Sign in to follow this  
diesel

Panasonic 2011 Tv Line Up

Sorry I should have said, thinking about it more, I guess the main reason is because of the price. 65" is just too damn expensive especially when you can get a fairly decent projector for < $1300. The 2nd reason is space limitations, it's for the living room which is quite small, even though we're moving soon, it's going to be to an apartment as well.

Very disappointed with Panasonic, I don't want to have to get Samsung :(

The Base model 65" Panasonic was going for about $2500, not exactingly expensive and the top range 3D 63" Sammy was going for less than $3300.

If you have room for a 60", 63" or 65" is not a big stretch.

Not sure how projectors are relevant to the discussion, if your can use one in your environment why but a Plasma? Having said that I dont know what sort of projector $1300 buys, anything with good contrast and colour is a LOT more expensive.

Edited by Owen

Was in JB HiFi Macquarie Park this afternoon looking for any new Panasonic plasmas and saw the new 55"ST model. Really like the bezel of this years model compared to last years S series. Picture looked as good as any other considering the lighting conditions, but am really disappointed with the connections on the rear. They are all perpendicular (900) to the screen, so when I go to wall mount it, I will need a higher profile wall mount to ensure the cables have enough room to turn the 900 to head towards where I will feed them down behind the wall.

They had a couple of 58" S series and 1 display 58" VT brake.

I saw a new ST30 yesterday in Myer as well and thought the exact some thing that you did. Although it was a 50" and was $1900. I actually liked the look of it and the salesman said that they have nothing to do with the older ST's (ST being 'crap') and he thinks that they might even have the same panels as the GT's but wasn't sure because they didn't get any yet. Reall cool guy actually, didn't crap on and if he didn't know anything he said so.

If this is the case I might get a 60" ST30!

Do you remember how much 58VT's were?

The Base model 65" Panasonic was going for about $2500, not exactingly expensive and the top range 3D 63" Sammy was going for less than $3300.

If you have room for a 60", 63" or 65" is not a big stretch.

Not sure how projectors are relevant to the discussion, if your can use one in your environment why but a Plasma? Having said that I dont know what sort of projector $1300 buys, anything with good contrast and colour is a LOT more expensive.

Was that base model last years S series? My budget is 2000 - 2200 but I could possibly stretch it to 2500. I guess it depends on how much they new ones are.

I could go 60" quite easily and would probably prefer it to be honest.

I can't accommodate a projector at the moment but I will be looking into one when we move.

Edited by brake

If this is the case I might get a 60" ST30!

My budget is 2000 - 2200 but I could possibly stretch it to 2500. I guess it depends on how much they new ones are.

I could go 60" quite easily and would probably prefer it to be honest.

RRP of the 60ST30 is likely to be a tad over $3K, there abouts. Compared to the VT20 the ST30 has slightly higher blacks, (the theory is the black level has been pre-baked at the factory & therefor is unlikely to rise), colour balance is slightly off on the ST, but 3D is slightly better with next to no ghosting, though there was very little to begin with on the VT. So there's not a lot in it. The VT20 is certainly value for money at the moment, if you can find one.

Andys.

I saw a new ST30 yesterday in Myer as well and thought the exact some thing that you did.
Yeah, I had a look at the Sammy's and the 550 series was the same for the power plug and antenna, but other connections were pointing down or sideways....much better. Didn't see any Samsung 6700 or 8000 series plasmas to compare to, but it looks like they should be similar to the 550. It seems it's a side effect of the slimmer panels.
I actually liked the look of it and the salesman said that they have nothing to do with the older ST's (ST being 'crap') and he thinks that they might even have the same panels as the GT's but wasn't sure because they didn't get any yet. Reall cool guy actually, didn't crap on and if he didn't know anything he said so.
I'm pretty sure I read that all 1080p TVs have the panels with the faster phosphors which debuted last year in the VT (and maybe G series)
Do you remember how much 58VT's were?
58" VTs were going for ~$2200 during Feb/Mar. The display model they had was asking $1900ish
Was that base model last years S series? My budget is 2000 - 2200 but I could possibly stretch it to 2500. I guess it depends on how much they new ones are.
Yep. The S20 65" was commonly ticketed at $2500, with people picking it up for $2100-$2200.

