Sign in to follow this  
wolster

Sam Stosur - you are BRILLIANT!!

Maybe, Sam will have a good run on grass- a faster surface- altho the Williams sisters will, too. Got to take my hat off to Schiavone. Great strategy, hitting, and nerve. Very impressive.

Oh boy, Schiavone looked unbeatable last night with a confidence that gives a fighter that 'edge' and Sam looked tired and slow.

I'm glad I went and had a bath and recorded the first set of the match to watch later - Even watching the second set I kept turning over channels. I couldn't stand that deep voiced man grunting in the crowd everytime Schiavone hit the ball.

She would have beat anyone last night and good on her, what a display of confidence and unbeatable attitude.

C'mon Sam, Wimbledon awaits.

, this result augers well for an Aussie girl to finally lift our own Australian title next year.............and that will be the first since 1978.

Cheers,

Keith

And just who would that be cheeky?

I think i know who that was

Schiavone played with courage and fully deserved the win.

Egg on the face of most of the Australian media who had practically given the trophy to Sam before the match began.

I agree Schiavone must have played with courage and Sam is a class act showing true humility after the match and obviously someone like Serena Williams could learn from. I don't think you can blame the Aussie media too much though as I think it was fair to install Sam as favourite as she had the form coming through the tournament and I think had won their last four meetings, with the last win being the first round of the French last year.

Cheers,

Keith

And just who would that be cheeky?

I think i know who that was

Yes mate and I know she'd love to see an Aussie take the title too!:o

Deleted post

Edited by JeffK

A pity to get that close, but what a great performance to get to a grand slam final. Maybe Wimbeldon, US Open or Melbourne next year. It would be good to see an Aussie win a female singles title.

Well done to Schiavone, the Italian fans must be very happy.

DS

I had $20 on Sam at the start of the French at $152-1. As I do with all the Aussie players. SOOOOOOOOO Close. CONGRATULATIONS to Schiavone a well deserved win. Sam you done Australia proud, taking out the top seeds in the process. Next year Go one better, I'll have $20 dollars on you all the way.

All this French open confirmed is that womens tennis is Pathetic. Quality and looks. What happened to Ivanovic?? She is at least easy on the eye, but ever since our own Adam Scott has been boning her, it would seem she is more keen on the bedroom than the tennis court.

Frankly Seles, Graf, Williams, Henin at their peak would have killed these two girls.

It was embarrassing with Schiavone being at least 20% faster around the court than the so-called fittest woman's player on the circuit.

First woman outside of the top ten to win since 1933 - that shows how bad the womans game is at the moment. heck, Serena Williams is playing at around 50% of her peak 5 years ago and she is still winning grand slams and No1.

I really hope Soderling can beat Nadal tonight, but somehow I doubt it.

Schiavone first Italian to win this - with flair to boot. It would have been nice if one of our dismal TV stations could have shown even a snippet of the reaction in Italy, instead of just being jingoistic and blasting Sam for not winning.

Cheers

Mick

Frankly Seles, Graf, Williams, Henin at their peak would have killed these two girls.

It was embarrassing with Schiavone being at least 20% faster around the court than the so-called fittest woman's player on the circuit.

As would Hingis, Navratilova, Evert, Cawley, Billy Jean, Court and probably a few others. IMHO, Steffi Graff at her peak was the best woman player in the history of the game. I reckon Andre would agree too.

All of which is totally beside the point. None of them was playing.

Ivanovic is simply another - what the hell was her name, the blonde Russian bimbo.

Are you old enough to be that big a sour puss?

Sam had won her last 4 encounters against Schiavone, beaten Henin, Williams and Jankovic to reach the finals yet came up short. She had done ALL the hard work to reach the final but unfortunately looked a little flat footed to me. Unfortunately that is the nature of the game and we unfortunately only remember the victors. With Sam's current game and all the so called top players all over the place I feel her time will come shortly for grand slam glory. Just my thoughts...

...It was embarrassing with Schiavone being at least 20% faster around the court than the so-called fittest woman's player on the circuit....

That is exactly what nerves does to you.

First off, credit to Schiavone. She came out swinging and wasn't going to die wondering. It was obvious that Sam never managed to relax and start moving freely. She was slow off the mark (for her), made some poor shot selections and, on a number of occasions, even when she got to a short ball at the top of its bounce, instead of ripping a topspin winner down the line or across court, pushed a tentative "nothing" ball to the Italian for an easy put away. Normally, Sam is incredibly agile and quick, with greater ability to make a sudden change of direction than anyone I've seen (up there with Steffi). However, nerves had tightened up her legs (and brain) and she looked stiff and wooden. She has had problems with nerves in the past. It was different in the preceeding rounds as she wasn't expected to win, there was less pressure. However, a first Grand Slam final, against a girl you have beaten the last 4 times, and a nation's hopes and EXPECTATIONS that you are going to win ... that's some serious pressure. I'm sure it will be a learning experience for Sam and she'll cope better next time.

It was disappointing to see her lose to nerves, I'd have preferred to see her play her best tennis and lose to a superior opponent. But, I hope she grows in confidence after the 3 big wins and moves forward. I don't think she has the game to become a true number 1 but I would love to be proved wrong.

That is exactly what nerves does to you.

First off, credit to Schiavone. She came out swinging and wasn't going to die wondering. It was obvious that Sam never managed to relax and start moving freely. She was slow off the mark (for her), made some poor shot selections and, on a number of occasions, even when she got to a short ball at the top of its bounce, instead of ripping a topspin winner down the line or across court, pushed a tentative "nothing" ball to the Italian for an easy put away. Normally, Sam is incredibly agile and quick, with greater ability to make a sudden change of direction than anyone I've seen (up there with Steffi). However, nerves had tightened up her legs (and brain) and she looked stiff and wooden. She has had problems with nerves in the past. It was different in the preceeding rounds as she wasn't expected to win, there was less pressure. However, a first Grand Slam final, against a girl you have beaten the last 4 times, and a nation's hopes and EXPECTATIONS that you are going to win ... that's some serious pressure. I'm sure it will be a learning experience for Sam and she'll cope better next time.

It was disappointing to see her lose to nerves, I'd have preferred to see her play her best tennis and lose to a superior opponent. But, I hope she grows in confidence after the 3 big wins and moves forward. I don't think she has the game to become a true number 1 but I would love to be proved wrong.

For your information she did lose to a superior opponent.

No she didn't, she lost to an opponent who rose to the occasion better than she did. It happens all the time.

DSK got it exactly right. An excellent synopsis of the match - especially from the point where Sam was 4-1 up in the second set.

Sam was gracious in defeat, knew exactly what happened to her, and will almost certainly do better next time. Let's hope the next time isn't long in coming. Her accomplishment in getting to the final was epic. All she has to do is to figure out why she won those matches only to lose her game when it REALLY counted.

No she didn't, she lost to an opponent who rose to the occasion better than she did. It happens all the time.

DSK got it exactly right. An excellent synopsis of the match - especially from the point where Sam was 4-1 up in the second set.

Sam was gracious in defeat, knew exactly what happened to her, and will almost certainly do better next time. Let's hope the next time isn't long in coming. Her accomplishment in getting to the final was epic. All she has to do is to figure out why she won those matches only to lose her game when it REALLY counted.

The next time Sam wins then I take it that it will be just that she rose to the occasion better.