Sign in to follow this  
diesel

Panasonic 2011 Tv Line Up

With CES 2011 over and this year's Panasonic TV lineup revealed, I have had a little bit of a look and there are a few surprises which I thought were interesting. Like last year, there are a myriad of model lines spanning LCD and plasma and certainly enough to meet any feature/size/price range most would want. It seems there are 11 different models (6 LCD & 5 plasma) in the following sizes;

LCD 19", 24", 32" 37" & 42"

Plasma 42", 46", 50", 55", 60" & 65"

As you can see the plasma range has had another go at redefining sizes with the current 54" now replaced with a 55" and the 58" now replaced with a 60". The other difference I see is that the 'S' series no longer comes in 65" - max is now 60" - which means that you can't get a non-3D 65" plasma from Panasonic anymore. Hopefully this won't mean a price rise for those seeking to move up to the 65" class, which is currently well served with the $2999 RRP 65"S20.

Here is the model breakdown and a link to the Panasonic Asia model lineup and here is the link to the Panasonic US model lineup. I have only concentrated on the US model lineup as it appears more comprehensive.

PLASMA

VT30 - 55" and 65" 3D TV

GT30 - 50", 55", 60" and 65" 3D TV

ST30 - 42", 46", 50", 55", 60" and 65" 3D TV

S30 - 42", 46", 50" and 60" 2D TV

X3 - 42", 46" and 50" 2D TV

LCD

DT30 - 32" and 37" 3D TV (LED)

D30 - 42" 2D TV (LED)

E3/E30 - E3 32", 37" and 42" and E30 42" (LED)

U3/U30 - U3 32, 37" and U30 42"

X30 - 32"

C3/C30 - C30 19" and C3 24" and 32"

Here are some design highlights too - One sheet of glass (probably the top line models), slimline speakers and modest mask (wow ;) )

My guess is we'll see the VT, ST series and the X in plasma...maybe the S. In LCDs I guess we'll see the DT30 and U3/U30 range.

Edited by diesel

Pricing has been released in Japan with March release date

Engadget story

Interesting in the comments section of the article as to why Panasonic didn't adopt Pioneer's Kuro technology:

"The Kuro technology used to get the deep blacks relates to a single crystal Mgo (Magnesium oxide?) layer. However, it's very expensive and may not be compatible with Panasonic's plasma designs. They won't make a display for $7k like Pioneer did, as there's not enough customers to buy it even if its performance is vastly superior."

Not that I have seen, but I reckon around the middle of March we'll start to see some reviews etc before they ship in April

Managed to find a US user manual for the new ST30 series, but not the VT.

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/TCP42ST30.PDF

And some more info (unfortunately it's about the US model but i expect the Australian models are similar

http://techgeek.com.au/2011/01/06/panasoni...cd-televisions/

Edited by Vortical

Thanks for the link to that review, quite helpful for me. Am I correct in saying that for the 2011 pana lineup, the only 65 inch tv available will be the 3d version? Im not particularly fussed about the the 3d thing - would be happy to save the cash with 2d only, but definitely want a 65 incher. Also a lot of the salespeople have told me the outgoing $2500 65 inch pana was a bit cheap & nasty with regards to reproducing fast-moving images. Many of them were trying to sway me away from this model. They tried to advise me towards the 3d version for this reason alone (rather than 3d per se). Im not an expert in this area, but I was left convinced of this when a salesperson showed me a bluray disc playing through both screens simultaneously - fast moving images displayed much more judder on the non3d than the 3d. It was noticeable to my untrained eyes......

Yes, it appears that the 65" plasmas will all be 3D enabled.

Obviously Panasonic has omitted some features on the s20 compared to the VT20 to get a very attractive entry price, but I think all the video processing etc was the same between the models. It was the addition of 3D, internet connectivity, better screen filter and features like THX that made the VT20 a better screen

Not that I have seen, but I reckon around the middle of March we'll start to see some reviews etc before they ship in April

still trying to find out a release date on this :P........