RRP of the 60ST30 is likely to be a tad over $3K, there abouts. Compared to the VT20 the ST30 has slightly higher blacks, (the theory is the black level has been pre-baked at the factory & therefor is unlikely to rise), colour balance is slightly off on the ST, but 3D is slightly better with next to no ghosting, though there was very little to begin with on the VT. So there's not a lot in it. The VT20 is certainly value for money at the moment, if you can find one.

Andys.

So basically, if the 60ST's retail at just over $3000, hopefully I wil be able to get one at $2000 - $2200 after some months... but the 58VT can probaly be had for the same amount now...

So the question is which would I prefer and which is better?

Yeah, I had a look at the Sammy's and the 550 series was the same for the power plug and antenna, but other connections were pointing down or sideways....much better. Didn't see any Samsung 6700 or 8000 series plasmas to compare to, but it looks like they should be similar to the 550. It seems it's a side effect of the slimmer panels.

I'm pretty sure I read that all 1080p TVs have the panels with the faster phosphors which debuted last year in the VT (and maybe G series)

58" VTs were going for ~$2200 during Feb/Mar. The display model they had was asking $1900ish

Yep. The S20 65" was commonly ticketed at $2500, with people picking it up for $2100-$2200.

Cool, thanks for that. I'm gonna go around looking for a 58VT this weekend anyway just to see what's around.

Review of the Panasonic TX-P42VT30B Here which I assume is the same as we are getting in Oz.

Picture quality wise, the VT30 hasn't improved much over the VT20

I've been reading some very interesting, knowledgable and in depth reviews from Chad over at the AVS forums about the new Panasonics, he actually thinks quite highly of the 8 series Samsungs and they seem to be quite good.

Starting to reconsider..

So I'm still waiting for the 65 inch to arrive in Oz - looks like it will be July at the earliest & August at the latest. Gee its hard being patient.

I could get impatient & get a samsung but I think it's fair to say the panas have better reliability. I'd be interested in any direct comparisons between these 2 models in the 60ish inch size however.

I've been reading some very interesting, knowledgable and in depth reviews from Chad over at the AVS forums about the new Panasonics, he actually thinks quite highly of the 8 series Samsungs and they seem to be quite good.

Starting to reconsider..

Are these the same 8000 series plasmas which have peeling AR coatings as a design flaw? See here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1335353

Review of the Panasonic TX-P42VT30B Here which I assume is the same as we are getting in Oz.

Thanks, good review. The 10-point professional calibration is great to see, as well as the option to automate calibration, though the Calman software costs around $200. However it looks like the TV itself isn't that much better than the 2010 V/VT series in terms of image quality. Seems like blacks are slightly higher (possibly matching the post-rise blacks on the 2010's), there's floating whites (which calibration seems to minimise, but still a concern), and of course the cost is much higher. The GT30 sounds good, and although it also has the Professional 1/2 modes, I'm not clear on whether it has the full 10-point calibration options as well. If it does, then the GT30 is the best price/performance.

OK, a little confused here...

From reading a lot of the posts on here, I'm led to believe that this years ST30 panel is last years VT20 panel (a very good panel) so shouldn't it be a G13 not a G14.

Also, isn't the GT30 panel similar to the VT30 panel and therefore shouldn't it be a G14 ??

VT30 Series – G14 Full-HD 3D Neo Plasma

TH-P65VT30A – Available August 2011 RRP to be announced.

TH-P55VT30A – Available August 2011 RRP to be announced.

TH-P50VT30A – Available July 2011 RRP to be announced.

GT30 Series – G13 Full-HD 3D Neo Plasma

TH-P55GT30A – Available June 2011 RRP $3,299.

TH-P50GT30A – Available June 2011 RRP $2,699.

TH-P46GT30A – Available June 2011 RRP $2,399.

TH-P42GT30A – Available June 2011 RRP $1,949.

