Samsung 2011 Tvs

What a rip off the LED tv's are!

$4699 for a mere 55" and possibly the 60" to be $5499.

these manufactures are making squillions imo and at the end of the day its just an LCD TV with LED'S as the light source!!

No wonder I prefer Plasma!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

OK - some findings based on my 37D5000

1. Great Picture, very happy compared to the 6 year old (Aldi) Tevion LCD

2. The Samsung isn't earthed and has introduced a ground loop into my system - retards!

3. The Samsungs HDMI EDID is unstable causing the screen to black out around every 50 mins (on BD's via the Oppo and File changes via the HDX1000)

4. The media streaming (via Windows) is generally pretty good, but not an all in one solution.

A new tv should not introduce these sorts of issues to a system that was working perfectly - yes there are solutions like a ground loop isolator ($100) and the HDMI Detective ($125), but it's wrong when lazy design and cheap manufacture require $200+ in aftermarket equipment to be purchased.

TV's have been getting cheaper cause they're making them cheaper, sure the dollar has something to do with it but not enough to warrant such price drops over the last few years. I saw a new LG 42" LCD today and it looked worse than last years model, it just looked so cheap.

Hold on gents, "earth loops" occur when more than one device in an audio or AV system is earthed, therefore the TV being not earthed (double insulated) potentially removes earth loops. Double insulted devices are also not "cheaper".

All your devices have their chassis potentially connected together via the shield in the connecting audio and video cables, if more then one device is connected to the power point earth (ground) connection there is the potential earth loop problems.

Even if only one device is earthed it sometimes makes a difference which device is earthed.

Connecting all devices that are earthed to the same power board or power point can help. By the same token connecting earthed devices to power points on different power circuits in your home is asking for problems.

By the same token connecting earthed devices to power points on different power circuits in your home is asking for problems.

I was under the impression our MEN system took care of that by having the earth connected to the main Neutral Bar?

cheers laurie

I would agree with this statement. The prices for 58" and 63" C7000 models had crashed once all stores had heaps of stock around Boxing Day.

Boxing day was a terrible day to buy either really. Boxing day in general is a laff when it comes to bargaining as the sales guys know they have heaps of trade and can always sell to the next guy particluarly when they run lower on stock numbers...the PSC7000 58" ran out of stock in most stores. It was actually about 2 months later when i saw the price really tumble, where we saw prices for this scren as low as $1500-1600. I'd never buy at Boxing Day sales again unless it was a specific reduced item on catalogue sale. Haggling on Boxing Day is just to painful as they have to many buyers to move onto.

Not wanting to hijack this into a discussion of ground loops, but to explain:

1. The system was absent of any ground loops until the Samsung was installed. Old Tevion (which was earthed) was unplugged and the Samsung installed in exactly the same way.

2. The ground loop appeared at that same time, so I spent a full day disconnecting all the components and their cables (removing the legacy cables while I was there). Reinstalled all the previous gear, turning the system on at each connection - no ground loop appeared until the very last connection: HDMI to the Samsung produced the ground loop.

3. I'm sure it's a ground loop, a hot plug (double adapter with the ground pin removed) attached to the sub kills it and it's right around 60 hrtz

4. All the gear is on the same circuit.

5. All the other components are earthed except the Samsung ... which I suspect is somehow earthing via the HDMI cable.

Unless you are using an analogue audio out from the TV I don't see how the TV can be the problem on its own. Digital connections are not affected by 50Hz mains hum problems.

Hum from the speakers or Sub is caused by ground currents in analogue audio cabling. The ground connection in the old Tevion was probably compensating for other earth problems.

Try disconnecting everything other than the receiver, speakers, sub and TV to test.

Edited by Owen

I was under the impression our MEN system took care of that by having the earth connected to the main Neutral Bar?

cheers laurie

All earth cables are connected together and to neutral at the board however different cable lengths and associated impedance's can cause problems with hum in audio systems.

Digital connections are not affected by 50Hz mains hum problems.

That's not true as the hum is independent of the digital connection... For me anyway...

For the sub hum, see if there is a gound lift switch, flick that to on and it will work... Failing that an isolation transfomer will do the trick...

People in this forum recommend this: Jenzen but I have yet to try it....

I'm usnig an el cheap Behringer Hum destroyer which really isn't ideal as the LFE are rolled off, unfortunately that's the way my Mrs like it so I don't really have a choice :rolleyes: . Downside is you need 2 sets of cables...

That should break the ground loop if there's one....

That's not true as the hum is independent of the digital connection... For me anyway...

So a cable carrying ones and zeros can pick up hum can it?

The shield of a digital cable can carry ground currents that affect other equipment but the digital signals carried by the cable are not affected. If they where data corruption would occur and that sounds nothing like hum.

So a cable carrying ones and zeros can pick up hum can it?

The shield of a digital cable can carry ground currents that affect other equipment but the digital signals carried by the cable are not affected. If they where data corruption would occur and that sounds nothing like hum.

Digital signals aren't affected per se.. You can play nothing and the speaker/sub will still hum...

That's what I said about being "independent".. See here for my case. Used to drive me nuts.... :wacko: Of coz YMMV...

