Saw A Samsung Plasma D8000 64" Today

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may be wrong, but thinking about it there really shouldn't be much of a price difference between panels say 32" to 65". Of course as you increase size there's a (relatively small) increase in the value of the contents. And you can ship two 32" for each 65" box. However the technology is all pretty much the same as is assembly etc. Now we're off the bleeding edge of size I'd suggest that the fact a 65" costs twice as much as a 42" TV is largely just a marketting decision, and little to do with actual producion costs.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

I'm pretty sure your wrong but I'm curious, where did you get your information on manufacturing costs from or are your comments pure speculation, as Sales Reps never reveal their costs to retailers let alone customers.

Product prices are normally dictated by competition and what the market will bear, not by product cost. $2099 sounds unrealistically cheap for the 64" so I am interested if it is in deed true.

Competition dictates price but cost will always come into it, I turned away many sales because a customer just wanted something way too cheap. $2099 is unrealistically cheap for a 64" and it makes you wonder if they are that price how cheaply are they being made? I saw the new THP50U30A today and the picture was poorer than last years THP50U20A which for Panasonic is a bit of a disappointment.

I'm not suggesting that the overall cost spectrum isn't being observed. Just that for the producers, the cost difference of a 32" and 65" TV is small. The 32" is sold below cost while the 65" is sold well above it. End result is profit.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

On average a retailer would be lucky to be making 1 - 3% on a TV and don't forget price erosion, TV sales are up but their profits and turnover dollars are way down. Also online forums and stores have ensured prices stay to a minimum.

I consider the 32" TV's WAY too expensive for the size and performance they offer and the 64" too cheap.

Since the price of 32" TV's can range from $299 to $1499 what price should they be do you think? Also what price do you think a TV 64"s in size should be?

Saw a 59" d8000 plasma today. Looks flash but personally don't like the claw like stand. It is very flimsy and unstable.

I accidently knocked a usb cable that was charging the 3d glasses and it almost caused the set to topple. Lucky for me a customer who was next to me

steadied the ship.

Hate to think what would happen with the larger 64" and a child doing something similar.

Saw a 59" d8000 plasma today. Looks flash but personally don't like the claw like stand. It is very flimsy and unstable.

I know what you mean. You've got to give Samsung credit for leading the way with some very nicely designed panels, which the D8000 is, then they destroy it by putting on a crows foot. :huh: I thought they might have taken note of the bad feedback about that stand on the led's last year.

Andys.

I own:

PS58C7000 2010 Plasma

PS59D6900 2011 Plasma

Ive studied/compared:

PS59D8000 2011 Plasma

PS64D8000 2011 Plasma

Sorry to say, that Samsungs' D series just isnt up to the standard they set last year with C series.

They are cheaply made, and are inferior in picture quality, and try to make up for it with 'features' like web browser and in built wifi.

D8000 series have pathetic crows feet stand.

Watching fast panning sports now causes headache without motionflow turned on, which introduces new problems.

If you have never owned a large screen full HD screen b4, you may not know the diff, but after a year or so, its obvious.

D series has been made down to a price, not up to a standard.

my 2c

Edited by Spankeh

I own:

PS58C7000 2010 Plasma

PS59D6900 2011 Plasma

Ive studied/compared:

PS59D8000 2011 Plasma

PS64D8000 2011 Plasma

Sorry to say, that Samsungs' D series just isnt up to the standard they set last year with C series.

I am assuming that the 'D' series you studied/compared was in-store?

Can you be sure it was the panels that have suffered due to cost cutting and not the source/connections in the store???

I am assuming that the 'D' series you studied/compared was in-store?

Can you be sure it was the panels that have suffered due to cost cutting and not the source/connections in the store???

The panels are being made cheaper and cheaper every year so quality was eventually going to suffer noticeably. I've seen many new panels from LG, Sony, Panasonic and Samsung and none of them have improved picture quality over last years models. Every one I have seen is either on par or worse not better. They even look and feel like they are made out of cheaper parts. I'd rather pay $2k for a premium 42" plasma then $1k for a sub par one but thanks to the demands of the consumers we get cheaper not better.

I own:

PS58C7000 2010 Plasma

PS59D6900 2011 Plasma

Ive studied/compared:

PS59D8000 2011 Plasma

PS64D8000 2011 Plasma

They are cheaply made, and are inferior in picture quality, and try to make up for it with 'features' like web browser and in built wifi.

D8000 series have pathetic crows feet stand.

Watching fast panning sports now causes headache without motionflow turned on, which introduces new problems.

If you have never owned a large screen full HD screen b4, you may not know the diff, but after a year or so, its obvious.

D series has been made down to a price, not up to a standard.

my 2c

That's odd that you say that its not as good as the 2010 model because on the US forums where they have been out for a couple of months the users are saying that it Quality is great and a slight improvement on the C series of 2010.

I am getting the 64D8000 and will post my findings, and pictures when I get it.

I agree on the stand, it looks crap but I am wall mounting mine so it is fine.

I know what you mean. You've got to give Samsung credit for leading the way with some very nicely designed panels, which the D8000 is, then they destroy it by putting on a crows foot. :huh: I thought they might have taken note of the bad feedback about that stand on the led's last year.

Andys.

Hi mate it's been a while since we crossed paths :)

For those who have the D8000 plasma, could you tell me wether or not overscan is disabled in 3D mode as it is on the C7000? There are a few 3D movies that actually need overscan, Tangled & Bolt come to mind.

Hey Crist! Hope you're well.

Cheers,

Andys.

For those who have the D8000 plasma, could you tell me wether or not overscan is disabled in 3D mode as it is on the C7000? There are a few 3D movies that actually need overscan, Tangled & Bolt come to mind.

So no-one here has bought a D8000 Plasma???

Andys.

So no-one here has bought a D8000 Plasma???

Andys.

Everyone is waiting on them to come out.

Most retailers are saying June some time.

Once I get mine I will post a review.

I saw one at Joyce Mayne (North Qld) on the weekend. Didn't have time to play though. I assumed they were pretty much everywhere considering we get most new models a few of weeks late up here.

Andys.

Everyone is waiting on them to come out.

Most retailers are saying June some time.

Once I get mine I will post a review.

I saw one at Joyce Mayne (North Qld) on the weekend. Didn't have time to play though. I assumed they were pretty much everywhere considering we get most new models a few of weeks late up here.

Andys.