Sign in to follow this  
diesel

Panasonic 2011 Tv Line Up

Yeah it was VT20.... what are the specific differences between last years and this years?

Really worth considering then. This year's range has 2D to 3D coversion (though the new Panny BD players/recorders also have this option) and THX3D certification on the GT & VT models. That's about it (as far as I know). If you're on a tight budget the 58VT20 is probably the best option, then the 60ST30 would be the cheapest of the new larger Panny panels. I'd probably take the 58VT20 if I had the choice, though I read somewhere that the ST series will be using last years VT20 panels. Not sure if that is accurate though. Either would be a good panel, though the ST will cost you more. The 58VT20 at the price you mentioned would be pretty hard to pass up, but that's just me.

It's a shame that the ST series is the only one with a 60" model. 55 is too small & 65 too big! They would have been better off to drop the 55's over the 60's in the GT & VT series. A little disappointing.

Andys.

Owen I admit I do not know much about PQ on the technical side as you do, and not critical of your statement ............but one thing I saw in particular was that in darkened areas of the picture there was not much detail in the Samsung but in the Pana you could see individual leaves. The scene was a creek and flower and trees on the edges. I am not sure if this is an adjustment issue or not.

What you observed was a difference in gamma. The Samsung's at default settings have a slightingly high numerical gamma resulting in subdued shadow detail and a more punchy high contrast look. The Panasonic's on the other hand go the other way with a slightly low numerical gamma at the bottom end resulting in shadows being pushed up which can look better in a showroom. Correct gamma "to the industry standards" lies in between the two so neither is accurate out of the box

The Samsung's have 10 point gamma adjustment as do some of the Panasonic's as far as I know. This should allow you to get whatever "look" you prefer.

Also the skin tones on the Pana were so much more lifelike than the Samsung. I had no preference for either brand, I just went for the one that looked the best to me at the time.

Again this is nothing more then setup, after calibration the Samsung's have top class colour accuracy, at least as good as any calibrated Panasonic and typically better.

As is so often the case, dont judge a book by its cover. ;)

It's a shame that the ST series is the only one with a 60" model. 55 is too small & 65 too big!

Andys.

How do you figure that? At anything over 2.5 meters viewing distance 65" is too small.

How do you figure that? At anything over 2.5 meters viewing distance 65" is too small.

Just referring to Brake's preference. You'll get no disagreement from me!

Cheers,

Andys.

It's a shame that the ST series is the only one with a 60" model. 55 is too small & 65 too big! They would have been better off to drop the 55's over the 60's in the GT & VT series. A little disappointing.

Yeah, I would have thought a 60" in the GT series would have been 1 way to differentiate it from the VT series, and like you say, drop the 55" GT. I suppose whatever they do, they can't please everyone, but at least we are getting more options in screen sizes.

Also prices and release dates given on Panasonic blog Here

The 65" release dates are both August according to this list.

Prices and release dates

Click on the series name for product specifications.

VT30 Series – G14 Full-HD 3D Neo Plasma

TH-P65VT30A – Available August 2011 RRP to be announced.

TH-P55VT30A – Available August 2011 RRP to be announced.

TH-P50VT30A – Available July 2011 RRP to be announced.

GT30 Series – G13 Full-HD 3D Neo Plasma

TH-P55GT30A – Available June 2011 RRP $3,299.

TH-P50GT30A – Available June 2011 RRP $2,699.

TH-P46GT30A – Available June 2011 RRP $2,399.

TH-P42GT30A – Available June 2011 RRP $1,949.

ST30 Series – G14 Full-HD 3D Neo Plasma

TH-P65ST30A – Available August 2011 RRP to be announced.

TH-P60ST30A – Available August 2011 RRP to be announced.

TH-P55ST30A – Available May 2011 RRP $2,599.

TH-P50ST30A – Available May 2011 RRP $1,999.

TH-P42ST30A – Available May 2011 RRP $1,599.

U30 Series – G14 Full-HD Plasma Panel

TH-P50U30A – Available May 2011 RRP $1,399.

TH-P42U30A – Available May 2011 RRP $1,099.

X30 Series – G13 HD Plasma Panel

TH-P50X30A – Available May 2011 RRP $1,049.

TH-P42X30A – Available May 2011 RRP $849.

Hopefully Samsung and LG will be putting enough downward pressure on the +60" market for Panasonic to come in with some sharper pricing by then, rather than announcing prices now.

