4 hours ago, Sime V2 said:

I want to replace my A8F with the A9F, except that bloody tilt stand means I have to wall mount it. And that’s a challenge in my environment. 

I originally wasn't going to wall mount and was looking at the Selby tabletop stand, says it's for up to 55" but the 65" should be fine as it's still only 27KG, maybe ask them what the height of the horizontal mounting bar is, if it's over ~450mm (looks more like ~650mm) you should be okay.

On 07/12/2018 at 10:31 AM, IviewHD said:

Personally I would have gone for the LG C8 65" for under $4K but whatever floats your boat.The big question for me is why hasn't the price of the 77" LG C8 dropped by even a single dollar since the day it was released?To me it seems to be way over priced.It sells for $5400USD on Amazon US which is $7500Aud.Even if you add gst that only takes it up to $8250 so why can't you get one at JB for $8k Aud?

Yeah you've been spruking the LG for a while in this thread. It's also the oled you bought if I remember correctly? 

I'm happy with my purchase. Each to their own :)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Shankman said:

Yeah you've been spruking the LG for a while in this thread. It's also the oled you bought if I remember correctly? 

I'm happy with my purchase. Each to their own :)

Well apparently Philips is now the king of OLED as they just wiped the floor with everyone else in a blind shootout.Sony did come in second but you would have expected them to not get smashed considering the premium price.I still LMFAO at Samsung trying to flog dead horse LCD tv's while every other TV manufacture has seen the OLED light and my LG is still as good as the day I bought it thanks very much.

11 minutes ago, Musician said:

They are very expensive still regardless of which one.

Have you guys noticed much difference for free to air channels as compared to full HD TVs.

The last FHD TV I had was a Samsung plasma and the biggest thing I noticed was how much brighter it was.The combination of a perfect black canvas and superior punch meant colours leap off the screen and it smashed the plasma in a bazillion pieces.My current expert bright room setting is 47/100 so any Samsung bs you here about OLED's not being bright enough is total BS.

• Like 1

The last shootout I saw in the US didn’t have the Philips but had the Samsung, LG, Panasonic and Sony (with Master Series FALD And OLED)

The Sony was the winner by a smidge.

I think the Sony video processing is worth the premium if you watch a lot of HD and lower res stuff.

I might be swayed towards the LG OLED if only because it has display led Dolby Vision

I ended up with both default_smile.png I find the ZD9 perfect for what I use it for - daily TV watching which may have burn in issues on OLED due to the station logos and Netflix Dolby Vision And HDR is stunning too. Also great for some dim lit HDR scenes.

The C7 is great for everything else. I even game on it.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, DoggieHowser said:

OLED colors pop because the black floor is so low. But in actual HDR performance it is half of what a FALD display like the ZD9 can deliver.

The percentage of viewing I would watch on my Oled is 35% Youtube,35% Netflix,15% apple movies and 15% FTA TV.With my HDR content on Netflix being about 25% that is 20% at most of HDR viewing.Clearly my TV's SDR performance blows any other consideration into the weeds.

On 05/12/2018 at 8:54 PM, dcathro said:

Very Nice!!! Congratulations!

I have the Sony AE1 and love it. Yours should be better still.

Please report back on what you think of it.

Received it last night and only got to play around for a few hours. 

Initial impressions :

- 4k hdr dolby vision on Netflix looks amazing

-fta HD channels look great

-fta SD channels look like absolute ****. The old 1080p plasma definitely did a better job. For the obvious reason of having a much lower resolution closer to the SD source. Only reason this matters is that I pretty much only watch the sbs food channel on fta

- Android TV is fast and easy to use

- ran test slides and pretty much perfect panel at 5% greyscale. Even below 5% it's solid. 

- very slight physical bend on top edge of panel

- slight red tint on the lower left quadrant of screen, which affects full screen white and yellow slides as far as I can see. Eg those colours look non uniform 

The muppets at Toll delivered the TV flat on its back in the back of a Ute. 

So I'm likely getting it replaced with a new panel, which isn't bent. 

Hopefully will have same level of perfect uniformity(banding) and fix the red tint. 

I do realise it's a gamble and the next panel might be worse in all aspects. Just not feeling right about a panel that travelled from Penrith to Sydney cbd flat in the back of Ute. 

