Sign in to follow this  
diesel

Panasonic 2011 Tv Line Up

I've read this "louvre" can also limit your viewing angle vertically, similar to LCD horizontal viewing angles.

Yes looking though a Venetian blind (louver) limits vertical viewing angles.

So then the PQ between the 3 should be almost exactly the same, except for black levels and the intricate settings from the multi point calibration

Any black level difference on the VT is almost certainly due to a darker tint in the screen and other picture differences due to gamma and colour adjustment.

A Lumagen Radiance Mini 3D video processor used with an ST would give you more accurate colour and gamma as well as much better deinterlacing and scaling than you can get with a VT. If you dont feel the need for a CMS (Colour Managment System) and the ST is good enough to not need one IMHO, there are much cheaper video processors that would do much the same job. You wont get blacks quite as dark as the VT but in every other respect an ST with suitable video processor should outperform the VT.

The GT has the same blacks as the ST and has gamma problems so its a bit of an orphan.

Edited by Owen

an ST would give you more accurate colour and gamma

It is impossible to get accurate colour and gamma tracking on the ST without entering the service menu.All the panasonics this year have given the professional calibrators headaches because of the quirky behavior with regards to limits on average brightness level.The GT and VT series at least gives the home user access to calibration tools that ST owners don't have without a professional.

Edited by ekkieTHUMP

When you use a video processor to do the calibration for the ST30 its easy to get better colour and gamma accuracy then is possible with the VT30 on its own, and no service menu access is required. That's why I said this:

"A Lumagen Radiance Mini 3D video processor used with an ST would give you more accurate colour and gamma as well as much better deinterlacing and scaling than you can get with a VT."

When you use a video processor to do the calibration for the ST30 its easy to get better colour and gamma accuracy then is possible with the VT30 on its own, and no service menu access is required. That's why I said this:

"A Lumagen Radiance Mini 3D video processor used with an ST would give you more accurate colour and gamma as well as much better deinterlacing and scaling than you can get with a VT."

This is a Panasonic thread giving punters an indication of how they perform on there own.A high end video processor to correct the flaws of Panasonic's technicians is not what most people are thinking about when they buy a TV.The only price i could come up with on Google with the entry level 2 hdmi in 1 out Lumagen Radiance Mini 3D processor was 1,350 GBP in the UK.

Hang on man, think outside the square.

First of all the Lumagen Radiance Mini is not exactly "high end" and can be had for $1500 US or less, that makes an 65ST30 with Lumagen combination around the same price as the 65VT30.

There are also other processors like the DVDO iScan Duo which is on sale on Amazon at the moment for $999 US which does much the same job and there are possibly even cheaper options as well as used models at lower prices.

Don't forget the above mentioned video processors dont just allow correction of colour and gamma but also provide high quality deinterlacing, upscaling, noise reduction and sharpening, way above what Panasonic's internal processing offers, so even if the display - processor combination costs more than a VT30 you are getting something useful for the extra outlay. The improvident in SD performance alone is worth it.

Any black level difference on the VT is almost certainly due to a darker tint in the screen and other picture differences due to gamma and colour adjustment.

A Lumagen Radiance Mini 3D video processor used with an ST would give you more accurate colour and gamma as well as much better deinterlacing and scaling than you can get with a VT. If you dont feel the need for a CMS (Colour Managment System) and the ST is good enough to not need one IMHO, there are much cheaper video processors that would do much the same job. You wont get blacks quite as dark as the VT but in every other respect an ST with suitable video processor should outperform the VT.

The GT has the same blacks as the ST and has gamma problems so its a bit of an orphan.

This only applies to SD content though, right? I mean, for HD content and in particular, Blu-rays, the only real difference I would probably notices is the black levels? I have a 2008 Panaspnic TH-46pz800 and would be extremely happy if the ST30 can match the PQ I get on that. I have no fancy calibration done, it's all just settings changed in the menu like Colour, Contrast, brightness etc and I can not fault the picture at all.

And the ST doesn't have the gamma problems? Assuming Panasonic does fix the fluctuating brightness issue with a firmware update, the ST might be the one I've been searching for.

Jeez I'm such a newb :P - thank god for you blokes!

