Great Buys On Ebay, Gumtree, Marketplace etc.

A "Brand New" NAD M17 for $5,628.95 until May 28th @ 23:59 seems to be very reasonable to me...  alas my home-CFO pooh-poohed that idea.  Should be a reputable enough seller given that it's GraysOnline.

NB - Coupon Code 'PASSWORD' needed to get $1,000 off the initial listing price of $6,628.95, hence the expiry date of the pricing.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NAD-M17-AV-Surround-Sound-Preamp-Processor/202279577186?epid=2105458138&hash=item2f18cd6662:g:NnAAAOSwQqdaxBqn

On 25 May 2018 at 3:37 PM, PSherriff said:

A "Brand New" NAD M17 for $5,628.95 until May 28th @ 23:59 seems to be very reasonable to me...  alas my home-CFO pooh-poohed that idea.  Should be a reputable enough seller given that it's GraysOnline.

NB - Coupon Code 'PASSWORD' needed to get $1,000 off the initial listing price of $6,628.95, hence the expiry date of the pricing.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NAD-M17-AV-Surround-Sound-Preamp-Processor/202279577186?epid=2105458138&hash=item2f18cd6662:g:NnAAAOSwQqdaxBqn

Not saying it is not a good deal (don't know). Just be aware that it is probably the original M17 rather than the M17 V2, so it might be missing some features of the V2 such as 4K, Atmos, and Dirac.

I think the M17 can be upgraded to V2 spec with new MDC cards, but probably at significant additional cost. V2 seems to have the AM 17 audio MDC module (for Atmos and Dirac), and the VM 300 4K video module (for 4K). From a quick search I estimate those cards cost about $900 to $1200 each. 

1 hour ago, Gryffles said:

Beware the global shipping program!!!!! These look like a great buy but you would want to contact the seller and have them sent direct or they will not make it out of the States. FACT!

I've had my heart broken (shattered actually) a couple of times on some beautiful rare tubes. Some of the sellers in the US are aware of this now but not all.

Apparently some smart cookie found out that some tubes contain mercury (eg. #83 rectifiers) and they have thrown a blanket over the whole thing. If it say vacuum tubes on the parcel they will end up in the bin.... and I've had this confirmed by some sellers over there that have lost many hundreds of dollars worth of vintage tubes.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, unclekanus said:

Beware the global shipping program!!!!! These look like a great buy but you would want to contact the seller and have them sent direct or they will not make it out of the States. FACT!

I've had my heart broken (shattered actually) a couple of times on some beautiful rare tubes. Some of the sellers in the US are aware of this now but not all.

Apparently some smart cookie found out that some tubes contain mercury (eg. #83 rectifiers) and they have thrown a blanket over the whole thing. If it say vacuum tubes on the parcel they will end up in the bin.... and I've had this confirmed by some sellers over there that have lost many hundreds of dollars worth of vintage tubes.

Good point. I lost some rare Mullards exactly as you’ve explained. Now don’t buy anything via global shipping

• Like 1

Most sellers are happy to accommodate and it usually ends up cheaper on postage cost and your parcel doesn't bounce around the States for ten or twelve days before it finally gets to the destination carrier.

Don't want to be a negative Nelly but the global shipping program is a circus.

• Like 2

Bricasti M1 on ebay, very good starting price as they are over $14k to buy here.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bricasti-M1-DAC-Digital-Audio-Converter-Processor-incl-USB-remote-control/192555869076?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Cheers George

Edited by georgehifi

16 hours ago, georgehifi said:

I heard a Bricasti DAC at the Sydney Hi Fi Show and it was a real standout. This represents a great buy at the starting price point.

3 hours ago, Muscat said:

No idea but can't imagine they'd be cheap.  Reds are typically in collector price territory and the cost of the crossover components would probably make your eyes water.

I bought a pair in laminex cabinets for $150 about 18 years ago.

Unfortunately I sold them before the prices went really crazy.

I really can't understand why they are worth so much more than the Golds though.I prefer the Golds although perhaps the Reds suit horn loading better.It would be interesting to hear the Reds in the GRF Rectangle cabinets.I built a pair of them for the Golds and that did not work well at all.They ended up getting thrown out.

Edited by THOMO

Yes vintage Tannoy DC prices seem to loosely track house prices.  Even the less well regarded versions are asking a lot these days.  Perhaps the high price of Reds is due to their rarity or valve friendliness?

I have HPDs and heard a pair of Golds in an unfamiliar system and (IMO a challenging) room, and found Golds to be more midrange focused with less bass than HPDs.  What's your impression of Reds compared to Golds?