Fingers crossed! 

3 hours ago, Shankman said:

Wow, Sorry to hear this!

I have so many horror courier stories, I could start a thread.

5 hours ago, DoggieHowser said:

My C7 from JB came in a small private courier van but was upright and the delivery guy asked me to check the “tilt sensors” attached to the box to confirm that it had not been laid on one side or angled incorrectly.

Didn't realise the boxes had sensors! 

Thanks for the heads up, I'll see if the Sony box has it also, doubt it though. What did it look like? 

Edited by Shankman

On 12/12/2018 at 2:10 PM, Shankman said:

Received it last night and only got to play around for a few hours.

Hopefully will have same level of perfect uniformity(banding) and fix the red tint. 

I do realise it's a gamble and the next panel might be worse in all aspects. Just not feeling right about a panel that travelled from Penrith to Sydney cbd flat in the back of Ute. 

Fingers crossed! 

I'm still waiting for my 65A9F, was supposed to be here Monday 10/12 but just got a reply today saying the Sydney warehouse expects stock tomorrow. Your story doesn't fill me with much confidence, will make sure to look how it got transported when it arrives, and I hope they don't try to palm your faulty unit off to me.

21 minutes ago, curious1 said:

I'm still waiting for my 65A9F, was supposed to be here Monday 10/12 but just got a reply today saying the Sydney warehouse expects stock tomorrow. Your story doesn't fill me with much confidence, will make sure to look how it got transported when it arrives, and I hope they don't try to palm your faulty unit off to me.

Coincidentally my replacement is one of their last two A9Fs this side of Xmas they reckon, getting delivered to the Sydney warehouse tomorrow . I'm guessing yours is the other one. 

I had a long chat with the warehouse manager, he assured me everything is done right from their main warehouse. TV stays upright. 

I only had issues as my first TV was sent from their Jamison town store.(penrith way) and the stores must not follow same process as main warehouse. 

I'm still considering driving to eastern Creek to pick it up though, as I've lost confidence in them. 

19 hours ago, Shankman said:

Didn't realise the boxes had sensors! 

Thanks for the heads up, I'll see if the Sony box has it also, doubt it though. What did it look like? 

Don't know about the Sony. Never seen them on anything else before. Not even on my Loewe but those were shipped on a freaking pallet so unlikely they could be tilted to anything.

I am looking at unboxing LG C7 unboxing videos on youtube and none of them show or mention these sensors so it must be unique to LG in Australia. 

Has no one else seen this here in Australia?

15 minutes ago, DoggieHowser said:

Don't know about the Sony. Never seen them on anything else before. Not even on my Loewe but those were shipped on a freaking pallet so unlikely they could be tilted to anything.

I am looking at unboxing LG C7 unboxing videos on youtube and none of them show or mention these sensors so it must be unique to LG in Australia. 

Has no one else seen this here in Australia?

My LG C7 from The good guys also had the tilt sensor.It kinda freaked me out when I unboxed the TV cause it's hard to get the stand attached without laying the screen down.I managed to get the stand on with the screen upright though.JB Hi Fi seem to have a no laying the screen down policy as I was there on Wednesday picking up a LCD as a second screen and they made me sign a form that I was laying it down in the back of my car at my own risk.

• Like 1

I don't think laying a panel gently down flat is that much of a problem per-se and is unlikely IMHO to hurt it.

Being jolted and jarred while laying flat in transit is a whole other issue and where damage is likely to occur as internal components are probably unsupported in that orientation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nevyn72 said:

I don't think laying a panel gently down flat is that much of a problem per-se and is unlikely IMHO to hurt it.

Being jolted and jarred while laying flat in transit is a whole other issue and where damage is likely to occur as internal components are probably unsupported in that orientation.

A friend of mine who got the C7 ahead of me was reading the installation guide and the guide was very particular about how the panel was to be handled while being assembled. Even how the hand gripped the front plastic panel was highlighted. 

OLED panels are thin and delicate - they are just attached to the plastic panel (glass on models E and up), so strong pressure from fingers while lifting and balancing can damage the OLED panel itself. 

Screen Shot 2018-12-15 at 9.36.47 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-15 at 9.38.40 AM.png

• Like 1