Panasonic TV Owners & Discussion Thread

Luckily I had them unpack it then and there. Imagine if they had gone, then I would have been stuffed and it would have been treated like a regular warranty. Moral of the story, make sure you have the delivery company unpack stuff.

Yeah top tip. I would've done the same if i'd known about others with cracked screens.

Everyone should be checking them to save a potential long-term nightmare.

edit...

So there was no evidence on the box at all, suggesting it had been bumped or dented?

Edited by Ralfi

I was referring to the replacement.

Luckily its not a replacement as its damage caught by the store themselves so getting a brand new screen as a result :)

Ralfi,

No there was no indication at all. The box looked perfect, brand new, no dents. It seems Pana may have done a louzy job in QC as it may have left the factory with a hint of a crack and with glas crack, it just starts to keep cracking and this crack filled up the entire screen and even the HN guy said looked like this was cracked right from the start, couldnt have been damaged in freight as the outer glass was in perfect condition.

Edited by chuna

apparently these models are using the same technology used by Pinoneer in their Kuro plasmas. I also heard that the majority of technical people have left Pioneer after the stopped making plasmas and went to work for Pana. Maybe that explains the price.

I'm afraid thats unsubstantiated rumor mate.

Some of Pioneers staff may now work for Panasonic but Panasonic are not using Pioneers patents, nor would the staff be able to use information gained at Pioneer.

The Pioneer and Panasonic panel are very different.

Edited by Owen

Some of Pioneers staff may now work for Panasonic but Panasonic are not using Pioneers patents, nor would the staff be able to use information gained at Pioneer.

You would hope not as a Pioneer shareholder but one would be naive to think it does not happen in reality.

I am confident Panasonic have not violated Pioneers patents, nor do they seem to have any interest in following Pioneers example. If they wanted to install a decent screen filter for improved contrast like Pioneer they could have. I have no doubt they could do better with idle luminance and colour accuracy with the aid of advanced colour management as well but they can’t be bothered.

Panasonic are not interested in taking the high ground in display quality, it did not do Pioneer any good so I don’t blame them. Low prices are what buyers want and that’s what Panasonic are providing.

There appears to be no place in the market for high end TV’s that are built up to a quality not down to a price.

I am confident Panasonic have not violated Pioneers patents, nor do they seem to have any interest in following Pioneers example. If they wanted to install a decent screen filter for improved contrast like Pioneer they could have. I have no doubt they could do better with idle luminance and colour accuracy with the aid of advanced colour management as well but they can’t be bothered.

Panasonic are not interested in taking the high ground in display quality, it did not do Pioneer any good so I don’t blame them. Low prices are what buyers want and that’s what Panasonic are providing.

There appears to be no place in the market for high end TV’s that are built up to a quality not down to a price. Like it or not it’s the way it is, and it applies to all brands.

There appears to be no place in the market for high end TV’s that are built up to a quality not down to a price. Like it or not it’s the way it is, and it applies to all brands.

Owen ... I have the Pioneer Kuro LX608 and boy am I enjoying this. I have had it calibrated also by Aaron. Obviously my next purchase will be a set larger than 60". What do you think is the future of plasma ? Is it a format that is already on the way out ? Do you think that 70-80" TV's will manufactured soon ?

Owen ... I have the Pioneer Kuro LX608 and boy am I enjoying this. I have had it calibrated also by Aaron. Obviously my next purchase will be a set larger than 60". What do you think is the future of plasma ? Is it a format that is already on the way out ? Do you think that 70-80" TV's will manufactured soon ?

Panasonic already have a 103 inch plasma is you have $40K and can get a crane into your house.

In case any of you guys/gals are shopping for prices this may help...

Copy of receipt I used to get same deal at Myer on the 65" V10 Panny for $4726, I took out extra 2 years EW on top of that think it was $320. Told will be here late Jan 2010.

http://s783.photobucket.com/albums/yy112/E...InchV10Pana.jpg

Thanks Keith this will definitely put out a lot of fires when the Myer salesperson is telling you that the lowest they can do is $x because they are going very close to cost

Panasonic already have a 103 inch plasma is you have $40K and can get a crane into your house.

Yeah I know .... a TV such as this is what I call part of the 'millionaires market'. I am talking more about the mainstream market - for the well heeled Average Joe !