Well they have announced pricing in the US - and interestingly two additional model lines...the V30 and S30 so i'd imagine Panasonic Australia will go with the same line up here again and we'll still only have 1 x 3D model range???

Engadget

After setting its LED pricing for the year to come, Panasonic has finally set its plasma HDTV info in stone. Again matching the information leaked from retailers, the MSRPs (before any retailer discounts) range from the 65-inch TC-P65VT30 sticking at $4,299 down to the $599 720p TC-P42X3. Also of note is the inclusion of not only the previously announced S30 series without 3D technology or the new Infinite Black 2 panel (unlike the step-up ST30 models) but there will also apparently be a V30 line without the 3D fittings, although there's no specs, prices or ship dates mentioned. Last year the only top of the line model available was the VT25, although there was a 2D only V20-series plasma available in Australia and other regions. 3D or no, things appear to be looking up for plasma TVs, with shipments jumping nine percent last year. Check the press release after the break for all the details, but we'll have to wait until the TVs to arrive to find out if Panasonic is going to be able to hold onto its crown again.

Have they addressed the floating blacks issue in the 2011 models?

We'll have to wait and see after a few reviews start popping up from the States

Edited by roachy

Oh yes, I agree... :blink:

JSmith :ninja:

Any idea on the vt30 pricing compared with the vt20?

As they are not making a 50 inch vt anymore, I wonder if the 55 inch vt30 will be similar in pricing to the 50vt20 or the 54vt20.

What floating blacks issue? No floating blacks on my 2010 Panny Plasma.

Certainly none on my parents pana either..

None on mine either.

Andys.

None on mine either.

Andys.

Exactly......... this is insane. I have never seen it nor do I want to . I have a suspicion that a lot of this is another load of w@nk that comes from people in the USA who need to get a life .

If this is an issue that is so obvious like the dog's proverbials I would have seen it by now.

Come to think of it I have seen dead Collingwood supporters .....they appear on the screen when I turn my head away... and they dissappear as soon as I take another look....floating blacks and maybe whites ...who knows???....

Damn you Panasonic!! :D

Edited by Crist

Exactly......... this is insane. I have never seen it nor do I want to . I have a suspicion that a lot of this is another load of w@nk that comes from people in the USA who need to get a life .

If this is an issue that is so obvious like the dog's proverbials I would have seen it by now.

Come to think of it I have seen dead Collingwood supporters .....they appear on the screen when I turn my head away... and they dissappear as soon as I take another look....floating blacks and maybe whites ...who knows???....

Damn you Panasonic!! :D

I see FB's all the time, so do others.

If you don't see it, good for you, but don't dismiss it as a load of rubbish.

There's no guarantee it won't exist in 2011 models either.

I didn't really notice it on my 2010 V20 until recently, probably 6-8 months in to the panels life. Coincidentally I've been thinking the black levels haven't looked as impressively dark lately, I was originally really happy with that aspect and it still looks very good but i've been progressively getting the feeling that it is not quite so dark anymore. So perhaps as the panel brightens up with age the floating blacks become a bit more noticeable ?

I wouldn't say it's a big problem though, the black bars around 2.35 source just seem to suddenly and briefly brighten up a bit here and there during various scenes. It distracted me a couple of times during a bluray as I thought 'oh that's probably what they mean by floating blacks..' but I don't think it will be that much of a nuisance unless it gets worse.

I'm more bothered with visible flickering in bright scenes, and until recently buzzing from the power supply but I had a tech out who replaced a transformer and it's no longer audible from the viewing position so i'm pretty happy that is fixed up.

No FB that I have ever seen from November last year. Best TV I ever had and leaves my 2008 model for dead. Still have that one too for comparison.

Everyone that walks into my house and sees it says they want one.. VT20A 65 that is. :D

Yea the Panasonic are Awesome Tv's and the VT20A 65 rocks I saw one today in the shop very nice indeed.