Does anyone know if either Sony or Panasonic will be releasing the 77inch models in Oz this year? 

LG have the C8 listed at $14999 but haven't seen any mention in the press of 77 inch for the other two companies. 

10 hours ago, mikezilla2 said:

LG oled update

This has been going on for some time... still not resolved from what I can see?

Starting with the long-awaited update for 2016 TVs to fix the Dolby Vision over HDMI black level issue, the news is mixed. The good news is that LG’s engineers are very much still working on it; it has definitely not been abandoned. The bad news is that they still cannot confirm a roll out date, despite a similar (not quite 100% successful) fix having rolled out to LG’s 2017 OLED models back in February.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2018/04/18/lg-oled-tv-update-lg-responds-to-ongoing-gaming-dolby-vision-and-contrast-performance-issues/#489373cd3637

JSmith :ninja:

• Like 1

I had a play round with the C8 last weekend with my test slides to compare to my C7 and the screen is pretty much the same which is to say i think it's the exact same panel with a few tweaks from an upgraded processor that makes little difference in the real world content.I couldn't find the new BFI feature in the menus in the content i tried which is what i was most interested in to see if it could be used without dimming the picture to badly.If that feature actually works it might give content a more "plasma" like look but i'll wait for Vincent Theo from HD TV test to give the verdict on that.Style wise the dark grey finish on the back of the TV and stand look classier than the white of the C7.Which ever way you go with old or new model your going to get a great TV.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Dipped my toe into the 4K pond this week when I picked up a Sony Bravia 65" A1 from Costco for $5K, a Panasonic UB900 blu ray player from Myers for $300, and 3 UHD Blu rays (Mad Max, Jupiter Landing, and Pacific Rim) from JB for $40.

I thought that standard blu ray looked beautiful through the Sony, but the UHD is something else.

• Like 1

I noticed the opening price for the 77" LG C8 seems to be $13K.Has anyone seen the big boy Oled in the flesh yet?What price would they have to drop to before they become a serious contender as a purchase?

1 hour ago, IviewHD said:

I noticed the opening price for the 77" LG C8 seems to be $13K.Has anyone seen the big boy Oled in the flesh yet?What price would they have to drop to before they become a serious contender as a purchase?

Considering you'll most likely be able to pick up a 65" C8 in 12 months time for sub $4K the current price jump for the additional 12" is quite dissuasive. So to throw my hat in the ring and indulge in some wishful thinking i'd suggest a price of around $7K...

2 hours ago, Black Label said:

Considering you'll most likely be able to pick up a 65" C8 in 12 months time for sub $4K the current price jump for the additional 12" is quite dissuasive. So to throw my hat in the ring and indulge in some wishful thinking i'd suggest a price of around $7K...

I was thinking about $9K would be tempting.I just went into my local HN hoping to see one but it was a dogs breakfast with last years demos being cleared off the floor and empty spaces waiting for new models to go in.They did have a 77" W7 demo up for grabs for $10k though.

I just saw a 77inch 8k LG Oled at Yodabashi in Akihabra a few days back.   No idea what the source material was or if it was 8k but it looked damn fine.    A lot of 00000 in the yen price is all I remember ?

Regards Cazzesman

• Like 1

The new Sony 2018 A8F (AF8);

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1523863026

A8F excels in the area of picture quality. We found the 2018 OLED panel to have reduced banding, overall great panel homogeneity, and higher peak brightness than last year’s Sony A1. Sony’s video processing is great and the company has further improved motion performance, meaning that A8F sets a new bar for OLED motion performance. The Dolby Vision update is still pending for the 2018 models but it must be near considering that it is currently rolling out for the 2017 models. This is the first 2018 OLED TV that we have had in for review but because A8F matches or tops last year’s A1 model in all picture related areas, A8F is hereby awarded our Reference Award anno 2018.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JSmith said:

The new Sony 2018 A8F (AF8);

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1523863026

A8F excels in the area of picture quality. We found the 2018 OLED panel to have reduced banding, overall great panel homogeneity, and higher peak brightness than last year’s Sony A1. Sony’s video processing is great and the company has further improved motion performance, meaning that A8F sets a new bar for OLED motion performance. The Dolby Vision update is still pending for the 2018 models but it must be near considering that it is currently rolling out for the 2017 models. This is the first 2018 OLED TV that we have had in for review but because A8F matches or tops last year’s A1 model in all picture related areas, A8F is hereby awarded our Reference Award anno 2018.

That review is a dud because the LG C8 was found to have picture processing that was "equal if not better" in the words of the website but the LG was downgraded from reference because of the issue with raised blacks on some dolby vision titles.This is no fair as the Sony has not been tested with the same dolby vision content and therefore until it passes the same test they can't claim it to be reference over the LG.

• Like 2

differences might be caused by panel variations so one sample could be better than other, they both seems to be similar in picture quality, LG in this sampled unit bit better...

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c8

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/a8f

other reviewers might get different samples so scoring and verdict will vary slightly