Samsung 2011 3d Tv's. Whats Your Best Price?

Mine has shipped and is on its way!

I await patiently to see if it is too good to be true ;)

I am keen to see if the Australian pack comes with an IR Remote along with the touchscreen one, and if it comes with glasses, or a voucher, or none.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have ordered the UA55D8000 from Cheapbargains for $3501 as per their specials that run out tonight (am curious to see what the non-special price is now).

I was thinking of hanging around for the 60" model, but in the end thought perhaps getting the sensible bargain was a better option.

Rang to check on supply, and they said that none were available in WA, so I requested delivery from the NSW warehouse for $115 extra rather than wait and fuss about.

Fingers crossed all goes well.

Can you let us know when you get it and if it all arrives as expected? I'm surprised by how cheap that is, considering most shops I've actually been in to are unable to get any stock for 'several months'.

Can anyone tell me the difference with the Series 8 64inch plasma and the series 5 64inch plasma I know the series 8 has more feature but is there any difference in the Video Processing vs the 8.

Edited by Musical

Can anyone tell me the difference with the Series 8 64inch plasma and the series 5 64inch plasma I know the series 8 has more feature but is there any difference in the Video Processing vs the 8.

Edited by Musical

BIG different in the screen filter, the 5 does not handle ambient light at all well.

BIG different in the screen filter, the 5 does not handle ambient light at all well.

I have ordered the UA55D8000 from Cheapbargains for $3501 as per their specials that run out tonight (am curious to see what the non-special price is now).
Looks like they just have the SALE sign permanently set up in the window. Price today is stil $3501.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Looks like they just have the SALE sign permanently set up in the window. Price today is stil $3501.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Was watching the PS59D550 last weeek at a friends in their theatre room and when the bright overhead lights were on you could see yourself in the screen . As soon as the lights were off it was perfect .

Amazing picture for the money but maybe not a great idea for a very well lit/windowed room .

Was watching the PS59D550 last weeek at a friends in their theatre room and when the bright overhead lights were on you could see yourself in the screen . As soon as the lights were off it was perfect .

Amazing picture for the money but maybe not a great idea for a very well lit/windowed room .

Screen reflections controlled are by anti reflective screen surfaces which I am not a fan of, I prefer full gloss.

The issue with lower model Plasmas is black level under ambient light. Even a modest amount of light will make the screen look decidedly grey.

If you put one next to an LCD this is very obvious.

The D7000 and D8000 not only have very effective anti reflective screen surfaces but the screen "filter" is dramatically better at rejecting ambient light and maintaining black level.

If you have a light control environment with virtually no light falling directly on the screen the filter makes no difference.

Screen reflections controlled are by anti reflective screen surfaces which I am not a fan of, I prefer full gloss.

The issue with lower model Plasmas is black level under ambient light. Even a modest amount of light will make the screen look decidedly grey.

The D7000 and D8000 not only have very effective anti reflective screen surfaces but the screen "filter" is dramatically better at rejecting ambient light and maintaining black level.

If you have a light control environment with virtually no light falling directly on the screen the filter makes no difference.

I ordered the Samsung PS64D550C1M Plasma series 5 64 inch from the Good Guys, Melton Vic on 17th April but am still waiting for it to come, does anyone know if there is a delay in shipping these larger TV sets (Current Australian Dock Strike ?) or could there be a limited supply or backlog of orders?

I ordered the Samsung PS64D550C1M Plasma series 5 64 inch from the Good Guys, Melton Vic on 17th April but am still waiting for it to come, does anyone know if there is a delay in shipping these larger TV sets (Current Australian Dock Strike ?) or could there be a limited supply or backlog of orders?

Ive been quoted that they are expecting a shipment first week of June. How much did you get your PS64D550C1M for?

Mine has shipped and is on its way!

I await patiently to see if it is too good to be true ;)

I am keen to see if the Australian pack comes with an IR Remote along with the touchscreen one, and if it comes with glasses, or a voucher, or none.

Any news on this yet??

Any news on this yet??

Sure do. It arrived this afternoon and I have only just had the time to unpack and set it up. (was coming from NSW to WA, so 6 days transit).

Everything as expected, 55" D8000 TV confirmed for the $3501 price at Cheapbargains.com.au

I can thoroughly recommend buying from Cheapbargains. They were helpful and fast,, and catered for my slightly non-standard order without batting an eyelid. I'd recommend giving them a call before ordering to confirm stock with their suppliers first though.

As for the TV itself....

The TV comes in three piece....screen, stand, and stand-clip. 8 screws later and all assembled.

The TV comes with an IR/Bluetooth keyboard combo remote (Bluetooth for the keyboard side and IR for the conventonal side).

It also comes with a par of fairly cheap n nasty 3D glasses. That is to say, bog-standard, not the flashy slim ones. The glasses work and actually fit well over my glasses which was surprising.

Cables include a power cord (short), composite adaptor (very short) and component adaptor (also very short).

I haven't had time to calibrate, or play much yet, but I have it talking to my wireless AP and have tested streaming via DLNA, and all seem to work. I did try one particular 720p nkv that was giving my STB some trouble, and the TV had no more luck.

The very first thing it tries to do when you switch on, is pair the keyboard remote, and then asks for network settings. Once network is on, it immediately does a firmware update and then continues on to region settings and a channel scan (digital and analogue combined).

The hard controls are on the side of the screen rather than behind like on the D7000.

Once network is on, it immediately does a firmware update and then continues on to region settings and a channel scan (digital and analogue combined).

That's a good reason to never connect it to the net, firmware updates without owners consent is a big no no.

Is there an option to disable firmware updates?

That's a good reason to never connect it to the net, firmware updates without owners consent is a big no no.

Is there an option to disable firmware updates?

The process is entirely manual and voluntary. Even the update when you first turn the TV on can be cancelled if you prefer.

While I would appreciate a little more transparency from manufacturers about the changes being made in each update (maybe this generation will see some improvement in that respect), I think that the time has come that it is no longer such a bad idea to upgrade firmware.

With the amount of "Smart" features that these devices have these days, if you rely on the media streaming, or DVR features of such a TV, then the benefit of receiving bug fixes and feature enhancements goes a long way to offsetting the chance that any nasty new bugs finding their way into the TV that can alter video quality. While I am a believer in keeping smart functionality in a separate unit (as I suspect you are), there are some people who, for whatever (quite probably legitimate) reasons, rely on the fancy intelligent features of modern integrated units.

Sure, if the the TV was just a simple panel that can only be driven via the video inputs, or a fancy panel with features you never use, I wholeheartedly agree that firmware updates should only be performed to fix specific problems that affect your own usage. But to make an across the board rule that firmware updates are generally a bad thing can't be said any more IMHO.

Ive been quoted that they are expecting a shipment first week of June. How much did you get your PS64D550C1M for?

Thanks for the shipment info, I negotiated a deal based on the Digital Centres current advertised price of $2569 and Good Guys beat it at $2560.

Sure, if the the TV was just a simple panel that can only be driven via the video inputs, or a fancy panel with features you never use, I wholeheartedly agree that firmware updates should only be performed to fix specific problems that affect your own usage. But to make an across the board rule that firmware updates are generally a bad thing can't be said any more IMHO.

In Samsung's case it can. NEVER update firmware unless you fully understand the ramifications. This requires that you wait a month or two after release for problem reports to come through.