Sign in to follow this  
diesel

Panasonic 2011 Tv Line Up

If it's anything like the 2010 models you can simply turn motion interpolation off completely, both normal IFC and Smooth Film for 24p playback have separate levels including Off.

No the motion smoother replaces the IFC on the 2011 models and there is at least 2 settings for it, high weak and off I think.

That's fine. The point is that it can be (and should be) turned off on a plasma as it's unnecessary.

lol...

Thats good I didn't know there was different levels, I thought there was just on and off.

After reading this review Pana review one thing smacks me right in the face.Pana once again seem to have delivered us a TV with unnecessary and unacceptable flaws.It's all very well for reviewers to say yeah but apart from the balls ups it's still a good TV.How many years do we have to wait for this company to give us a TV without these special "quirks"?

After reading this review Pana review one thing smacks me right in the face.Pana once again seem to have delivered us a TV with unnecessary and unacceptable flaws.It's all very well for reviewers to say yeah but apart from the balls ups it's still a good TV.How many years do we have to wait for this company to give us a TV without these special "quirks"?

Can you list the cliff notes on said quirks?

Of course, there is still the issue of low-level gamma fluctuation, which is certainly the cloud hanging over the 2011 Panasonic Plasma range.
It turns out that, if the user brings up the TV’s menu (which is necessary to adjust the [White Balance] settings, unless the calibrator is using CalMan Professional to directly alter the television’s settings via a PC), a small luminance shift occurs, which also alters the Greyscale tracking in dark shades.
When we then returned to real-life content, we saw that this resulted in quite obvious static contouring: for example, newsreaders would have reflections from overhead studio lights on their foreheads exaggerated and made to look like large sweat patches

Mute point really. Unless you're using a proper calibration tool, like CalMan, then there's not much point playing around with such settings.

Andys.

You will be waiting an eternity. Panasonic indicated to Phil Hinton of AVforums that they are not interested in producing a TV for the Videophile market. They quoted Pioneer and Fujitsu's failed attempts at doing so.

Even the much coveted Pio 09 series were not perfect. They also suffered from posterization issues.

I am sticking with my 65Vt20. I have no interest in upgrading in the near future. I am more than happy with my Pana as it is.

Edited by Crist

You will be waiting an eternity. Panasonic indicated to Phil Hinton of AVforums that they are not interested in producing a TV for the Videophile market. They quoted Pioneer and Fujitsu's failed attempts at doing so.

Even the much coveted Pio 09 series were not perfect. They also suffered from posterization issues.

I am sticking with my 65Vt20. I have no interest in upgrading in the near future. I am more than happy with my Pana as it is.

I'm looking at the Sammy PS64D8000 over Pana as maybe the best deal going but that's got it's own issue of over aggressive noise reduction that can't be turned off.One way or another i have to do something this year because my 54" is no longer big enough.

crist makes some good points, the tv companies want to biggest sales, so getting every videophile feature fixed wont happen......eckythump, the features you mention do make a difference, but only to a minority of potential customers

Personally if they pushed the 65" tv's, but emphasised 'easy to use' and maybe ' 'free setup' etc then they would get a LOT more sales. I know a lot of people in perth in the 70+ age bracket (mostly parents of friends-with no mortgage, good savings, self funded retirees, etc) who would upgrade their tv (plus large size makes for easier viewing) but they are scared off by the hassle of learning a new tv and remote... plus better tv speakers, as many older customers have hearing issues, but dont want to set up a separate amp system....

you get someone with failing eyesight, then going from 40-50"tv up to a new 65" they will notice a HUGE difference in how easy it is to watch movies

Edited by larry

For the people wanting Panasonic to make a better tv without the flaws they already do.....the premier models are fantastic. Sure they dont include a tuner or speakers but most on here wouldn't use them anyway.

Only thing is the price, yet time and time again i hear people say that if its the right product they would happily pay.

My dad bought one and its excellent. amazing picture (not to mention it comes with a free calebration when you purchase)

The fluctuating brightness isn't a deal breaker as such, because most reviews and users state it is difficult to see, or completely absent, especially in THX mode. I still haven't seen the fluctuating blacks people complained about on my 2010 Panasonic, so let's not get carried away and assume this is some huge problem despite the hype. And as the review mentions, to get past the subtle luminance shifts during calibration you go back to a black screen briefly after changing a menu option before taking the measurement. It only occurs on the 10% grey test window, so it's hardly 'unacceptable'.

Still, I agree it's a shame these TVs have these issues, as otherwise they'd be close enough to perfect for most people. But as just noted by others in this thread, Panasonic has nothing to gain from making their mainstream offerings videophile quality. Panasonic Premiere seems a good option for those wanting top quality. Here's a review of last year's 50" Premiere model. Note the $7,000 price tag.

Personally if they pushed the 65" tv's...

Personally, I just can't stand a 65" screen at 3-4m. It's not just the viewing angle, it's the fact that every flaw in movie material is much more obvious the larger the screen is and the closer it is to you. Having gone from a 42" to a new 50" at 3m I definitely saw extra flaws previously unseen. Jumping up to 65" at anything less than 4-5m simply enhances flaws even further, even in the best blu-ray material. And my TV is calibrated with a colorimeter, so it's not that my settings are somehow exaggerating the flaws. It simply stands to reason that the larger you blow up an image, and the closer you sit to it, the more clearly you will see its flaws. This doesn't even include the fact that some people (like myself) don't feel comfortable with that "head inside a screen" feeling when viewing a large image too closely, similar to sitting in the front half of a movie theater.

