Sign in to follow this  
diesel

Panasonic 2011 Tv Line Up

The ST does not have 10 point RGB adjustment and it even says so on the "Lab Measurements" page. The 10 RGB settings mentioned on the "Settings" page for the ST are there in error, notice that they are identical the the VT, that cant be right.

Even without 10 point RGB -Gamma adjustment and no CMS the ST betters the GTs performance and even the VTs without custom adjustment, with service menu adjustment performance can be further improved.

For those with no intention to get their TV calibrated (calibration requires measurement not using settings you get off the net) there seems little point in anything above the ST.

Edited by Owen

The ST does not have 10 point RGB adjustment and it even says so on the "Lab Measurements" page. The 10 RGB settings mentioned on the "Settings" page for the ST are there in error, notice that they are identical the the VT, that cant be right.

Even without 10 point RGB -Gamma adjustment and no CMS the ST betters the GTs performance and even the VTs without custom adjustment, with service menu adjustment performance can be further improved.

For those with no intention to get their TV calibrated (calibration requires measurement not using settings you get off the net) there seems little point in anything above the ST.

Hmm, thanks Owen.

What do you mean by service menu adjustment?

I still don't quite understand how the ST's preset modes can better the GT's custom mode with some nice settings applied?

I'm just hesitant to purchase a TV without a custom settings, all the presets on my 2008 panasonic plasma are crappy.

For a start the GT has screwed up gamma that cant be fixed. The ST is very similar to the VT and much closer to the 2.2 standard than the GT.

The ST's best colour preset mode is better than the GT's best preset mode and after calibration the ST is still in front.

The "Presets" are just a starting point, you can adjust from there. Neither the ST or GT have 10 point gamma and colour adjustment so what "Custom mode" adjustments are you referring to?

Dnice, an expert on Panasonic Plasmas, Pro calibrator and company insider who posts on AVS forum says the ST can be tweaked in the service menu for best performance. Even without service menu adjustment the ST is better than the GT.

Edited by Owen

Has anyone got a confirmation of the FB issue fix being applied to the inventory of Australian TV's?It requires a board replacement and therefore a technician coming out to your home to switch out the dodgy board.

For a start the GT has screwed up gamma that cant be fixed. The ST is very similar to the VT and much closer to the 2.2 standard than the GT.

The ST's best colour preset mode is better than the GT's best preset mode and after calibration the ST is still in front.

The "Presets" are just a starting point, you can adjust from there. Neither the ST or GT have 10 point gamma and colour adjustment so what "Custom mode" adjustments are you referring to?

Oh, I was under the impression that the presets could not be tinkered with and you could only change them in custom mode. That's how it is for my TV. So does that mean that on the ST you can change settings like:

Colour

Brightness

Contrast

But it has to be in a preset?

Yes the "Presets" are fully adjustable, as is the case with the vast majority of TV's.

The reviews state which preset they used as a starting point to calibrate from and why.

Yes the "Presets" are fully adjustable, as is the case with the vast majority of TV's.

The reviews state which preset they used as a starting point to calibrate from and why.

Thanks mate, I should have just read the reviews :P - doing it now.

Brings me back to my original dilemma... although I will probably go with the ST

Edit:

Hmmm.... The ST review states:

Features

As Panasonic's entry-level 3D plasma, the ST30 is not THX-certified like the mid-level GT30 and flagship VT30. It has five Picture modes: Vivid, Standard, Cinema, Game, and Custom. Apart from the Custom mode, the settings for each mode are global and cannot be adjusted separately for each input.

So the ST does have custom... or maybe the AUS version doesn't? I'm going to head off in my lunch break and have a look.

Edited by brake

On another note, how good is the 96hz mode on the VT at reducing 24fps judder in comparison to the 24 or 48 modes of the ST and GT?

In the previous reviews there is no mention of if but he does say:

"Flicker was obvious and annoying on the ST30 in its 48Hz setting."

Now, I'm fine with judder on my telly which doesn't even have 48hz setting so unless the technology for this has gone backwards in the last few years, 48hz should be an improvement over older model Panasonics?

I'm thinking maybe the reviewer isn't use to it or something?

Can anyone comment?

Thanks

On another note, how good is the 96hz mode on the VT at reducing 24fps judder in comparison to the 24 or 48 modes of the ST and GT?

In the previous reviews there is no mention of if but he does say:

"Flicker was obvious and annoying on the ST30 in its 48Hz setting."

Now, I'm fine with judder on my telly which doesn't even have 48hz setting so unless the technology for this has gone backwards in the last few years, 48hz should be an improvement over older model Panasonics?

