Beyonwiz Forum

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

www.digitalpg.com.au

The content for this page is no longer available

www.forwarderwebsites.com

The site seems to be still working though?

Hmmm, I tried it twice today, just now and after your initial comment and it does work.

Oh, you mean the stuff in the bottom right hand corner under DPG News.

Saw that a few days ago as well.

Edited by marty_monster

But you'd have to wonder why this is being done? If the same people are involved doesn't it sound a little "odd"?

As far as I am aware it's par for the course - think for example of one piano and organ salesman who keeps returning time after time in one incarnation or another...... as to why, it is one way that liabilities can be disposed of and a fresh start made. I don't know what DPG's reasons were and don't wish to speculate as it wouldn't be productive. I just hope the forum returns soon!

Years ago I spent who knows how many hours de-corrupting an old FoxPro database (under Windows 98) and porting it to MS Access (under Win 2000 via Win NT), with the inevitable loss of data. So after this amount of time I am beginning to wonder if the original forum has any chance of being returned to service.

I think "they" should establish a new forum and subsequently retain an archive section for any data recovered from the old one. That, at least, would demonstrate "their" commitment to the forum, and hence the product. To be seen to be doing nothing is a bit of a worry.

But, you know, when the old Topfield forum disappeared, we, well, got over it!

I guess we'll have to establish an off-topic Weber carbie topic here, then go further off-topic for the Subaru extension...

Cheers,

Rob

Hi guys I too have lost the vast information from the beyonwiz forums.

I'm a MAC user and I work in TV. I have my stuff that I need to view each night from work put onto my computer and then I stream it from my MAC to my Beyonwiz DP-P2. I have been doing this for years.

I upgraded to OS X Lion yesterday and the streaming has stopped working. This also happened with an upgrade in snow leopard maybe version 10.5.4 rings a bell.

Anyhoo, nice to meet you and if you could help I'd greatly appreciate it.

C

Hi guys I too have lost the vast information from the beyonwiz forums.

I'm a MAC user and I work in TV. I have my stuff that I need to view each night from work put onto my computer and then I stream it from my MAC to my Beyonwiz DP-P2. I have been doing this for years.

I upgraded to OS X Lion yesterday and the streaming has stopped working. This also happened with an upgrade in snow leopard maybe version 10.5.4 rings a bell.

Anyhoo, nice to meet you and if you could help I'd greatly appreciate it.

C

The streaming problem you're probably thinking of was with a "minor" upgrade, and was caused by a bug in the SAMBA server in that release.

I've seen a post in the Roxio Retrospect (backup program) forum that it has problems with networking because of changes in the firewall in Lion. I'm not running Lion yet, so I don't have any direct experience.

I have spent a long time trying to ask whether Commercial or Ad skipping works but can't make a new post even though I am registered on this forum.

Please excuse me posting as a reply for it is the only way I seem to get something posted.

So if a moderator could shift this to a more suitable forum I would be grateful.

Again , I have searched the forums here with no results on Ad skipping. I will be purchasing a PVR shortly and want to know if Ad skipping should be

something to include as essential.

I don't know how it works and probably only interested if it is effective and easy.

Regards busso

I have spent a long time trying to ask whether Commercial or Ad skipping works but can't make a new post even though I am registered on this forum.

Please excuse me posting as a reply for it is the only way I seem to get something posted.

So if a moderator could shift this to a more suitable forum I would be grateful.

Again , I have searched the forums here with no results on Ad skipping. I will be purchasing a PVR shortly and want to know if Ad skipping should be

something to include as essential.

I don't know how it works and probably only interested if it is effective and easy.

Regards busso

"Ad skipping" doesn't do what its name implies. It means the ability to make short one-button-press forward or back skip of a fixed amount of time. Beyonwiz PVRs probably have the best built-in ad skipping (four buttons user-selectable in either seconds or % of recording). Built-in ad skipping on Topfields isn't as flexible, IIRC, but there are TAPs that make it as flexible as the Beyonwiz. Skipping on the Topfield is better than on the Beyonwiz - when you press-and-hold a skip button on the Topfield, the screen updates as you go, whereas the Beyonwiz only updates the screen when you release.

Most non-Freeview PVRs have some ad skip ability. Freeview-badged PVRs can only have skips forward or back of a minimum of 600 sec, and are intended to make it hard to skip ads, though I've seen a post recommending setting up a forward skip of 780 sec and a back skip of 600 sec to get a two-button 3 minute forward skip :)

DVDRs often have some form of skip capability, though on the few that I've had a look at the manuals for, the implementation was fairly clunky and the resolution was coarse (multiples of 1 min).

"Ad skipping" doesn't do what its name implies. It means the ability to make short one-button-press forward or back skip of a fixed amount of time. Beyonwiz PVRs probably have the best built-in ad skipping (four buttons user-selectable in either seconds or % of recording). Built-in ad skipping on Topfields isn't as flexible, IIRC, but there are TAPs that make it as flexible as the Beyonwiz. Skipping on the Topfield is better than on the Beyonwiz - when you press-and-hold a skip button on the Topfield, the screen updates as you go, whereas the Beyonwiz only updates the screen when you release.

