Sign in to follow this  
diesel

Panasonic 2011 Tv Line Up

They made money on the warranty.

They made money on the warranty.

Of course they did Owen. But then again it's not too bad an 'insurance' policy, when you see what some of them try to charge for extended warranty.

Obviously businesses are there to make money. As long as people understand that extended warranties are typically high margin products and that needs to be considered when negotiating a price. $249 for a 3 year warranty extension on a $2299 product is steep so the price paid for the other products was higher than it seems.

Nice price on the BDT110, though I assume there's swings and roundabouts in there for the figure to add up to your agreed total. Nice overall package too!

Pretty much, as Owen said they would have clawed back a bit of profit on the warranty, but I'm happy enough with the overall package.

This is why I listed everything and didn't just say I got the TV for $2,299 which would be misleading.

I set foot into the store having already decided I wanted to purchase the extended warranty, so it was a matter of taking this into consideration whilst negotiating to cover it as best as I could with good prices on the items.

Obviously businesses are there to make money. As long as people understand that extended warranties are typically high margin products and that needs to be considered when negotiating a price. $249 for a 3 year warranty extension on a $2,299 product is steep so the price paid for the other products was higher than it seems.

As we all know, extended warranties are a hotly debated topic, which I don't really care to get into other than;

I know full well the statistical failure curve of electronic goods, if it doesn't fail early it's highly unlikely it'll fail until much later in its life. However as with anything based on statistics and probabilities there is also that very slight chance that it may fail during this period, in which case I very much doubt $250 is going to pay for much repairs! Extended warranties are genius of marketing for the retailers/insurers, for the most part they never having to cough up, but it plays on most peoples uncertainties (myself included :)

Note the $250 extended warranty also covers the BD Player as a "bundle", should this fail during the extended warranty period it'll be replaced new for old as it is under the $500 repair vs replace threshold.

Obviously businesses are there to make money. As long as people understand that extended warranties are typically high margin products and that needs to be considered when negotiating a price. $249 for a 3 year warranty extension on a $2299 product is steep so the price paid for the other products was higher than it seems.

I don't know what the going rates are in consumer electronics but 11% for 3 years or 3.6% per year of purchase cost would be very low in most maintenance busniesses I would have thought.. then again it depends if that's onsite or rtb and what the response times are etc.

10% of purchase price for a 4 year warranty extension (2.5% per year) is at the top end of what is reasonable, 8% is easily available without discounting.

10% of purchase price for a 4 year warranty extension (2.5% per year) is at the top end of what is reasonable, 8% is easily available without discounting.

I've always wondered about the reasonable prices for extended warranty and how to bargain them better, thanks for that.

$200 for a 4 year warranty on a Pana 60" ST30 sounds good :P

There was an official panasonic price drop yesterday and the 55vt30 now has a rpp of $3199

Panasonic website has finally been updated to reflect the price drops.

Looks like most models (except the 65" models) have received a trim.

I grabbed this from avforums:

The current deal on the GT30 (from Panasonic dealers) seems to be 2 pairs of 3rd gen glasses, BDP110 blu-ray player, Star Wars IV to VI, Avatar 3D and 5 year warranty for about £1300

I wonder if Aus panasonic might release something similar in the near future.

Geared up and ready to buy.

That would be awesome. TV, extra glasses and BD player is what I need.

Can't see it happening (if at all) before mid November in my opinion, given the recent price cuts.

Edited by diesel

I grabbed this from avforums:

The current deal on the GT30 (from Panasonic dealers) seems to be 2 pairs of 3rd gen glasses, BDP110 blu-ray player, Star Wars IV to VI, Avatar 3D and 5 year warranty for about £1300

I wonder if Aus panasonic might release something similar in the near future.

Geared up and ready to buy.

Damn, that would be awesome. Is that a 5 year panasonic warranty?

65" ST30A RRP has dropped to $3799

Should start seeing sub $3k street prices now....