ST30 Series – G14 Full-HD 3D Neo Plasma

TH-P65ST30A – Available August 2011 RRP to be announced.

TH-P60ST30A – Available August 2011 RRP to be announced.

TH-P55ST30A – Available May 2011 RRP $2,599.

TH-P50ST30A – Available May 2011 RRP $1,999.

TH-P42ST30A – Available May 2011 RRP $1,599.

Reason I ask, is I'm seriously considering either a 65VT20 or 65ST30, if the ST30 is last years VT20 panel, to be honest I'd rather try and get a 65VT20 from Panasales and buy the additional 2 years of warranty.

Your thoughts

Regards

BB

I had an extended play round with a TH-P42ST30A today in 2d mode at least and i must say i can't find much wrong with it.Panna seem to have finally started to catch up in usability features cause it plays MKV up to 1080p for a start.The interface for playing them is a delight to use along with the menu for the rest of the tv and beats all the other brands on that score for mine.The blacks were great at least in the shop environment where the screen filter does a stunning job of stopping the shadow detail washing out.Didn't take much picture tweaking to get some 1080p BD rips looking natural and gorgeous.There was a little bit of judder/flicker (whatever you want to call it) with 24p and the smoother switched off but not really bad and nothing i couldn't live with.I tried all sorts of dark scenes and never managed to get a noticeable brightness fluctuation.Maybe it is subtle enough that you have to be in a dark room to notice it.If i had to pick one bad thing it's the screen bezel is very chunky and looks ugly compared to the Sammy's.If style is important maybe the GT30 and VT30 will be a bit sexier when switched off. :D For me a 55inch won't be big enough this year so that's the whole GT30 series scratched at the barrier. :huh: I tell you one thing for sure,the VT30 will have to knock my socks off before i pay the extra over a 60 or 65 inch ST30.

I had an extended play round with a TH-P42ST30A today in 2d mode at least and i must say i can't find much wrong with it.Panna seem to have finally started to catch up in usability features cause it plays MKV up to 1080p for a start.The interface for playing them is a delight to use along with the menu for the rest of the tv and beats all the other brands on that score for mine.The blacks were great at least in the shop environment where the screen filter does a stunning job of stopping the shadow detail washing out.Didn't take much picture tweaking to get some 1080p BD rips looking natural and gorgeous.There was a little bit of judder/flicker (whatever you want to call it) with 24p and the smoother switched off but not really bad and nothing i couldn't live with.I tried all sorts of dark scenes and never managed to get a noticeable brightness fluctuation.Maybe it is subtle enough that you have to be in a dark room to notice it.If i had to pick one bad thing it's the screen bezel is very chunky and looks ugly compared to the Sammy's.If style is important maybe the GT30 and VT30 will be a bit sexier when switched off. :D For me a 55inch won't be big enough this year so that's the whole GT30 series scratched at the barrier. :huh: I tell you one thing for sure,the VT30 will have to knock my socks off before i pay the extra over a 60 or 65 inch ST30.

My Dad managed to pre-order a TH-P42ST30A from Harvey Norman City West in WA for $1399 (RRP $1599) about a week and a bit ago.

Once he's got it paid for I'll put up a link to the receipt unless someone finds it cheaper in WA.

From reading a lot of the posts on here, I'm led to believe that this years ST30 panel is last years VT20 panel (a very good panel) so shouldn't it be a G13 not a G14.

Also, isn't the GT30 panel similar to the VT30 panel and therefore shouldn't it be a G14 ??

VT30 Series – G14 Full-HD 3D Neo Plasma

TH-P65VT30A – Available August 2011 RRP to be announced.

TH-P55VT30A – Available August 2011 RRP to be announced.

TH-P50VT30A – Available July 2011 RRP to be announced.

GT30 Series – G13 Full-HD 3D Neo Plasma

TH-P55GT30A – Available June 2011 RRP $3,299.

TH-P50GT30A – Available June 2011 RRP $2,699.

TH-P46GT30A – Available June 2011 RRP $2,399.

