Sign in to follow this  
sharkablue

Samsung 2011 3d Tv's. Whats Your Best Price?

The D7000s have been in JBHiFi on the display floor for a month or so now.

Oops. My mistake. Not specific in my post. Meant the PSxxD7000. :blush:

Picked up a Sammy PS59D8000 (59" Series 8 Plasma) from HN yesterday. Paid $2330. I was happy with this price.

Awesome price Well played , which HN?

Edited by troyww

Hn in Port Macquarie. They had most of their TV's ticketed at prices lower than RRP for regular days, but then the 20% came off that already reduced price. Was $2913 less 20%. No haggling required.

The 58" C7000 was going for $1500. :o

The process is entirely manual and voluntary. Even the update when you first turn the TV on can be cancelled if you prefer.

While I would appreciate a little more transparency from manufacturers about the changes being made in each update (maybe this generation will see some improvement in that respect), I think that the time has come that it is no longer such a bad idea to upgrade firmware.

With the amount of "Smart" features that these devices have these days, if you rely on the media streaming, or DVR features of such a TV, then the benefit of receiving bug fixes and feature enhancements goes a long way to offsetting the chance that any nasty new bugs finding their way into the TV that can alter video quality. While I am a believer in keeping smart functionality in a separate unit (as I suspect you are), there are some people who, for whatever (quite probably legitimate) reasons, rely on the fancy intelligent features of modern integrated units.

Sure, if the the TV was just a simple panel that can only be driven via the video inputs, or a fancy panel with features you never use, I wholeheartedly agree that firmware updates should only be performed to fix specific problems that affect your own usage. But to make an across the board rule that firmware updates are generally a bad thing can't be said any more IMHO.

Bought the UA55D8000 from JB today, $3750 including same day delivery which I didn't think too bad a deal.

MrQuade - Have you spent any time calibrating or going through detailed setup yet? Any recommendations would be handy. Also, have you had any trouble with the latest firmware? Trying to decide if I want to let the TV download the new firmware or not, given all the discussion about it.

Cheers.

Hn in Port Macquarie. They had most of their TV's ticketed at prices lower than RRP for regular days, but then the 20% came off that already reduced price. Was $2913 less 20%. No haggling required.

My local HN was ticketed at RRP .......

Thanks for the reply anyways .

I would love to get the receipt to try and price match the 2300 thatd be awesome.

Bought the UA55D8000 from JB today, $3750 including same day delivery which I didn't think too bad a deal.

MrQuade - Have you spent any time calibrating or going through detailed setup yet? Any recommendations would be handy. Also, have you had any trouble with the latest firmware? Trying to decide if I want to let the TV download the new firmware or not, given all the discussion about it.

Very good deal!

I don't really know if the firmware is worth it or not since I don't know exactly what has been fixed, and also have no real basis for comparison. All I can say is that haven't noticed anything particular being wrong,

As for calibration, so far, I have only had a chance to give it a quick run over. I used the handy built in test patterns and the colour wheel that came with my copy of DVD Essentials to adjust the brightness and contrast, but they were not too far wrong. Brighness got a small teak down and the colour was pretty much spot on. I turned the backlight down to 4, and haven't fiddles with all the black levels and shadow detail settings. Dynamic Contrast and the horrible Motion Plus has all been turned off, but I did leave the LED Motion Plus on.....I haven't been able to find out what it actually does, though I suspect it might be the setting to insert blank frames between displayed frames since it describes itself as being for fast moving scenes. In picture settings, I turned off the MPEG noise filter since it was playing havok with certain grid patterns being displayed.

The backlight setting seems to have solved any clouding/torchlight issues that I noticed in the screen corners, but I have noticed a nasty dark band about 5cm wide around 1/3 of the way down the screen. The boundary of the band is quite sharp, and I have ruled out any of my cables or other equipment being at fault. I can only think it is some kind of glitch with the zoned backlighting due to its sharpness, but I will keep working on it. It is only apparent during vertical pans, and then only with a nice mid-bright solid colour background.

Free Bonus Megamind Kit

I was at Samsung Smart TV roadshow in Parramatta Westfield last week and was handed a card that states a Bonus Megamind Kit (2 3D Glasses + 1 Megamind Movie) with every purchase of Samsung SMART TV within 30 days of this event.

Hope you guys who purchased recently or planned to are aware of this.

Regards

Free Bonus Megamind Kit

I was at Samsung Smart TV roadshow in Parramatta Westfield last week and was handed a card that states a Bonus Megamind Kit (2 3D Glasses + 1 Megamind Movie) with every purchase of Samsung SMART TV within 30 days of this event.

Regards

I wasn't aware of this, but would love to know more. Have been searching the net for a similar offer and only found one for the states. A ph number or something would be great?

I'll be able to upload that receipt, but I'm currently working away sorry. I'll be home briefly sunday so I'll see if I get time then mate.

Free Bonus Megamind Kit

Regards

Promotion Codes and end dates can be found here for the Megamind promotion -

http://www.samsung.com/au/tv/my-hub/events...tour/index.html

Thanks for the shipment info, I negotiated a deal based on the Digital Centres current advertised price of $2569 and Good Guys beat it at $2560.