My guesses are;

ST60" - ~$3299

ST65" - ~$3899

VT55" - ~$3899

VT65" - ~$4699

:unsure:

Hopefully Samsung and LG will be putting enough downward pressure on the +60" market for Panasonic to come in with some sharper pricing by then, rather than announcing prices now.

My guesses are;

ST60" - ~$3299

ST65" - ~$3899

VT55" - ~$3899

VT65" - ~$4699

:unsure:

Saw the 55ST30 and it is much improved from last year. Definitely better blacks and bezel design that last year too.

About time Panasonic jumped on the Aesthetics train!

Saw the 55ST30 and it is much improved from last year. Definitely better blacks and bezel design that last year too.

Cheers,

Andys.

I really want a 58" or 60", Anything bigger is too big and anything smaller is too small. Fair enough they don't do 58" anymore, I just don't understand why they would only offer a 60" in the ST range? PRetty silly IMO and I'm hoping it's a mistake and they will release at least a 60" GT at least!

Hmm... Where did you see the ST? I might have to go and inspect it more thoroughly...

Cheers,

Andys.

I really want a 58" or 60", Anything bigger is too big and anything smaller is too small. Fair enough they don't do 58" anymore, I just don't understand why they would only offer a 60" in the ST range? PRetty silly IMO and I'm hoping it's a mistake and they will release at least a 60" GT at least!

Hmm... Where did you see the ST? I might have to go and inspect it more thoroughly...

I really want a 58" or 60", Anything bigger is too big and anything smaller is too small.

Why is anything over 60" too big, is there a pressing space limitation?

Edited by Owen

What you observed was a difference in gamma. The Samsung's at default settings have a slightingly high numerical gamma resulting in subdued shadow detail and a more punchy high contrast look. The Panasonic's on the other hand go the other way with a slightly low numerical gamma at the bottom end resulting in shadows being pushed up which can look better in a showroom. Correct gamma "to the industry standards" lies in between the two so neither is accurate out of the box

The Samsung's have 10 point gamma adjustment as do some of the Panasonic's as far as I know. This should allow you to get whatever "look" you prefer.

Again this is nothing more then setup, after calibration the Samsung's have top class colour accuracy, at least as good as any calibrated Panasonic and typically better.

As is so often the case, dont judge a book by its cover. ;)

Thanks for the info Owen, it would be good to see both TV's set up with same level of adjustments so a valid comparison could be made.

Really worth considering then. This year's range has 2D to 3D coversion (though the new Panny BD players/recorders also have this option) and THX3D certification on the GT & VT models. That's about it (as far as I know). If you're on a tight budget the 58VT20 is probably the best option, then the 60ST30 would be the cheapest of the new larger Panny panels. I'd probably take the 58VT20 if I had the choice, though I read somewhere that the ST series will be using last years VT20 panels. Not sure if that is accurate though. Either would be a good panel, though the ST will cost you more. The 58VT20 at the price you mentioned would be pretty hard to pass up, but that's just me.

Andys.

65 is never too big IMHO..........you will get used to it real quick. If I could buy a 75, 85 or 95 or 105 I would. I know they do not make them yet and cost is a factor but unless you got a real small room.

In some ways a 65 in a small room would be good as it would be like a 150 inch projector screen in a big room without the expense of a PJ. :D

Name of store and state might be handy.

What does it matter?

Obviously you would find it in any good guys or other retailers.

deleted

Edited by Owen

Why is anything over 60" too big, is there a pressing space limitation?

Sorry I should have said, thinking about it more, I guess the main reason is because of the price. 65" is just too damn expensive especially when you can get a fairly decent projector for < $1300. The 2nd reason is space limitations, it's for the living room which is quite small, even though we're moving soon, it's going to be to an apartment as well.

Very disappointed with Panasonic, I don't want to have to get Samsung :(

You can still pick up a runout 58" if you must have a Panasonic 58", but you need to move pretty quick.

What does it matter?

Obviously you would find it in any good guys or other retailers.

Not all stores get new models at the same time....

You can still pick up a runout 58" if you must have a Panasonic 58", but you need to move pretty quick.

gonna go out looking today, hopefully harvey norman and their 20% off will have some

Was in JB HiFi Macquarie Park this afternoon looking for any new Panasonic plasmas and saw the new 55"ST model. Really like the bezel of this years model compared to last years S series. Picture looked as good as any other considering the lighting conditions, but am really disappointed with the connections on the rear. They are all perpendicular (900) to the screen, so when I go to wall mount it, I will need a higher profile wall mount to ensure the cables have enough room to turn the 900 to head towards where I will feed them down behind the wall.

They had a couple of 58" S series and 1 display 58" VT brake.