Sign in to follow this  
diesel

Panasonic 2011 Tv Line Up

I do not think too many salesman go to many "training sessions"

On one occasion when I went into HN to ask about buying a Denon 3808A AVR and was told by the salesman that there was no such model

And when I bought a 3D TV was told by another HN guy that unless I bought the new Monster 1.4 hi speed 3D HDMI cable I would not be able to see a 3D movie on my new TV. Yeah right.

I know they are not all bad, but one day they sell cars the next day hifi equipment.

Sales people should just be honest if they do not know they should just say so instead of making up crap.

The lot at HN have no idea about HI-FI maybe they know about TV but not hi-fi. And the sale man should of know there is no such thing as HDMI 1.4 cable it called high Speed cables. and you can pick a High Speed cable up for $15 in big W.

Go into Sydney hi-fi or len Wallis if you want real help.

I forgot to mention, another potentially major issue with this year's Panasonics is that in the US it's been reported that THX mode comes with 1.9 gamma out of the box. This is visibly inaccurate and results in a washed out image. If we get Professional modes on our sets, it's not a major problem because in Professional mode (based on THX) you can just adjust the gamma yourself, but in THX mode if it's locked it means you're stuck with 1.9 gamma.

The lot at HN have no idea about HI-FI maybe they know about TV but not hi-fi.

I think you'll find the average HN salesman knows only a little about everything they sell, not just limited to hi-fi.

Examples:

1. When I bought an LG LST-4000 HD set top box, it took me a short amount of time to work out why the image on the TV was off-center. As I found by reading posts from knowledgeable members in this forum, it required a firmware update, and the use of a few presses of the coloured buttons to activate the mode which allows you to move the image and hence center it. Next time I was back in HN, I mentioned this to the salesman and he said "oh, so that's why all our LST-4000's are showing off-center images!". He was clearly happy enough to sell the STB to unsuspecting customers this way, but lazy enough not to find out why and how to fix it.

2. When I bought a Westinghouse fridge from HN last year (amazingly they actually had the best price, even compared to Appliances Online), I was curious about compressor noise. The saleswoman said "Oh these westinghouses now all have passive compressors that work quietly in the background all the time". Suffice it to say she outright lied (or had no clue), because of course most of the Westinghouse fridges have normal compressors which cycle on/off with noticeable noise.

3. Not in HN, but in JB Hifi, while looking at the V series Panasonics late last year, the salesman said "You know these are great quality because they're made in Japan". I casually mentioned that the P50V20A which I was looking at is actually made in Thailand. He said "Oh no, it's Japan". I asked him to look behind the TV, and sure enough, 'Made in Thailand'. He just smiled and went on about the TV's features.

Moral of the story: do not ever listen to a salesman. Do your research, go into a store, let their meaningless nonsense flow over you like a gentle breeze, negotiate for the best price and walk out with what you want. Imagine the salesman as a temporary impediment in the path to getting what you want :)

Edited by PersianImmortal

Want to know what a new Panasonic Viera would look like in your house - check out this app from Panasonic - cool!

Edited by diesel

I wonder if we will get any new services for VIERA Connect or be stuck with the same ones as last year's.

Well they have relaunched it from whatever it was called last year. It'll be full of US centric apps again, but I'm sure we'll get a couple more new ones. I think they're crazy for not just joining up with Apple or Google and trying to incorporate some of their SW

If Hulu launch in Australia, then maybe we will get access through VieraConnect

Edited by diesel

I do not think too many salesman go to many "training sessions"

On one occasion when I went into HN to ask about buying a Denon 3808A AVR and was told by the salesman that there was no such model

And when I bought a 3D TV was told by another HN guy that unless I bought the new Monster 1.4 hi speed 3D HDMI cable I would not be able to see a 3D movie on my new TV. Yeah right.

I know they are not all bad, but one day they sell cars the next day hifi equipment.

Sales people should just be honest if they do not know they should just say so instead of making up crap.

While in sales at one point I was going to a training session nearly once a week but I must admit I was one of the few who did.

As for that Denon model I thought the top model that HN sold was the AVR891 but I could be wrong but my point is that even though they sell Denon they may not sell every single model that Denon make. Then again he should have checked if the model existed before telling you otherwise.

As for the Monster comment, they are trained to sell that product but some HN stores are trained to sell Belkin which have cables that are just as expensive. To try and sell it as the only cable that would work though is stupid.

