Tron Legacy - Prepare For Shifting Aspect Ratios

I must say I was pretty underwhelmed with the 3D version on a 58" Samsung, maybe it was the fluoro style, but there were few scenes that had any real depth, and the 3D really seemed like an after thought.

I will reserve judgement until I have watched the 2D version on projector with HD sound

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have to agree with kopthat.

i have just watched tron 3d on a 55 inch tv.

the 3d is very underwhelming!

i have read about the production of this movie on wikipedia and it looks like it was shot similarly to avatar.

so i can only assume it was the directors decision to produce very subtle 3d images.

i would have preferred to see more vivid 3d footage but thats just me...

with regards to the shifting aspect ratio's.

i never even noticed it once while watching on a 55 inch tv.

i will watch it next on the projector tomorrow and report back.

justin.

Just watched the movie, and even though I didn't think much of the storyline...the PQ and AQ were outstanding and I thoroughly enjoyed it from that respect. It's been a while since my sub has been given this sort of workout! :) I would watch it again just to rattle the house!! :lol:

The special effects were stunning - it's mind blowing how far effects have come in the last 20 odd years (since Tron back in the '80s).

Watched in last night, and like most other people the LEF was mind blowing!

Only had the avr up to -15 but that was more than enough. The submersive pounded it out. By far the best bass movie ive ever heard. Will be my new demo disc for sure.

And as others had said, the story is pretty average but its the PQ and AQ that is great. Got the original Tron as well, looking forward to watching it to see how it was done back in the day :P

Watched this last night.. This movie will be amazing on a BIIIIIGGG screen.. :wub: With a crowd... :wub::wub: A reference disc for sure... :wub::wub::wub:

My wife said, "That's one ugly dog"... :lol: Ah the wonders of HD...

And as others had said, the story is pretty average but its the PQ and AQ that is great. Got the original Tron as well, looking forward to watching it to see how it was done back in the day :P

Well, the story isn't that much different from the 1982 TRON. It's recycled and updated. Zuse was the most interesting character in the new movie. And this looks just as good in regular old 2D.

Watched the old and the new back to back last night, good fun! :)

I have to say they weren't light handed on the bass on the classic remaster either!

CGI certainly has come a long way in the intervening years but it was good to see how sympathetic the new was to the style of the old.

There were a few concepts alluded to during the movie that certainly could have used a bit more elaboration but otherwise I didn't think the storyline was that bad in the new version.

It did have similarities to the old but not as much as some here appear to be making out. There was a lot more 'story' in the new compared to the old for sure!

I could also see a number of openings left in the events of the new movie to allow for another sequel if they wanted, too.....

I could also see a number of openings left in the events of the new movie to allow for another sequel if they wanted, too.....

That's the part I don't like... :D But then alot of the movies do this now..

Can anyone who has obtained the UK double pack confirm it is 2 discs, as amazon (I think) wrongly has it marked as 1 disc. The standalone version says it has 2 discs so I gather the double pack is missing a special features disc for each film? I gather AQ is identical to ours and the US release?

Cheers,

JSmith :ninja:

Thought it was a decent movie overall, maybe the ending was a bit rushed, but not bad. The audio was spine-melting and the picture was stunning too.

I had the masking up for 2.35:1 (pj setup), but there seemed to be a significant amount of the movie done in 16:9 to warrant leaving it off - might do another viewing at some point with it off.

Can anyone who has obtained the UK double pack confirm it is 2 discs, as amazon (I think) wrongly has it marked as 1 disc. The standalone version says it has 2 discs so I gather the double pack is missing a special features disc for each film? I gather AQ is identical to ours and the US release?

Cheers,

If your refering to the one with both movies from Amazon UK. It only has one disk. (yet to open the original movie though, only legacy)

If your refering to the one with both movies from Amazon UK. It only has one disk. (yet to open the original movie though, only legacy)

They are both single discs.......

Made for a great double-header movie night though! :)

They are both single discs.......

Made for a great double-header movie night though! :)

I thought Amazon UK must be wrong on that one... I didn't think they'd squeeze the two onto one disc.

As for special features on the discs, I gather they are the same also as the US release?

Edited by jsmith

I thought Amazon UK must be wrong on that one...

So if I buy the double pack from the UK, I gather I'll be missing out on the special features discs included with both individual releases?

All replies appreciated.

What special feature discs.

the singles come with additional DVD disc only.

The special features are on the single BD with movie I believe.

What special feature discs.

the singles come with additional DVD disc only.

The special features are on the single BD with movie I believe.

Correct! :)

All the extras are on the Blu-ray disc.

Multi disc copies from the US just have multiple copies of the movie on different format discs...... :wacko:

Here's a link to the differences between the UK & US discs. Not much in it really.

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=17870

• 4 weeks later...

Had this disc for a while now although only watched it once...my wife lent it out shortly after we first got it.

Had another look the other night...mostly was checking out something on my 3D panel.

Is anybody else noticing that on some scenes early in the movie on the grid there appears to be what I can kinda sorta describe as fuzz or static over the screen. Rewound disc and it's definitely there. During the fight scenes and also the subsequent scenes on the 'bikes.'

It's not just me or just the specs cuz there were two of us watching it and both noticed it at the same time(s) and I also changed specs and reproduced this.

Is this meant to be part of the movie?

I had also a quick look at Christmas Carol in 3D and didn't notice this effect at all - ordinary movie but great 3D.

blairy