TH-P42GT30A – Available June 2011 RRP $1,949.

ST30 Series – G14 Full-HD 3D Neo Plasma

TH-P65ST30A – Available August 2011 RRP to be announced.

TH-P60ST30A – Available August 2011 RRP to be announced.

TH-P55ST30A – Available May 2011 RRP $2,599.

TH-P50ST30A – Available May 2011 RRP $1,999.

TH-P42ST30A – Available May 2011 RRP $1,599.

Reason I ask, is I'm seriously considering either a 65VT20 or 65ST30, if the ST30 is last years VT20 panel, to be honest I'd rather try and get a 65VT20 from Panasales and buy the additional 2 years of warranty.

Your thoughts

Regards

BB

Excuse my ignorance, but what are the differences between the VT and ST panels? I'm looking at getting a 65 inch.......

Thanks in advance.

I very much doubt that Panasonic are silly enough to make more than one 3D capable 65" panel, other than different screen filters the 65" 3D models should be the same.

I would say that this is wrong. Certainly when you look at the specs of each model on the Pana website, they mention G14 panels for all the ST30, GT30 and VT30 series. Feel confident that the ST is this year's model and not a regurgitation of last year's VT.

So basically, if the 60ST's retail at just over $3000, hopefully I wil be able to get one at $2000 - $2200 after some months.

It'll be about March next year when they become a runout model before you'll see that sort of price.

Andys.

Are these the same 8000 series plasmas which have peeling AR coatings as a design flaw? See here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1335353

Hmm yeah it is... I wasn't aware this was an issue. Might not be for the Aussie models (crosses fingers)

I'll be keeping an eye out for D8000's this weekend when we go TV shopping to see if the problem exists here too

I actually thought the ST30 Bezel looked really good and would be very happy with it.

Edited by brake

Had a quick look at the 42GT30A in goodguys today. Just arrived in store, was playing Avater bluray, picture as expected was very nice didn't get much time with it though. Bezel a bit narrower then ST with a thin silver border around the black.

The VT with all glass front would be a good looking unit (similar to the PV850 from a couple years ago I imagine), but I think the ST will do me...

The VT with all glass front would be a good looking unit (similar to the PV850 from a couple years ago I imagine), but I think the ST will do me...

... and similar to the V10's from 2 years back.

Andys.

Had a quick look at the 42GT30A in goodguys today. Just arrived in store, was playing Avater bluray, picture as expected was very nice didn't get much time with it though. Bezel a bit narrower then ST with a thin silver border around the black.

Glad they are trickling out. Now just to find a 46GT30A on display in Adelaide somewhere.....

I saw a 50 inch GT last night in Myer Brisbane CBD, they also had a 50 inch ST so I was able to walk back and forth to do some comparisons:

The bezel on the GT is thinner and better looking, it also sits close to the glass then the ST which protrudes out more. I would say the bezel of the GT has about a 5mm rise from the glass. Can't wait to see the VT if it's flush or just one piece of glass across the front.

They were playing Avatar on the GT and while the picture quality was as good as you can expect to be in such an environment, I noticed the motion blur effect of IFC/frame interpolation was absolutely ghastly. Really very very distracting and worse than on my 46 pz800a and my friends 50 pz850a - although I never tested that particular scene in Avatar on those 2 sets.

On a side note, I checked over all the Sammy's and didn't see any evidence of AR peel...

They were playing Avatar on the GT and while the picture quality was as good as you can expect to be in such an environment, I noticed the motion blur effect of IFC/frame interpolation was absolutely ghastly. Really very very distracting and worse than on my 46 pz800a and my friends 50 pz850a - although I never tested that particular scene in Avatar on those 2 sets.

I believe there is different levels on the new model so I presume it was on a high setting, turning it down may match the PZ800. It's called motion smoother now or something.

I believe there is different levels on the new model so I presume it was on a high setting, turning it down may match the PZ800. It's called motion smoother now or something.

If it's anything like the 2010 models you can simply turn motion interpolation off completely, both normal IFC and Smooth Film for 24p playback have separate levels including Off.