Considering we used to be able to buy a 65" Panasonic for $2500 I should think so.

Still can not decide between a 55GT and a 60ST...

Why oh why did they not bring the GT in a 60" size...

Saw a 50" of each side by side again today and I swear the PQ on the GT looks better...

Weird though as I believed they had the same panel just different filters and what not (even though they both looked exactly the same when it came to reflecting the lights in the store)

Edited by brake

Still can not decide between a 55GT and a 60ST...

Why oh why did they not bring the GT in a 60" size...

Saw a 50" of each side by side again today and I swear the PQ on the GT looks better...

Weird though as I believed they had the same panel just different filters and what not (even though they both looked exactly the same when it came to reflecting the lights in the store)

I'm in the same boat as you but am most probably going to purchase the 60ST as the extra size is of greater importance to me than the GT's better looking bezel.

I had earlier dismissed the ST due to its boring looking bezel when compared to the GT, but after seeing the 55GT set up next to the 60ST

the extra size is too much to ignore.

I've gotten used to the ST's bezel and once wall mounted I think it will be fine.

A guy over at whirlpool purchased (from JB HIFI) the 60ST for $1950 with a total of 4 years warranty, there's been some others getting the Avatar 3d dvd included in the box and also the avatar 3d pack seperately which includes 3d dvd and 2 pairs of glasses.

The JB HIFI 10% off tv's ends today but I feel its just the beginning of some great price deals coming up to christmas. Well I hope so anyway.

Oh yeah silly of Panasonic not to release the 60GT30A here in australia. Would have been the killer tv this year if they had.

Edited by miagi

I'm in the same boat as you but am most probably going to purchase the 60ST as the extra size is of greater importance to me than the GT's better looking bezel.

I had earlier dismissed the ST due to its boring looking bezel when compared to the GT, but after seeing the 55GT set up next to the 60ST

the extra size is too much to ignore.

I've gotten used to the ST's bezel and once wall mounted I think it will be fine.

A guy over at whirlpool purchased (from JB HIFI) the 60ST for $1950 with a total of 4 years warranty, there's been some others getting the Avatar 3d dvd included in the box and also the avatar 3d pack seperately which includes 3d dvd and 2 pairs of glasses.

The JB HIFI 10% off tv's ends today but I feel its just the beginning of some great price deals coming up to christmas. Well I hope so anyway.

Oh yeah silly of Panasonic not to release the 60GT30A here in australia. Would have been the killer tv this year if they had.

Do you have a link to all this?

Cheers

Ahhh, I was already watching that thread, I just forgot about it because there are no email updates. Thanks.

I may as well post this here too:

I just called up panasonic AU and asked them about the avatar bonus, they said that they don't have any promotions running at the moment nor are any coming.

He basically said that it must have been left over from when the 2011 models first came out a few months ago, some of them had a free avatar blu-ray in the box. I seem to vaguely remember this too.

On another note, I also confirmed with him that the ST and the GT uses the same panel, he said they do except the GT is THX certified which means it would have a better video card for processing. Now, I though THX was only for audio, and was never too concerned about it. But apparently it's has an effect on video performance too? What exactly does a THX certified TV have over one that isn't?

Also available on eBay

I'm picking one up from JB HiFi tomorrow.

They apparently just got them in and they include the new 3rd gen 3D glasses.

Apparently the Australian ST30 does not have a custom setting mode. Is this true?

That means that we can only use the presets? Surely it can't be the case...

If it is then my dilemma about the 55GT vs the 60ST is solved...

Pretty sure the ST is fixed. Have a read of these reviews and see if there is any value in paying the extra for the GT

ST30 review

GT30 review

VT30 review

Wow, really? (Going to read reviews tonight)

That is HUGE. Why don't more people talk about it?

To those people (can't remember who) recommending the ST over the GT:

Did you know about this? Maybe you guys know a way around it or something? <- living without custom settings I mean, I thought the presets were crapola?

Edited by brake