Have to agree with you here.

However with improvements with technology in the future the same output can be achieved at a lower cost of inputs.

However what rings true is that getting to the standard of Pioneer will not improve profitability unless the market perceives it as a "real improvement"

and volume sales will counter the lower margins due to increased production costs and lower price points for the product.

The more I think about this I just cant see this happening as the mass market will not appreciate it anyway ie not see it as a tangible improvement in their

living rooms with their sets in "dynamic mode" :rolleyes:

I do recall Panasonic dabbled with "screen filters" on their 700 model.

The result speaks for itself. The anti reflective screen was dropped from future models.

I am wondering Owen what sort of display do you own?

Edited by CC Rider

Thanks Keith this will definitely put out a lot of fires when the Myer salesperson is telling you that the lowest they can do is $x because they are going very close to cost

I'm still amazed I got it for the price.

That's a damn good price especially in FNQ Foxy!

I've gotta get me one!

Diesel, yeah unreal.

Funny thing after the sale about 10 minutes later while still in Myer on the Thurs. night, the sales guy (nice bloke) raced up said he was just told they can't supply any more 65" Pannies other than to capital cities, said he would check and call me next day, he did next mornin, said yep head office has approved seeing the deal was done, so I guess if your not in the cities/subs loop you won't get one.

Now how will I mount this monolith on the wall? (true)

Edited by EZYHD

Plasma should continue for some time yet, but I still wish something better would come along. SED looked so promising but it’s unlikely it will ever see the light of day due to the stupidly low prices we now have. There is no money in TV’s so development seems to be stalling.

Panasonic have an 85” version of the current NeoPDP line due for release now, the expected price at release is around $30k US.

The 65” sold for $18k AU when it was released here 3 years ago so it will be a while before the 85” gets under $20k.

Plasma should continue for some time yet, but I still wish something better would come along. SED looked so promising but it’s unlikely it will ever see the light of day due to the stupidly low prices we now have. There is no money in TV’s so development seems to be stalling.

Panasonic have an 85” version of the current NeoPDP line due for release now, the expected price at release is around $30k US.

The 65” sold for $18k AU when it was released here 3 years ago so it will be a while before the 85” gets under $20k.

I'll need a bigger wall to mount that!.

I do recall Panasonic dabbled with "screen filters" on their 700 model.

The result speaks for itself. The anti reflective screen was dropped from future models.

I am wondering Owen what sort of display do you own?

The “screen filter” I have referred to has nothing what ever to do with the reflective qualifies of the screen. Screens can have a satin or mat surface finish to give them anti reflective qualities but that’s not filtering. A screen filter is required to prevent ambient light passing through the glass screen and illuminating the grey phosphor layer of the Plasma panel and dreading black level and contrast. A simple tint is not the solution as it blocks light equally in both directions and therefore reduces image brightness under all conditions. You can see how ineffective the screen is on any Panasonics by comparing the black of the screen to the bezel with the TV turned off. With only a moderate amount of ambient light the screen is no where near as dark as the bezel, if a good filter was used it would be.

My main display is a 70” 1080p Sony SXRD RPTV which I have extensively modified, it is now 3 years old and I expected I would have replaced it by now, but I am still waiting for something bigger and better to come along. The 85” Panasonic is interesting but I expect it will perform the same as the current smaller models and not have a decent screen filter. I really don’t want to buy another display that does not have true black in a dark room so I could be in for a bit of a wait. Maybe Panasonic will come up with something in 2011.

The “screen filter” I have referred to has nothing what ever to do with the reflective qualifies of the screen. Screens can have a satin or mat surface finish to give them anti reflective qualities but that’s not filtering. A screen filter is required to prevent ambient light passing through the glass screen and illuminating the grey phosphor layer of the Plasma panel and dreading black level and contrast. A simple tint is not the solution as it blocks light equally in both directions and therefore reduces image brightness under all conditions. You can see how ineffective the screen is on any Panasonics by comparing the black of the screen to the bezel with the TV turned off. With only a moderate amount of ambient light the screen is no where near as dark as the bezel, if a good filter was used it would be.

