Sign in to follow this  
diesel

Panasonic 2011 Tv Line Up

Differences between ST, GT and VT...<snip>

With such little difference between the models (except maybe screen filters - TBC) I hope their pricing won't be similar to last years VT20!

Dodgital Centre have prices up for all the screens - here

VT

65" - $4383

60" - $2860 (which oddly is $10 more than the 55"GT - WTF????)

ST

65" - $3693

So, $600 difference between the 65" panels....hmm, I think more people may make the jump to the VT over the ST.

3D is just a feature that is thrown in for free now as it costs almost nothing to implement, just about all 2011 models will have it whether you want it or not. All the best 2D displays are 3D as well so if you want the best 2D performance you don't have a choice.

Projectors are going the same way, I just purchased a JVC 3D projector because they no longer sell a 2D only model of comparable quality. The new 3D model costs the same as the 2D only model it replaced and comes with 3D glasses and transmitter thrown in.

I have no intention of using the 3D functionality and expect the glasses and transmitter will stay in their boxes until the projector is sold to its next owner.

A quick hands-on review of the ST30 range here - CNET

Dodgital Centre have prices up for all the screens - here

VT

65" - $4383

60" - $2860 (which oddly is $10 more than the 55"GT - WTF????)

ST

65" - $3693

So, $600 difference between the 65" panels....hmm, I think more people may make the jump to the VT over the ST.

The panasonic site says there is not 60" VT only a 60" ST: http://www.panasonic.com.au/Products/VIErA/TV+selector

but digital centre says "Panasonic TH-P60VT30A 60" Class VIERA ST30 Series Plasma" : http://www.digitalcentre.com.au/p/4352122/...ies-plasma.html

Obviously I'm missing something here? A VTST30?

A question: I guess the VT's are the top of the range, then the GT's then the ST's?

Would that mean the VT's are equivalent to the "th pz850a" and the GT's are evquivalent to the "th pz800a" (pana plasmas of 2 years ago!)

The Digital Centre have got it wrong. You won't know what you're buying! The range is ST, GT & VT. I would suggest what they've got labelled as a 60VT30a is actually an ST30, by going off the price. A good con job though.

Andys.

The Digital Centre have got it wrong. You won't know what you're buying! The range is ST, GT & VT. I would suggest what they've got labelled as a 60VT30a is actually an ST30, by going off the price. A good con job though.

Andys.

Hhah... thought so...

The panasonic site says there is not 60" VT only a 60" ST: http://www.panasonic.com.au/Products/VIErA/TV+selector

but digital centre says "Panasonic TH-P60VT30A 60" Class VIERA ST30 Series Plasma" : http://www.digitalcentre.com.au/p/4352122/...ies-plasma.html

Obviously I'm missing something here? A VTST30?

They have fixed their erroneous ways and updated their website to reflect it is a 60"ST30 for $2860....$10 more than the equivalent 55"GT30

Well, disappointingly, the 60" and 65" ST30 are now slated for release in August, moved from their May date, but surprisingly the 65" VT30 has been moved from August to July along with the rest of the VT range. Or is this likely to move out to September/October???

Unless you MUST have a new TV now, whats the rush? :huh:

A couple of months after release is a good time to buy.

Edited by Owen

Don't worry Owen, I'm not in any real rush. Would love to have it in time for the Rugby World Cup, but more than likely I'll be waiting for around Xmas.

I do want a new TV now! - or at least before le Tour de France :)

I have a 50" Panasonic, but reading your posts with interest, and if this news is true, "quel orrore" I might have to look at the Samsungs!

My $64 question is is it worth paying a $1000 more for the 64 D8000 over the 64D550?

Best wishes

N

Any word/pricing on the 42" plasmas?

TH-P42GT30A – Available June 2011 RRP $1,949.

TH-P42ST30A – Available May 2011 RRP $1,599.

TH-P42U30A – Available May 2011 RRP $1,099.

TH-P42X30A – Available May 2011 RRP $849.

TH-P42GT30A – Available June 2011 RRP $1,949.

