Sign in to follow this  
diesel

Panasonic 2011 Tv Line Up

No FB that I have ever seen from November last year. Best TV I ever had and leaves my 2008 model for dead. Still have that one too for comparison.

Everyone that walks into my house and sees it says they want one.. VT20A 65 that is. :D

I think that if you really look hard to see a fault you will see one no matter what TV set you own.

Like I said I will wait till the KURO killer (not equal) is made by Panasonic. It may be a very long wait but I know it will happen. Also it has to be greater than 65" :unsure:

probably 4000p :) and yes 3d and imagine turning up at the nursing home with a set that big. In the mean time I will stick with my 65vt20.

Edited by Crist

I'm considering either the 65GT30 or 65ST30 this time next year when they are cheap as a dedicated HT screen instead of a Projector.....65GT30 already looks like it isn't that far off a VT30, so really looking at this years S20 and how good that is, I wonder if the ST30 will be close in comparison to this years VT20.

Any owners of VT20's or V10's or anyone also researching the GT30 or ST30 care to comment ?

Thanks BB

PS. my 58 Sammy would be replaced with a second hand 50" or 52" LCD for daily Foxtel and Wii useage.

Or if we will get the ST30 at all...

I'm considering either the 65GT30 or 65ST30 this time next year when they are cheap as a dedicated HT screen instead of a Projector.....65GT30 already looks like it isn't that far off a VT30, so really looking at this years S20 and how good that is, I wonder if the ST30 will be close in comparison to this years VT20.

Any owners of VT20's or V10's or anyone also researching the GT30 or ST30 care to comment ?

Thanks BB

PS. my 58 Sammy would be replaced with a second hand 50" or 52" LCD for daily Foxtel and Wii useage.

Last time I looked a "good" projector and screen cost around double the current price of the 65" VT Plasma. You get what you pay for.

Why would you get rid of a 58" and replace it with a 50"-52"????? :o

Or if we will get the ST30 at all...

or thr gt30.

I personally believe it will be the vt30 for OZ and that is it.

I'm hoping that we'll get a bigger choice than that. IIRC the current range had 5 models across it (X, U, S, V, VT).

Last time I looked a "good" projector and screen cost around double the current price of the 65" VT Plasma. You get what you pay for.

Why would you get rid of a 58" and replace it with a 50"-52"????? :o

-

Hi Owen,

The 58 isn't big enough for a dedicated HT room, so selling the 58 to part finance the 65 for the HT room.

As the kids (despite many times being told) keep walking away from the old plasma leaving the Wii on in pause mode for hours, I would pick up a 50 - 55 LCD or LED for Foxtel and Wii/PS3 use.

I ran 65inches of tape measure across the 58 Sammy last night and am wondering if even 65inches of screen realestate is going to be enough, maybe 72 - 75 inches is where I need to be for HT room.....but like you say I'm looking at twice the price of a 65GT30 to finance a projector and screen....hmmmmmmmm LG 72 anyone..LOL.

BB

-

Hi Owen,

The 58 isn't big enough for a dedicated HT room, so selling the 58 to part finance the 65 for the HT room.

As the kids (despite many times being told) keep walking away from the old plasma leaving the Wii on in pause mode for hours, I would pick up a 50 - 55 LCD or LED for Foxtel and Wii/PS3 use.

I ran 65inches of tape measure across the 58 Sammy last night and am wondering if even 65inches of screen realestate is going to be enough, maybe 72 - 75 inches is where I need to be for HT room.....but like you say I'm looking at twice the price of a 65GT30 to finance a projector and screen....hmmmmmmmm LG 72 anyone..LOL.

BB

Gday mate, the problem is that a second hand Plasma is not worth much and you will likely have to spend what you get to acquire a 52” LCD, which means you have the hassle or selling and buying without saving.

If the “old” Plasma has stood up to Wii abuse so far no reason to expect it will not continue to do so. If you don't have the contrast cranked up its unlikely to suffer any long term damage.

As for screen size for a dedicated HT room, I cant see how a 65” is even close to big enough unless there will be at maximum two people viewing. A 72” is much better but viewing distance should still be about 3 meters which means there is still only just enough room for two chairs without being too far off centre.

