Sign in to follow this  
diesel

Panasonic 2011 Tv Line Up

I recall Sony once took that attitude and look at them now.:mellow: Nothing wrong with being slightly more expensive, but only slightly. No doubt bonuses are just around the corner and Panasonic usually do offer far better bonus packages. If they want more for their product it could well depend upon how good thoses bonuses are. It'll also be interesting to see the pricing difference between the start & end of the cycle.

Andys.

Is there a certain time of the year that the bonus's come in? I might hold off on getting my new TV if this is the case...

Here's the announcement, on their blog. http://blogs.panasonic.com.au/consumer/201...tainment-range/

COol, can't wait to see what we get and the prices

Some of the new models (& some prices) have been posted at the Panny website. Looks like we're paying on average around $1000 more than US consumers! That's a bit rich considering the value of our dollar.

Andys.

If Panasonic insist on charging significantly more than Samsung they are going to be in big trouble if they expect to sell much product.

Is there a certain time of the year that the bonus's come in? I might hold off on getting my new TV if this is the case...

From what I've heard there will be no more bonuses for quite some time as the companies say it's costing too much and the retailers are saying that they're losing sales by giving half the products away. I've asked a few salespeople in different stores and I've been told the same by everyone of them. So maybe the good times of buying a TV for $1000 and getting a free blu ray player, home theater or smaller tv are over.

The prices will drop off in about two months if Panasonic are true to form...

EDIT: After some browsing through the website, I am quite pleased that the 65" models will be released May (65ST) and July (VT30), so we won't have to wait until October/Nov as has been the case in previous years!

Edited by diesel

The prices will drop off in about two months if Panasonic are true to form...

EDIT: After some browsing through the website, I am quite pleased that the 65" models will be released May (65ST) and July (VT30), so we won't have to wait until October/Nov as has been the case in previous years!

No 58" model? Damn, I wanted a non 3D 58"... I would have to go the 60" instead... but no 60" VT or GT, only an ST which is ugly....

And nothing over 50" in non 3D...

Might go Samsung instead.

Edited by brake

No 58" model? Damn, I wanted a non 3D 58"... I would have to go the 60" instead... but no 60" VT or GT, only an ST which is ugly....

And nothing over 50" in non 3D...

Might go Samsung instead.

If you can go somewhere where both TV's are sitting side by side, it is a real help when choosing. :) When I had to choose between a 65 VT20A Panasonic and the 60 Samsung, I decided that I was going to put aside price and just be dictated by PQ as the ultimate decider.

I was luck to find them side by side at a HN store and did several trips and with some different people (including son and wife) and just said which one looks better in detail colour etc. Everyone and everytime all said the Pana. Some including myself liked the bezel better on the Samsung and it was thinner in profile. The Pana had a much bigger presence though. I had to pay $900 more for the Pana but everytime I watch it I know that as at the time the D was made I was getting the best PQ I and others could see.

Not pushing the Pana in anyway as PQ is in the eye of the beholder(although blacks were better, skintone more life like, and detail was there in shadow or dark scenes) just saying its great if you can see them side by side. To me made all the difference.

I for one will look at the VT30 to replace my older 2008 PZ700 50 inch in the family room.

Going to post a pic of my VT20A wall mounted sometime today in the setups thread.

Edited by bradp51

So, if I want a 65" Panasonic I have to go 3D.

Well, I don't want 3D and also 3D isn't much use to a family member who has lost the sight in one eye.

I'm in SE QLD so I'll have to hunt around for a run out model with 65" panel. I doubt many retailers stock them.

Anyone know why they continually push 3D? What are you mean't to watch?

Anyone know why they continually push 3D? What are you mean't to watch?
Um 3D Blu-Ray, FOXTEL 3D Channel which has movies and some sport, Games, occasional 3D material on FTA. You don't have to watch 3D but the 3D sets are better with 2D than the 2D only sets, so why wouldn't you pay the little extra? I don't think 3D is going to go away any time soon.

So, if I want a 65" Panasonic I have to go 3D.

Correct, but it still does 2D. I would say that by next year all but the 768p panels will be 3D

Differences between ST, GT and VT

VT

- pro ISF

- includes 1 x 3D glasses

- subwoofer

- 7kg heavier (I presume because of the 1 sheet glass design)

- WiFi adapter included

GT

- ISF claibration

- no 3D glasses

- only 2 speakers

- Wifi adapter included

ST

- No THX but 'True Cinema' picture setting

- No 3D glasses

- WiFi ready (no adapter included)

With such little difference between the models (except maybe screen filters - TBC) I hope their pricing won't be similar to last years VT20!