My main display is a 70” 1080p Sony SXRD RPTV which I have extensively modified, it is now 3 years old and I expected I would have replaced it by now, but I am still waiting for something bigger and better to come along. The 85” Panasonic is interesting but I expect it will perform the same as the current smaller models and not have a decent screen filter. I really don’t want to buy another display that does not have true black in a dark room so I could be in for a bit of a wait. Maybe Panasonic will come up with something in 2011.

Thanks for clarifying that Owen

I used to own a pio lx509 and never noticed the screen to blend in with the black bezel infact the screen was a lighter shade than the bezel.

Granted it was a darker shade than my v10 but It tended to lose a lot of shadow detail which was disappointing. PQ on the set was very dim and unless

you have lived with the set you may find this hard to digest.

I am enjoying my v10 as it ticks a lot more boxes for me than the Pioneer did.

Had to sell it as it was just too small for my viewing area.

Edited by CC Rider

You can see how ineffective the screen is on any Panasonics by comparing the black of the screen to the bezel with the TV turned off. With only a moderate amount of ambient light the screen is no where near as dark as the bezel, if a good filter was used it would be.

Hmm I could swear the green/grey tinge I see when the TV is off changes to a more black tone when I power the thing up & have shadows or another black image displayed. Sure, the blacks still don't match the black bezel, but they seem more convincing than when the screen is off.

I initially thought it could be because my eyes are being fooled by the other bright colours on screen, making the black areas seem more black.........but it has happened a few times.

Could it be that the screen behaves differently when powered on when it comes to displaying blacks, Owen? (sounds like a stupid question I know).

Hmm I could swear the green/grey tinge I see when the TV is off changes to a more black tone when I power the thing up & have shadows or another black image displayed. Sure, the blacks still don't match the black bezel, but they seem more convincing than when the screen is off.

I initially thought it could be because my eyes are being fooled by the other bright colours on screen, making the black areas seem more black.........but it has happened a few times.

Could it be that the screen behaves differently when powered on when it comes to displaying blacks, Owen? (sounds like a stupid question I know).

Agree, the blacks on the V10 come damm close to the jet black of the bezel (when its displaying an image) whether its an illusion of contrast or not I dont know. But if it looks good and black does it matter?

You would hope not as a Pioneer shareholder but one would be naive to think it does not happen in reality.

I seem to remember some sort of tie up between the two companies before Pioneer decided to exit plasma entirely they were to use Panasonic panels and shared some of their technology with Panasonic as part of the deal, would expect this to give Panasonic an edge cheaply that could be reflected in their next models. I am personally very sad Pioneer out of the market, would have liked an 85 inch with better blacks and maybe 2:1 aspect ratio to better accommodate wide screen movies. cheers alan

I used to own a pio lx509 and never noticed the screen to blend in with the black bezel infact the screen was a lighter shade than the bezel.

It’s very difficult to get the screen as dark as the basil with significant ambient light but the Kuro and 8 series Samsungs are a LOT darker that any Panasonic. The Samsung has the advantage of not being dull like the Pioneer.

Granted it was a darker shade than my v10 but It tended to lose a lot of shadow detail which was disappointing.

The low end of the gamma curve was a bit high on the Kuro’s (slow to come out of black), but the Panasonics are the exact opposite, gamma is a bit low near black (to quick to come out of black) which gives exaggerated shadow detail. For accurate shadow detail you would want to be about half way between the two.

PQ on the set was very dim and unless you have lived with the set you may find this hard to digest.

Yes the Pioneers tended to look dark as they where optimised for dark room viewing, its one reason they did not sell. Most people are attracted to over bright TV’s, generally the brighter the TV the better people like it, even though it caused eye strain and is totally unsuited to a dim or dark viewing environment and needs to be turned WAY down.

I am enjoying my v10 as it ticks a lot more boxes for me than the Pioneer did.

That’s understandable, the Pioneers where not suited to the typical viewing environment.

I'm afraid thats unsubstantiated rumor mate.

The Pioneer and Panasonic panel are very different.

Well actually panasonic are now allowed to use whatever Pioneer plasma technology they like. In their exit from the plasma scene Pioneer extracted the last money they could from the technology by selling the patents/IP rights to Panasonic for about $80 million. Panasonic own these patents but only since April 09, by which time neoPDP was well and truly finalised. It is possible some of the signal processing tech may have found it's way into the current gen though.

Next generation panas will be the ones to really benefit from this technology transfer.