Sign in to follow this  
XxDeadlyxX

Tron Legacy - Prepare For Shifting Aspect Ratios

Can't seem to access that Disney Second Screen app they're talking about. Tried searching in the app store and nothing shows up. Tried going through here and again nothing.

Anyone know if this is simply not available for us in Australia? It says at the bottom of this page "not available in all territories". Pretty ridiculous given the 'world wide web' is "world wide" :rolleyes:

Cheers

it works on the 3d version just finished watching it

it works on the 3d version just finished watching it

How did you get the app for the iPad?

I can't even access it from my iPad. When I hit that link to download the app all I get is an error "Cannot complete request". When I search for it in the app store I can't even find it.

Just finished watching it, nice track :D There's a great shake your house LFE moment at 00:23:15 right when

Sam gets zapped into the computer and lands in the seat

:o The disc and cycle battles are definitely on the demo list ;)

Btw I found the

CG version of Flynn and Clu sub par and hence a little unnerving and distracting from the experience. All the rest of the CG was spectacular. I recall James Cameron found they had to dial back the human look when they created the Na'vi in Avatar, having seen the efforts in Tron I can see what he was referring to, there's something unnatural about it that is distracting. I think if they had've used prosthetics/makeup on Bridges we would have noticed but it may not have had that distracting unnatural feel to it. I'm surprised they went CG on this and I think they were hoping it wouldn't stand out, but it does and I noticed it as soon as I saw the young versions of Flynn.

Cheers

Edited by MACCA350

Yes, I noticed the intro said shifting aspect rations. I played this in 2.35 and there were no shifting aspect ratios for me, i.e. my whole screen was filled with the image for the entirety of the movie. Anyone else care to comment?

Shifting ratio is for normal 16:9 widescreen TV where 2.35:1 movie will have black bars top and bottom. With shifting ratio like Tron almost all action scenes will fill the whole 16:9 screen. It feels like suddenly moving from normal cinema to Imax. A permanent scope setup will have top and bottom picture always cut out so you will not notice any difference when comes to those Imax time. May be you can watch it again on a normal 16:9 TV to see what it is about.

There's a great shake your house LFE moment at 00:23:15

Yep that was awesome. I like the bass when the transport picks Sam up, the music there is incredible as during the disc battles. All up an outstanding mix.

i liked the film quite a bit. hired the 3d version as my first 3d viewing, with no expectation or knowledge of tron, and bought it the next day. i love the soundtrack and LFE effects. first movie/music to really stress my sub(and nearside window)

Yes, I noticed the intro said shifting aspect rations. I played this in 2.35 and there were no shifting aspect ratios for me, i.e. my whole screen was filled with the image for the entirety of the movie. Anyone else care to comment?

Films like this, TDK, TF2 (Wallmart ed) that have dual ARs are actually CIW encodes on disc. So when we watch these on a CIH system, we chop off not only the black bars, but the portions that would make the image 16:9 as well. Because of the way the shots are composed, you lose no story telling information and the scenes work perfectly for CIH.

Different aspect ratios didn't bother me. The movie itself looked (except the CG Flynn) and sounded fantastic... but the story was basically a repackage of the original and lacked much depth (much like the original). I still enjoyed the movie, but didn't love it.

It would help if they actually finish the script next time before filming starts on the sequel.

Panasonic 65 inch (VT20) 3D TV and Tron Legacy (3D Blu-ray)

This is where a 3D TV and a movie actually shot in 3D come into their own! Awesome!! :D

Buying the 3D Tron Legacy Blu-ray wasn't cheap - $40 (plus because it has just hit the shelves) - but it was well worth it.

The Daft Punk movie sound track also gave my Sub a work over as well :D

(Sorry for the double post - posted the same comment in the 3D TV section - but thought it might also be relevant here)

I Use a Anamorphic Lens and I can see it as it was in the theaters in 2.40.1:) And I bet other will do the same thing.

Edited by Musical

I picked up 3D Tron Legacy today from Woolworths. It was expensive but just watched it and worth every cent.

There is a warning at the start of the movie that tells you that some scenes are 2D. Once they are on the grid thought its all 3D.

It's really the first movie we have sat down and watched all the way thru since connecting both of my submersives. Maybe I have them running hot at -16 but boy is it fun watching a movie with scenes like the light cycle fight in this movie.

The 3D is great(Panasonic VT20A 65) and although I find the glasses annoying at first, I soon forget about them.

I noticed nothing weird in the movie so not sure about any shifting aspect rations. I saw it at the movies in 3D and it was much better at home but probably because of the sound. Tonight was a culmination of a few things,

new OPPO 95, connected up 2nd SubM and watching on my now wall mounted plasma, plus I got in first and sat in the best recliner seat right dead centre of screen.

The BD comes with a 2D copy as well for those without 3D TV. :D :D

Edited by bradp51

Sounds excellent, I'm hoping my disc arrives very shortly from Amazon UK. With the OPPO 95 still coming then hopefully the PS3 will hold up in the mean-time. I live in an apartment so I think the neighbours are in for a treat on a school night :o

I must say I was pretty underwhelmed with the 3D version on a 58" Samsung, maybe it was the fluoro style, but there were few scenes that had any real depth, and the 3D really seemed like an after thought.

I will reserve judgement until I have watched the 2D version on projector with HD sound

i have to agree with kopthat.

i have just watched tron 3d on a 55 inch tv.

the 3d is very underwhelming!

i have read about the production of this movie on wikipedia and it looks like it was shot similarly to avatar.

so i can only assume it was the directors decision to produce very subtle 3d images.

i would have preferred to see more vivid 3d footage but thats just me...

with regards to the shifting aspect ratio's.

i never even noticed it once while watching on a 55 inch tv.

i will watch it next on the projector tomorrow and report back.

justin.

Just watched the movie, and even though I didn't think much of the storyline...the PQ and AQ were outstanding and I thoroughly enjoyed it from that respect. It's been a while since my sub has been given this sort of workout! :) I would watch it again just to rattle the house!! :lol:

The special effects were stunning - it's mind blowing how far effects have come in the last 20 odd years (since Tron back in the '80s).

I finally got to watch Tron Legacy while the wife was at work.

The sound was cranked up nice and high, and the sub was going nuts.

Awesome movie with awesome PQ and SQ.

Watched in last night, and like most other people the LEF was mind blowing!

Only had the avr up to -15 but that was more than enough. The submersive pounded it out. By far the best bass movie ive ever heard. Will be my new demo disc for sure.

And as others had said, the story is pretty average but its the PQ and AQ that is great. Got the original Tron as well, looking forward to watching it to see how it was done back in the day :P