Yes they get salespeople from other sales environments but if you get someone who doesn't have the knowledge just politely ask for someone who does.

They should be honest because trust me if you say a product does something then the customer gets it home and they find out it doesn't do what you said it would do the pissed off customer and returned sale ain't worth it.

The lot at HN have no idea about HI-FI maybe they know about TV but not hi-fi. And the sale man should of know there is no such thing as HDMI 1.4 cable it called high Speed cables. and you can pick a High Speed cable up for $15 in big W.

Go into Sydney hi-fi or len Wallis if you want real help.

If you speak like you type they may not understand what you want when you go in and ask them. Your right about the 1.4 cables but as for the $15 Big W cable, I wouldn't waste my money on them. I wouldn't buy those cheap pieces of crap if you gave me the money. I don't exactly buy Monster Cables or high end Belkin stuff but I won't buy the cheapest junk I can find.

Logitech have released a 720p Skype capable camera for 2011 Panasonic Viera TVs.

Should be cheaper than the Panasonic OEM version knowing how Logitech price their products ;)

Would it even be worth getting one of these if the "floating/rising black/white/colours" problems persist into this generation?

I may get an S30, if it is released in Australia (I do not require 3D capability). Although, I still have a V20A, itself still under warranty. If I find the receipt, maybe The Good Guys would let me upgrade for a reduced price?

[/quo

Have a look at digital centre, it looks like we will be getting all three series for once! They have just listed ST, GT and VT 30 prices.

N

As for that Denon model I thought the top model that HN sold was the AVR891 but I could be wrong but my point is that even though they sell Denon they may not sell every single model that Denon make. Then again he should have checked if the model existed before telling you otherwise.

They should be honest because trust me if you say a product does something then the customer gets it home and they find out it doesn't do what you said it would do the pissed off customer and returned sale ain't worth it.

I doubt that many of the sales people even know that other models exist. Just as sales people at BBQs Galore (for example) don't realise that there are several models of Weber BBQs available only at Weber appointed "Master Dealers". It isn't entirely the sales persons fault but if they were "enthusiasts" they would probably have better product knowledge.

I doubt that many of the sales people even know that other models exist. Just as sales people at BBQs Galore (for example) don't realise that there are several models of Weber BBQs available only at Weber appointed "Master Dealers". It isn't entirely the sales persons fault but if they were "enthusiasts" they would probably have better product knowledge.

You don't need to be an enthusiast to be a salesperson, you have to know the products that you sell. Also salespeople have to memorize every product in their department which when you think of the variety a typical brown goods department has then you'd have to realize how difficult it can be. Then when an "enthusiast" walks in and expects them to know about all the products they don't sell, it's a bit much to expect.

Have a look at digital centre, it looks like we will be getting all three series for once! They have just listed ST, GT and VT 30 prices.

N

Speaking to one of the sales guys at JB he said they were expecting the 55" GT series in June. He didn't know about the VT or ST but assumed the VT would appear.

Hmmm... I'm in the market for a new TV soon...

In on thread for updates.

I'll be at Panasonic's 2011 Launch Party tomorrow so may have some more information regarding Australia and Pana's 2011 releases. Panasonic are valuing their product this year instead of trying to match Samsung pricing, and 3D will be incorporated into the higher end TVs, even at smaller sizes.

I'll be at Panasonic's 2011 Launch Party tomorrow so may have some more information regarding Australia and Pana's 2011 releases. Panasonic are valuing their product this year instead of trying to match Samsung pricing, and 3D will be incorporated into the higher end TVs, even at smaller sizes.

I recall Sony once took that attitude and look at them now.:mellow: Nothing wrong with being slightly more expensive, but only slightly. No doubt bonuses are just around the corner and Panasonic usually do offer far better bonus packages. If they want more for their product it could well depend upon how good thoses bonuses are. It'll also be interesting to see the pricing difference between the start & end of the cycle.

Andys.

I recall Sony once took that attitude and look at them now.:mellow: Nothing wrong with being slightly more expensive, but only slightly.

At some point the price war has to bottom out. There's no way you can keep creating decent HDTVs while also spiralling to the bottom in terms of price. LG is a known brand which creates products aggressively targeted at the lowest price point, and look at them.

