Panasonic TV Owners & Discussion Thread

Yeah, we were happy with the price...

Had a bit of a play, audio isn't anything special (I knew that was one of the weaker points though, will sort out audio at a later date).

Out of the box settings look reasonable running on rabbit ears until TV is in place (7HD), still looks reasonable at ~2.5-3M. Will have to have a read and check out some run in settings/optimal picture settings and everything else I need to know (our first flat panel TV) :D.

I'll have to grab a HD animated movie and hook up the PC via HDMI and see how it looks too.

Overall stoked with the unit thus far, and glad I bought it after months of indecision.

One last thing, if anyone answers before I read the manual, is there a signal quality/strength display somewhere? I assumed it would be on the "i" screen...

Cheers.

Going to buy a 58" Pana next week.

Had prices from $5400 to $5700. Was told if I had got in 2 weeks ago I could have had one for $4800. Stupid price rise.

LOL :lol:

...and I am sure as the new NeoPDPs start appearing these will 'rise' even further ;)

i just bought a

50PZ800A with delivery and 2years extended warranty for $2999 at goodguys Mackay,

i am pretty happy with the price as delivery would have been $100+ to where i live and the warranty was only $200 and i think thats not too bad.

considering most places are chaging new prices already and its a local dealer rather than online i am happy,

could i have gotten it any cheaper at other stores?

could i have gotten it any cheaper at other stores?

Doesn't really matter unless the place you bought it from has a 14 day price match policy.

You've got it now, so get it home and enjoy it. Any savings you could have made by possibly buying it cheaper elsewhere, are quickly forgotten when it's up and running B)

You've got it now, so get it home and enjoy it. Any savings you could have made by possibly buying it cheaper elsewhere, are quickly forgotten when it's up and running B)

That's exactly what i am doing today! Sit in front of my new 50" Pana in the Air Conditioning and watch the cricket in HD for the first time! :)

Picked up the 50PZ80A yesterday from Domayne for $2387 + $269 for 4 years extended warranty. Thought this was a pretty good deal. Been looking at prices for a couple of weeks and haven't seen it this low for this model.

So far very happy with it! Just need to get myself a Blue Ray! :D

LOL :lol:

...and I am sure as the new NeoPDPs start appearing these will 'rise' even further ;)

I asked about the 58" in the new model that's out in August and he said around the $7500-8000 mark.

My wife is letting me get one now so I am jumping in cause if I wait something will come up that won't allow me to get it.

Besides if you wait for new things you will be waiting forever as you never stay ahead of technology.

Now to convince her of a new Yamaha 3900 amp and new subwoofer and I'm done. HT finished (well until something new comes out)

Going to buy a 58" Pana next week.

Had prices from $5400 to $5700. Was told if I had got in 2 weeks ago I could have had one for $4800. Stupid price rise.

Anyone else been looking for a 58" lately. If so how are you going with your prices?

Hey mate,

I'm in WA where did you get the quote for $5400?

Thanks.

David.

Hey mate,

I'm in WA where did you get the quote for $5400?

Thanks.

David.

Hey mate, $5400 from Paul from Betta Elec in Rockingham and $5449 from Yoshi from Rick Hart in Vic Park.

I went with Rick Hart for the fact it's closer to transport companies as I have to get it delivered to me 1200km away and he was good enough to fax me a quote and was pretty good to deal with. No other store I rang could go close (mind you I was doing it all by phone).

P.S. Have you been looking? If so what prices have you been getting?

Thanks

Ah the cheapest I've heard was $5699 from Harvey Norman today. It was the ticketed price. I was ready to pull the trigger but decided to go check out Rick Hart. They said that they'd match it. I tried to get them to chuck in the extended warranty but they wouldn't budge. We ended up saving $600 on the fridges we purchased but I felt I might be able to get it cheaper elsewhere.

As far as I can remember it costs them bugger all for the warranty and that they make good gross profit on them.

I'm going to hit JB's up tomorrow but I'll try to chase up on the leads you've been so kind to pass on.

Cheers!

David.

Ah the cheapest I've heard was $5699 from Harvey Norman today. It was the ticketed price. I was ready to pull the trigger but decided to go check out Rick Hart. They said that they'd match it. I tried to get them to chuck in the extended warranty but they wouldn't budge. We ended up saving $600 on the fridges we purchased but I felt I might be able to get it cheaper elsewhere.

As far as I can remember it costs them bugger all for the warranty and that they make good gross profit on them.

I'm going to hit JB's up tomorrow but I'll try to chase up on the leads you've been so kind to pass on.

Cheers!

David.

Ok cool. I was quoted $209 for a 2yr ext warranty. Might look at it for if they give it to me for $150-160 otherwise I won't worry. Wan't to get a decent powerboard to as there are a few dollars worth hooked up to it.

Just FYI, no one I spoke to had stock until mid Feb. Wanted to pay for it now so they can't reneg on the deal (hopefully)

Ok cool. I was quoted $209 for a 2yr ext warranty. Might look at it for if they give it to me for $150-160 otherwise I won't worry. Wan't to get a decent powerboard to as there are a few dollars worth hooked up to it.