Geez that's a bit much for a 42inch screen.

Geez that's a bit much for a 42inch screen.

Yeah remember they are the RRP though.

Yeah remember they are the RRP though.

Also remember that there will be no other brand with a similar product on the market. Pana are the only ones who do a full hd 42" plasma let alone a 3D premium model.

Like Owen says, by around Xmas time these will be down near $1100-$1200

by now I'm 99% certain I'm going to hold out and get another panasonic plasma, I had considered a Samsung by too many people have said the quality of them this year aren't that great.

I'm prepared to pay more for a much better TV.

The only question now is: Should Ipay less, get a run out model and have it now or wait and pay more for a new model when they come out?

I saw a panasonic 54 inch V series for $15XX in myer yesterday and the 58 inch V series for $2200, which is pretty much at the top of my budget.

Does anyone have any idea at all what the approxiamte ball park figures on the new models will be? going by past experience?

Which models are you interested in - the ST, GT or VT?

Some prices are on the website now.

Like Owen says, by around Xmas time these will be down near $1100-$1200

Well by that logic the THP42X30A series will be about $300, awesome.

by now I'm 99% certain I'm going to hold out and get another panasonic plasma, I had considered a Samsung by too many people have said the quality of them this year aren't that great.

I suggest you make your own judgment about both image and build quality.

I saw a panasonic 54 inch V series for $15XX in myer yesterday and the 58 inch V series for $2200, which is pretty much at the top of my budget.

If that's a 58 VT I would snap it up at that price. They're starting to become pretty hard to find. Considering there's been next to no improvement on this year's range from Panny I think you would be more than happy with a 2010 VT. Stretch the budget if you can to get the 58. You will appreciate the extra 4 inches!

Andys.

Which models are you interested in - the ST, GT or VT?

Some prices are on the website now.

A GT or VT depending on the differences. Can't stand the S series.. so ugly.

Where are you looking in the site? The only place I can see that has the prices is the TV selector and it says TBA still:

http://panasonic.com.au/Products/VIErA/TV%20selector

I suggest you make your own judgment about both image and build quality.

yeah that's true... I don't mind the look of the Sammy's, and the extra inch is always great, but that damn claw stand really grinds my gears. I really only want a 58 inch, and panasonics new lineup has either a 65 inch or a 55 inch (there is a 60 inch S series but I hate the S series)

Quite the dilemma... I wonder why they aren't doing 58 inch GT's or VT's this year?

If that's a 58 VT I would snap it up at that price. They're starting to become pretty hard to find. Considering there's been next to no improvement on this year's range from Panny I think you would be more than happy with a 2010 VT. Stretch the budget if you can to get the 58. You will appreciate the extra 4 inches!

Andys.

Yeah it was VT20.... what are the specific differences between last years and this years?

Actually a side by side evaluation tells you little unless you can do it in your home viewing environment and have had the chance to fully calibrate both displays. Obviously that's going to be almost impossible to arrange so I prefer to look for defects that I know I cant adjust out and that will be a problem in my viewing environment, side by side is not required with that method.

Owen I admit I do not know much about PQ on the technical side as you do, and not critical of your statement ............but one thing I saw in particular was that in darkened areas of the picture there was not much detail in the Samsung but in the Pana you could see individual leaves. The scene was a creek and flower and trees on the edges. I am not sure if this is an adjustment issue or not.

Also the skin tones on the Pana were so much more lifelike than the Samsung. I had no preference for either brand, I just went for the one that looked the best to me at the time.

I am not sure if this is an adjustment issue or not.
IMO, for the majority of viewers, either TV can be simply adjusted to provide a good image, factors such as cabling, sitting distance from TV, room lighting, number of viewers, cables, content source (DVD, Foxtel, SD, HD, BluRay, etc.) are all likely to affect the day to day viewing experience much more.

At the moment selling TV (brands) must be a bit like selling toothbrushes (What wacky idea can they come up with for product differentation). Its actually a great place to be as a consumer so long as you don't get too caught up in making a mistake and buying the 'wrong' TV. :)

Regards

Peter Gillespie