Sign in to follow this  
diesel

Panasonic 2011 Tv Line Up

You can customise each preset but if you assign the same preset to more than one input both inputs will share the same customised settings.

Normally there is only a a need for a daytime setting and a night-time setting, customise one preset for each and switch as necessary.

I can confirm that my 50" ST30 allows me to select different settings for each input. I just set different settings in Cinema mode for the TV, HDMI1 and HDMI2 and changing between them still retains the changed settings.

There you go, problem solved.

Ok dilemma, been looking for a little while now with the view to purchase soon & had pretty much settled on the 60st30 although also considering 59d8000. Was just going to wait & see what deals pop up over coming weeks.

However have found a new in box 65vt20 & I'm very tempted...

So the issue, am debating whether the extra spend is worthwhile for the extra 5" & a vt panel over an st. Fiance is not convinced but might come around with some help & the price is pretty good...

Thoughts?

I was tossing up the 65"ST30 and VT20. I ended up getting the VT20 65" for just over $3k. The cheapest I could get on the ST30 was $3400, but that was before the drop in RRP.

The VT20 comes with a few more PQ options (eg THX and user adjustments RGB, gamma), and equal if not better screen filter, though I prefer the bezel on the ST30 over the brown tinge of the 65VT20, but I haven't had any buyer's remorse with the VT20.

Very very happy.

Is your one through Myer?

Perhaps I need to start checking prices of the 65st30 as a nice in between choice then, if anybody has any current prices please post them up. Had only been looking at 60" options due to the nice price point but appeal of a 65 is strong...

One I've found is at harvey norman, stumbled on it while chrissy shopping as really wasn't actively looking to buy just yet. Low $3k delivered with extra 2 years warranty was best I could get them today but its a bit more than the 60's so debating how worthwhile the outlay is.

If cheaper would it be possible to get a copy of your receipt?

cheers, Tim

Mine was pretty much non-negotiable 'run-out' pricing. I bought another 2 years EW just for a bit of piece of mind. Myer had two of them in stock still in boxes unopened.

Mrs diesel questioned the $1200 or so difference between the 65" vs a 60" model, but I insisted the extra 5" makes a big difference in the large room we were planning to put it in. She saw my point and agreed.

Judder and jitter are quite different, films low frame rate results in jitter, 3:2 pull down (60Hz display) results in judder.

Unless there is more temporal (time) information a higher display rate does not improve motion. The only way to get more temporal information is to film at a higher frame rate or fake it with interpolated frames. Displaying the same frame information many times in a row does not change it. In fact an infinite frame rate is the same as native 24fps, nothing changes for the entire frame period.

48Hz on a Plasma results in flicker as the picture fades between frames, 96Hz is used to avoid that. An LCD's picture normally does not fade or go black between frames so flicker is not possible no matter what the display frame rate..

You can customise each preset but if you assign the same preset to more than one input both inputs will share the same customised settings.

Normally there is only a a need for a daytime setting and a night-time setting, customise one preset for each and switch as necessary.

Jitter is the 24p native

Judder is pulldown 24p to 60hz

Got ya, thanks for that.

I can confirm that my 50" ST30 allows me to select different settings for each input. I just set different settings in Cinema mode for the TV, HDMI1 and HDMI2 and changing between them still retains the changed settings.

Thanks mate! Can you also confirm that the TV has a 96hz mode?

Thanks.

There you go, problem solved.

Thanks for the advice and being so patient. Appreciated!

Thanks mate! Can you also confirm that the TV has a 96hz mode?

I would if I could... but I don't know if there is an easy way to tell.

I can confirm that watching 24p content in 'Normal' mode has a noticeable flicker to it - while Cinema mode looks fine to my eyes. I'm not sure if there is a reason for this, or if 'Normal' mode is just horrible, as the picture also looks very grainy in this mode.

I would if I could... but I don't know if there is an easy way to tell.

I can confirm that watching 24p content in 'Normal' mode has a noticeable flicker to it - while Cinema mode looks fine to my eyes. I'm not sure if there is a reason for this, or if 'Normal' mode is just horrible, as the picture also looks very grainy in this mode.

I'm not sure myself to be honest with you, on my 3 year old Panasonic doesn't have the option either, probably because it's 24hz native and can't be changed.

It might be called 24p film mode or something like that.

Also, make sure your Blu-ray player is set to output the video in 24p as well for best results.

Also, make sure your Blu-ray player is set to output the video in 24p as well for best results.

It is, and from what I've read the TV should automatically switch to its 48/96Hz mode - so if its only 48Hz, I'm not bothered by it.

I was tossing up the 65"ST30 and VT20. I ended up getting the VT20 65" for just over $3k. The cheapest I could get on the ST30 was $3400, but that was before the drop in RRP.