It is impossible to get accurate colour and gamma tracking on the ST without entering the service menu.All the panasonics this year have given the professional calibrators headaches because of the quirky behavior with regards to limits on average brightness level.The GT and VT series at least gives the home user access to calibration tools that ST owners don't have without a professional.

I don't have these options now on my '08 46" 800 so I doubt I will be missing anything. As long as I can turn off that crap "Intelligent" Frame Creation/interpolation gimmick and adjust the basic settings I will be very happy. Ignorance is bliss sometimes!

I asked Panasonic wether the vt used the same panel as the gt/st models,this was their reply

Thank you for taking the time to contact Panasonic Australia with your email.

The panels used for these televisions are essentially different. The main differences are the panel phosphor composition and the glass filter coatings.

So the VT panel is different to the gt/st panel.

As a owner of an older plasma, I'm having a hard time believing these models have PQ issues we should be concerned about other than the floating this or that, but in terms of handling a DVD or HD, I see no reason to think the U/ST models wouldn't be excellent.

JB are selling the 50in 1080p for $850 FFS.

Hang on man, think outside the square.

First of all the Lumagen Radiance Mini is not exactly "high end" and can be had for $1500 US or less, that makes an 65ST30 with Lumagen combination around the same price as the 65VT30.

There are also other processors like the DVDO iScan Duo which is on sale on Amazon at the moment for $999 US which does much the same job and there are possibly even cheaper options as well as used models at lower prices.

Don't forget the above mentioned video processors dont just allow correction of colour and gamma but also provide high quality deinterlacing, upscaling, noise reduction and sharpening, way above what Panasonic's internal processing offers, so even if the display - processor combination costs more than a VT30 you are getting something useful for the extra outlay. The improvident in SD performance alone is worth it.

I understand the logic of it,i think i prefer to calibrate the display itself.Yes i agree if you watch a lot of SD content the superior deinterlacing is a good thing.I however watch almost no SD content so it's not an issue for me.The Panasonic's display 720P and 1080P perfectly well.As for the GT being an orphan don't think so.To me it's the best looking TV on the market and it's ticketed in the stores way below it's retail price.To me the GT30 will hit a sweet spot by November of being the best all round value for price to performance TV.

I understand the logic of it,i think i prefer to calibrate the display itself.Yes i agree if you watch a lot of SD content the superior deinterlacing is a good thing.I however watch almost no SD content so it's not an issue for me.The Panasonic's display 720P and 1080P perfectly well.As for the GT being an orphan don't think so.To me it's the best looking TV on the market and it's ticketed in the stores way below it's retail price.To me the GT30 will hit a sweet spot by November of being the best all round value for price to performance TV.

Agreed mate. Think the GT series looks awesome, and performs very well. My parents are very happy with both of theirs!

I've got a 51D450 arriving later this week and will find out for sure then what is going on with a 576i signal over HDMI.

Just a follow up to this as I received the TV a few days ago.

-SD via internal tuner is lowpass filtered

-SD via HDMI is lowpass filtered

-SD via component video is NOT lowpass filtered

After some googling it seems the Samsung 4/5 series use an MStar processor which is the culprit for lowpass filtering of SD over HDMI, whereas the 6/7/8 series use the Valencia processor which doesn't lowpass SD over HDMI, but does appear to lowpass the internal tuner.

So you think the free to air stuff or Foxtel HD stuff are really that great ? To me the deinterlacing/upscaling capability of TV panels are nothing compare to a dedicated scaler. Scaler like Lumagen not only will improved the overall viewing experience of SD but also HD stuff on a 1080p display.

Apart from deinterlacing/upscaling CMS on these scalers will allow fine tuning of both primary and secondary colours and gamma correction. I don't have gamma correction on my scaler at moment or cms on my TV and projector but I was able to tweak the gamma curve to close to 2.2 and understand the important of getting the gamma tracking close to 2.2. I know these scalers are not for everyone but until you actually live with one or see one you won't realize its overall improvement.

This only applies to SD content though, right? I mean, for HD content and in particular, Blu-rays, the only real difference I would probably notices is the black levels? I have a 2008 Panaspnic TH-46pz800 and would be extremely happy if the ST30 can match the PQ I get on that. I have no fancy calibration done, it's all just settings changed in the menu like Colour, Contrast, brightness etc and I can not fault the picture at all.

An ST-Lumagen combination will have more accurate colour and gamma than a VT with SD and HD. The VT will have a lower black level in a dark room but its still a long way from true black, its just a darker shade of grey.

