Panasonic TV Owners & Discussion Thread

Wonder what the price of the 65” S10 and G10 will be. :D

I doubt they will release those lower models in 65 inch in OZ. Advanced details at the start of this year only had the 65 in the v10 - similar to the last model - only the better models come in 65 inch.

I hope I'm in line well before end Feb - ordered mine three weeks ago now and told about another couple of weeks to go. I'll try to get my money back and negotiate a better deal if delivery extends beyond expiry date to claim offer ( I have until 14th Jan to receive set to claim my reserved bluray/surround system). Now I see prices others have got around $500-600 cheaper than mine I would not be too fussed as the surround system is only mid-range anyway and I'd prefer a 500GB bluray PVR system and a decent receiver/amp/surround system which I could put $500 towards.

Edited by koolkat

Just an observation after a week with this monster.

Have consistently read everywhere that you should not use the noise reduction setting as it adds extra processing to the picture that makes it not right. So Iput up with noise and then got sick of it so turned it up to max. Now much less noise and very happy.

Also have consistently read everywhere that you should not turn intelligent frame creation on as it means the Pana "makes up" frames and thus adds informationnot normally there, giving film a video look and not nice. So I put up with judder in panning shots and it gve me the shits. So I turned it on and the panning was smooth and no judder. And the picture looked great! No "video look" at all, just smoothness and goodness.

So I am going against the majority and openly saying I love all the picture processing modes you are not meant to turn on!

So I put up with judder in panning shots and it gve me the shits.

Which picture mode produced judder for you? I ask because I haven't experienced any judder on my 58v with or without these artificial enhances. THX mode is completely judder-free also.

Edited by Ralfi

Just an observation after a week with this monster.

Have consistently read everywhere that you should not use the noise reduction setting as it adds extra processing to the picture that makes it not right. So Iput up with noise and then got sick of it so turned it up to max. Now much less noise and very happy.

Also have consistently read everywhere that you should not turn intelligent frame creation on as it means the Pana "makes up" frames and thus adds informationnot normally there, giving film a video look and not nice. So I put up with judder in panning shots and it gve me the shits. So I turned it on and the panning was smooth and no judder. And the picture looked great! No "video look" at all, just smoothness and goodness.

So I am going against the majority and openly saying I love all the picture processing modes you are not meant to turn on!

The purists believe that by turning on these electronic "aides" you interfere with the integrity of the pq.

I believe it is your set and you can do to it as you please if it satisfies your viewing experience.

Each to their own.

I personally use IFC and 24p smooth film. Like you I notice the judder and it gives me the sh##s.

I own the 58 and if it was a 65 it would be more obvious.

Ralfi if you are watching br movies this is where it is most obvious. BR predominantly is 24fps and a lot of the problems we see has little to do with the set but more to do with poor cinematography.

Edited by CC Rider

Ralfi if you are watching br movies this is where it is most obvious. BR predominantly is 24fps and a lot of the problems we see has little to do with the set but more to do with poor cinematography.

Yeah it's mainly BRs, CC. So far watched Sunshine, I Am Legend, 1st Planet Earth disc, Akira, Die Hard 4.0 & 1 or 2 others & haven't noticed anything near a distracting level of judder. All I can suggest is are your BD player settings ok? Maybe the cause lies there?

Yeah it's mainly BRs, CC. So far watched Sunshine, I Am Legend, 1st Planet Earth disc, Akira, Die Hard 4.0 & 1 or 2 others & haven't noticed anything near a distracting level of judder. All I can suggest is are your BD player settings ok? Maybe the cause lies there?

Don't watch in THX.Usually Cinema or normal. And the worst case of it was watching free to air episode of Family Guy, so not Blu Ray dependent. Completely disappeared with IFC on. And yes my PS3 is set to 24p and so on.

Bottom line is I don't notice any diminution in picture quality with this extra processing on so I am happy to keep it on.

Another couple of observations on this set:

1. Phosphor Lag: Very little.Was very worried about this as I had read that it was a real problem. But then, I upgraded from my Fujitsu which had terrible phosphor lag. If you are upgrading from a set that had no phosphor lag you would notice it.

2. Blacks: Perhaps the most troubling thing about the whole set. During night time viewing the blacks are excellent. Almost as dark as the bezel. During daytime though ambient light on the set really seems to wash out the blacks leaving them a dark to medium grey. As I watch mainly at night this is not a problem for me but could be for others. Owen has consistently stated this is due to the poor screen filter on the Panas and he is right. It's a real problem. The Samsungs are apparently better.