The VT20 comes with a few more PQ options (eg THX and user adjustments RGB, gamma), and equal if not better screen filter, though I prefer the bezel on the ST30 over the brown tinge of the 65VT20, but I haven't had any buyer's remorse with the VT20.

Very very happy.

Is your one through Myer?

I have one of these Mick and its the best TV I ever had. I have wall mounted mine. That is a good deal too, I paid about $4400 for mine in OCT last year. Came with a great BD player and the Avatar 3D disc.

Edited by bradp51

Came with a great BD player and the Avatar 3D disc.

Yeah, I bought the Panasonic BDT110 and the Avatar 3D starter pack with two 3rd gen glasses.

I'm planning on wall mounting mine too, with a pivoting type as the seating position is off centre.

Edited by diesel

Not that I can afford this but does anyone know if Panasonic will be bringing the Panasonic VX300 into Australia? The review here on AVForums posted yesterday is an interesting read. Suggested price is a whopping £7,999 though!

Hi All,

My 14 month old 58" VT20A has packed it in (panel failure according to the repairer) and the extended wty insurer are currently talking with Panasonic to determine the equivalent model to replace it with. Panasonic are due to get back to them next week.

What do you guys reckon is the equivalent 2011 model? (assuming they can't find a new 58VT20 in stock somewhere)

My feeling is it has to be the 65VT30. You can't get a 58" VT series anymore, and I certainly wouldn't be happy with the smaller 55".

I'm thinking they'll probably just give me a store credit to the value of the 58VT20 ($4100) if they can't replace it for less.

-Steve

So, what's the best price to date, on a 65" VT30?

Cheers, GTO.

Hi All,

My 14 month old 58" VT20A has packed it in (panel failure according to the repairer) and the extended wty insurer are currently talking with Panasonic to determine the equivalent model to replace it with. Panasonic are due to get back to them next week.

What do you guys reckon is the equivalent 2011 model? (assuming they can't find a new 58VT20 in stock somewhere)

My feeling is it has to be the 65VT30. You can't get a 58" VT series anymore, and I certainly wouldn't be happy with the smaller 55".

I'm thinking they'll probably just give me a store credit to the value of the 58VT20 ($4100) if they can't replace it for less.

-Steve

Do these comparisons look correct?

58VT20

+ 58" screen size

+ Anti-reflective Louvre Filter

+ THX Certified

+ Subwoofer (2.1 Speakers)

+ 3D glasses supplied

VT30

+ THX Certified

+ Subwoofer (2.1 Speakers)

+ 3D glasses supplied

+ 58" or larger screen size available

GT30

+ THX Certified

- No subwoofer

- No 3D glasses

- 55" max screen available

ST30

+ 58" or larger screen size available

- No Anti-reflective Louvre Filter

- Not THX Certified

- No subwoofer

- No 3D glasses

So, what's the best price to date, on a 65" VT30?

~$3950-$4200 seems to be the going rate, though that was before the ST30 65" had a price reduction. The VT's RRP has stayed the same though.

Im interested to see how successful you will be with your argument.

I hope you can talk them into a vt3065 but i reckon they wont have it.

Let us know how you go, as it may help others ina similar situation.

I'd say they would go with a 60" ST30, you'd be lucky to get a 65" GT30 - Good luck though! and let us know how you go.

On another note, Does anyone have, or have seen, a nice cheap receipt for a 60" ST30"?

On another note, Does anyone have, or have seen, a nice cheap receipt for a 60" ST30"?

one for $1700 on whirlpool, clicky, few claiming low $1600's but no receipts yet.

Chasing one of these too

now one up for $1630 by steve_m, see towards bottom of page 42

one for $1700 on whirlpool, clicky, few claiming low $1600's but no receipts yet.

Chasing one of these too

thanks for that was gonna say if I find one i'll let you know... but:

now one up for $1630 by steve_m, see towards bottom of page 42

Thanks Lidz, champ

~$3950-$4200 seems to be the going rate, though that was before the ST30 65" had a price reduction. The VT's RRP has stayed the same though.

unexpectedly pulled the trigger on a 65VT30 today, $3850 at local HN

unexpectedly pulled the trigger on a 65VT30 today, $3850 at local HN

What's happening with the Pioneer?

What's happening with the Pioneer?

Its going upstairs into the 2ch system. Its too good to let go, even though its only a 768p panel. I just wanted the extra real estate in the HT system (projector not an option) and I didn't want to wait until any better offerings ater next year. Perhaps the Pana 85VX200 is a little out of the question price wise.

Screen comes tomorrow, so hopefully all good for the 2nd test.

btw, I have updated my sig to reflect the latest changes.