And the ST doesn't have the gamma problems? Assuming Panasonic does fix the fluctuating brightness issue with a firmware update, the ST might be the one I've been searching for.

A calibrated ST has more accurate gamma than a calibrated GT, it seems illogical but that's apparently the way it is.

All Plasmas have fluctuating brightness, the current Panasonic's are just worse than has been the norm. A firmware alteration may make it less obvious and get closer to the performance of older Panasonic's but it can never remove the fluctuations. Average picture level limiting is a fact of life with Plasma.

Edited by Owen

I asked Panasonic wether the vt used the same panel as the gt/st models,this was their reply

So the VT panel is different to the gt/st panel.

And you believe that?

The front glass tint and panel drive may vary but if the actual panels are different Panasonic deserve to loose money. A separate production run for a difference VT panel would never be viable for the volume and price.

An ST-Lumagen combination will have more accurate colour and gamma than a VT with SD and HD. The VT will have a lower black level in a dark room but its still a long way from true black, its just a darker shade of grey.

A calibrated ST has more accurate gamma than a calibrated GT, it seems illogical but that's apparently the way it is.

All Plasmas have fluctuating brightness, the current Panasonic's are just worse than has been the norm. A firmware alteration may make it less obvious and get closer to the performance of older Panasonic's but it can never remove the fluctuations. Average picture level limiting is a fact of like with Plasma.

Oh ok thanks for that. I don't think it will be much of a concern to me. I'm really happy with my old model so my hopes are that it can at least keep up with that.

Although, I did see a GT30 and an ST30 side by side yesterday playing the same content and the GT30 looked quite a bit better: Blacker blacks and more vibrant colours and looked SLIGHTLY sharper too. Could be just the settings though, as the difference were quite noticeable that even the wife - who doesn't normally care for this - noticed the difference.

When I saw the ST30, GT30 next to each other in a relatively bright store environmnet they looked pretty much identical for black level, colour and sharpness. In a double blind test I would not be able to pick which was which. In a dark environmnet there may be a difference in black level but I doubt it, and any difference in colour and sharpness is due to adjustment.

An ST with decent video processor is still going to outperform a GT.

If you want the best setup a VT for the lowest black levels and a video processor to get the most accurate colour and gamma as well as superior deinterlacing, scaling, noise reduction and sharpening.

Owen, one point I just can't get through my head is that though a video processor improves these things, wouldn't they just be nullified once they get to the panel? That is, wouldn't the panel retreat the incoming picture to it's limitations?

And you believe that?

The front glass tint and panel drive may vary but if the actual panels are different Panasonic deserve to loose money. A separate production run for a difference VT panel would never be viable for the volume and price.

Why would they lie?

perhaps its a case of the Vt having a new panel which will trickle down through the range in following model ranges in years to come. Seems quite feasible to me.

perhaps its a case of the Vt having a new panel which will trickle down through the range in following model ranges in years to come. Seems quite feasible to me.

My only question about this train of thought is that each year they have new generation of panels - eg current ST/GT/VT are 14th Generation panels (G14 Full HD 3D Neo Plasma Panel). Last year they were 13th generation panels...

Has anyone got any updated good prices for the 55VT30?

After not having much luck earlier this month with JB-Hifi (only wanting to knock $200 off RRP for cash) I've restarted my bargain hunting this morning, got offered $2,750, which appears to be the best price I've heard of so far.. but not sure if I should expect a little more after the recent Panasonic RRP reductions, thoughts anyone?

There was an official panasonic price drop yesterday and the 55vt30 now has a rpp of $3199

so try again and see how you go mate

Unless you simply cannot accommodate a 64"-65" why even consider a 60"?

+1

There was an official panasonic price drop yesterday and the 55vt30 now has a rpp of $3199

Was it just this TV with reduced RRP or all their TVs?

Their website still lists the old RRPs...

Any changes to the 65" ST or 65" VT RRP?

Ahh great, thanks, just the type of info I was looking for!

I wasn't aware of yesterdays price drop.. last drop I was aware of was the drop to $3,499.. I'll push the sales guy a bit more $2,750 was really without even any pushing at all, his first price after asking what was the best price he could do without further haggling. So still could have wiggle room I'd say, especially in light of these drops.