Other than those minor quibbles this thing is a dream. The picture quality is superb and the colours are warm and vibrant. It really is like a high quality audio system though. Most people think getting kick as speakers and amps will make bad music good. It doesn't. It makes bad music even badder. If you feed this baby a good signal it will rock your world. If you feed it highly compressed bad SD ala Foxtel or Austar it is not a great experience. And I feed it externally, via a Beyonwiz upscaling to 1080i and my Denon amp upscaling to 1080i.

But watch a well mastered DVD or a Blu Ray and it is unbelievable. Even my girlfriend who doesn't care at all about these things said last night whilst watching a Blu Ray:

"Don't take this the wrong way because I know you love your TV, but the image is now TOO GOOD. I feel like I am looking out a window observing the action. I feel like I am actually there, not watching it on TV. I find it quite disconcerting and a little bit creepy. Sorry."

I took it as a compliment on the set. :lol:

Got this baby set up yesterday, it is a beauty, I love its black level.

Agree with toto, quick panning shot is quite bad, I turn the intelligent

framing on as well. Apart from that this set is awsome. I do not know

what good about THX mode that everyone praise about, it is so dull.

Can't beleive there is this day, I can afford and watching a 65" Pana plasma

in my own home. I don't understand why anyone would settle for a smaller

size than this, unless living in a shoe box. The finance minister reckons it is

not big enough. Must be joking me. Must apply for a holding ankle job to get

any thing bigger to satisfy the finance minister.

What applies to the 50” versions should apply to the 63-65” versions.

Basically the Panasonic works best in the dark or where you can keep any direct light off the screen. Where this requirement can’t be met the Samsung should provide better contrast.

Unfortunately we don’t get the 8 Series Samsung 63”, its screen filter is top class giving it the best performance in a non dark environment.

Being 2” smaller the Samsung should be quite a bit cheaper than the Panasonic, about $4k seems fair but I doubt anyone will sell it that cheap.

Thanks for the info

It is a shame that there is no 63" 8 Series as the better screen filter would have been a bonus.

We will have the TV in the family/lounge room so there will be light in the day (large sliding doors) so the Panasonic does concern me a little in this regard, especially as the Samsung is meant to be a lot better in well lit conditions.

toto what is the sound like from the TV speakers?.

I honestly wouldn't know. I have them turned off. Everything goes through the amp and then the speakers. I haven't even tuned in the TV's internal channels as I have them all fed in externally, so can't even turn it up now to give you an opinion. For me sound is 50% of the experience so I either have full surround or crisp stereo on constantly.

My gut feeling though is that the sound is hopeless. How can it not be? The laws of physics preclude anything good coming out of those crappy little TV speakers Also, reading around the forums it is unlikely these speakers are going to be any better than the other V series or G series speakers. ANd most people are pretty unimpressed with them.

Also, one more point regarding the size. I was initially overwhelmed by the bigness of it but really, after 2 or 3 days it now looks entirely normal.

Would love to post some pics. Is that easy? Is there a sticky for this? Have always had trouble posting photos in forums.

Got this baby set up yesterday, it is a beauty, I love its black level.

Agree with toto, quick panning shot is quite bad<SNIP>.

On a plasma? Is it broken? What's wrong with it?

Something is bad - because the 50" PX is fine :(

Hope they haven't changed or fiddled with something they shouldn't have.

To be honest with you guys. I am not a Samsung fan. I am a Made in Japan fanboy and I am aware the Sammy series 8 has the screen for well lit rooms etc etc.

But most viewing is done in the evening and this is where the V series shines.

Daytime viewing is mainly for the Oprah, Dr Phil fanclub's who couldn't give a toss about black levels.(Mainly populated by the fairer sex)

A set of thick curtains or external awnings will reduce the luminance in very bright rooms and improve the viewing experience for those discerning fortunate male members of the population who have the luxury of watching TV during the daylight hours. .

Edited by CC Rider

IM(humble)O:

65v10 vs 60 inch pioneer

size: Panasonic +1

contrast: pioneer +1

color: pioneer +1

price: panasonic +2

shadow detail: panasonic +1

looks: pioneer +1

bright room: pioneer +1

its a tie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

size Panasonic +2

looks Pioneer bland 0 Panasonic +0.5

Contrast According to measurements by "Tech Radar" V series ihas a higher contrast ratio than the Pio's

Winner Panasonic

Edited by CC Rider

Can I ask how you've got your speaker/receiver/tv set up?

