Sign in to follow this  
diesel

Panasonic 2011 Tv Line Up

All I've seen mentioned so far has been for food stuffs - seaweed, some vegetables etc. I can't imagine they would have customs at the ports Geiger countering container loads. Maybe just spot checks?

Agree

But you just have to wonder

Gday mate, the problem is that a second hand Plasma is not worth much and you will likely have to spend what you get to acquire a 52” LCD, which means you have the hassle or selling and buying without saving.

If the “old” Plasma has stood up to Wii abuse so far no reason to expect it will not continue to do so. If you don't have the contrast cranked up its unlikely to suffer any long term damage.

As for screen size for a dedicated HT room, I cant see how a 65” is even close to big enough unless there will be at maximum two people viewing. A 72” is much better but viewing distance should still be about 3 meters which means there is still only just enough room for two chairs without being too far off centre.

Really for anything other than a single viewer you need a BIG screen 120” plus, otherwise its just a TV not a “Home Theatre”. With relatively small screens most viewers are too far off centre for the sound or the picture to work properly.

You don't have to spend $8k on a projector and screen, these days you can get a decent setup for quite cheap. Its only when you want a high native contrast ratio, highly accurate colour and a good fixed screen (not roll up) the cost goes up very quickly.

I am with Owen on this one. I have a 65 inch VT20 which I am about to wall mount. It is a TV and it is great for watching movies. However my future plan is to have a PJ and screen as big as I can do for that room. Once you have seen a good PJ setup there is no comparison for Home thearte. I also agree with Owen you do not have to spend big on a PJ to get a great picture just for movies. Spend more on the speakers and sub to add to the effect.

So when are these new models actually coming to Australia?

I've just spoken with a Harvey Norman salesperson who says the new 65 inch won't arrive until August!!! He seemed pretty sure on this.................

It seems pretty ridiculous to me.

Most HN sales people I have ever spoken to really know the true story. Unless they are selling you Monster cables then they become electical engineers and physicists.

Most HN sales people I have ever spoken to really know the true story. Unless they are selling you Monster cables then they become electical engineers and physicists.

Most of these guys would have just went to a session that all of the companies would be having in the major cities over the past few weeks and would have got the information. I know it's hard to understand that people who work in the industry actually know what their on about that the people on these forums aren't experts about an industry they have never worked in before. Salespeople care about selling the stock they have, not the stock they don't have and is months away. I know when I was in sales I had the same attitude and it never affected my figures.

Also not that I own any or have ever sold any but if Monster Cables are such a scam like everyone on here says they are then how come they haven't been shut down and have been going for 30 years?? Aren't there laws for false advertising??

Also not that I own any or have ever sold any but if Monster Cables are such a scam like everyone on here says they are then how come they haven't been shut down and have been going for 30 years?? Aren't there laws for false advertising??

There are many, many reputable articles about the HDMI cable scam that Monster runs in particular. Here's just one:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38731070/ns/te...ch_and_gadgets/

It is most definitely a scam. How Monster gets away with it is unclear, I'm fairly sure they've probably invested a lot into examining the legal issues and making the wording sufficiently vague. Anyone who tries to sell you Monster cabling on the premise that it makes a genuine difference in image quality is lying to you.

Edited by PersianImmortal

There are many, many reputable articles about the HDMI cable scam that Monster runs in particular. Here's just one:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38731070/ns/te...ch_and_gadgets/

It is most definitely a scam. How Monster gets away with it is unclear, I'm fairly sure they've probably invested a lot into examining the legal issues and making the wording sufficiently vague. Anyone who tries to sell you Monster cabling on the premise that it makes a genuine difference in image quality is lying to you.

That article really stated nothing but opinion with no scientific data to back it up. They didn't test the cables thoroughly nor did they show any data like the error rate in the cables as the information passed through them. I'm sure there's a lot of marketing involved in these cables but a friend of mine got a 55" series 8 Samsung LED 3D and was using 2 philips HDMI cables from his 3D Sony blu ray player that were passing through his new Pioneer Amp and everytime we tried to watch a 3D movie the player kept locking up. He went to a HN bought two Monster HDMI cables, replaced his philips cables and there has never been a problem since. We looked at the picture closely and when we watched the Dark Knight on blu ray we thought there was less noise and it had a smoother picture but not by much.

As I've said before, I don't own them or have ever sold them but they worked where the $50 philips ones didn't and come with a lifetime replacement guarantee whereas the philips only had 12 months so there are benefits but stick to your $5 cables if you want to if they work. All I know is connecting equipment worth nearly $5000 with a $100 worth of cables didn't exactly yield results for my mate but the ones worth $300 did.

The article contains known scientific fact by explaining that refresh rate is not a function of the cable, but of the display. Kind of like an article stating that painting a car red doesn't make it go faster doesn't need to back that up with scientific data to prove it.

Back to the topic of the thread, and it's been confirmed that the 2011 Panasonics (at least the ST30) have floating blacks. Rising blacks can't be confirmed independently until reviewers run the TV for at least 1,000 - 2,000 hours, which even running a plasma 24/7 means roughly 6-10 weeks. For the record, 2011 Samsungs now also appear to have unstable/floating blacks as well.

Edited by PersianImmortal

For the record, 2011 Samsungs now also appear to have unstable/floating blacks as well.