I'm thinking maybe the reviewer isn't use to it or something?

Can anyone comment?

Thanks

Judder is the result of displaying 24fps source at 60Hz as was done with older Panasonics and most older panels, 24 does not divide into 60 so you get an uneven frame sequence.

48, 96, 120 and 240Hz are divisible by 24 so no judder, however there will be low frame rate jitter as that is normal for film. Only frame interpolation will do anything about that, but its an artificial effect.

48Hz on a Plasma does cause flicker and if the ST cant fun at 96Hz for Bluray that would be a problem. Its something you need to investigate, but I would be very surprised if it cant run 96Hz.

Thanks mate, I should have just read the reviews :P - doing it now.

Brings me back to my original dilemma... although I will probably go with the ST

Edit:

Hmmm.... The ST review states:

So the ST does have custom... or maybe the AUS version doesn't? I'm going to head off in my lunch break and have a look.

With digital inputs there is no need to used different setting on a per input basis.

With digital inputs there is no need to used different setting on a per input basis.

Really???

Why then would a $1000 BD player produce a better picture than a $100 player. Sure the processing in the player would be a part of it, but also the final picture that they output would also be different hence you may need to calibrate per input?

Edited by diesel

Well it looks like I need to make up my mind if I want the 55GT or the 5 inch larger 60ST by tomorrow as JB is having a 20% off sale on selected tvs. They have the 55GT for $1996 less 20% ($400) = $1596

Hard to give this a miss, I wonder if they will give me 20% off the 60ST advertised currently for $1976. I guess I'll find out in the morning.

http://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-lcd-led-plasma...urday-tv-deals/

Edited by miagi

Well it looks like I need to make up my mind if I want the 55GT or the 5 inch larger 60ST by tomorrow as JB is having a 20% off sale on selected tvs. They have the 55GT for $1996 less 20% ($400) = $1596

Hard to give this a miss, I wonder if they will give me 20% off the 60ST advertised currently for $1976. I guess I'll find out in the morning.

http://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-lcd-led-plasma...urday-tv-deals/

Are you sure about that price on the 55GT???. The way I read it the up to 20% was only on the listed tv's. Still the 55GT even at $1996 a great price.

Really???

Why then would a $1000 BD player produce a better picture than a $100 player. Sure the processing in the player would be a part of it, but also the final picture that they output would also be different hence you may need to calibrate per input?

The decoder in the $1000 player may be better but the video output levels will be the same, black at level 16, white at level 235 and every level in between the same between players. Therefore Contrast, Brightness, Colour and Gamma adjustments on the TV will be that same.

Some players have picture adjustment controls, they should not be used.

Edited by Owen

Are you sure about that price on the 55GT???. The way I read it the up to 20% was only on the listed tv's. Still the 55GT even at $1996 a great price.

Yep according to the website its the correct picture and code for the 55GT.

Yep according to the website its the correct picture and code for the 55GT.

Wow. That is an amazing price!!!!

It says "Up to 20%"

My guess is the newer models will be 10% off...

Still I'll go check it out.

Let us know what you find Miyagi

It says "Up to 20%"

My guess is the newer models will be 10% off...

Still I'll go check it out.

Let us know what you find Miyagi

Couldn't find the page this morning on the net, it had been cut down to just a super saturday statement, went to the store and found the 55GT marked at $1697, said to the sales guy this tv was advertised on the net for $1596 last night with $400 off.

He looked bewildered and said no its $1697 (still an OK price mind you) then I asked if he had the 60ST on display, but no they didn't have it. I said thanks (for nothing) and left.

Got home and looked about , finally found another page showing the 55GT for $1596 but lost interest by then, JB will not be getting any of my money for a TV. Surely they should inform their staff and not mess people around.

http://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-lcd-led-plasma...a-tv-sku-68524/

Edited by miagi

Couldn't find the page this morning on the net, it had been cut down to just a super saturday statement, went to the store and found the 55GT marked at $1697, said to the sales guy this tv was advertised on the net for $1596 last night with $400 off.

He looked bewildered and said no its $1697 (still an OK price mind you) then I asked if he had the 60ST on display, but no they didn't have it. I said thanks (for nothing) and left.

Got home and looked about , finally found another page showing the 55GT for $1596 but lost interest by then, JB will not be getting any of my money for a TV. Surely they should inform their staff and not mess people around.

http://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-lcd-led-plasma...a-tv-sku-68524/

That's sucks....

