LP Morgan screens

Does anyone have any experiences or opinions to share about LP Morgan projection screens? I am looking at an LP Morgan Rondo 110" 16:9 IR motorised screen and would like to know whether they are worth the money?

Many thanks,

Guest Peter the Greek

Look at Oz Theatre Screens. Their quality is far superior in terms of fabrics offered and the border (fidelio velvet). The only down side is they done do a curved screen.....but these start from $7500 for a curved SMX screen....and then you need to know how to set it up correctly.

http://www.projectorscreens.com.au/shop/

Oh and they're heaps cheaper.

BTW dont get a roll up one, they dont last, they all go wavey after a period of time - regardless of what you're told

If you're hell bent on a roll up look at screen technics

Edited by Peter the Greek

I really need a drop down screen as it needs to come down in front of my 50" plasma, which I want to keep for watching the news and other basic programmes. Screen Technics and LP Morgan are both priced the same so is there a reason why you recommend Screen technics over LP Morgan? (both Australian made).

Guest Peter the Greek

ah ok, they used to be cheaper - look into the fabric type, you can learn a bit about the various fabrics at OZTS offer, learn about the specs and then compare to the LP/ST etc. LP used to have a nicer box covering the screen. Gain is important

What's your plasma mounted on? could look at a lift for that instead and a fixed frame behind.......I really dont like rollers, had two of them in the past, they always stuff up eventually - we have LP's at work about 5 years old and its terrible (an office one)

Edit: I remember now - ST used to have a chain drive model, its better than yanking the screen in the middle every time it goes up and down.....but you've got a chain hanying there, lasts longer. I had a ST about 4 years before it started to go funny...not a bad buy back then - was about a grand....no idea these days - OZTS make the best you can buy so I've not looked into it in detail

Edited by Peter the Greek

My plasma is currently wall mounted. I have had a look at a plasma lift as an option to allow me to have a fixed projector screen but it works out anywhere between $3,000 - $6,000 for the lift mechanism plus the cost of a custom cabinet.

Compared to the cost of a motorised drop down screen from either LP or ST at around $2,000, it just doesn't make sense to go with a plasma lift.

Guest Peter the Greek

Just dont expect it to last - try asking fora 5 year "no wave" warranty.....they'll laugh you out of the store - lot of money to spend on something you know wont last, IMO

Try looking for a tensioned screen. Both LP and ST should have them, as they would supply them to professional clients that display data from short throw projectors. These place the screen material under tension when the screen drops.

For projector and display mounts look at http://www.ultraliftaustralia.com.au/

They do fantastic work.

Thx Shogun2. I am going with an Ultralift Spider 70 for my projector mount as I have heard very good feedback about Ultralift. Ideally I'd love to go with a Titan Lift for my plasma and go fixed wall projector screen but it's not really practical.

I was up late last night trying to decide which way to go and now I think I'm going to move my plasma to another room, get another Foxtel box installed, and then use my home theatre room solely for the Projector and for listening to 2 channel hi-fi.

I've had a look last night at the OzScreen Majestic and also the LP Morgan Galleria Novares screens. This projector business really shoudn't be this hard!!

If you can have the dedicated projection room you should look at a fixed frame perforated screen (like in the movie theatres)

Stewart from the US make wonderful screens. Not sure who brings them into Oz though. It used to be Visual Fidelity, but I have no idea if they are still going.

We specified Ultralift for the NZ Supreme Court new building, SA Water headquarters in Adelaide and a host of other projects. They have always done a great job.

Edited by shogun2

... butting in again.

I have had a manual pull down from ST and now a motorised LP.

The casing of the ST that I had was very 'ugly' (like made for classrooms) but not sure if they make more attractive ones now.

LP on the other hand makes a nice curved casing that suits the lounge room much better.

So I guess best to check and make sure the casing satisfies your visual requirements.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Loony979

I can tell ya now if you dont have a projector the best way to go $$$ wise is to look at this site DJscreen.com

As a DJ from Sydney i can tell ya these things are brilliant. I have a 9 foot x 9 foot screen that spans out to 11 foot x 11 foot but

they recomend only 10 by 10 for mine.

they come in all sizes and mine only cost me $70 from Ebay USA.

Edited by Loony979

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update on my project. I decided to completely change my room around and remove the plasma completely.

On Saturday I started painting the room and on Sunday morning I installed an Oz Theatre Screens 120" 16:9 Majestic Evo3D fixed screen. To say that I'm impressed would be an understatement and I'm glad I went with the fexed screen rather than a drop down as I think it just looks more imposing and crisp in the room.

So based on less than 1 weeks worth of viewing I can still say that I would recommend the OZTS screens to anyone looking for a new screen.