Just FYI, no one I spoke to had stock until mid Feb. Wanted to pay for it now so they can't reneg on the deal (hopefully)

Ended up biting the bullet today and put some money down. $5400 in the end from Phil at Rick Hart, Northbridge. Nice bloke would go there again. It's much easier to get a deal at places like that which aren't separate franchises within the one place like HN.

We ended up saving a further $160 on a vacuum cleaner.

Cheers!

David.

Ended up biting the bullet today and put some money down. $5400 in the end from Phil at Rick Hart, Northbridge. Nice bloke would go there again. It's much easier to get a deal at places like that which aren't separate franchises within the one place like HN.

We ended up saving a further $160 on a vacuum cleaner.

Cheers!

David.

Good stuff David, was he happy to do it at that price or you have to nudge him a little?

Sorted mine today also and pay the hard earned on Wednesday. He said it should be in stock mid to late Feb. Did you get the same story?

Thanks for replying was thinking how you went when I jumped on the net

Adam

Might look at it for if they give it to me for $150-160 otherwise I won't worry. Wan't to get a decent powerboard to as there are a few dollars worth hooked up to it.

Don't get ripped on these "value add" extras. Power borads are good and handy, but just make sure they don't charge you $300 for one.

Don't get ripped on these "value add" extras. Power borads are good and handy, but just make sure they don't charge you $300 for one.

Yeah I know. Looking at a Monster HTS 1000 powerboard. $429 rrp and he said $350 without out even asking for a discount. I'm guessing there is lots of headroom there still

Why? TVs come down in price about 30% a year. Neo PDPs will be cheaper in the USA according to rumours on AVS. Also Panasonic have invested megabucks to cut the costs of production. Our currency is only one small factor pushing against lower costs and competition.

I asked about the 58" in the new model that's out in August and he said around the $7500-8000 mark.

I assume you refer to the ones that are due out in the USA about then? Panasonic Australia are yet to announce the local models. I wouldn't expect a 58inch till October, nor for any salesman to have any clue about pricing for a model that far away. Sounds like salesman BS to try and get you to buy now.

Yeah I know. Looking at a Monster HTS 1000 powerboard. $429 rrp and he said $350 without out even asking for a discount. I'm guessing there is lots of headroom there still

Or better yet, some good prices on the Powerware Pod boards from getprice :-

http://www.getprice.com.au/POWERWARE-Power...6--34978203.htm

:)

I assume you refer to the ones that are due out in the USA about then? Panasonic Australia are yet to announce the local models. I wouldn't expect a 58inch till October, nor for any salesman to have any clue about pricing for a model that far away. Sounds like salesman BS to try and get you to buy now.

Not sure. I looked on a site and it said something about the new z1 series (something like that, can't remember) so I assumed thats what he must have been talking about

I was going to buy now anyway so he didn't have to twist my arm (not that he got the sale, some other guy did)

Good stuff David, was he happy to do it at that price or you have to nudge him a little?

Sorted mine today also and pay the hard earned on Wednesday. He said it should be in stock mid to late Feb. Did you get the same story?

Thanks for replying was thinking how you went when I jumped on the net

Adam

Cheers Adam,

I'm pretty happy. I really wanted the Pioneer but couldn't justify the extra dollars for what they were offering.

I rang Yoshi and he seemed concerned about supposed price rises and that I'd have to get it within the next week. He didn't really flinch too much about the price but the bloke at RH Northbridge reckons he had to ring head office to get a clearance. Either way, true or false I've spent the money now, too late. The chap I spoke to reckons that it'll arrive mid to late Feb.

I haven't owned a HDTV yet nor SDTV. So I'm really looking forward to it. I don't usually watch much tv but I get into the occasional movie and UFC. The chap at the projector shop that I went and had a look at projectors recommended a few shows. If anyone has any tips on shows to watch I'd be interested in finally getting my fat ass of the desk chair and into the recliner. I heard that the NFL Superbowl was televised in 1080p and absolutely superb. Are there any other shows that will show off the HDTV format?

Now for the Home Theatre stuff, here we go again. Any tips there appreciated too.

Cheers!

Cheers Adam,

I'm pretty happy. I really wanted the Pioneer but couldn't justify the extra dollars for what they were offering.

I rang Yoshi and he seemed concerned about supposed price rises and that I'd have to get it within the next week. He didn't really flinch too much about the price but the bloke at RH Northbridge reckons he had to ring head office to get a clearance. Either way, true or false I've spent the money now, too late. The chap I spoke to reckons that it'll arrive mid to late Feb.

I haven't owned a HDTV yet nor SDTV. So I'm really looking forward to it. I don't usually watch much tv but I get into the occasional movie and UFC. The chap at the projector shop that I went and had a look at projectors recommended a few shows. If anyone has any tips on shows to watch I'd be interested in finally getting my fat ass of the desk chair and into the recliner. I heard that the NFL Superbowl was televised in 1080p and absolutely superb. Are there any other shows that will show off the HDTV format?

Now for the Home Theatre stuff, here we go again. Any tips there appreciated too.

Cheers!

Based on your comment about the desk chair a few shows come to mind :lol: