Squeezebox Touch

Is it possible to use an external hard drive with the Squeezebox Touch as a mini jukebox ?

The idea is to copy my CD's to a WD hard drive, plug it into the Squeezebox Touch which is connected to the amplifier

Is this going to work or is there a better way ?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it possible to use an external hard drive with the Squeezebox Touch as a mini jukebox ?

The idea is to copy my CD's to a WD hard drive, plug it into the Squeezebox Touch which is connected to the amplifier

Is this going to work or is there a better way ?

Unfortunately no, the SB needs a computer network to drive it.

Something like the WD MediaPlayer will do what your asking but you will need to connect that to a monitor to use the menu that way.

Something like the WD MediaPlayer will do what your asking but you will need to connect that to a monitor to use the menu that way.

Well then, would a NAS similar to the one in my .sig work for the OP? :huh:

Actually the Touch is the one exception...... See here

The Touch then connects over a local network over either 802.11 or Ethernet to pull in music, though it can also connect to external storage via USB or the SD slot on the side.

Well then, would a NAS similar to the one in my .sig work for the OP? :huh:

Yes mate, i do believe it can run off a NAS. Don't own one myself, but i'm sure i've read of people running them off a NAS. From memory Al does/did it that way...

• 1 month later...

• 1 month later...

all the info re: running a SB Touch direct from a HDD. http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Sque...me_Music_Server

Seems it is slightly restricted compared to running squeeze sever. Not being a SB user i'd have no idea in what ways it's restricted.

Would be nice to know what, if any, USB powered drives it can use. I'm getting low on outlets :mellow: And be nice to have the HDD power down when the SB is turned off without the need for triggered power boards etc.

Recently had one of my Airport Express's die, and at the current Logitech shop price i'm very tempted to replace it with a SB Touch and portable HDD.

Edited by (_*_)

Same !

Cool. I look forward to reading your thoughts on the unit.

There are a few settings in the SqueezeServer (or whatever it is called these days) that you might want to look at before doing any comparisons (to make sure your transferring a bit perfect copy, no DSP applied for volume control, gain replay etc.). I'll see if I can find a link later on.

Cheers mate. That'd be great.

Hmm, I can't seem to find the simple thread I found some time ago. Basically it said to turn off digital volume and gain reply, set volume to max etc. I can't remember the others sorry. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

I did find this monster thread -> http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=84742

I have been meaning to read some of it but never quite work up the motivation.

Realistically I have no idea if the stuff in that thread is BS or not.

Edited by Drizt

I found to get the best out of it, I had to install the latest 7.6 beta software from http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/index.php

Music Library scanning is much faster in this version too. Use to take nearly 10 mins using version 7.4, with version 7.6 it's down to less than 3 mins.

http://svn.slimdevices.com/repos/slim/7.6/...Changelog7.html

Edited by Dr X