Most non-Freeview PVRs have some ad skip ability. Freeview-badged PVRs can only have skips forward or back of a minimum of 600 sec, and are intended to make it hard to skip ads, though I've seen a post recommending setting up a forward skip of 780 sec and a back skip of 600 sec to get a two-button 3 minute forward skip :)

DVDRs often have some form of skip capability, though on the few that I've had a look at the manuals for, the implementation was fairly clunky and the resolution was coarse (multiples of 1 min).

Thank you prl you have provided me with more information than our famous "google" could.

I now understand

I believed there are markers on TV video to start and end ads and had this wonderful notion that

PVRs could identify these markers and skip appropriately.

Then again I am a dreamer.

Great for you to take the time to explain.

Regards busso

You need to raise your post count to 5 or more before you can start a new topic (anti-spam feature).

As the days tick down to my 70th birthday sometimes I think my brain is ticking out the other side.

I hunted around and tried all the suggestions about making a post but no where did I find you needed 5 posts to make a new topic.

Obviously it is there, but in the hour or so I spent on what a newby should do and observe I didn't see it.

Again I thank you, for putting me straight.

Regards busso

Edit: wink,wink nudge,nudge for the posts above.

busso

Edited by busso

As the days tick down to my 70th birthday sometimes I think my brain is ticking out the other side.

I hunted around and tried all the suggestions about making a post but no where did I find you needed 5 posts to make a new topic.

Obviously it is there, but in the hour or so I spent on what a newby should do and observe I didn't see it.

Again I thank you, for putting me straight.

Regards busso

Edit: wink,wink nudge,nudge for the posts above.

busso

I'm not sure from your post whether you knew, but the underlined bit in my post is a link to another forum post. Click on it and it tells you about the 5 post rule and how to get the required 5 posts.

... I believed there are markers on TV video to start and end ads ...

:lol: The Freeview skip limitations (Freeview is jointly owned by all the network broadcasters) is to make it hard to skip ads.

Then again I am a dreamer.

I won't disagree there :)

Great for you to take the time to explain.

No problem.

The Beyonwiz forum seems to be back on line :)

Edit: and got spammed straight away

Even the spammers couldn't wait to get the forum back - it just goes to show how popular it is.......... ;)

Freeview is jointly owned by all the network broadcasters

That was my impression too. However, I thought I recently read that the Freeview company is actually 100% owned by channel 9.

That would explain why they were the party who brought (unsuccessful) legal action to drive IceTV out of business.

That was my impression too. However, I thought I recently read that the Freeview company is actually 100% owned by channel 9.

That would explain why they were the party who brought (unsuccessful) legal action to drive IceTV out of business.

According to a press release about the launch of Freeview:

Freeview Australia Ltd is a not-for-profit organisation comprising Australia’s free-to-air broadcasters; the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC), Special Broadcasting Service (SBS), Seven Network Limited, Nine Network Australia Pty Limited, Network Ten Pty Limited, WIN Corporation Limited, Prime Media Group Limited and Southern Cross Broadcasting (Australia) Pty Limited. Freeview was formed to assist in the promotion of digital television in Australia and enable access to the very best quality free-to-view digital programming.

A note at the bottom of a Freeview media release from 9 June 2011 confirms that this is still the case (the note is only on the PDF version of the release, it's not on the HTML version :rolleyes:).

You may be confusing Freeview with HWW. HWW produces the consolidated program guide for Australian TV in forms suitable for various different media. HWW is wholly owned by Nine. It was Nine that brought the copyright infringement case against IceTV, which Nine eventually lost in the High Court.

Special note for DrP: you can now lay any accolades for, or criticism of, the Freeview EPG at HWW's doorstep. It's apparently "comprehensive and accurate".

Here it is;

http://www.crikey.com.au/2008/07/21/so-who...ehind-freeview/

May be out of date by now but, even so, it certainly shows where Freeview came from.

Unfortunately, checking company ownership requires the application of money to the problem. The Crikey article predates the Freeview launch press release by four months. It's quite possible, probable, even, that Freeview ownership had been sorted out by then so that the Freeview press release was correct at the time, and the Crikey article was wrong. I'd have though that ASIC would take a pretty dim view of companies releasing information about their ownership that was as wrong as the Crikey article would have it.

The streaming problem you're probably thinking of was with a "minor" upgrade, and was caused by a bug in the SAMBA server in that release.

I've seen a post in the Roxio Retrospect (backup program) forum that it has problems with networking because of changes in the firewall in Lion. I'm not running Lion yet, so I don't have any direct experience.

AHHHHH PRL, you helped me quite a lot over the years.

Great to see you around!

I tried turning my firewall off to no avail.

Thanks for the idea, it was greatly appreciated, thank you

C

Edited by cactus70

AHHHHH PRL, you helped me quite a lot over the years.

Great to see you around!

I tried turning my firewall off to no avail.

Thanks for the idea, it was greatly appreciated, thank you

C

It appears that the problem goes deeper than what I suggested :(