Really for anything other than a single viewer you need a BIG screen 120” plus, otherwise its just a TV not a “Home Theatre”. With relatively small screens most viewers are too far off centre for the sound or the picture to work properly.

You don't have to spend $8k on a projector and screen, these days you can get a decent setup for quite cheap. Its only when you want a high native contrast ratio, highly accurate colour and a good fixed screen (not roll up) the cost goes up very quickly.

-

Are the Australian versions based on U.S or Euro specs ???

BB

Know where in the “specs” does it state how well the display works.

Forget specs and look at the picture.

You don't have to spend $8k on a projector and screen, these days you can get a decent setup for quite cheap. Its only when you want a high native contrast ratio, highly accurate colour and a good fixed screen (not roll up) the cost goes up very quickly.

On the topic of projectors I was in AV2 (Dennis White AV at Unley) yesterday and had a peek at the new 3d JVC projector (entry model).

I left the store in awe. JUst how har that projectors have advanced since my purchase 3 years ago. The contrast was a real telling point. It looked like I was watching

a 96" plasma. Colours were vibrant and the dark scenes were exceptional with a great reproduction of black to my eyes. Picture sharpness and clarity was outstanding.

Remembering this is the base model I have read reviews by Projector enthusiastic Joerod over on AVS and the flagship model apparantly is scales above what I saw today.

Seriously I will be replacing my PJ in the next few years and if this is anything to go by the days of saying PJ lack the contrast ratio will be a thing of the past.

pS I was watching 2d material whilst experiencing this.

So when are these new models actually coming to Australia?

I've just spoken with a Harvey Norman salesperson who says the new 65 inch won't arrive until August!!! He seemed pretty sure on this.................

It seems pretty ridiculous to me.

The person I was dealing with at Panasonic for a recent warranty claim said the 2011 equivalent to the V20A will be out late May at the earliest. A JB Hifi guy I spoke to the next day said that was actually quite optimistic, and it would likely be longer before we see them in stores.

In other words middle of the year for the mid-high end models is actually a best-case scenario.

The person I was dealing with at Panasonic for a recent warranty claim said the 2011 equivalent to the V20A will be out late May at the earliest. A JB Hifi guy I spoke to the next day said that was actually quite optimistic, and it would likely be longer before we see them in stores.

In other words middle of the year for the mid-high end models is actually a best-case scenario.

As is the case every year :)

So Panasonic are happy to have a window of 4-5 months of the year where customers are unable to purchase a Panasonic plasma? Terrible planning...........terrible.

I get the impression this year there have been additional delays because of the quake, and yes, I agree it's very poor planning to have such a large gap between end of line for one model year, and the release of the next model year. This was demonstrated to me clearly by the fact that trying to get a warranty replacement for my P50V20A at this time of year was extremely hard - Panasonic couldn't source a new TV in a reasonable time-frame. Combined with the incredibly good deals on current model Panasonics, this means a real shortage (or total lack) of stock in some areas.

I've just spoken with a Harvey Norman salesperson who says the new 65 inch won't arrive until August!!! He seemed pretty sure on this.................

It seems pretty ridiculous to me.

As mentioned typically the volume models (42"-50") are first boat load, around late April/May, then typically the 58" around Aug/Sep and 65" Sep/Oct. But with more screen sizes this year (55" & 60" instead of the 58") we may see the 55" in earlier...

..nephew works part time in retail and as already been mentioned the new models should start rolling out later this Month,Panny. uses Air Cargo when stocks run low so release dates are usually fairly accurate but only a handful of people in Panny. Oz know what they are,Journo's only state guestimates.

..nephew works part time in retail and as already been mentioned the new models should start rolling out later this Month,Panny. uses Air Cargo when stocks run low so release dates are usually fairly accurate but only a handful of people in Panny. Oz know what they are,Journo's only state guestimates.

I just hope anything that is imported from Japan is tested for radioactive trace elements by our authorities.

Some people on this forum may scoff at this but reality of RA contamination is a reality ie via dust etc.

Edited by Crist

All I've seen mentioned so far has been for food stuffs - seaweed, some vegetables etc. I can't imagine they would have customs at the ports Geiger countering container loads. Maybe just spot checks?