Saw A Samsung Plasma D8000 64" Today

There are no D8000 plasmas at JB Hifi or Good Guys Brighton (Melb).

They have the LED/LCD versions of the D8000 series only.

The guy at JB was trying to tell me the 59" D6700 plasma was as new as the D8000.

Is that correct?

I still want to see a 64" D8000 before i make a purchasing decision.

If anyone knows where one is on display in Melb, please post a reply.

Thanks.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The guy at JB was trying to tell me the 59" D6700 plasma was as new as the D8000.

Is that correct?

Yes, they are both 'D' series and only just released. The 8000 is just a higher model than the 6700

EDIT: I got a haircut this arvo and dropped into JB to see if any new Pana's were around, only a 32" LCD and the sales guy said they weren't expecting any for another 2-3 weeks at least. Delays due to the Japan earthquake.

Anyways, they had a 59" D6700 on display and the picture was very good. This was in the centre of the shop so I walked over to the rear where all the TVs are displayed and the 55" Samsung LED stood out like the preverbal. It was by far brighter than any other screen and showed much more detail than any of the other screens. The plasmas on the top level were so dark and washed out with no detail at all. I can see why people buy LEDS, they certainly look heaps better in store...

EDIT: 2-3 weeks fixed :blush:

Edited by diesel

The D8000 64" plasma is on display at Harvey Norman Port Macquarie.

Massive screen, looked awesome, the silver bezel looks great. It is wall mounted.

Don't know how it compares in quality though to the Panasonic P65VT30A

I dont expect we will see the 7000 as the 8000 is almost identical.

You should be able to get the D8000 for much the same price as the C7000 if you wait a little while.

The big problem is the flimsy stand on the D8000. The D7000 has the more robust stand on the lower series. With the kids and the wooden floors in our place, I would be watching the D8000 wobble all day long.

Any comments on whether the real black filter is really a big step up?

The big problem is the flimsy stand on the D8000. The D7000 has the more robust stand on the lower series. With the kids and the wooden floors in our place, I would be watching the D8000 wobble all day long.

Any comments on whether the real black filter is really a big step up?

I believe the C7000 stand will fit the D8000 if you find the D8000 stand that objectionable. Unless the D8000 stand is significantly smaller it should have the same stability as the C7000.

The real black filter makes a big difference if you view in anything other than a dim to dark room.

Massive screen, looked awesome, the silver bezel looks great. It is wall mounted.

AVS review put the VT30 on a par with the Gen 9 Kuro

I just went to Harvey Norman at QV in the Melbourne CBD, they had a 59" D8000 set up for 3d.

Firstly I'm not really sure about the silver bezel, but can definitely say the silver plastic claw foot looks shocking - what were they thinking?

It was playing a 3d animation (maybe Yogi Bear or something? wasn't sure) and the picture in 3d was amazing (of course being an animation...), no ghosting in 5 minutes, though still sometimes it's better not to focus on the background as the picture looks like it has "layers".

They had a 59" 550 not far away, next to a Panasonic 50" VT20, both playing ONE HD baseball: the Panasonic looked much better than the Samsung (which had jagged edges and looked fuzzy), though if course I don't know how they were set up.

Cheers

Nick

Does anyone know what model 3d active glasses come with the PS64D8000 TV?

Probably either of the 3300 range. Not a lot of difference between them all. The 3700's are the superlight ones, & a little more expensive. So I would guess you would just get the standard 3300's with the tv.

Andys.

Does anyone know what model 3d active glasses come with the PS64D8000 TV?

I could be wrong, but i didn't think the glasses came with Samsungs new panels.

These can either be purchased separately, or can be obtained free during Samsung promotion... but standard purchase does not come with glasses.

I'm happy to be proven wrong... as I'm 3-4 days out from ordering a 64" myself.

I recommend these new ultra light and ultra comfortable models that are passive and need no batteries. They work perfectibility with every TV ever made and provide the best possible quality. You can even look at the real world through them and the image is perfect, they are called eyes. :D

I could be wrong, but i didn't think the glasses came with Samsungs new panels.

I'm happy to be proven wrong... as I'm 3-4 days out from ordering a 64" myself.

It's on the spec sheet that they are included with the tv.

Cheers,

Andys.

It's on the spec sheet that they are included with the tv.

Cheers,

Andys.

Well that is great news then.

I ordered mine this week from Myer.

Plus I'm going to try get the Smart TV promotion pair also... just need to call Monday to register my new purchase.

I've been trying to catch the Smart TV roadshow at my local shopping centres, and it seems although i have the dates correct, they are nowhere to be seen.

Was at Southland yesterday, and the info booth said YES they should be on the ground level in the middle of centre... but they weren't there...

Has anyone actually been able to go to one.

Do they give out cards re the promotion, or do i just need the promotion code (as is avail on samsungs web site) ?

Saw the 59" D8000 today under normal shop lights, still looked good. Then went to another store where it was next to a 65" S20 Pana, def have better blacks than the Pana, when the sceen was all black on this demo they had the Pana was still greyish where as the D8000 was really black. Prob to do with the screen filter.

I love the styling of the D8000 as well.

Edited by SLE355

I was in DJs this arvo having a look around and saw a sales guy setting up all the Sammy TVs from settings out of a book. Is this a Samsung marketing thing or does DJs really care about trying to make TVs look as good as possible - not just shop demo mode

Has anyone rang the 1 800 110 059 number yet to claim the 2 pairs of glasses and megamind 3d bluray? If you have, what details do they ask for

"Do they give out cards re the promotion, or do i just need the promotion code (as is avail on samsungs web site) ?"

That's what I'd like to know. Chris Vav, how did you go. Is the promotion code just what's listed on the website? I.e smart tv southland?

Edited by Slattery

Well that is great news then.

I ordered mine this week from Myer.

Plus I'm going to try get the Smart TV promotion pair also... just need to call Monday to register my new purchase.

I've been trying to catch the Smart TV roadshow at my local shopping centres, and it seems although i have the dates correct, they are nowhere to be seen.

Was at Southland yesterday, and the info booth said YES they should be on the ground level in the middle of centre... but they weren't there...

Has anyone actually been able to go to one.

Do they give out cards re the promotion, or do i just need the promotion code (as is avail on samsungs web site) ?

I got a card, but you don't need it. You just need to ring the promotion hotline and state what centre the Samsung booth was at! That is all. I'll be calling tomorrow to do it (today was a public holiday!)

Edited by Trigg