Have done all this Owen. Spent around 8 hours last Wednesday tracking it down, plugging and unplugging. The only cable that caused the hum is the HDMI cable from the receiver to the new Samsung, as soon as that is connected the hum appears.

The only analogue audio is from the Wii to the reciever.

The hum is in the Sub, but not the mains.

It seems that the TV is finding a ground through the shield of the HDMI cable to the receiver and then through the cable to the sub which is earthed. The thing is that signal cable grounds are often not tied directly to chassis ground (which is earthed to the mains connection) but are connected via a relatively high value resistor. This means that currents that pass through this resistor cause a voltage differential between signal ground and chassis ground, hum can result.

Optical cables have no electrical connection so if the sub can use an optical link to the receiver that should fix the hum.

A digital coax (RCA) to optical converter would also provide isolation if the sub does not have optical in.

Edited by Owen

Digital signals aren't affected per se.. You can play nothing and the speaker/sub will still hum...

That's what I said about being "independent".. See here for my case. Used to drive me nuts.... :wacko: Of coz YMMV...

As I said above ground currents in the cable shield can affect the ground potential of the sub amp and cause analogue hum.

Sometimes equipment just does get along with each other and you have to do whatever it takes to get around the problem.

Subs are particularly vulnerable because they have high gain at low frequencies, any hum that is picked up will be greatly amplified.

Didn't you say you where not using analogue audio connections to the sub "The only analogue audio is from the Wii to the receiver." ?

The Jensen looks like an isolation transformer for analogue audio, it works because there is no physical electrical connection between the input and output of the transformer so no current can flow to ground in the sub. Signal transfer (analogue) is via induction which has the potential to alter the sound.

As for cutting the shield on a cable, the common signal conductor (black wire in the cable) is connected to signal ground in both the receiver and the sub so there is still a path for ground currents, it is therefore not likely to fix the hum.

Disconnecting the sub from the mains earth is a fix but is not strictly kosher as there is a small risk of electric shock if there is a fault in the sub electrics that connects 240 volts active to an exposed metal part on the sub that a human or animal could come into contact with. The risk is very small and is only an issue if the sub is faulty.

Edited by Owen

I took you at your word when you said you where not using analogue connections, even though analogue is normal for a sub.

The RCA to optical converter I was talking about is for SPDIF digital via shielded cable (with RCA connections) to SPDIF optical or the other way.

As I said originally it is analogue connections that are prone to hum problems.

Unless your Samsung is faulty and therefor different to other examples of the TV why doesn't the fact that it is double insulated cause hum problems in their systems?

As I said some gear just does not play nice together.

Boxing day was a terrible day to buy either really. Boxing day in general is a laff when it comes to bargaining as the sales guys know they have heaps of trade and can always sell to the next guy particluarly when they run lower on stock numbers...the PSC7000 58" ran out of stock in most stores. It was actually about 2 months later when i saw the price really tumble, where we saw prices for this scren as low as $1500-1600. I'd never buy at Boxing Day sales again unless it was a specific reduced item on catalogue sale. Haggling on Boxing Day is just to painful as they have to many buyers to move onto.

Very true post. If you know what you want and it's a very good price it's s good time to buy, but negotiating on Boxing Day can be pretty hard work.

I suspect that your EDID dropping out and hum problems are related as the I2C bus used for the EDID and HDCP is also very susceptible to ground noise. Breaking the HDMI shield may fix the hum but will make the EDID problem worse.

Something must be injecting noise into the internal ground of the TV. If the hum disappears when all connections to the TV including the antenna cable, except for AC power and HDMI to the amplifier, are removed then it is unlikely to be an internal problem with the TV and you have an existing problem. Your previous TV was earthed and may have bypassed any noise to earth while the Samsung by being double insulated is passing the noise down the HDMI cable to the amplifier.

Have you checked the antenna connection to the TV? I have received tingles and even seen sparks when connecting floating antenna cables in the past.

• 2 weeks later...

Time for a new TV soon. I was thinking of swtiching from Panasonic to Samsung, they seem to be just as good. I'm looking for a 58" - 60" but I don't want a 3D model. If anyone has got anything to add to my research, it would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Spoke to Samsung last Friday about when I could expect my LED 55" D8000 (now I've paid them, Harvey Norman aren't returning my calls) and was told that a delivery of 200 TVs was due in about two weeks, but that there were already over 700 orders in Australia. So who knows how they will be allocated.

I asked about the status of the remote, as I had read in overseas reviews that the touch screen remote they made such a fuss over at the 2011 CES had been dropped for a two sided remote (conventional on one side, qwerty and web browser functions on the other) and, in the UK and Europe, even this wasn't included: just a bog standard remote. The Samsung bloke confirmed that Australian deliveries would only contain the basic remote. However, he assured me that the two sided one sold in the US would be delivered to purchasers at a later date. He agreed with me that without the qwerty remote, a TV web browser was pretty useless.

I also asked about the 3D glasses included. Only one pair is included: and this seems to be the cheapest of the new blue-tooth models, but the Samsung man seemed to think others would be available for sale at some stage as accessories.

I previously posed a question on this forum about converting optical audio output to RCA. An earlier Samsung rep suggested that there would a converter in the box, but this does not seem to be the case. So I'll buy the one recommended in response to my earlier post.