I got offered a 60 at for 1700 but they wanted too much for warranty: 180 for two years and double that for 3 years

Went to one of the JB's here (Canberra) for a bit of a look, and they had the 55gt at $1996. Asked the sales guy and he said it was already reduced from $2699rrp even showed me on their computer-:)

He then showed me some of the other screens that were meant to have 20% off (older models).

Wasn't looking to buy anyway, but sale seem's all over the place if one store discounting that much more than another! Wish I had of known about the prices you guys were offered to mention to them!

Mind you that $1996 was still a few hundred better than I could find at some other stores.

Edited by wilsact

Went to one of the JB's here (Canberra) for a bit of a look, and they had the 55gt at $1996. Asked the sales guy and he said it was already reduced from $2699rrp even showed me on their computer-:)

He then showed me some of the other screens that were meant to have 20% off (older models).

Wasn't looking to buy anyway, but sale seem's all over the place if one store discounting that much more than another! Wish I had of known about the prices you guys were offered to mention to them!

Mind you that $1996 was still a few hundred better than I could find at some other stores.

Yeah I know what you mean, I bought a camera lens today and one store didn't even know the other one was doing 15% off today... He "took my word for it"

Judder is the result of displaying 24fps source at 60Hz as was done with older Panasonics and most older panels, 24 does not divide into 60 so you get an uneven frame sequence.

48, 96, 120 and 240Hz are divisible by 24 so no judder, however there will be low frame rate jitter as that is normal for film. Only frame interpolation will do anything about that, but its an artificial effect.

48Hz on a Plasma does cause flicker and if the ST cant fun at 96Hz for Bluray that would be a problem. Its something you need to investigate, but I would be very surprised if it cant run 96Hz.

Yeah that's what I meant: the judder that is inherent to 24 fps film/digital, not judder caused by displaying 24p material at 60hz.

When playing 24p material through a 24p capable TV and a 24p capable BD player, there is still judder which is not of the equipment's fault, as you know, I hated it at the start but I'm used to it now. Of course with frame interpolation OFF.

I was just wondering two things:

1) That the new Pana's are not worse at displaying 24p content than older models

2) That playing 24p content through a TV in 48hz or higher would result in 'smoother' playback, I'm probably wrong but I thought that's how they did it in the Cinemas: Play 24p material @ 48hz displaying every frame twice instead of once - not talking about frame interpolation at all here.

Do you mean that the settings on a particular input (HDMI 1 for example) will be remembered for all sources?

Because I was actually getting worried about the apparent lack of ability to change ANY settings on the ST30 resulting in us having to use all presets without being able to change anything at all like contract, colour brightness etc

As always, thanks Owen! =)

They have had them ticketed at that price at JB since Pana dropped the RRP and nobody is buying.The 59" D6900 Samsung is ticketed at the $1998 so no prizes for guessing what nine out of ten customers are buying.I saw $1888 at my local HN for the 55gt and i bet it lower when i go in next weekend.The stupid thing is that if Pana had pushed a 60" GT30 in Australia against all the 59's of Samsung they might have cleaned up but as it is they are dead in no mans land.

Yeah that's what I meant: the judder that is inherent to 24 fps film/digital, not judder caused by displaying 24p material at 60hz.

Judder and jitter are quite different, films low frame rate results in jitter, 3:2 pull down (60Hz display) results in judder.

2) That playing 24p content through a TV in 48hz or higher would result in 'smoother' playback, I'm probably wrong but I thought that's how they did it in the Cinemas: Play 24p material @ 48hz displaying every frame twice instead of once - not talking about frame interpolation at all here.

Unless there is more temporal (time) information a higher display rate does not improve motion. The only way to get more temporal information is to film at a higher frame rate or fake it with interpolated frames. Displaying the same frame information many times in a row does not change it. In fact an infinite frame rate is the same as native 24fps, nothing changes for the entire frame period.

48Hz on a Plasma results in flicker as the picture fades between frames, 96Hz is used to avoid that. An LCD's picture normally does not fade or go black between frames so flicker is not possible no matter what the display frame rate..

Do you mean that the settings on a particular input (HDMI 1 for example) will be remembered for all sources?

Because I was actually getting worried about the apparent lack of ability to change ANY settings on the ST30 resulting in us having to use all presets without being able to change anything at all like contract, colour brightness etc

You can customise each preset but if you assign the same preset to more than one input both inputs will share the same customised settings.

Normally there is only a a need for a daytime setting and a night-time setting, customise one preset for each and switch as necessary.

Edited by Owen