I for one would absolutely love Panasonic to further distinguish itself from competitors by at least maintaining some semblance of quality. They don't have to do a Pioneer and wipe themselves out of the market, but they do need to opt out of this race to the bottom.

At some point the price war has to bottom out. There's no way you can keep creating decent HDTVs while also spiralling to the bottom in terms of price. LG is a known brand which creates products aggressively targeted at the lowest price point, and look at them.

I for one would absolutely love Panasonic to further distinguish itself from competitors by at least maintaining some semblance of quality. They don't have to do a Pioneer and wipe themselves out of the market, but they do need to opt out of this race to the bottom.

I think Panasonic already have the jump on quality over the other brands, and have done so for quite a some time, a reason why some of us are happy to pay a"little" extra for their product. If they came out with a Pioneer quality panel then some of us would be prepared to pay even more again. Probably best to wait & see exactly what the pricing will be before debating Panasonics economic future. :lol:

Cheers,

Andys.

There's some pricing on the Panny USA website for the GT & ST series. They appear more than reasonable. There's no reason we shouldn't see similar pricing here.

Panasonic USA GT & ST

Andys.

Panasonic have (since Pioneer left the market) maintained a slight premium to comparable Samsung TVs, but they can't afford to be too expensive given Samsung have a fairly good product. The tumbling prices we have seen over the last 4-5 years mean people see themselves more willing to pay less upfront because they know they can upgrade in a few years when the TV fails with a new TV with more features at a much reduced price.

IIRC Panasonic Australia has been one of the few Pana divisions that made them good money, so I am sure there'll be some Aussie execs with big bonuses tied to them continuing that trend. Hopefully the pricing won't be too bad....as long as we get a good range of models to choose from, there should be price points for everyone!

As far as I am concerned Panasonic have always delivered second rate TV's built to a price not up to the performance standard that is possible for the time.

Samsung are little different, but they have at least been ahead of Panasonic in several important aspects of performance yet a little behind in others. If only they had gazumped Panasonic's 65" with a 70" it would be no contest.

I have given up waiting for a "high end" flat panel and gone with a JVC projector.

I think Panasonic already have the jump on quality over the other brands, and have done so for quite a some time, a reason why some of us are happy to pay a"little" extra for their product. If they came out with a Pioneer quality panel then some of us would be prepared to pay even more again. Probably best to wait & see exactly what the pricing will be before debating Panasonics economic future. :lol:

Cheers,

Andys.

They're having a launch tonight in Melbourne, presumably the 2011 TVs, so maybe all will be revealed tomorrow.

I'm looking forward to any info the members here can provide about the new Panasonic TV's.

I belonged here years ago but for some reason I can't login so I had to rejoin.

Back then I got plenty of good advice on plasma TV's and I settled on a 50" panel which with set top box and 5yr warranty set me back $5500.

How prices have fallen!

Anyway the old set hasn't missed a beat and has proven to be a good buy.

Now however I'd like a bigger panel and a 65" seems the way to go.

I'm surprised there are so few suppliers of TV's now and it appears LG, Samsung and Panasonic are the last ones standing.

Is it true Samsung are right up there with Panasonic in picture quality and build?

I'm leaning towards Panasonic because of the excellent performance of my current TV but five years on how do the main suppliers rate?

Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks.

Any chance on asking them about what 3D players we are getting. We have the BDT110 just released, can u ask if we are getting the higher models, namely the 210 and 310

Its fairly neck and neck really. FWIW 2011 models look to not provide much PQ improvements over last year with more emphasis on features (IPTV, DLNA, PVR capability, 3D) etc. than better PQ. The forum tends to bounce between Panasonics and Samsungs, both very good products. Armed with some price info its pretty hard to go wrong ATM. Best bet is do some reading on recent threads and visit a store for some eyeballing.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Its fairly neck and neck really. FWIW 2011 models look to not provide much PQ improvements over last year with more emphasis on features (IPTV, DLNA, PVR capability, 3D) etc. than better PQ. The forum tends to bounce between Panasonics and Samsungs, both very good products. Armed with some price info its pretty hard to go wrong ATM. Best bet is do some reading on recent threads and visit a store for some eyeballing.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Here's the announcement, on their blog. http://blogs.panasonic.com.au/consumer/201...tainment-range/

I wonder if we will get any new services for VIERA Connect or be stuck with the same ones as last year's.

I read on google that the new service won't be backward compatible with viera connect.

What a joke hey, great support of existing customers!