If you can go somewhere where both TV's are sitting side by side, it is a real help when choosing. :) When I had to choose between a 65 VT20A Panasonic and the 60 Samsung, I decided that I was going to put aside price and just be dictated by PQ as the ultimate decider.

I was luck to find them side by side at a HN store and did several trips and with some different people (including son and wife) and just said which one looks better in detail colour etc. Everyone and everytime all said the Pana. Some including myself liked the bezel better on the Samsung and it was thinner in profile. The Pana had a much bigger presence though. I had to pay $900 more for the Pana but everytime I watch it I know that as at the time the D was made I was getting the best PQ I and others could see.

Not pushing the Pana in anyway as PQ is in the eye of the beholder(although blacks were better, skintone more life like, and detail was there in shadow or dark scenes) just saying its great if you can see them side by side. To me made all the difference.

I for one will look at the VT30 to replace my older 2008 PZ700 50 inch in the family room.

Going to post a pic of my VT20A wall mounted sometime today in the setups thread.

Interesting. Which model Samsung was it?

And did you get the sales guy to plug the test material (I assume Blu-ray) straight to the TV via the same equipment (cables, player, disc etc) for each test? Or did you just go in and look at what was playing there at the time?

Edited by brake

You're not the only one. I recently saw this post on whirlpool where someone who happened to own both the Panasonic P50V20A and the Samsung PS50C7000 said exactly the same thing - basically the Panasonic PQ was noticeably better, as well as other factors as well.

The problem is that unfortunately most people see these TVs in isolation or with different settings in the stores, and under harsh lighting and with dynamic settings, much of the subtleties of the image quality differences are lost. If somehow you can manage to find the competing sets by Samsung and Panasonic next to or close to each other, and get them running similar settings from the same source, you should be able to see the difference. There's a reason why Panasonic can charge a premium over Samsung for their TVs.

Last year Samsung pretty much launched with a bundle.

I'm sure Panasonic will bundle something up during the Rugby World Cup around September as they are a Wallabies sponsor.

Are there any new blockbuster 3D movies about to come out on Bluray that they may have exclusive rights too?

Actually a side by side evaluation tells you little unless you can do it in your home viewing environment and have had the chance to fully calibrate both displays. Obviously that's going to be almost impossible to arrange so I prefer to look for defects that I know I cant adjust out and that will be a problem in my viewing environment, side by side is not required with that method.

You're not the only one. I recently saw this post on whirlpool where someone who happened to own both the Panasonic P50V20A and the Samsung PS50C7000 said exactly the same thing - basically the Panasonic PQ was noticeably better, as well as other factors as well.

One mans "better" is another mans "worse", its all very subjective. Once calibrated most good TV's look close to identical.

Comments like "The colours on the panasonic are so much more vibrant" tell me that the guy on Whirlpool does not like colour accuracy as the Samsung is already too "vibrant", no way "more vibrant" is a good thing IMHO.

The gamma responses of Panasonic and Samsung Plasma's are quite different, both are inaccurate out of the box but in opposite directions. One my prefer one kind of inaccurate over the other but that's personal preference not "better".

The real issue is can you get the "look" you want with the adjustments available.

Guest EZYHD

We have two TV's, one a Sony 40" EX500 LCD and the other a Panny 65" (V10) Plasma, the Sony picture is super sharp but the Panny is our favorite, softer picture seems more life like, its subjective as Owen says.

Of course picture quality is largely subjective. However for the average person the general comparison needs to be done between two TVs with similar settings out of the box, not calibrated sets. The reality is that few people will ever get their TVs professionally calibrated, or have the right tools to do it themselves. Therefore when the average punter buys a TV, the important thing is how it looks based on the settings they can easily adjust by eye. I assume the guy who's owned both the Samsung and the Panasonic TV had them long enough to have made some attempt to adjust the TV settings to get a pleasing result, and found it easier and more pleasing on the Panasonic. Indeed reading both professional reviews and general user reviews, I've rarely if ever seen anyone praise a Samsung PQ over the equivalent Panasonic PQ.

As I said, I think there is a very valid reason for Panasonic to be able to charge a premium for their product. Just as there was a very valid reason for Pioneer to charge a much heftier premium for their plasmas, before they got out of the plasma game. I hardly think the brand name 'Panasonic' by itself commands any major respect or brand premium all on its own. It just so happens that as a japanese company, Panasonic has an edge in terms of technology (much of which was bought from Pioneer), and the ethos of quality control, than a korean company.

