapper() said:

True. I did however just check out how much a pair of emotiva t1 would cost with shipping from the US and still close to 20% cheaper than best price I found locally. This is more a global marketplace thing since the supplier dropped their price but obviously if the vendors have already paid a higher rate it's difficult to pass on additional discounts.
I do wonder if comerial sellers of hifi work the same as say car dealers, who actually purchase stock outright and need to move it quickly or if they can sit on it for 6-12 months without distress.
I assume the import duty on ebay is just the standard rates imposed by the government - over $1000

All imports are now charged with GST and Ebay. The "over $1000" rule was changed about a year ago from memory. SO Ebay, and other large online sites are now passing on those charges to all imported items. I guess the 20% is worth it if you want the assurance of having warranty on the item assuming the item doesn't have an international warranty of course.

3 hours ago, scumbag said:

And there is often a hidden extra in a lot of international listings. Gst and import duty gets applied to all imported items in ebay. It's often not listed in the sale so when you go checkout you suddenly get hit with about 13 percent extra. 

Yep Amazon pull that one as well-- click on for a Shock it should read!

Willco

3 hours ago, scumbag said:

And there is often a hidden extra in a lot of international listings. Gst and import duty gets applied to all imported items in ebay. It's often not listed in the sale so when you go checkout you suddenly get hit with about 13 percent extra. I lodged a complaint with the accc to get them to make ebay display the extra charge on all sales and auctions. I didn't get a response but I expect they'll get similar complaints from other ebay users. 

That's how business is done in the US. The hidden State taxes are known by the buyer and then added to the listed price at checkout.

Same with tipping, as the US does not force employers to pay people a living wage. Not much we can do about either.

Does NOT mean that we should have to get used to it though; nor accept it as the new paradigm.

new Paradigm.jpg

• Like 1

Guest scumbag
2 minutes ago, Uncle Seth said:

That's how business is done in the US. The hidden State taxes are known by the buyer and then added to the listed price at checkout.

Same with tipping, as the US does not force employers to pay people a living wage. Not much we can do about either.

Does NOT mean that we should have to get used to it though; nor accept it as the new paradigm.

new Paradigm.jpg

Regardless of what's happening in the US, the ACCC  looks very poorly on businesses that don't reveal the true cost of an item. They cracked down on businesses not displaying a GST inclusive price when GST was introduced. They've more recently cracked down on airlines advertising prices for flights that then get loaded up with hidden costs.

I personally think it would be easy for Ebay to rewrite the code on their site to always display the "GST and duties" on any item that is being displayed to a person who's IP address is in Australia.

Guest scumbag
3 minutes ago, Uncle Seth said:

Agreed, the US does not have to dictate everything to us.

In consumer law, we have some very robust rules: https://www.accc.gov.au/business/pricing-surcharging/displaying-prices#component-pricing - though the US does have some other consumer laws that seem quite good such as the automobile lemon laws.

Edited by scumbag

1 minute ago, Dave O))) said:

Good to know. Aren't those retailers selling stands separately? I believe that matching stands alone costs $300 at least.

On 31/05/2019 at 8:54 PM, Spider27 said:

Yes, it is but I was told that it is very well made and specifically made for this speaker to make most out of it. :) 

Great speakers. 500 on the bay looks like a good deal with the stands. I'd say the guy would be open to offers considering new price is now $399 for the speakers.

• Like 1

want some big..... and I mean big woofers?

< Rare vintage hi-fi Fostex L469 18" professional woofer made in Japan .
These are is the big muttha of Fostex's professional speaker range ,  the L469 18 " woofer (9.5KG) made in for japan (a superior version of the domestic 15" revered W405) and very rarely seen in Australia -becuase air/size shipping restrictions / costs are so prohibitive . With twin suspension to avoid cone rocking , the bane of large drivers.
The cones have the multiple pressed concenetric rings to disperse resonances, as do all the best sounding vintage woofers
These sell /sold for over $A1000 each when available in japan 
See specs below 
  • Love 1

Guest jakeyb77

Not sure if these are my old ones but these speakers are a steal at this price. 

Very good sounding units in great condition. 

298AD165-092E-4DA2-BF91-34D42A03EAB8.png