Edited by PersianImmortal

For the people wanting Panasonic to make a better tv without the flaws they already do.....the premier models are fantastic. Sure they dont include a tuner or speakers but most on here wouldn't use them anyway.

Only thing is the price, yet time and time again i hear people say that if its the right product they would happily pay.

My dad bought one and its excellent. amazing picture (not to mention it comes with a free calebration when you purchase)

I agree, I don't think I've used the tuner section on any of my TVs since about 1990. I really don't know why I persist in buying them with tuner in-built, probably because I'm in a situation where I need to buy them on finance and the outlet from which I buy, doesn't stock the monitors. In the old days, I always had SONY Profeel monitors which had no tuners but I had at least four VCRS ganged and they provided the tuner section. Now I use my two PVRs as the tuners and record ABSOLUTELY everything and play back through my receiver. If I weren't a pensioner, things would be MUCH easier.

Was in JB HiFi Macquarie Park this afternoon looking for any new Panasonic plasmas and saw the new 55"ST model. Really like the bezel of this years model compared to last years S series. Picture looked as good as any other considering the lighting conditions, but am really disappointed with the connections on the rear. They are all perpendicular (900) to the screen, so when I go to wall mount it, I will need a higher profile wall mount to ensure the cables have enough room to turn the 900 to head towards where I will feed them down behind the wall.

Had another look in HN at Chatswood today at a 50" ST30. The power plug seems to be slightly better recessed and angled at 900 anyway, so no bother, but looking from on top of the screen I notice the botton couple of inches of the screen has a bulge. This reminds me of my PX600 model which has a huge bulge down the bottom due to the subwoofers. Now if the bulge on the ST30 is for better speakers then I'm more than happy with that, as I mostly watch TV using the TV speakers anyway, but then why not make the screen slightly thicker and angle the connections downward instead of outward???

I appreciate that these are not premium products but more a mass market scatter gun approach.As has been pointed out "most people won't notice" and the sales pitch is to baffle them with bullsh!t of "Smart" and "3d".The fact remains however that Panasonic has set the prices of there mainstream products at a premium over Samsung that all the stats say is not justified.To me Panasonic seem to be trying to trade on past perceptions rather than todays reality.

But where one manufacturer may have more features or better picture quality, the other may have better build quality or better implemented technology.

Samsung certainly pack a lot of features and have a very attractive price point, and well may be the best value for money and performance, but that's the great thing about competition - even when it's really only a duopoly!!

Personally, I just can't stand a 65" screen at 3-4m. It's not just the viewing angle, it's the fact that every flaw in movie material is much more obvious the larger the screen is and the closer it is to you. Having gone from a 42" to a new 50" at 3m I definitely saw extra flaws previously unseen. Jumping up to 65" at anything less than 4-5m simply enhances flaws even further, even in the best blu-ray material. And my TV is calibrated with a colorimeter, so it's not that my settings are somehow exaggerating the flaws. It simply stands to reason that the larger you blow up an image, and the closer you sit to it, the more clearly you will see its flaws. This doesn't even include the fact that some people (like myself) don't feel comfortable with that "head inside a screen" feeling when viewing a large image too closely, similar to sitting in the front half of a movie theater.

Gee, I dont know how I can put up with a nice projector and 100" screen viewed from 2.8 meters, I must be insane. :D

Seriously, dont judge what is possible on what you have seen on flat panel TV's. Flat panels, both Plasma and LCD have been and remain a compromise as far as picture quality is concerned,

I suppose it all boils down to personal taste.

Might just go with a 58" VT20 and be done with it! gaaarhh

Might just go with a 58" VT20 and be done with it! gaaarhh

All things considered that's not a bad choice at all, if you can still find one.

Andys.

All things considered that's not a bad choice at all, if you can still find one.

I think JB Chatswood might have one...

any comments on the panasonic plasma 42" U30A? what is the best price paid?

Following on from this mini-thread about the new Panasonics...

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...t&p=1712083

VT30A vs GT30A vs ST30A

Thanks chaps.

It does seem that at least one reviewer has measured slightly deeper blacks on the VT30, as compared to the GT30. Given that I haven't bought into plasma or LCD yet due to their black level performance, I think it'd be wiser to grab a VT30A when it comes out, rather than taking a chance on a GT30. I'm aiming for a 55-inch set at present. Had thought there would be no 50-inch VT30A set, but one is listed on Panasonic's website.

Rod

I think JB Chatswood might have one...

I live in Bisbane :o

Following on from this mini-thread about the new Panasonics...

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...t&p=1712083

VT30A vs GT30A vs ST30A

Thanks chaps.

It does seem that at least one reviewer has measured slightly deeper blacks on the VT30, as compared to the GT30. Given that I haven't bought into plasma or LCD yet due to their black level performance, I think it'd be wiser to grab a VT30A when it comes out, rather than taking a chance on a GT30. I'm aiming for a 55-inch set at present. Had thought there would be no 50-inch VT30A set, but one is listed on Panasonic's website.

Rod

I saw an ST30 and a GT30 near each other in Myer Brisbane yesterday and they both looked great PQ wise, I think the difference in blacks is negligible, although it was playing an outside scene from Avatar with lots of colours. They both looked great and much better than the two D8000 Sammy's (all played from the same source and through component with probably default settings)