C'mon Panasonic, get these out to the stores already so I can have a look!

Of course picture quality is largely subjective. However for the average person the general comparison needs to be done between two TVs with similar settings out of the box, not calibrated sets. The reality is that few people will ever get their TVs professionally calibrated, or have the right tools to do it themselves. Therefore when the average punter buys a TV, the important thing is how it looks based on the settings they can easily adjust by eye. I assume the guy who's owned both the Samsung and the Panasonic TV had them long enough to have made some attempt to adjust the TV settings to get a pleasing result, and found it easier and more pleasing on the Panasonic. Indeed reading both professional reviews and general user reviews, I've rarely if ever seen anyone praise a Samsung PQ over the equivalent Panasonic PQ.

As I said, I think there is a very valid reason for Panasonic to be able to charge a premium for their product. Just as there was a very valid reason for Pioneer to charge a much heftier premium for their plasmas, before they got out of the plasma game. I hardly think the brand name 'Panasonic' by itself commands any major respect or brand premium all on its own. It just so happens that as a japanese company, Panasonic has an edge in terms of technology (much of which was bought from Pioneer), and the ethos of quality control, than a korean company.

Its true most people will never "calibrate" their TV, in fact most seem happy with the default setup no matter how bad that may be. Those who are interested in picture quality will hopefully go to a bit more effort.

I am not aware of anyone who has both the new 2011 Samsung 64" and a new VT Panasonic 65" to compare, speculation on relative performance is just that, speculation at this point in time.

The main reason I would have chosen the previous model 65" Panasonic over the 63" Samsung was size, the C7000 Sammy had a noticeably better screen filter, much less flicker and posterization, which is a major hate of mine and pretty much a deal breaker.

Panasonic may have acquired Pioneers patients but so far have showed no sign of using them. So much for a supposed edge in "technology, where is it?

Since Samsung have closed the gap in size and Panasonic dont seem to have improved significantly this year it will be interesting to see how they compare.

I may have to choose between these two soon but its clear to me that the marketing departments of Panasonic and Samsung have sway over the engineering departments, performance takes a back seat to "features", styling and cost.

I am not aware of anyone who has both the new 2011 Samsung 64" and a new VT Panasonic 65" to compare, speculation on relative performance is just that, speculation at this point in time.

Chad B has just done a calibration of both of these, side by side. Results will be posted in the next few days over at AVS and HDJ probably. I'm looking forward to the comparo results. It will be very very close. I think the panapremium might just not be worth it this time around for many people unless they are brand loyal.

With how long it will be before the 65VT30 takes to get to Australia, they might lose a heap of sales.

Edited by gsxrboy

Thanks guys, I'm getting some very useful information.

Having stopped shopping for TV's five years ago I'm finding it difficult to adjust to the fact there are only two suppliers of plasma panels that I can choose from.

I'm not keen on the third option.

I can't complain about our 50" Panasonic which is still running on Persian Immortal's settings to prevent 'burn in.' Great HD picture too.

However I'd like a bigger panel so 65" inch is very appealing but I don't want 3D.

I read a post here claiming that Panasonic panels above 50" will only be avaiable in 3D.

If that is the case I'm left with Samsung. So long as they have a 64" 2D anyway.

Surely Samsung panels won't get nearly as good as Panasonic ones and stop there.

So, I'm keenly waiting on a review that says the big Samsung panel is very very good!

And I'm waiting for opinions because there are some very good judges of the quality of plasma panels here.

However I'd like a bigger panel so 65" inch is very appealing but I don't want 3D.

I read a post here claiming that Panasonic panels above 50" will only be avaiable in 3D.

If that is the case I'm left with Samsung. So long as they have a 64" 2D anyway.

Surely Samsung panels won't get nearly as good as Panasonic ones and stop there.

So, I'm keenly waiting on a review that says the big Samsung panel is very very good!

And I'm waiting for opinions because there are some very good judges of the quality of plasma panels here.

3D TVs are also 2D TVs, you just turn the 3D mode off. You would only use 3D mode for you guessed it 3D material.

3D TVs are also 2D TVs, you just turn the 3D mode off. You would only use 3D mode for you guessed it 3D material.

Well actually these models also do 2D->3D conversion, though it wouldn't be as good as proper 3D content.

But for L Wilce, think of them as 2D TVs that are capable of displaying 3D content.