A quick read seems this is fixed by turning off a "automatic brightness" setting, so at this stage it appears that the 2011 Samsung plasmas don't suffer. More interesting stuff will come out as more units hit the mainstream I guess on performance and other factors.

And the Panasonic GT's suffer from a new phenomena labelled floating brightness/whites.

Edited by re-boot

And the Panasonic GT's suffer from a new phenomena labelled floating brightness/whites.

The last thing I saw floating was not white nor black but brown......just dying to say this when the right opportunuty arose :D

Edited by Crist

Humm, floating brown level deserves it own thread. As if floating blacks and whites where not enough. :winky:

We might even see floating "glow-in-the-dark" green levels too if the panels ship from Japan... ;)

The last thing I saw floating was not white nor black but brown......just dying to say this when the right opportunuty arose :D

It's nothing that toilet tissue and the press of a button wont fix... :lol:

We might even see floating "glow-in-the-dark" green levels too if the panels ship from Japan... ;)

:D

Edited by Crist

It's nothing that toilet tissue and the press of a button wont fix... :lol:

:lol:

Humm, floating brown level deserves it own thread. As if floating blacks and whites where not enough. :winky:

Maybe a separate section dedicated to

TV and AV systems in wet areas (of the home) B)

Edited by Crist

Would it even be worth getting one of these if the "floating/rising black/white/colours" problems persist into this generation?

I may get an S30, if it is released in Australia (I do not require 3D capability). Although, I still have a V20A, itself still under warranty. If I find the receipt, maybe The Good Guys would let me upgrade for a reduced price?

Would it even be worth getting one of these if the "floating/rising black/white/colours" problems persist into this generation?

I may get an S30, if it is released in Australia (I do not require 3D capability). Although, I still have a V20A, itself still under warranty. If I find the receipt, maybe The Good Guys would let me upgrade for a reduced price?

Is this a joke .... Sorry must be , my bad.

Because what would they do with your tv ?? :unsure:

Is this a joke .... Sorry must be , my bad.

Because what would they do with your tv ?? :unsure:

Yes it is a big all-time joke! (<---/sarcasm)

Moving on...is there anything to suggest that these 2011 Panasonics would have similar/lesser/worse problems than the 2010 range? I still may buy one, but I just want to be prepared.

Have they fixed the black issues with the new Panasonic TV.

I year back after so many hrs of use the black started to look little bit gray and got a lot worse over time on all of there plasmas.

some info here

Panasonic.

Edited by Musical

Apparently the 2011 GT30 Panasonic has floating brightness issues instead of floating blacks - in other words white levels fluctuate in bright scenes. Floating blacks appear to be affecting the latest Samsungs, even with all the relevant settings disabled. The terminology is confusing, but essentially it just means that these newer plasmas show fluctuations of brightness in various types of scenes, either dark or bright. The bottom line is that this year is not one without a range of reported and confirmed issues if you're buying plasma.

Apparently the 2011 GT30 Panasonic has floating brightness issues instead of floating blacks - in other words white levels fluctuate in bright scenes. Floating blacks appear to be affecting the latest Samsungs, even with all the relevant settings disabled. The terminology is confusing, but essentially it just means that these newer plasmas show fluctuations of brightness in various types of scenes, either dark or bright. The bottom line is that this year is not one without a range of reported and confirmed issues if you're buying plasma.

Is your recommendation to not buy any of the current 2011 Panasonic range then? Floating brightness does not seem as good, if not worse, than floating blacks.

Most LCD's (especially the more expensive models) have floating blacks and whites due to dynamic back/edge lighting and in many models its cant be disabled. Its also much more dramatic than on Plasmas.

Floating or dynamic levels is a deliberately implemented "feature" so don't expect it to go away.

All Plasma have had floating white levels since the first model more than 10 years ago, its a limitation of the technology. However the float is in the opposite direction to LCD's with dynamic lighting.

Floating blacks on Plasma's is a relatively new "feature" and rising blacks a Panasonic only "feature".

Edited by Owen

The point is that this year GT30 owners in the US are complaining about visibly floating whites/fluctuating brightness. It's considered to be at an unusual level, rather than just the basic level inherent to the technology. Rising blacks can't be confirmed until this years models have had several thousand hours of running time, which obviously can't occur until several months after release.

In terms of floating blacks, I should note that I noticed these on my old 2005 PV500A Panasonic, even though it was never advertised with dynamic contrast. In other words it's been around for years. It has been confirmed by at least one owner of the 2011 Pana that it still occurs, so I wouldn't hold my breath on it being gone this year. Personally I have yet to notice it on my 2010 Pana, and it also depends on which picture mode you use and what your settings are as to how noticeable it will be.

Most of these guys would have just went to a session that all of the companies would be having in the major cities over the past few weeks and would have got the information. I know it's hard to understand that people who work in the industry actually know what their on about that the people on these forums aren't experts about an industry they have never worked in before. Salespeople care about selling the stock they have, not the stock they don't have and is months away. I know when I was in sales I had the same attitude and it never affected my figures.

I do not think too many salesman go to many "training sessions"

On one occasion when I went into HN to ask about buying a Denon 3808A AVR and was told by the salesman that there was no such model

And when I bought a 3D TV was told by another HN guy that unless I bought the new Monster 1.4 hi speed 3D HDMI cable I would not be able to see a 3D movie on my new TV. Yeah right.

I know they are not all bad, but one day they sell cars the next day hifi equipment.

Sales people should just be honest if they do not know they should just say so instead of making up crap.