TV delivery tomorrow but now no BluRay player in store, yet I was told that it was in 2 weeks ago, go figure !!

It pays to pick up items you are informed are now in stock rather than waiting for the package order to be complete. :huh:

Free Bonus Megamind Kit

Regards

Have you read the conditions? What a joke, you must attend a tour then purchase a TV. See point 3. And only from participating outlets. They make special mention of the exclusion of online shops from the promotion. Sounds like they sting you on the purchase price for the "free" promo.

To be eligible to claim, claimants must visit the Samsung SmartTV Experimental Tour at a participating shopping centre (Event), between 9:00 am AEDST on 12 May 2011 and 5:00 pm AEDST on 24 July 2011. See the following website for Event dates and locations: www.samsung.com/au/tv/my-hub/events/smart-tv-tour/index.html. Following the Event, claimants must purchase a selected Samsung SmartTV (models detailed in the table below) ("Participating Product"), from any participating Australian retail store.

Have you read the conditions? What a joke, you must attend a tour then purchase a TV. See point 3. And only from participating outlets. They make special mention of the exclusion of online shops from the promotion. Sounds like they sting you on the purchase price for the "free" promo.

To be eligible to claim, claimants must visit the Samsung SmartTV Experimental Tour at a participating shopping centre (Event), between 9:00 am AEDST on 12 May 2011 and 5:00 pm AEDST on 24 July 2011. See the following website for Event dates and locations: www.samsung.com/au/tv/my-hub/events/smart-tv-tour/index.html. Following the Event, claimants must purchase a selected Samsung SmartTV (models detailed in the table below) ("Participating Product"), from any participating Australian retail store.

think all you need is the code from each event. and they have them on the website, ring up quote the code and serial number...

And only from participating outlets. They make special mention of the exclusion of online shops from the promotion.
Interesting development. The EU recently had some big issues with major suppliers providing 'bonus' kickbacks to bricks and mortar retailers and not online suppliers. I believe they enacted a law (the Vertical Restraints Regulation VRR) to limit the amount this can go on. I wonder if a similar 'discrimination' is about to wash through Oz?
“The Commission recognizes that many products need not be sold in brick and mortar stores and has introduced important tests that will prevent potential new abuses by suppliers who may attempt to unjustifiably exclude online-only distributors. The Commission also encourages competition authorities to support efficient distribution channels that benefit consumer choice, and we will certainly work with Member States by being vigilant and exposing any attempts to unfairly limit online sales.”

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Edited by pgdownload

Screen reflections controlled are by anti reflective screen surfaces which I am not a fan of, I prefer full gloss.

The issue with lower model Plasmas is black level under ambient light. Even a modest amount of light will make the screen look decidedly grey.

If you put one next to an LCD this is very obvious.

The D7000 and D8000 not only have very effective anti reflective screen surfaces but the screen "filter" is dramatically better at rejecting ambient light and maintaining black level.

If you have a light control environment with virtually no light falling directly on the screen the filter makes no difference.

I went to Myers in the Melbourne CBD tonight to have a look at these Samsungs.

The points Owen and others raise re reflections are the critical ones for me.

Both had Horton plays a Who playing and the picture itself looked almost identical (as it did on the D8000 and Panasonic st30) but under the bright store lights the reflections on the 550 were shocking, 5 times as bad as the 6900 right next to it.

Short of asking Myer to turn the lights (!)off how could you compare in a dark environment?

N

Edited by nickc

I went to Myers in the Melbourne CBD tonight to have a look at these Samsungs.

The points Owen and others raise re reflections are the critical ones for me.

Both had Horton plays a Who playing and the picture itself looked almost identical (as it did on the D8000 and Panasonic st30) but under the bright store lights the reflections on the 550 were shocking, 5 times as bad as the 6900 right next to it.

Short of asking Myer to turn the lights (!)off how could you compare in a dark environment?

N

I agree the reflections under lights are not good for the D550 .

The D6900 is almost the same price as the D550 pretty much now anyway @ $2099 inc HDMI and wall mount + Del . Delivery to WA is $190 .

http://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/46234#comment-489130

Edited by troyww

I was in JB yesterday and the reflections under light are shocking, but my room is a purpose theatre room so wont matter, but,

I was looking at the 64" 550 but getting the better and slimmer 59" D6900 for that price is very tempting.

hmm, will the extra 5" in screen size make a big difference at 3.5m away...

I was in JB yesterday and the reflections under light are shocking, but my room is a purpose theatre room so wont matter, but,

I was looking at the 64" 550 but getting the better and slimmer 59" D6900 for that price is very tempting.

If slimness matters then the fact that the connectors on the D550 may not suit as they come straight out the back of the panel at 90degrees . I "think" the D6900 connectors come out sideways .

The built in Wifi is good for turning your android phone into a remote :)

But lets face it , Who wouldn't like an extra 5" .

Don't even consider a 59" for a 3.5 meter viewing distance, even 64" is way too small for movies. Having owned a 57", a 70" and now a 100" over the last 5 years, all viewed from only 2.8 meters I can speak from experience. Only the 100" is big enough for wide aspect ratio "scope" movies, they display the same height as 16:9 content on the 70".