I cant get my speaker system playing normal TV for some reason. Cant find the setting in the tv menu to set it to run the sound thru the receiver.

The ps3 plays just fine thru hdmi and the sounds go thru the receiver and the speakers, but i cant seem to do it for normal tv.

I have 1 hdmi cable running from output from the receiver into hdmi input on the tv. thx

btw I bought my 65v10 from myers sydney at $5500 with extended warranty. The stock was going to take too long, so i called around and found that harvey norman had it in stock and they pricematched.

I didnt need to bargain with myers to get that price. So anyone in sydney should be able to get that price from the myer cbd store no problems.

size Panasonic +2

Contrast According to measurements by "Tech Radar" V series ihas a higher contrast ratio than the Pio's

Winner Panasonic

I'm pretty happy with my reconfigured "Normal" setting for day time viewing...it's basically THX minus the Warm Colour Balance (On "Normal" instead). Cricket looked lovely as the lounge caught the bright sun this afternoon.

Can I ask how you've got your speaker/receiver/tv set up?

I cant get my speaker system playing normal TV for some reason. Cant find the setting in the tv menu to set it to run the sound thru the receiver.

The ps3 plays just fine thru hdmi and the sounds go thru the receiver and the speakers, but i cant seem to do it for normal tv.

I have 1 hdmi cable running from output from the receiver into hdmi input on the tv. thx

I have my PS3 connected to my receiver via HDMI for both video/audio.

I have my HD Set Top Box/PVR connected to my receiver via HDMI for video & via optical for audio (as its HDMI port wont support multi-channel audio)

I then have my receiver connected to my TV via HDMI.

Works perfectly this way, as 1 button on my Receivers remote switches both the audio & video inputs for each of my devices.

Hi toto,

I'm curious, does your centre speaker easily support the 66kg TV?

Congratulation on your set up.

It's a KRIX Epicentrix.

Apparently it is specifically designed to have a big fat heavy elephant on it. The guys at KRIX are prettyconfident that it can take it. Apparently it is specially braced and they have happily had 250 kg sitting on it.

I am more worried about the stand entertainment unit to be perfectly honest. It's pretty strudy but didn't come with ratings as to how much it could handle.

Would be very unhappy if it just snapped one day!

size Panasonic +2

Winner Panasonic

Since the “Tech Radar” contrast measurements are 10 to 20 times higher than every other G or V series review its safe to assume they are inaccurate and worthless.

Edited by Owen

I am more worried about the stand entertainment unit to be perfectly honest. It's pretty strudy but didn't come with ratings as to how much it could handle.

Would be very unhappy if it just snapped one day!

Looks good toto. Not quite as big as I was imaging, but I think the size of your centre speaker makes the TV look smaller? :unsure:

Is that a glass top on the entertainment unit? Does it have a cross brace in the middle where your centre speaker is?

If not, I would be a little concerned too.

I think the TV would look a lot better mounted on the wall behind it B)

The centre is a monster. As it should be. Most of the dialogue comes out of there so it needs to be. It is perfectly matched to the fronts. And yes, once in place the TV is not that big really. A bit confronting at the start but now it just feels normal.

I was toying with the idea of wall mounting it. Perhaps on one of those mounts that is articulated and can stick out a little bit. Just worried about the integrity of the wall beams and being locked into having it in one spot. Also, I am currently 3.5 metres away from the TV and don't really want it any further back. It's currently 50 cm away from the wall. As Owen will tell you, I really sould have it another metre closer to me. LOL.

The cabinet as is might be abit of a worry. The top is wood not glass. The lower shelves are glass. The middle shelf has little weight on it. The bottome shelf has about 70kg of amp and power amp on it. The top has 20kg of centre and 60 of Tv. 80kg, not too much I would have thought? But maybe it will go snap one day. I was also considering getting a completely new cabinet that is slighlty lower profile so that the lower third of the TV will be at eye level. But then the centres tweeters won't be at ear level and the sound will suffer. Oh my god my life is so harsh!!!!!!

Thoughts anyone? Maybe I should look at wall mounting again? Maybe this is the wrong thread?